Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol appreciation post!!!

Postby LuciousAllen on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:
sirronstuff wrote:he gets knocked around so easily though. Very skilled, but just not very tough.

Thats close to what I said. I think he's very tough, it's just that his physical weakness doesn't back him up. When he drives to the lane he looks like he's getting pushed but it takes very little contact to move him that's all.

He's mentioned that this coming summer, he probably will not take part of any activity with the Spanish national team. Assuming that actually happens, he will hopefully be able to spend some time developing some strength (ideally without sacrificing his quickness) -- it could help prolong his career.
LuciousAllen

Postby StudentOfTheGame on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:24 pm

Loved Gasol when he was in Memphis.

It's hard to come across legit 7 footers with brains and skills.

When my pops called me at work and informed me on the trade i was giddy in a way i cannot describe.
StudentOfTheGame

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:25 pm

LuciousAllen wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
sirronstuff wrote:he gets knocked around so easily though. Very skilled, but just not very tough.

Thats close to what I said. I think he's very tough, it's just that his physical weakness doesn't back him up. When he drives to the lane he looks like he's getting pushed but it takes very little contact to move him that's all.

He's mentioned that this coming summer, he probably will not take part of any activity with the Spanish national team. Assuming that actually happens, he will hopefully be able to spend some time developing some strength (ideally without sacrificing his quickness) -- it could help prolong his career.

Good point, I never really thought about his longevity. :jam2:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Gasol being at the 4 means he doesn't have to go up agains the likes of Ming, O'Neal, Howard, Perkins etc. Those are players that outweigh him considerably. That is now what Bynum has to contend. Gasol will match up against power forwards who aren't as beefy. He can face them up...lull them for that mid range jumper, go around them for scores or set them up with his back to the basket with his array of post moves. I don't believe Gasol will pack on the muscle that everyone wants him to. He is just not a "power" player per se. His longevity will be helped more by saving him from the wear and tear of playing at the 5.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:37 pm

gcclaker wrote:Gasol being at the 4 means he doesn't have to go up agains the likes of Ming, O'Neal, Howard, Perkins etc. Those are players that outweigh him considerably. That is now what Bynum has to contend. Gasol will match up against power forwards who aren't as beefy. He can face them up...lull them for that mid range jumper, go around them for scores or set them up with his back to the basket with his array of post moves. I don't believe Gasol will pack on the muscle that everyone wants him to. He is just not a "power" player per se. His longevity will be helped more by saving him from the wear and tear of playing at the 5.

that's true too, but a little more muscle will keep him healthier longer. You're completely right about his type of play though. I would like to see a little muscle though to put up with guys like Duncan or West or KG, who are all pretty big, or at least muscular in their own way.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:50 pm

^ I see your point...yep a little would benefit him. It will keep Gasol from injury too. He's been in The League seven years and he hasn't really bulked up that much. Maybe it's just him. Muscle tone and definition should be his goal so as not to lose his touch around the basket. Gasol also needs to work on his balance. Sometimes I see him knocked down for no apparent reason that it is comical.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:57 pm

About KG, he's only 250, although he's 1-2 inches shorter than Gasol. But Garnett is naturally strong... you know, most of us met those guys that look kind of... thin, wiry, but they are at the same time they are stronger then they look. KG is that guy, Gasol is not. Sure, he can work some more on his strength, but he will never become a power player. It is not even necessary anymore. Hit that J that no one can really block, or take them inside and finish with those sweet post moves. That's Pau's role. If he can't shoot it, he'll pass the ball. And he's the best passer on this team anyway.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:57 pm

gcclaker wrote:^ I see your point...yep a little would benefit him. It will keep Gasol from injury too. He's been in The League seven years and he hasn't really bulked up that much. Maybe it's just him. Muscle tone and definition should be his goal so as not to lose his touch around the basket. Gasol also needs to work on his balance. Sometimes I see him knocked down for no apparent reason that it is comical.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I see him driving to the basket and he gets tapped and he flails... It's like watching a llama.

But if he gains even a little tone, he'll be better off for longer. I don't think he should bulk up, your right about that because it would throw off his soft touch. A little muscle couldn't hurt anyone though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:17 pm

Pau is the best first half player on our roster. He looked great on that stretch against Denver when he made 4 shots, I think, in a row (including that dunk).

I think Pau leading the charge early and Kobe putting the nails in the coffin works out very well for offensive balance for the full 48.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:04 pm

he Kung Pau tweety bird
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby indeed on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:17 pm

22-11 not bad. biggest put back in the game to solidify it. he just does that. Did in playoffs. Continues
game 7 against suns.
finals against celts
As the man thats pretty shakey stuff, when you want to be considered greatest ever. Top 15 no doubt. Top 10 when you show.
indeed

Postby gill on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:24 pm

Pau is putting up MVP like numbers so far this year....
gill

Postby karacha on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:45 pm

Yup, 22-11 is definitely not bad, and shooting over 50% helps too. Gasol continues to impress. That guy was made for Phil's offense.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby indeed on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:47 pm

karacha wrote:Yup, 22-11 is definitely not bad, and shooting over 50% helps too. Gasol continues to impress. That guy was made for Phil's offense.

he was made to be Kobes sidekick. He submits to kobes game yet still does his damage. Allows kobe freedoms he had with shaq
game 7 against suns.
finals against celts
As the man thats pretty shakey stuff, when you want to be considered greatest ever. Top 15 no doubt. Top 10 when you show.
indeed

Postby ZenMaster4President on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:08 pm

Can we please start banning people who call him Gasoft and such?
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby ReaListik on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:30 pm

Pau is a versatile big man that can pass and shoot with a euro-influenced shot selection. He is a very good fit for the triangle offense, and brings that 2nd scoring option consistently that Kobe needed for support. I see him going down as one of the greatest Lakers to wear the jersey. His personality is also not cancerous, and he can help out where he's needed.

His numbers this year are great, and he's going to keep pushing it till the Lakers win it all.
ReaListik

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:05 am

Gasol is just killing it. He's bringing the consistency that Lamar never has. Gasol is nowhere near soft. He handled both Timmy D and KG last year on D quite nicely. Guy brings it. He's a winner and he's going to get that ring with Kobe this year.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Showtime is Magic on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:18 am

He brings intensity EVERY night. I think Bynum took some pressure off of him this season. He seems more comfortable.
Image Image
Showtime is Magic

Postby SignPippenNow on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:26 am

Pau ate Dirk's lunch last night. He shut him down basically on D and proved he is a better PF than Dirk.
SignPippenNow

Postby jlkr on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:36 am

Which was a good thing since Bynum had a really awful game. He couldn't shoot, he couldn't finish, he couldn't even hold on to some passes, he helped to let Dampier get 13 offensive rebounds, he was in foul trouble, etc. In other words, a Kwame-like game. Had me screaming at the TV. But Gasol was there making plays throughout the game.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:19 am

jlkr wrote:Which was a good thing since Bynum had a really awful game. He couldn't shoot, he couldn't finish, he couldn't even hold on to some passes, he helped to let Dampier get 13 offensive rebounds, he was in foul trouble, etc. In other words, a Kwame-like game. Had me screaming at the TV. But Gasol was there making plays throughout the game.

Bynum certainly seemed to struggle. He made a few plays, but as I've said, bigger and more physical Centers are just taking him apart. Guys like Dampier and Perkins are going to have their way with him because he isn't mean enough and won't bang.

Pau played fantastic, and played especially great defense. He kept Dirk outside, forced him to take those horrible, horrible shots. I knew when it came to the fourth that if Pau played him that way the whole game, the fourth quarter would change. Great game by Pau last night. So far that's two nights in a row that were a AS type performance.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby stack on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:29 pm

I think any team would love to have him not only for his skills but his great attitude too.
stack

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Pau is the most skilled player in the league at his position, second only to Tim Duncan. That says a lot. Here's saying that he sheds the "soft" label he has been given by the time the years up.
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

Postby karacha on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:33 pm

ShaqDieselLaker wrote:Pau is the most skilled player in the league at his position, second only to Tim Duncan.

You know, I really agree with this. People can say -- well, Amareis a more explosive scorer, Dirk is a better shooter and KG defends better. But the truth is -- when it comes to fundamentals, IQ, and versatility, only Duncan is better. Think about it: Pau can score in many different ways: his mid range J is money, his post game excellent (finesse and not power, but it gets the job done), his ambidexterous hooks probably the best in the league. He is the best big passer in the game right now, he rebounds, plays ok defense (certainly better then Amare, but obviously not like KG), he simply has the knowledge of the game.

Unlike many other 4s, he can actually play center and play it really well. Only Duncan can do all these things -- and play much better D then Pau. And that really says a lot. Dude is a legit all-star, who is kinda quiet and perhaps not as popular as some other power forwards.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby stack on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:35 pm

And how can you possibly measure the intangibles that he brings to help the team win too?

Same with TD.

karacha wrote:
ShaqDieselLaker wrote:Pau is the most skilled player in the league at his position, second only to Tim Duncan.

You know, I really agree with this. People can say -- well, Amareis a more explosive scorer, Dirk is a better shooter and KG defends better. But the truth is -- when it comes to fundamentals, IQ, and versatility, only Duncan is better. Think about it: Pau can score in many different ways: his mid range J is money, his post game excellent (finesse and not power, but it gets the job done), his ambidexterous hooks probably the best in the league. He is the best big passer in the game right now, he rebounds, plays ok defense (certainly better then Amare, but obviously not like KG), he simply has the knowledge of the game.

Unlike many other 4s, he can actually play center and play it really well. Only Duncan can do all these things -- and play much better D then Pau. And that really says a lot. Dude is a legit all-star, who is kinda quiet and perhaps not as popular as some other power forwards.
stack

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion