Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:22 pm

He's looked so much more aggressive today. I like it. Still not the Pau we remember, but that guy might never come back.

This version can and will win us games, but he might not be worth the money.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:25 pm

therealdeal wrote:He's looked so much more aggressive today. I like it. Still not the Pau we remember, but that guy might never come back.

This version can and will win us games, but he might not be worth the money.

Yeah that Pau is long gone. Just took a top-of-the-arc three pointer. :man10:

He's still a good player but like you said he's just not worth the price of admission.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:29 pm

The Original 81 wrote:Pau's post game only consists of fadeaway jumpers. WTF happened to his low post game? I mean every touch results in a fadeaway. Like he doesn't even try anymore...

I think he simply doesn't want to take the physical beating anymore. Whether that's due to aging, or just being passive I have no idea, but to me it seems that he'd rather take open shots than battle down low like he used to during our 2 title runs.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Well years of being beaten up and get no calls...Pau says forget that I'm shooting threes
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby The Original 81 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Weezy wrote:
The Original 81 wrote:Pau's post game only consists of fadeaway jumpers. WTF happened to his low post game? I mean every touch results in a fadeaway. Like he doesn't even try anymore...

I think he simply doesn't want to take the physical beating anymore. Whether that's due to aging, or just being passive I have no idea, but to me it seems that he'd rather take open shots than battle down low like he used to during our 2 title runs.

He definitely is choosing not to play the Gastrong low post game. We should try hypnosis or something, bring it back from wherever its hidden in his brain.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby karacha on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Better. I know he's not what he used to be, but this is good. Just give us this kind of effort every time. Good stuff from Pau.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Please play like this more often

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:54 pm

He BOXED OUT TONIGHT! :sing: :sing: :sing:

In fact he did that on multiple occasions! Not perfect, but the effort and attitude was back. So nice to see him playing aggressively.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:55 pm

The effort was there, just has to be there on a more consistent basis. Still too many minutes played as well IMO.
The Original 81

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:55 pm

aggressive pau is good pau
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:56 pm

played heavy minutes but put sooo much effort into boxing out and rebounding. shot bad but didn't foul once! liked the effort from him tonight.
Ariza3

Postby gill on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:56 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:aggressive pau is good pau

Trading block Pau is a good Pau
gill

Postby Finwë on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:04 pm

Very good effort, especially on the boards. Still had a couple of awful sequences (especially defensively) and his shot selection was questionable. Regardless, I want more of this Pau.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby bystander on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:50 am

40 mins tonight, 12 in the league in mins per game and 3rd in total minutes this far.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby The Rock on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:55 am

bystander wrote:40 mins tonight, 12 in the league in mins per game and 3rd in total minutes this far.

i think it somewhat begins with Pau. When the 2nd unit is in he should be the go to guy. Instead he floats around in the perimeter and passes the ball to mediocre players and gets out of their way. IF he posts up against the other teams backups, produces and helps carry the offense we would have enough momentum, when the starters can come back in and increase. Then he doesn't have to play big minutes because the game would be decided then by early 4th Q....Im complaining about what he does in 2nd Q mind you with the 2nd unit alongside him, so theres no fatigue involved here that early in the game. He has to make every minute count when Kobe or Dwight aren't on the floor. He cant be complaining about minutes and fatigue but not ensure he doesnt have to play big minutes. Hes talented enough to impact so many areas on the floor if he wills himself. But hes not doing it

We've already seen that Lakers management are not going to tolerate sub par play. He might be on the trading block next if he underperforms over the course of the year considering how much hes getting paid and how much hes owed next year which would make the Lakers pay heavy penalties for carrying an expensive roster.
Last edited by The Rock on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:55 am

bystander wrote:40 mins tonight, 12 in the league in mins per game and 3rd in total minutes this far.

that'll even out now that a potato is not driving the bus
lakersyunowin

Postby bystander on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:59 am

fkmikebrown wrote:

Let me tell you i'm glad you're next victim is Morris. I'll ask for Blake but i beg you don't make Pau the next one

Luke : check
Brown : check
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:00 am

bystander wrote:
fkmikebrown wrote:

Let me tell you i'm glad you're next victim is Morris. I'll ask for Blake but i beg you don't make Pau the next one

Luke : check
Brown : check

to be determined

but no, i would never choose pau...even when he plays crappy i still like him too much for that. despite the crap we give him, i really want him to succeed.
lakersyunowin

Postby Tobias Funke on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:15 am

If Phil gets hired he'll join Kobe as a really big supporter of Pau, but personally I still wouldn't be surprised if they ended up moving him for someone younger/cheaper.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:16 am

Tobias Funke wrote:If Phil gets hired he'll join Kobe as a really big supporter of Pau, but personally I still wouldn't be surprised if they ended up moving him for someone younger/cheaper.

there's a good chance that the only move we'll need to make is to get phil.
lakersyunowin

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:21 am

If we get Phil, Pau isnt going anywhere. Phil likes him and his talents too much. Fit perfectly with the triangle as past has shown.
Ariza3

Postby GoldenKnight on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:53 am

Why anyone here wants Pau gone is beyond me, sure he has his days & moments, but overall his skills are what makes our front court stick together. He has so many thing going for him, the scoring (when aggressive) the passing, & the rebounding. Defense hasn't always been his greatest strength, but I would say the pros overshadow the cons. If he were gone, we would miss him more than you guys think.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby dak22 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:50 am

GoldenKnight wrote:Why anyone here wants Pau gone is beyond me, sure he has his days & moments, but overall his skills are what makes our front court stick together. He has so many thing going for him, the scoring (when aggressive) the passing, & the rebounding. Defense hasn't always been his greatest strength, but I would say the pros overshadow the cons. If he were gone, we would miss him more than you guys think.

People want pau gone for the same reason they wanted odom/bynum gone: to help improve the team.

His "pros" don't overshadow his cons: yes he can pass and score well, but that becomes a luxury when he's an average shooter beyond 15 feet, poor defender (at this stage) and too slow to not be a hinderance in this day and age.

This is crux for trading pau: his game doesn't mesh well with what is needed at the 4 today. The position has changed too much over the last few years: players playing the 4 need to be either be fast,(transition/defense) good shooters (spacing) or both. Pau provides neither, which negates his positives. Then add his age/effort/softness/mileage (he played in the olympics this summer), and it's deja vu come playoff time (remember phil pounding his chest during the dallas series where they swept us?).

Our roster is still to slow and with this gasol, it's bound to cause another repeat of 2010/11 even if phil gets here. We need to improve our roster more and trading gasol might be the only way to do it.
dak22

Postby kobebryant248 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:46 am

gasol played yesterday good and was very active despite his bad shooting he did a good job yesterday espicially rebounding and playing defense. he looked engaged . liked his attitude and showing his emotions . hope he continues to be agessive . liked it . his performance was by far better then all his last couple of games
kobebryant248

Postby khmrP on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:11 am

still as soft as ever IMO, gets pushed around on both sides of the ball
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion