Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion

Postby lakersStan24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:42 am

KB24 wrote:
lakersStan24 wrote:Pau so underated it's disgusting to Me the Guy is a beast on both ends and the guy can hit 3's like they jump shots what other player his size can do that

You mean the guy that has been owned in b2b post seasons by Carl Landry, Serge Ibaka, Kenneth Faried and do forth?

Beast on both ends? get real my friend. On the downside of his career, Pau isn't going to "recover". He is more likely to be worse going forward. He never had it but Kobe kept him on his toes for a few years before Pau reverted back to the Memphis version.

I am Real the Guy averaged 17.7 ppg last year but He had a bad season lmao the Guy is a top Rebounder too and is so versatail for a Big Man
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby KB24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:12 am

Yes he is versatile and he is a very good player. Thats about it.
What he lacks is that fire that burns from within, that desperation that great players feel when facing adversity.

Pau's dumb pass that was intercepted by Durant possibly cost us that game 4...when he passed up on a WIDE OPEN 10 footer.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:58 am

lakersStan24 wrote:
KB24 wrote:
lakersStan24 wrote:Pau so underated it's disgusting to Me the Guy is a beast on both ends and the guy can hit 3's like they jump shots what other player his size can do that

You mean the guy that has been owned in b2b post seasons by Carl Landry, Serge Ibaka, Kenneth Faried and do forth?

Beast on both ends? get real my friend. On the downside of his career, Pau isn't going to "recover". He is more likely to be worse going forward. He never had it but Kobe kept him on his toes for a few years before Pau reverted back to the Memphis version.

I am Real the Guy averaged 17.7 ppg last year but He had a bad season lmao the Guy is a top Rebounder too and is so versatail for a Big Man

He averaged 17 points in the regular season on his worst FG% as a Laker. In the post season he averaged only 12.5 points on 43% from the field. No one in their right mind could deny that he had a poor season last year by his standards.

And no one is denying his talent and ability, but we've lost faith in his strength; both mentally and physically. While last season's mental struggles were understandable in a way, two years of poor playoff performances are not. He cannot continue to struggle like that if this team is going to be effective.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:38 am

KB24 wrote:Yes he is versatile and he is a very good player. Thats about it.
What he lacks is that fire that burns from within, that desperation that great players feel when facing adversity.

Pau's dumb pass that was intercepted by Durant possibly cost us that game 4...when he passed up on a WIDE OPEN 10 footer.

If the Alternative is Smith, then that burning desire etc. stuff would be lacking even more so, that guy is a MORON when it comes to his decision making on the court.
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:17 am

This thread wasn't bumped for over a month, and I see that as a good thing for Pau. We clearly haven't thought much about him, we're not expecting a ton from him, he's now the 4th most important Laker, and with that much pressure taken off, I think he might just surprise us and look great out there again. He'll have Howard drawing a lot of attention, Nash finding him for easy hoops, he's our 4th option and I think he's going to enjoy and do well in the role.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:52 am

Weezy wrote:This thread wasn't bumped for over a month, and I see that as a good thing for Pau. We clearly haven't thought much about him, we're not expecting a ton from him, he's now the 4th most important Laker, and with that much pressure taken off, I think he might just surprise us and look great out there again. He'll have Howard drawing a lot of attention, Nash finding him for easy hoops, he's our 4th option and I think he's going to enjoy and do well in the role.

Yeah, I think 3 years of being Kobe's only reliable offensive weapon (Bynum being injured so often) took a toll on him mentally. I think this season he'll be a little looser out here.

I loved just that tiny clip of him touch passing it to Howard. The team is really talking up his distributing ability so I'm thinking they're going to want him to focus on that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:07 am

The Lakers will always be stuck with the same problems with Gasol. Inspite of his capabilities, being too deferential when he has matchup against a defender who has no business in covering him one on one or overthinking at times out there. I often find it frustrating when Gasol is wasting two to six seconds doing jabs steps instead of just taking it to the basket. Nash will get him looks but Bryant will have to push him into Black Swan mode...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:20 am

One thing about this guy...

he's a great teammate. That picture of him yelling when Dwight threw down that dunk? That had me almost as excited as the dunk itself. It shows a passionate Pau again and a team that's already gelling quickly. Part of that is guys like him who are willing and capable passers.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 am

^That same fire and passion we need when things get tough for him & this team. I love Gasol, but I do miss the 2010 version; If he can in any way duplicate even 70-75% of that with this team, we're golden.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby gcclaker on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:34 am

therealdeal wrote:One thing about this guy...

he's a great teammate. That picture of him yelling when Dwight threw down that dunk? That had me almost as excited as the dunk itself. It shows a passionate Pau again and a team that's already gelling quickly. Part of that is guys like him who are willing and capable passers.

A major part of that is Gasol not having to deal with trade rumors anymore as Laker brass thinks he is a better fit WITH Howard which is valid. With Bryant sticking up for him, I'm sure he finds that re-assuring. Even Brown does not want to part with him.

I agree that Gasol is an excellent passer. Right now, his mindset is pass first shoot second. I'm fine with that but when you have some second string 4 on you, demand the damn ball and school the guy. With extra attention now to Nash and Howard, I doubt he'll command the same coverage. I can't wait for the season to start...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:42 am

I really hope he comes out firing like that. If he's got the favorable matchup (which let's be honest a lot of times he will), he should be the one attacking down low. He showed me with his Spanish team he's still a low post beast and if we're playing the Pistons or some damn thing, he should be on display down low. Have Dwight play the opposite side of the paint near the area he uses for that little bank shot. Then if/when the double comes Pau is more than capable of throwing the ball in the vecinity of the rim for Dwight.

Honestly teams had to double and triple team three of our players (Kobe, Pau, and Dwight) just to slow them down. Not to mention Nash commands full attention when he has the ball and Metta will surprise anyone not expecting him to score. Our offense, once it's clicking, will be unstoppable in our starting five. Just unstoppable.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:55 am

With the Princeton offense being installed, Gasol won't have to facilitate as much or Nash will have the burden of totally orchestrating the offense. It takes Brown's playcalling MOSTLY OUT of the equation. This system should play to his strenghts.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:16 am

gcclaker wrote:With the Princeton offense being installed, Gasol won't have to facilitate as much or Nash will have the burden of totally orchestrating the offense. It takes Brown's playcalling MOSTLY OUT of the equation. This system should play to his strenghts.

Yeah, Brown's "traditional system" of calling a play for so-and-so every time down the floor was awful. I hate that idea after watching Showtime followed by the Triangle. Motion offenses are the way to go. They're better than Isolations and play calls, that's for damn sure.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:39 am

Well I'm sure this is gonna be Pau last chance at redeeming himself. If he flops again this season, he might be dealt. The thing that baffles me is Pau should be the type of player you expect to play well even in his mid 30s. He doesn't rely on athleticism or speed.

He does look like he put on some muscle over the summer. He was getting pushed around by small guys last year so hopefully more mass will help him stand his ground.
nthydro

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:31 pm

^ I don't think it is. He's got until Kobe retires or turns on him and I just don't see Kobe turning on him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:40 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ I don't think it is. He's got until Kobe retires or turns on him and I just don't see Kobe turning on him.

Crazy how he and Bryant have such a kinship. 24 values Gasol's presence more than any teammate I've seen him with except Fisher.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:47 pm

gcclaker wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ I don't think it is. He's got until Kobe retires or turns on him and I just don't see Kobe turning on him.

Crazy how he and Bryant have such a kinship. 24 values Gasol's presence more than any teammate I've seen him with except Fisher.

I think a lot of it has to do with Pau being a non-alpha male type of guy. Of he was like Shaq, I'm sure things would be different.
nthydro

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:50 pm

nthydro wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

I think a lot of it has to do with Pau being a non-alpha male type of guy. Of he was like Shaq, I'm sure things would be different.

I think that makes sense. Pau is a perfect fit next to Kobe when his mind is in the game because he CAN be the guy, but he doesn't LIKE to be the guy. Or he at least can be okay with NOT being the guy...

guy.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:50 pm

therealdeal wrote:One thing about this guy...

Whoa!! Me miss this. Me need link now. Please!! Not sure where to search. Need to find quick though!! Me can't be alone here...... :man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:52 pm

therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:54 pm

therealdeal wrote:
gcclaker wrote:With the Princeton offense being installed, Gasol won't have to facilitate as much or Nash will have the burden of totally orchestrating the offense. It takes Brown's playcalling MOSTLY OUT of the equation. This system should play to his strenghts.

Yeah, Brown's "traditional system" of calling a play for so-and-so every time down the floor was awful. I hate that idea after watching Showtime followed by the Triangle. Motion offenses are the way to go. They're better than Isolations and play calls, that's for damn sure.

God was he really doing that, and that abortion was what we had to show for it?? :hurl:
LTLakerFan

Postby gcclaker on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:59 pm

therealdeal wrote:
nthydro wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

I think that makes sense. Pau is a perfect fit next to Kobe when his mind is in the game because he CAN be the guy, but he doesn't LIKE to be the guy. Or he at least can be okay with NOT being the guy...

guy.

Gasol puts team first even to his own detriment yet he does not bemoan his touches. Even when he does which is news, it is conveyed politely sans the usual histrionics from more celebrated teammates. Yeah, he's a guy's guy.

:man10:

I want to see that spinning lefty hook again more.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:25 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

God was he really doing that, and that abortion was what we had to show for it?? :hurl:

Yep. Straight from Kobe's mouth in an interview recently about what the Princeton offense meant to the team. Last season they called plays for either him, Pau, or Bynum to get the ball. In these situations those guys would be relied on to do everything. That's why everyone stood around and watched.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:27 pm

gcclaker wrote:Gasol puts team first even to his own detriment yet he does not bemoan his touches. Even when he does which is news, it is conveyed politely sans the usual histrionics from more celebrated teammates. Yeah, he's a guy's guy.

:man10:

I want to see that spinning lefty hook again more.

Yeah, I miss his post game. I hope they find a way to put him there more often. He showed from 08-10 that his post repetoire was probably the best in the league during that time. He had a move and a counter move to everything, it was amazing. Now he's hardly down there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:59 pm

^Brown wanted to incorporate that San Antonio type of offense that worked for Duncan and Robinson but did not work. It was slow to develop and predictable. Gasol had these little flips and teardrops too. He was very effective with them even though Jackson called them "weenie" shots. Jamison has the same post game repertoire yet his looks funkier with odd body contortions.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion