Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion (p.270: Out 2 Games w/Concussion)

Postby John3:16 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm all in for Gay this year, but if we're trying to maximize the trade, gotta wait until next year and then we can get more. We see players. Owners see expiring millions.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:36 pm

man, as inconsistent as pau has been the last few years, it's really going to be sad to see him go
:man6:

i'll never forget the day we acquired him and the 2 titles he won in LA. such great times
432J

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:37 pm

^^ I'm with Borri, I think there will better value out there this summer than Gay. Maybe not better talent, but maybe more pieces and not the kind of cap inflexibility that we'd be locked in with if we trade for Gay. But who knows? Does Gay right now = championship either now or next year? If you are convinced yes, then you go for it. I'm unconvinced. I'd roll the dice and see what comes up this summer. Once you trade Pau, that's basically it. There's no undo. So I'd take my chances when he's got more value as an expiring.

Again, remember what Mitch was able to do with 9 million expiring. This summer he'd have $19 million. Last time his move got us three Finals appearances. There's no guarantees, but I think he could do well with Pau's expiring.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:39 pm

John3:16 wrote:I'm all in for Gay this year, but if we're trying to maximize the trade, gotta wait until next year and then we can get more. We see players. Owners see expiring millions.

^^ This is how I see it, too.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:12 pm

I'd pull the trade. I just don't see there being a ton more value out there than Gay in any situation. Unless you guys think someone would be willing to part with an even better player for Gasol and yes that includes the 20 million expiring.

Gay is a premier perimeter (tongue twister...) player. He gives us that extra explosive dimension, that extra scorer in the clutch. He's a nice guy to put next to Dwight... Sure, it means we're handicapped in a couple of years if it doesn't work out, but what else are we supposed to do exactly? We're handicapped RIGHT NOW. And I don't see there being any kind of package worth more...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:18 pm

Gay is shooting 40% this season and the reason he doesn't fit in with Zbo/Marc is because he likes to shoot a lot and take away from the two guys in the post. Just sharing a thought, I see Gay only adding to the "only 1 ball and not enough shots to go around" problem. nearly 17 shots to get 17-18pts, I'm sure prononents will also note that Nash can help him be more efficient but lets not play that game again when we've already did with Pau thus far.
khmrP

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:29 pm

khmrP wrote:Gay is shooting 40% this season and the reason he doesn't fit in with Zbo/Marc is because he likes to shoot a lot and take away from the two guys in the post. Just sharing a thought, I see Gay only adding to the "only 1 ball and not enough shots to go around" problem. nearly 17 shots to get 17-18pts, I'm sure prononents will also note that Nash can help him be more efficient but lets not play that game again when we've already did with Pau thus far.

I was just looking at his stats; Career 45.3 percent shooter; 34.5 from the 3-point line. Those aren't bad percentages. He's not my ideal fit. If Granger wasn't hurt, that's someone who I would target. 43.8 career FG%; 38.4 from the 3-point line, again. He can create his shot, his defense his ok, etc. I also liked the way he didn't back down from Lebron last year and competed. I've always liked his game.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby borri on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:34 pm

khmrP wrote:Gay is shooting 40% this season and the reason he doesn't fit in with Zbo/Marc is because he likes to shoot a lot and take away from the two guys in the post. Just sharing a thought, I see Gay only adding to the "only 1 ball and not enough shots to go around" problem. nearly 17 shots to get 17-18pts, I'm sure prononents will also note that Nash can help him be more efficient but lets not play that game again when we've already did with Pau thus far.

I don't see the comparison with Pau. Gay would benefit immensely with Nash.

1. Gay is extremely athletic and quick. And has a good mid range game. Which equals a very very good option for PnR with Nash.

2. He is an athletic player. He's only going to help us defensively. Seeing as we are slow as mules out there.

With that said, is there a better realistic option out there now? No. Next year, yes. I wouldn't be upset or excited if we traded for him using Pau.
borri

Postby KB24 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:48 am

Kit wrote:Even if Love is out for the season, I would trade Pau for him right now. Call me crazy.

I would call Minny crazy if they would do this deal.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:55 am

If Pau for Gay is an option you have to take it.. We're not going to get much more than that, even next year when he's an expiring contract. We could find better values but we're not going to get a better player than Gay for Pau, & that should be the main concern for a team with a 2 year title window.
lakersin4

Postby bystander on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:07 am

I remember the times when Pau Gasol hadn't lose more than 2 games in a row with the Lakers.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby LakerFanIam on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:23 am

Rudy Gay is a perfect fit for this team... Make it so Mitch...
LakerFanIam

Postby JLaker17 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 am

I really don't see him being traded anytime soon, which is bad for us as we will keep worsening our chances for the playoffs.
JLaker17

Postby Center Court on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:37 am

Gay is a great fit.. are there better fits? Yes, but seeing where Pau is valued, Id say that is the best we could do.

As others have said, Gay would benefit immensely. Much like Shawn Marion did. Pau hasn't benefited much because he is a post player and is no longer quick enough to roll effectively.
Center Court

Postby 432J on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:53 am

bystander wrote:I remember the times when Pau Gasol hadn't lose more than 2 games in a row with the Lakers.

i was thinking the same thing

it feels so long ago even though it was just a couple of years ago
432J

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:54 am

bystander wrote:I remember the times when Pau Gasol hadn't lose more than 2 games in a row with the Lakers.

So do I. This dude's decline, both mentally and physically, should take a toll on the hearts of anyone who loves Laker basketabll. He was THE reason we went to 3 straight Finals appearances.

If he wasn't getting 19 million a year, I'd love him to stay in a reduced role... but business is business.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:10 am

therealdeal wrote:

So do I. This dude's decline, both mentally and physically, should take a toll on the hearts of anyone who loves Laker basketabll. He was THE reason we went to 3 straight Finals appearances.

If he wasn't getting 19 million a year, I'd love him to stay in a reduced role... but business is business.

^^ Agree with both of you guys. That's another reason I've been wanting him to finish out the year here. Not at the cost of missing a great trade though, but as I've said, I think he'll bring more in the offseason as an expiring. I think we all know that he's the one trade piece we have in order to improve the franchise moving forward.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 am

well if he plays Fri he'll get his wish of playing in the paint but I sincerely doubt much changes and he'll continue to float around the perimiter cause Porkins will probably just push him all over like a rag doll.
khmrP

Postby Kit on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:07 pm

I hope he does good. We need his value to go up and gotta sell high.
Kit

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 pm

khmrP wrote:well if he plays Fri he'll get his wish of playing in the paint but I sincerely doubt much changes and he'll continue to float around the perimiter cause Porkins will probably just push him all over like a rag doll.

I have to respectfully (perhaps foolishly) disagree. Down on the block is his natural scoring position and I hope he embraces the opportunity to show d'Antoni what he can do when used correctly.

At the very least if he doesnt deliver, it will shut up people like me thta have been defending him the last couple years. :man1:
phoenixrisingla

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:16 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:
khmrP wrote:well if he plays Fri he'll get his wish of playing in the paint but I sincerely doubt much changes and he'll continue to float around the perimiter cause Porkins will probably just push him all over like a rag doll.

I have to respectfully (perhaps foolishly) disagree. Down on the block is his natural scoring position and I hope he embraces the opportunity to show d'Antoni what he can do when used correctly.

At the very least if he doesnt deliver, it will shut up people like me thta have been defending him the last couple years. :man1:

thats fine, we should expect/hope for the best for our players but when I see things like the post up attempt against Andre Miller in the Den game, I can only laugh in pain at his feeble attempt.
khmrP

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:28 pm

“@LakersReporter: Pau Gasol showed improvement in a Dr.'s exam today, but is still not cleared to play basketball. He'll be re-examined tomorrow morning.”

ugh.
Ariza3

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:35 pm

He will be cleared to play in 5 days when his a** gets traded.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby John3:16 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Doc Brown wrote:He will be cleared to play in 5 days when his a** gets traded.

Don't tease me.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:41 pm

Seriously he's hanging on here by a shoestring and I'm thinking this injury was the nail in his Laker coffin.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion