Pau Gasol frustrated and challenged by benching

Postby emplay on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Hey all,

Here’s the latest – a bit behind but just catching up!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 4710.story

Watch Kobe Bryant suggest that if he were a PG, he'd be the best
(co-written with Melissa Rohlin)
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 3070.story

NBA Power Rankings – Week 13
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-power-rankings-week-13-3/
Spurs #1, Clippers #3, Lakers #20

Lakers' Dwight Howard trying to play through pain
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... 1337.story

Lakers receive disabled player exception for injured Jordan Hill
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 4402.story

Preview: Lakers at Suns
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 1827.story

'Backstage Lakers' to air Army captain's family reunion
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 6666.story

Lakers withstand late rally to beat Hornets, 111-106
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 4968.story

Lakers forward developing 'Metta World Pranks'
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 4799.story

Dwight Howard to debut All-Star footwear collection
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 5837.story

Jordan Hill makes a visit to Staples Center after hip surgery
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 0562.story

Lakers: Week 14 predictions
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 8594.story

Lakers' Week 13 in review
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 7207.story

Lakers pull away in fourth quarter for victory over Thunder
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 5602.story

Thanks

Eric
Check me at at www.HOOPSWORLD.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Re: Pau Gasol frustrated and challenged by benching

Postby noobiew on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Pau please stop whining and crying, Clark was playing very well and fit in nicely with the starters and we are winning games at the moment, you played better off the bench and this what's best for the team.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Frustrated, get over it, everyone is sacrificing, Pau himself pointed that out. Challenged, good, seems that's what he needed up give his all out there. Kobe has pretty much given up shooting and scoring big, Nash has given up the ball, his assists and running the show, Dwight has given up being fed all he wants in the post. Pau can't give up starting?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Aonex on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:42 pm

Yeah, I'm surprised at the level of whining coming from Pau.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby S.R.05 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 pm

hey pau, remember when lamar embraced his bench role, kept producing, didnt complain, won 6th man of the year, and won 2 rings? that was pretty cool, huh..
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby charvin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:16 pm

He is not shutting up. At all. So much for 'the good of the team'.
charvin

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:25 pm

That's enough now Pau. We got it. I agree that he should have been back in the game down the stretch against NO, but last night he played the fourth and we lost in a similar situation where the opponent came back. So that really should be the end of the discussion now. You got your shot. You didn't help us win in that context. So now please stop talking about it in the future. Do what the coach says and suck it up for the rest of this season. Pau coming off the bench, whether he likes it or not, is better for the team and better for him.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ice-Fire on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:27 pm

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:hey pau, remember when lamar embraced his bench role, kept producing, didnt complain, won 6th man of the year, and won 2 rings? that was pretty cool, huh..

Maybe he does not want to be here? I'm not sure what's so hard to grasp about that.... it seems like hes finding reasons to get traded and does not have the desire to demand a trade, and is just waiting for the opportunity to signal a frustration by telling the Lakers directly that he has no desire to play off the bench so you better bench me or see me play lousy.
Ice-Fire

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:30 pm

Makes me wonder just how receptive Pau would be to coming off the bench if another coach had asked him to do it.

Things that make you go hmmmm...

The popular thing to do is trade Pau and I'm not refuting that. But I would rather hold off till next season when his trade value will be much better. Also, I would not want to trade for D'Antoni type players if we're possibly entertaining axing him this summer.

Minor tweaks using our HIll exemption as well as the vet min is probably the best method of attack for this season. But if management has to choose between D'Antoni and Pau...I think they HAVE to go with Phil...I mean Pau...ahh, we're f'd either way.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:32 pm

Is it safe to say that, as nice a guy he is outside of basketball-related activities, he's becoming a problem, a headache, a cancer on this team?
charvin

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:37 pm

To be a cancer, you would have to make it worse for his teammates.

I think there definitely is a difference of opinion between D'Antoni and Pau...but Pau has always been an excellent teammate. He doesn't agree with the demotion (which is Dan's call) but is willing to do it for his teammates. IMHO, he is far from a cancer to this team...but I'm not necessarily saying that something rotten does not exist on this team....it just isn't Pau.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:39 pm

charvin wrote:Is it safe to say that, as nice a guy he is outside of basketball-related activities, he's becoming a problem, a headache, a cancer on this team?

He's not a cancer. You would know full well if he was. We've all seen cancers on teams. What he is a sensitive guy who is getting his ego bruised by the coach. He thinks he's better than he is right now and he's not recognizing or acknowledging to himself that he's playing better off the bench than he was as a starter. He did state that he wasn't going to demand a trade or anything and that he would accept the role for the team.

Nonetheless, yes the whining has now become annoying. He's whined now for three straight games. Last night he got his minutes down the stretch and he didn't do anything with them, especially defensively. So no more of this talk from him. If he had a big game down the stretch and ensured our win, that would be one thing. But he didn't. So he shouldn't need to talk about this any more. He's got to allow D' Antoni the ability to do what he needs to do even if he and even I as a fan don't agree. Just continue to do your job.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ice-Fire on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:41 pm

Gasol might not be a cancer, but he's acting like one.. and by him whining.... it also sets the team in a bad way because the team does not have any cohesivness.
Ice-Fire

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:46 pm

Sorry for the constant 9ers references, but look at what Mike Singletary did and then Harbaugh comes in and boom...nearly overnight. In fact the SuperBaugh this year is a testament to good coaching.

Would Amare be accommodating to coming off the bench if D'Antoni asked....meanwhile, Woodson has and he seems to be flourishing in the role. Obviously the scene in NY is night and day with relatively the same roster and all it took was a change up top.

Look at what PJ is doing in Brooklyn after Avery stepped down. Same roster, different results.
1-4 under Brown, 4-1 with Bickerstaff, 15-21 with D'Antoni...pretty much with the same personnel.

Coaching matters. Give a team something to believe in and they will do whatever you want them to do.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:00 pm

The only reason I question that about Pau, is because of the constant noise he makes. I understand that you answer when asked a question, but go Kobe style, reply with one to two words answers, or a simple 'no comment' will do. He's just putting so much attention on himself right now...

What I also don't like about D'Antoni's demeanor is that he acts like Mike Brown during interviews. I don't like the replying with jokes thing because this is not the right situation to do so. Hard to take someone seriously when they feel it's ok to lighten the mood in a time like this.
charvin

Postby Blahdeh Deebatz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:43 pm

In Pau's defense, I would have been frustrated by being benched in the game against the Hornets as well. He was on pace to post a triple-double. His +/- was +21 while he was on the floor against the Hornets, and then he got benched while the Lakers almost blew the lead. His benching in the fourth quarter of that game was confusing to me because he was playing well.

But the game against the Suns, he did get playing time and didn't play all that great...
Blahdeh Deebatz

Postby Ice-Fire on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Blahdeh Deebatz wrote:In Pau's defense, I would have been frustrated by being benched in the game against the Hornets as well. He was on pace to post a triple-double. His +/- was +21 while he was on the floor against the Hornets, and then he got benched while the Lakers almost blew the lead. His benching in the fourth quarter of that game was confusing to me because he was playing well.

But the game against the Suns, he did get playing time and didn't play all that great...

I think the Lakers are more worried about what effort Gasol brings. also he can't match-up with Ryan Anderson... he had a chance to shine in the Suns game in the 4th quarter and came out dry... so do not blame the Lakers for the lack of effort Gasol brings night in and night out.
Ice-Fire

Postby LooN3y on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:58 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:
Blahdeh Deebatz wrote:In Pau's defense, I would have been frustrated by being benched in the game against the Hornets as well. He was on pace to post a triple-double. His +/- was +21 while he was on the floor against the Hornets, and then he got benched while the Lakers almost blew the lead. His benching in the fourth quarter of that game was confusing to me because he was playing well.

I think the Lakers are more worried about what effort Gasol brings. also he can't match-up with Ryan Anderson... he had a chance to shine in the Suns game in the 4th quarter and came out dry... so do not blame the Lakers for the lack of effort Gasol brings night in and night out.

just start him out of respect theres not hurt in starting him and taking him out at the 7 minute mark.

dantoni is a [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] and he doesnt know how to handle stars. start him and if its going stale take him out or take him out earlier if its a more athletic stretch PF and we cant use our size to our advantadge.

you have pau out there rushing things and trying to play perfect basketball.

you can clearly see hes not comfortable and nervous to play good. he just needs to be calm and be himself
LooN3y

Postby 432J on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:25 pm

didn't know pau was this self-centered

follow lamar's example and embrace your role instead of whining like a little girl
432J

Postby R24ADY on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:44 am

If pau going to start ,our game pace would be slower and young teams will eat us alive plus the middle would be clogged up. Pau coming off the bench gives us bench advantage. Kobe is sacrificing on scoring for us to survive the elims. Why can't Pau do his share. IMO I think Pau wanted to pair with Rubio. Pau change his game two years ago after he got injured against Denver. I didn't hear Manu, Jason Terry and other good bench player not starting whine like Pau.
Gasol also said he would remember the team's hectic exit from TD Banknorth Garden after the Game 6 loss.
A mob of Celtics fans pounded the Lakers' bus with their fists and shouted out expletives. Some revelers threw rocks and chased the bus down the street.
"It's something that I'm going to keep in mind all year long until we get there again," Gasol said.
R24ADY

Postby Congo Cash on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:01 am

Even Trevor Ariza (or was it Luke Walton?) asked Phil to keep him at the bench... When will Pau realize he can't co-exist w/ Dwight and Metta on the same lineup?

D12
Pau
Metta
Kobe
Nash

Where is the spacing?
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby SeasonTicketHolder on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:13 am

I can see where he's feeling a bit down.

I imagine myself, working for this Fortune 500 Company where I was an integral component in the company achieving huge awards recently. Then some new employee walks in who they say claims to make the company better but all I see is stock dropping like the company's name was Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC...oh and by the way, the new Director is indicating that I can no longer fly first class "with my boys" to other meetings...I gotta sit in Coach with the others.

It might seem extreme...I don't condone the behavior...but I understand where he could feel pretty down.

However, he should see it like Manu Ginobili sees it...I doubt Manu thinks he's isn't better than say Leonard or Green because he isn't starting...Gasol just needs a paradigm shift.

Come on Spaniard.
SeasonTicketHolder

Postby kenzo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:29 am

If he played any good he wouldn't come of the bench. Also, he STILL makes 19 mil a year. He should suck it up and play as hard as he can... (he had his chance when Howard went down and we all saw what happed) :bang:
kenzo

Postby MC on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:54 am

2 things:

1 - Pau is not the cancer..... MDA and the clown that hired him are....... but you all will find that out in the next 2 years.

2 - Pau is being bombarded by the media with the same lame questions....... the media fabricates these things, doesn't anyone really understand that? my guess is EVERYONE of you mental midgets would be disgruntled if you continued to get poked and prodded over anything sensitive to you. I would love for someone to tell YOU that you are shi**y and useless at what you do at work and see what comes out of it. (and most people are useless at what they do and don't recognize it)

Now after saying all that Pau has to just play the media for what they are and REFUSE to answer the questions......

He wants out, that much is clear....

The Lakers don't really want him, that much has been CRYSTAL clear the last 2 years under the mental midgets we've had as coaches since Jackson.

Nobody...AND I MEAN NOBODY gives it their all for people who don;t appreciate or respect them........NOBODY. Our FO has mismanaged this transition to dumb azz ball every step of the way and has created the situation we are in with their fantasy dreams of Showtime even though they never understood how it worked in the first place. Of course that's what happens when owners confuse their roles and don't accept that having the money DOESN'T make you a basketball guy. When you think you are that's when the EGO gets in the way of what's right........... typical Jerry Jones/Al Davis syndrome the Buss father and son combo have right now.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 am

MC wrote:my guess is EVERYONE of you mental midgets.

Shouldn't it be "EVERY ONE" instead of "EVERYONE"?

But feel free to keep calling people mental midgets.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion