Pau Gasol 'probably not' open to coming off the bench

Re: Pau Gasol 'probably not' open to coming off the bench

Postby ballbreaker on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Finwë wrote:
"When the games are on the line, you need to have the best players on the floor."

Well that's why you are on the bench! :man10:

Funny thing is some people around here dare talk about possible trades for people like Love or Aldridge while others are shocked when he considers himself better player than someone like Earl Clark.

Of course he should be more careful with his words since he is getting payed nearly 20M/y, but still, things are getting to a point that I understand he can lose his mind.
ballbreaker

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:27 pm

He's actually better coming off the bench. If he accepted that role and played to his capability, he could thrive. He has more of the paint to work with when Dwight is out and can get shots closer to the basket; isn't that what he wanted?

He obviously doesn't see it that way. It don't matter. He's probably on the verge of being traded anyways (at least I hope).
dwighthowardsdad

Postby TheOp on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:28 pm

This guy needs to go, asap. Hes a CANCER to this team. His pathetic attitude alone brings us down. On the court, he might be one of the worst interior defenders in the league. Ive never seen a Laker power forward play defense as pathetic as Gasol does when someone drives at him, its an automatic 2 or and 1 and even the TNT announcers pointed out, nobody respects Gasol and they go right at him whenever possible.

Gasol is done as a piece to a championship team. He cant play power forward, hes not quick enough and gets DESTROYED by guys like Blake Grififn, Ibaka, Millsap, etc. He cant play center, doesnt protect the rim and is pillow soft on defense. He can be an effective piece to a team like the Bucks or Bobcats, putting up 15-17 points per game but playing pathetic defense in the process. He cant help this team anymore, even if he comes off the bench, having in the game at center is like asking the other team to perform a layup drill.
TheOp

Postby scissors on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Thank you for helping us get the 2 championships Pau. You got paid well and now it's time for you to move on.
scissors

Postby dj vitus on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm surprised we've held onto him for so long, especially after trading him for CP3. Guess there really aren't any great deals at all out there.

I know I've been very critical of Josh Smith's outside shooting and ugly free throws, but he does everything else great, especially DEFENSE, which is what we sorely need. If we could get a third team in the mix...
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:50 pm

dj vitus wrote:I'm surprised we've held onto him for so long, especially after trading him for CP3. Guess there really aren't any great deals at all out there.

I know I've been very critical of Josh Smith's outside shooting and ugly free throws, but he does everything else great, especially DEFENSE, which is what we sorely need. If we could get a third team in the mix...

Wonder if they'd be interested in Z-Bo? I think Memphis would take that swap. Pau has a shorter deal + they can pair up the brothers to make a run this year.
lakersin4

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:13 pm

432J wrote:
scissors wrote:Something tells me this guy is gonna be gone sooner than we anticipate.

i actually think the opposite

i have a sick feeling he won't be gone until the offseason at the earliest

^ Lakers might be trying to cost cut & just let him expire. In that case, he won't be gone until June 2014 :freak2:

If only the dude could re invent himself.
Chillbongo

Postby borri on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:13 pm

dj vitus wrote:I'm surprised we've held onto him for so long, especially after trading him for CP3. Guess there really aren't any great deals at all out there.

Oh but there was! HOU essentially gave up Dragic, Martin and Scola to get Pau, in the CP3 fiasco. All we had to do was offer Pau for those 3 and done deal. ORL wanted no part of Pau and his salary so it would have had NO effect on getting Howard here.

Where would we be right now with those 3 instead of Duhon, Morris and Jamison.......... :bang:
borri

Postby The Rock on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Hopefully a Love/Gasol trade happens. I think we can hang around hte playoff picture until Love returns 1st week of March. Minny injuries are piling up like crazy

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby venky on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:36 pm

I can't wait until this guy is no longer a Laker. At the worst, it's only one more year after this year.
venky

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:36 pm

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
Pau: "I’ve been a starter my entire career. I’ve been a star starter my entire career, so I want to continue to be a star starter."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:37 pm

The Rock wrote:Hopefully a Love/Gasol trade happens. I think we can hang around hte playoff picture until Love returns 1st week of March. Minny injuries are piling up like crazy

If Minne is willing to do that to salvage the season, we have to take advantage. In Earl we trust.
lakersin4

Postby Armani on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:41 pm

When he's in the game, let Howard guard PF's, and Gasol guard C's. That's just about the best solution on defense. No other way around this until he gets traded.

MIIIIIIIIITCH, We're looking at you and your wand here. :man2:
Armani

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:43 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
Pau: "I’ve been a starter my entire career. I’ve been a star starter my entire career, so I want to continue to be a star starter."

^^ This isn't going to work out. I was all for keeping Pau this last season. But not with this talk. If he's going to be here he NEEDS to come off the bench. It's the way to keep his minutes down and maximize his play by moving him to backup center so he can play the post. Otherwise he's just too big a liability on the defensive end. We lose too much making Clark a bench player. We saw the energy and chemistry he was bringing to our starting unit. Can't afford to lose that momentum. Pau either has to adjust to life off the bench or he needs to go.

I understand that all players have egos and Pau has been a bit touchy since his last year with Phil. But he's being too stubborn about this one. Lamar was bummed too when Phil suggested he come off the bench. Sure, Lamar had more trust in Phil than Pau does in D' Antoni, but in some ways this is for his own good and he should consider this. Pau's been beat up all year long between the knee tendonitis and the plantar fasciitis. He simply can't run that well nor has any lift on his shot. The best medicine is rest. The more minutes he plays the more he hurts both himself and the team. The more running he does the worse off he is as well. He should embrace this opportunity to be the focus on the offense when Dwight is out. He could seriously bolster our second unit with this one move. Pau off the bench could be an amazing weapon. But if he looks at it like a demotion and an insult then it's going to be a tough situation, which is how it's playing out.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobe_mamba on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Pau should stay on the bench. He needs to accept this new role - for the sake of the team....or he better get used to playing for another team. Mind you, Kobe is said to be his biggest supporter.....hmmm
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby S.R.05 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:43 pm

hey he's only saying he wont be open to come OFF the bench....maybe he should just stay there and everyone's happy :man1:
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Psychobroker on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:45 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten

“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby karacha on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:02 pm

A "star starter". Yes,that's how it used to be. He needs to be punched in the chest again by Phil to come back to Earth.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 pm

When has he ever been a "star starter"? There's a reason why he and his Memphis teams got swept each and every time they got to the playoffs.

Take your pouting elsewhere ya big galoot.
charvin

Postby karacha on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Well... yes, he was star player. Not a superstar, but a star. He doesn't play like one anymore, however.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakeShow09 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Eff this. Bench him :mad1: :mad1:
LakeShow09

Postby Armani on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:39 pm

charvin wrote:When has he ever been a "star starter"? There's a reason why he and his Memphis teams got swept each and every time they got to the playoffs.

Take your pouting elsewhere ya big galoot.

Let's not bring up the past. He was an undisputed star and an invaluable player during our title runs.

This is just the case of a player that can't accept reality. His skills have declined, and he is a shadow of his former self. He can shine as a 6th man now... and he isn't ready to accept that.
Armani

Postby JLaker17 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Seems like we are never gonna trade Pau...
JLaker17

Postby XXIV on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:24 pm

I understand it can be difficult moving from a starter to the bench, but if Pau really is a team player he would recognize the situation and do whatever is needed to win games. Him next to Dwight is clearly just not working as they both need the paint to be most effective. It wouldn't surprise me to see him (Pau) being traded soon.
XXIV

Postby noobiew on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Remembered Lamar Odom also not happy about being demoted from a starter to the bench before, but he worked very hard and eventually won the 6th man of the year award for us.

And also MDA benched Metta for few games this season and wants him to come off from bench, Metta accepted the decision and never complained about it.

I'm disappointed with Pau.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion