Pau helps malnourished kids in Africa as UNICEF Ambassador

Pau helps malnourished kids in Africa as UNICEF Ambassador

Postby The Rock on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:39 am

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-la-pau-gasol-visiting-sahel-region-as-unicef-ambassador-20120824,0,4754024.story

By Mark Medina

August 24, 2012, 10:23 a.m.

Pau Gasol has experienced a wide range of emotions this off-season.

He is excited the Lakers acquired Dwight Howard and Steve Nash in hopes of squeezing out more NBA championships. He is relieved the Lakers made such deals without trading him. He was filled with pride as the leader of the Spanish men's basketball team and his country's flag bearer in the 2012 London Olympics, though he was disappointed Spain lost in the gold-medal match to the United States for the second consecutive Games.

Gasol has long been aware of the human condition, appreciative of the joys and sorrows that life brings. The Lakers forward has taken another step in further grasping that concept, arriving in the African nation of Chad on Thursday as part of a week-long trip in the Sahel region, where he'll work as a UNICEF ambassador.

There, he will help and observe UNICEF officials provide vaccinations and food at feeding and medical nutritional centers throughout the region. UNICEF says the Sahel region has at least 1.1 million children that will need treatment for severe acute malnutrition. The United Nations has said about 18 million people are affected by a drought and food crisis in the nine countries of the Sahel region.

"UNICEF started warning last year that this situation could happen and began to work
on prevention and treatment," Gasol said in a statement, "But not all children in need across the Sahel have been reached. I’m in Chad to remind people that 1 million children are at risk in the Sahel because of the nutritional crisis and that it is possible to end malnutrition.
"

So far, UNICEF has devoted $238 million in resources in improving malnourishment in the Sahel region, providing more educational opportunities to dissuade children from joining rebel groups in Mali and mitigating cholera outbreaks. The organization says it has also secured $93 million for emergency response efforts.

Gasol, who has been Spain's UNICEF ambassador since 2003, last made a trip on behalf of the organization at Ethiopia in 2010. This last March, Gasol participated in El Rey Theater’s “Play List With the A-List,” in which celebrities sang karaoke to raise funds for UNICEF. Gasol sang the Fray's "How to Save a Life." Gasol also released an iBook this year in three different languages, with all proceeds benefiting UNICEF.

Those efforts, along with his frequent visits to Los Angeles Childrens Hospital, earned Gasol the NBA's J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship award.

Video below done during last year's lockout

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Pau helps malnourished kids in Africa as UNICEF Ambassador

Postby dj vitus on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:52 am

:jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Chopper on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:15 am

how can anyone hate this guy?

getting Gasol in 2008 was one of the best things the Lakers have done in a long time, and that includes getting Howard. Guy is a class act
Chopper

Postby kenzo on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:23 am

^ & ^^ are both correct :bow:
kenzo

Postby John3:16 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:30 am

Great story. Thanks for posting.

Sadly, if Gasol blames Coach Brown for anything in the future, his work in Africa won't save him from being a racist. :man6:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:42 am

^Ok we get it, some people have been misusing the race card.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby checkers09 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:08 pm

:jam2: Love Pau.

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Pau is awesome. :jam2:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:^Ok we get it, some people have been misusing the race card.

... racist.

:man1:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Wrath12X on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Class act
Wrath12X

Postby kray28 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:10 pm

I've always had this guy's back...getting Pau Gasol was the single biggest factor that turned around everything for the Lakers in the post-Shaq years.

People always forget this...and this board is packed with guys that wanted him gone three years ago.
kray28

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Basketball is always number 2 in judging someone's true character. Pau is an awesome human being. I look forward to having him rebound on the court with the likes of Nash and Dwight this year...but off the court, this guy has always been an unbelievable MVP.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:35 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Basketball is always number 2 in judging someone's true character. Pau is an awesome human being. I look forward to having him rebound on the court with the likes of Nash and Dwight this year...but off the court, this guy has always been an unbelievable MVP.

^^ Great post Vash. Yeah, this is just another example of why Pau is one of my favorite people in the NBA. He's just such a great guy. At times I've felt bad for screaming at him on the Tube and getting so frustrated at him for playing like crap. He's driven me crazy at times over the past two years on the court, but I'll always be thankful for him coming here and helping to deliver us two more championships. I have also never said a bad thing about him as a human being - he's a real humanitarian and such a bright person. Though he hasn't really delivered the past couple post-seasons, I was opposed to moving him this summer unless it was some amazing deal (which wasn't forthcoming as his value is low right now). Count me in as someone who is extremely excited to see him play alongside Nash and now D12 as well. It's an astounding combination. I'm very happy he didn't get traded!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:07 pm

Pau's just an all around good dude.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby LAKEROC on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:33 am

That's why Pau is my favorite Laker. I have met many Lakers over the years, but you will be very hard pressed to ever find a superstar athlete who is as down to earth, and friendly to talk with as Pau Gasol. No ego or arrogance when I talked with him. I wish there were more athletes like this guy.
LAKEROC

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Nashty Gal on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:46 pm

I love his heart, what a guy.
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Weezy on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:52 pm

Pau, above all else, appears to be a good human being. Even if I wanted him traded for basketball reasons in the past, I would never hate on the guy as a person, there really isn't anything to hate on.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Aonex on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:26 pm

I wonder if Pau still plans on finishing med school when he retires. He could just do Doctors Without Borders all he wants since he's already rich.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby ben_ready on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Pau is a great man I applaud him for having a good heart. And since it's all about him I'll just not speak on that stupid "race card" crap smh yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby LooN3y on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:31 pm

paus geninuely humble and nice, and you can tell by his demeanor and especailly when he talks about ball and especially when games get physical.

i've been to india, and its sad how people live there, it really makes you appreciate your standard of living. but im sure pau stayed at a 4 star hotel. of some sort. iill prob have to, but i really dont want to go back to india lol, if i do im staying at a nice hotel. wow i was forced by my boss to sleep at a local motel to feel the "real india" after a couple days at a "NICER(not exactly meaning nice)" that was the worst ever.

hes a class act, never acting like some physical altercation or play bothered him or his emotions, well at least in the post game interviews. and this just adds to it.

cuz wannabe thugs like k-mart, when they go on n on about some sort of altercation he ahd in the game, he just looks like the loser, gettin all emotional, and talking trash. and pretty funny because in his mind he thinks that makes him tough.

U MAD? :man10:
LooN3y

Postby gcclaker on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:21 am

...this proves Gasol is soft.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:11 am

yeah class act/clever guy ... probably one of the very few NBA stars who isn't a jerk
wcsoldier81

Return to Lakers Discussion