Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: back starting tonight (12/18) - pg241

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Offensively, fine, Pau should be alright for crunch time situations. But on defense, a team is running a small ball unit, you're matching that with Meeks, Kobe, Metta, Morris, Howard.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby D.B. Cooper on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:09 pm

^
Yup, sometimes gasol can't defend smaller quicker pf.
D.B. Cooper

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:55 pm

Gasol won’t be benched in 4th quarters anymore: LA Times
1 Comment
By Chris Sheridan
December 21, 2012 at 4:47 AM
LOS ANGELES – Pau Gasol will not be benched anymore at the end of fourth quarters, the Los Angeles Times is reporting today.

The decision was made during a dinner meeting in Manhattan Beach on Wednesday night between Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni and power forward Pau Gasol.

From beat writer Mike Bresnahan: “Gasol said he wanted the ball in the post instead of on the perimeter and also asked to play in crunch time, among the topics discussed with D’Antoni at a Manhattan Beach restaurant. ”It was to make sure we’re in the same boat,” Gasol said in a quiet moment Thursday after the Lakers’ practice. “We’re trying to reach the same goal. Let’s communicate. Hopefully, we can meet halfway on some points.” D’Antoni told Gasol he would no longer be benched in crucial situations, according to a person familiar with the conversation. Gasol has been benched three times in the fourth quarter since D’Antoni was hired, including the last 2 minutes 36 seconds of the Lakers 101-100 victory Tuesday over Charlotte. It was Gasol’s first game after sitting out eight in a row because of tendinitis in his knees. He sat out the entire fourth quarter Nov. 23 against Memphis and the last 6:07 of a Dec. 2 game against Orlando

Instead of asking to stay in, in crunch time, how about you play like you should be in during crunch time?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:01 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Gasol won’t be benched in 4th quarters anymore: LA Times
1 Comment
By Chris Sheridan
December 21, 2012 at 4:47 AM
LOS ANGELES – Pau Gasol will not be benched anymore at the end of fourth quarters, the Los Angeles Times is reporting today.

The decision was made during a dinner meeting in Manhattan Beach on Wednesday night between Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni and power forward Pau Gasol.

From beat writer Mike Bresnahan: “Gasol said he wanted the ball in the post instead of on the perimeter and also asked to play in crunch time, among the topics discussed with D’Antoni at a Manhattan Beach restaurant. ”It was to make sure we’re in the same boat,” Gasol said in a quiet moment Thursday after the Lakers’ practice. “We’re trying to reach the same goal. Let’s communicate. Hopefully, we can meet halfway on some points.” D’Antoni told Gasol he would no longer be benched in crucial situations, according to a person familiar with the conversation. Gasol has been benched three times in the fourth quarter since D’Antoni was hired, including the last 2 minutes 36 seconds of the Lakers 101-100 victory Tuesday over Charlotte. It was Gasol’s first game after sitting out eight in a row because of tendinitis in his knees. He sat out the entire fourth quarter Nov. 23 against Memphis and the last 6:07 of a Dec. 2 game against Orlando

Instead of asking to stay in, in crunch time, how about you play like you should be in during crunch time?

Pau plays pretty well during crunch time. Mike D just didn't play him. I like Pau sitting down with Coach Mike D instead of doing like many players pouting about playing time. Lets see Pau make it happen now.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby LooN3y on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:05 pm

D.B. Cooper wrote:^
Yup, sometimes gasol can't defend smaller quicker pf.

adjust to the situation. thats all, MDA sitting pau after he made 2 straight good plays in a row, and than putting dwight in and almost losing the lead was, well idiotic.
LooN3y

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Pau plays pretty well during crunch time. Mike D just didn't play him. I like Pau sitting down with Coach Mike D instead of doing like many players pouting about playing time. Lets see Pau make it happen now.

I've been waiting for Pau to make it happen for a long time now.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby charvin on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:10 pm

Then the question becomes, do you leave both Gasol and Howard in to finish the game? This would absolutely go against D'Antoni's "vision" and would demonstrate to us that if he were to leave both in to finish the game, that he has some capability to be flexible with his plan.
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:31 am

I didn't blame D'Antoni for sitting Pau, but I'll blame him if we lose because Pau is in the game.

Pau needs to prove he's worthy of playing in those tight moments. He hasn't been effective this season late and late towards the end of last season. I'm all for him playing if he's effective, but if not then he needs to sit down regardless of who he is and how much he's getting paid.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:35 am

therealdeal wrote:I didn't blame D'Antoni for sitting Pau, but I'll blame him if we lose because Pau is in the game.

Pau needs to prove he's worthy of playing in those tight moments. He hasn't been effective this season late and late towards the end of last season. I'm all for him playing if he's effective, but if not then he needs to sit down regardless of who he is and how much he's getting paid.

Me neither for the most part. But it's time to have our starters fulfill their roles, or at least be given the chance to do so. I'm glad these guys had a sit down because Antoni was starting to really upset me with the things he was saying about Pau and how he planned to use him. It's cool that Pau took the initiative and set up a meet. These two needed to get more on the same page for sure.

I may be in the minority, but I actually desire greatly to see our 4 HOFers playing on the floor at the same time with Ron. The other guys are role players - they simply aren't as good as those 5 guys. That should be obvious, regardless of system. The others are backup guys - Meeks, Duhon, Hill and Jamison.

I don't want Pau relegated to corner three shooting guard, I don't want to see MWP at the backup 4, I don't want to see Meeks starting at the 2, I don't want Hill and Jamison sitting next to Sacre all game unused. I don't want Ebanks to start any more at any position. I don't want a single thing that Antoni has been talking about for the last week. If I see it happen I will have to conclude that he's either the stupidest coach I've seen besides Mike Brown or that he is a passive aggressive dude trying to force the FO into making moves for his own designs. He needs to use what he has in an intelligent way or he needs to get the hell out of here as soon as possible. We've already been through this BS with Brown last year and this season. The stupid rotations aren't acceptable.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:47 am

Basketball is about fit, not placing as much taalent as possible on the court. There is absolutely nothing wrong with lineup experimenting if things aren't going well.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:16 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Basketball is about fit, not placing as much taalent as possible on the court. There is absolutely nothing wrong with lineup experimenting if things aren't going well.

^^ But why are we talking about changing the lineup when we haven't even seen these 5 guys on the floor under D' Antoni? Why not let Nash have a chance to work with the best possible players on the court?

If that doesn't work out then of course, try whatever you can to make it work. But why all this roster talk RIGHT when we are finally getting the floor leader back. Just play Nash with the starters and let's see what we have. It's going to take some time I would think to get these guys in sync.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:58 pm

he's gotta step up BIG tonight against Lee. Lee is averaging 24.1 points and 11.8 rebounds over the past 11 games.

I expect him getting beat a lot and dwight trying to help but either he'll get in foul trouble or no one will help the helper and lee with just make a simple pass for an easy layup by barnes. he had a triple double last game so he'll continue to pass well
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Here's his biggest game of the last few years excluding the Playoffs.

From here on out he's playing for his job in LA. Everyone knows there's offers out there now, everyone knows there's pieces we could absolutely get if we wanted to move in another direction. If he fails now, it's over and he's gone. No more chances, no more time.

Nash is/was supposed to be his savior and the reason why we haven't moved him yet. If he doesn't shine tonight he never will.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Ill give him tonights game and the knicks game. if he doesn't do what he should and what you'd expect from a guy earning 19 mil and playing with Nash finally then im fine with trading him. but i do expect him to have good games and it is difficult to adjust to playing with howard but if anyone can help its nash. its up to pau to play strong D and be aggressive...cant do anything else for him if he doesnt do those.
Ariza3

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:41 pm

That was a good article and like a few members have said, I think it's great news that they are talking and working it out like professionals
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby hollywood swinger on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:35 pm

gasol is done not even nash can help his game. time to make the trade.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby The Rock on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:11 pm

Man he was struggling like crazy but he hung in there in the end, made passes, rebounded etc to still contribute. Lamar Odom-esque game lol

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:14 pm

i don't know if pau is going to be that much better with nash

i think pau has more value in terms of morale than on the court at this point...no bueno.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Gasol at the elbow is full of win. They toss him the ball and run everyone else off screens and the guy just stands there and tosses an oop to the open man.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Weezy on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:36 pm

He was really bad most of the game, but he asked to be left in to finish games and tonight I thought he delivered. A few great passes in a row late in the 4th, a block, some rebounds, he contributed when it mattered. Still, can't say that keeping him long term is going to work out, he might need to go for some young players, or shooters, anything that can fill our needs.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Pig Miller on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:40 pm

tonight, i realized how important is to keep pau. not because he had an awesome game, though he had some nice moments, but simply because dwight will be in foul trouble much of the season, we need pau on the block and in the game when dwight is saddled with foul problems
Pig Miller

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:41 pm

He's just too timid. Nash found him in some great positions off the pick but he doesn't finish or go aggressively off it. A few nice passes though.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Pig Miller wrote:tonight, i realized how important is to keep pau. not because he had an awesome game, though he had some nice moments, but simply because dwight will be in foul trouble much of the season, we need pau on the block and in the game when dwight is saddled with foul problems

That's actually a great point despite my just saying we should probably trade him. He's a very good backup C to have for Dwight foul trouble, also allows Hill to play PF more.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:49 pm

Stop passing on wide open shots Nashty creates for you off the PNR :disagree:
wcsoldier81

Postby The Rock on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:50 pm

1st half of the game, Dwight barely played Pau got huge minutes at the C spot, he finished the half with 2/6 shooting and 4 points and 4 turnovers. He is Lamar Odom now. Hes not the same player. Im glad we dont rely on him to carry the scoring load but he can be counted on to make passes to teammates in the right spots thats about it...6 assists and good 10 rebounds

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion