Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: $19,000,000 sixth man

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:55 pm

The only difference in Pau's D over the past couple of games is that he is the anchor.

He fills a different help defense role when Dwight is out. His man D is decent, always has been. Though I'll agree I was impressed with his man D on Pekovic and might concede that he has "looked better" recently. Could just be the injuries subsiding, or a mental boost in his effort knowing Dwight is out.

Regardless his help D leaves room for improvement and he can't be an anchor on a championship team. But we already knew that.
Chillbongo

Postby The Rock on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Im encouraged by how hes playing. Hes rebounding better. But didnt like how he played in the 4th Q, he squandered at least 3 shots within 5 feet from the basket. No idea how this is gonna work out when Dwight comes back

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Kingsama on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Random post: I really think that the lakers are going to hold on to good ol' Pau until this offseason and try to deal him as an expiring K. They need him for insurance this season and won't want to double down on his trade until certain question are answered this summer, aka Howard's status, draft etc etc.
Kingsama

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:38 pm

^ I agree. With the Lakers winning some games and Pau being much more productive even coming off the bench I don't see them dumping him during the season. He is definately gone in the summer I believe. Of course if we turn it around and win it all that might change the story a little bit.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Kingsama on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:^ I agree. With the Lakers winning some games and Pau being much more productive even coming off the bench I don't see them dumping him during the season. He is definately gone in the summer I believe. Of course if we turn it around and win it all that might change the story a little bit.

Most of me still thinks that even if they somehow someway hoist a banner this summer, its gonna take a miracle, that Pau's days are numbered. He isn't going to be ok with being a 6th man, Earl Clark is looking more and more like a true to form starter, and that expiring K is going to worth something to a lot of teams as the new CBA continues to strangle folks. The only reason that they may hold onto him is to keep all that cash available for a big push for a free agent in 14.
Kingsama

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:^^ Doc, I know you are down on Pau and I understand that but are you really going to say that 90% of Pau's defense was bad over the past few games? I don't buy that. I don't disagree that his lack of mobility is rough and is causing him to suck at times, but 90% bad defense? I get your point, but I think it's a bit overstated.

The percentages are overstated, but the point still stands. If a team ran 100% pick and roll and made Pau move his defense would be awful. If teams ran 100% post up on Pau, his defense would be pretty good. It's all relative to what the opposing team is running and recently it's been a lot of the pick and roll + movement against us. That's my point, Pau's defense is an issue because we are seeing more of teams exposing his weakness as opposed to playing him to his strength.

I'm with BDG, I think Pau's actually looked better on D at times than I've expected these past few games. At the very least I see him trying. The drop off between him and Dwight was going to be big no matter what. But you are completely dismissing the good that he's actually doing.

I'm not dismissing it, there's a few scattered posts recently giving Pau some love. :man1:

You and others said before the Minny game that Pek was going to beat him up in the post.

I don't believe I ever said that. Defensively yes Pek could, but Pek on offense isn't a post up player so he couldn't beat Pau up. If you are thinking my comment about Pau being a Doberman was it, we will have to discuss that elsewhere. :man12:

Maybe you're right and it's more bad than good, but I don't think it's anywhere near that extreme. When Pau comes out we truly suck on D.

I agree, but that's only because we have no one else right now to play center. If Hill was still healthy and playing, I would disagree.

^^ Gotcha, great clarifications, Doc. I appreciate that and do agree with you on your points here. Sorry if I mistakenly lumped you in with those who were saying Pek was going to beat up on Pau in the post, which he clearly did not. Pau squashed nearly every post up opp that guy took.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby sina on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Lakers wouldn't trade Pau because of: 1) Dwight is a injury prone and always in foul trouble. Lakers need a quality back up; 2) Pau is an insurance if Dwight decide to go this summer finally ; 3) Lakers 2014 plan. Lakers would sign LBJ or a top PG to pair up with Dwight as corner stones once Kobe n Pau's salaries are off the book.
sina

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:21 am

https://twitter.com/forumbluegold/statu ... 4168725505

Last 7 games: Pau's played 228 minutes. In those mins, Lakers OEff is 106.1, DEff is 97.3. Dwight in 146 mins OEff of 100.6, DEff of 100.7.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:55 am

By T.J. Simers
February 4, 2013, 7:20 p.m.

NEW YORK — In this mess of a Lakers season, there has remained one crazy, befuddling constant: Mike D'Antoni's decision to embarrass and then bench Pau Gasol.

Good for Earl Clark.

But when D'Antoni began his stint as Lakers coach by not playing Gasol in the fourth quarter, replying, "I was thinking I'd like to win this game," it was a big-time putdown.

It seemed like too much, too soon, especially for someone who has meant so much to the Lakers.

"It's hard to know personalities if you don't get in touch with them," said Gasol, his relationship with the Lakers coach now cordial and tension-free but still anchored in disagreement.

The coach and player met at a Manhattan Beach restaurant a few weeks back, and most folks were left with the impression they had a meeting of minds.

"It was an effort on our part to try and come to an understanding," Gasol said. "But I don't think it's translated to an understanding. Nothing significant has happened; it's probably even gone a little backwards."

Jim Buss said recently he was told by D'Antoni that Gasol was a happy camper now because D'Antoni was saving Gasol's knees and prolonging his career.

It was amusing news to Gasol, who played 37 minutes against Minnesota and 40 versus Detroit.

"Never heard that," he said.

We talked Monday morning over $10 coffee at the Ritz-Carlton hotel adjacent to Central Park. The sports columnist picked up the tab while the $19-million-a-year basketball player promised to get the next one — as if he will be with the Lakers long enough to pay off.

"If this coach stays and Dwight Howard remains with the Lakers," I asked, "what about you?"

"It would be hard for me to deal with another season knowing the facts you just mentioned," said Gasol, 32 and with one year remaining on his contract.

"So do you ask for a fresh start elsewhere?"

"It's a possibility," he said, "yes."

He will not request a trade before this month's deadline, he said, although he knows there is interest from other teams for a starting center and he will be returning to the bench soon.

"I'm not a quitter," he said. "Just because things look better on the other side of the fence, I'm not going to take the easy way out.

"I have a certain level of loyalty here, and I've been through a lot of great, amazing things. And there have been others that have been hurtful. But that's life.

"I don't have cancer, my mom wasn't dying and I'm still playing basketball. I love the Lakers and Los Angeles, and none of that has changed just because certain things are out of my control."

Athletes don't come much more friendly than Gasol, who treats everyone attentively from team president to arena janitor.

In fact, he refused to blame D'Antoni for misusing him.

"He has his philosophy and system, and the Lakers hired him," said Gasol. "It's not his fault.

"His philosophy is to play with one big guy and four guys spread out, so then he had to make a decision: Dwight or Pau?"

It was an easy decision. The Lakers are committed to making Howard happy so he will return.

"That is correct," Gasol said.

And Gasol is under contract for next season.

"There you go," he said. "I understand that."

So what happens next?

"They try to decide how I can be productive in this mix, while I know I'm not going to be in position to do what I do best and help us win more games. It's frustrating, but it's not going to stop me from playing as hard as I can in whatever role."

We all have bosses who don't always get it right. Believe me, I know.

"I'm fortunate to be doing what I am for a living and being highly rewarded for it," Gasol said. "But it hurts me that this unique opportunity we have with such good players is not being maximized."

Kobe Bryant has already praised Gasol and said he has no worries how Gasol will respond to his disappointment.

"We've won championships together, so Kobe knows," said Gasol. "I like the place where he's at now, unselfishly doing what he can to help us win."

As dominant as Gasol was in the Olympics and as highly regarded as he is in the NBA, he said there have been times when he has felt disrespected by D'Antoni.

"But I'm not going to let it affect me. In a way he's messing with my season, but not my career. I know what I've accomplished, and I still feel like I'm one of the best players in the world."

This isn't his first brush with disappointment. Before last season he was gone in a trade for Chris Paul only to return in a flash when the deal was vetoed by the NBA commissioner. His name continues to be mentioned in trade rumors.

But without knowing what Howard is going to do, it's unlikely the Lakers will risk trading Gasol.

"Dwight is a huge presence defensively," said Gasol. "But in a perfect world I'd love to see us dominating as an interior couple, thereby making everything easier for our teammates.

"I'm always trying to pass to Dwight to get him going. He hasn't been very effective from the post, so I want to give him easy shots and get him into rhythm. You know he's going to get fouled and then he'll make one out of two."

Gasol still has a sense of humor, and he will continue to need it.

"Nothing is going to change, but I have no doubt we could coexist and dominate every single game," Gasol said, the proof in how well he played alongside his brother for Spain.

"I believe 100% if I was starting inside with Dwight we could make the playoffs. I just don't know if coming off the bench gives the team a chance to be better and win more games."

I also took care of the tip for coffee in case Gasol is still here a year from now and picks up the next round.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-simers-pau-gasol-20130205,0,3248032.column?page=2
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:51 am

"If this coach stays and Dwight Howard remains with the Lakers," I asked, "what about you?" "It would be hard for me to deal with another season knowing the facts you just mentioned," said Gasol, 32 and with one year remaining on his contract. "So do you ask for a fresh start elsewhere?" "It's a possibility," he said, "yes." Los Angeles Times

I don't get how a guy that preaches being unselfish and playing as a team, has repeatedly made comments like this. How does this help this season Pau?

I'm sure D12 is thrilled about the prospect of you basically saying if he's here you want out.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby bystander on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:11 am

Dude, it's in the same article

"I'm not a quitter," he said. "Just because things look better on the other side of the fence, I'm not going to take the easy way out.

"I have a certain level of loyalty here, and I've been through a lot of great, amazing things. And there have been others that have been hurtful. But that's life.

"I don't have cancer, my mom wasn't dying and I'm still playing basketball. I love the Lakers and Los Angeles, and none of that has changed just because certain things are out of my control."

Athletes don't come much more friendly than Gasol, who treats everyone attentively from team president to arena janitor.

In fact, he refused to blame D'Antoni for misusing him.

"He has his philosophy and system, and the Lakers hired him," said Gasol. "It's not his fault.

"His philosophy is to play with one big guy and four guys spread out, so then he had to make a decision: Dwight or Pau?"

It was an easy decision. The Lakers are committed to making Howard happy so he will return.

"That is correct," Gasol said.

And Gasol is under contract for next season.

"There you go," he said. "I understand that."

So what happens next?

"They try to decide how I can be productive in this mix, while I know I'm not going to be in position to do what I do best and help us win more games. It's frustrating, but it's not going to stop me from playing as hard as I can in whatever role."

He has nothing against Howard but the system that features only one big.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby noobiew on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 am

Fire Mike D'Antoni Jimbo ! This Coach is NOT the right fit for this team, Dwight and Pau are both unhappy at the moment and they will not stay if MDA is the coach of this team !!! :bang:

Just hire Phil and I think Kobe, Pau, Dwight and all the fans will be happy, team will be motivated again and make it to the playoffs this season too :man12:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:20 am

Both Pau and D12 don't want Antoni here next season ... that's the bottom line ( even if I don't mind at all Pau being traded , I'm all in for it)

Also this from a Bulls beat writer

Chuck Swirsky@swirsk054about 17 minutes ago

Huge Pau Gasol fan but can I go thru at least one day without reading or hearing how unjust and unfair life as a Laker is? Please. Just play

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2K2fdbWz3
wcsoldier81

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:28 am

It's from TJ Slimers of all people so of course he's trying to stir things up.

I don't really disagree with much of what Pau is saying except that I do think he's better served with the current Lakers coming off the bench. I get why he doesn't like D' Antoni. I don't like him either and I don't have to play under him as coach like he does. But he doesn't blame D' Antoni, which is how I feel about it, too. Blame the FO. This is their direction.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:49 am

two months ago, I think 99% of this board was on the same page that Gasol has mentally checked out and any trade is addition by subtraction. Seeing him perform as well has he has has really changed my perception a bit of how effective he can still be. We all said it, at this point he's a center, but he is still a damn good center.

Maybe Pau is hoping MDA will be gone this offseason. He certainly seems to imply that "other systems"would bring out the best in Dwight/Pau. Gotta believe he's talking about the triangle. But, the situation is what it is. You're coming off the bench but still closing games. Amare is doing it. Ginobli did it his whole career. Lamar did it. You should be playing as hard as possible off the bench or in the starting 5. From my POV, coach has made adjustments to try and get you in position you like, as well as Dwight. Before the Phx game, things were really clicking.

I completely get the level of frustration. Phil should be the coach. Dwight/Pau should start and Jamison should be the 6th man. That said, stop fueling the fire. You may ask for a trade? STFU and adjust. Kobe has transformed himself from the best scorer in the NBA (history) to a pass first 18ppg guy. Yet you are still starting while Dwight is out and when you do come off the bench, you're complaining.
Center Court

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 am

^^ Agreed Center Court. Although we and also the HoopsHype columnist have to take into account that this interview with TJ Slimers was conducted before the road trip and only appeared now. So the media waited for a lull in the "Pau complaining news" and then dropped this in. There was nothing to note, no current complaint, just wins on the road, so they needed to stir it back up again. What's that famous quote, "Nature abhors a vacuum?"
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:06 am

I hope this team comes together in time.

The media is doing their best to try to seperate us again because we're winning, we're doing it as a team, and everyone hates it. I hope we can continue working hard to be a team.

They interview Howard asking what he's going to do in the future/what it's like playing with Kobe.
They publically doubt Kobe's ability/motives behind maintaining this style of play.
They try to stir the pot with Gasol's clearly unhappy time on the bench.
Hell they even go after Clark and his future contract situation.

Everyone is doing what they can to tear this team apart. I hope they don't do it. I've been as down on Pau as anybody, but he's been playing some good basketball. He's not 2010 Pau and he may never be again, but he's been better than we've seen in 2 years. As long as he's playing this way I want him on this team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby easyguy on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:16 am

I can see both side of the arguments, I know Pau is trying, but he is just too banged up at the moment to be the player he wants to be. I think the all-star week break will help Pau immensely in his recovery and maybe he'll be 75% of the old Pau.

I agree, under the right coach, our two big centers would have a big impact on the game. Under the right coach he would have us crash it under the board and just bang in there, by us playing in the paint and slowing everything down, it will leave us less vulnerable to fastbreaks. I think the Time Warner deal had something to do with the Buss family chasing the old glory days again, as they want exciting plays and more viewership. To us fans, we just want wins, ugly or boring as long as it a win we will watch.
easyguy

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:18 pm

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2013/02/04/is-pau-starting-to-figure-out/

Even with Howard on the bench, 35% of Pau’s shots come between 10 and 24 feet. We see this play out in games all the time when Pau still floats around the perimeter even though he’s the only big man in the game.

Ok Pau

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby karacha on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:20 pm

He would like to play in the post, he just can't get there anymore. At least not on a consistent basis.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Lets see how he does vs Lopez tonight. As good as a back to the basket player there is in the league.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:45 pm

And look at the timing of his comments. Hes been playing Center, hes doing well coming off the bench and the team is like 5-1 in their last 6 games. FU Pau.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:47 pm

The Rock wrote:And look at the timing of his comments. Hes been playing Center, hes doing well coming off the bench and the team is like 5-1 in their last 6 games. FU Pau.

That's my biggest problem. I wish he would just shut up already
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby NewDynasty on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:48 pm

I wish we had somehow dumped him for rudy gay
NewDynasty

Postby scissors on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Just stop talking and play the damn game. :bang: :bang: :bang:
scissors

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion