Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Discussion: Paussibly the last time we see him in P&G

Postby 432J on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:25 pm

as much as they need to trade gasol in order to acquire speed and shooting, i would miss the hell out of him if they did ship him out

i've loved him as a laker since day 1 and it will be a sad day if they do trade him. i'll never forget the day he became a laker
432J

Postby XXIV on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 pm

432J wrote:as much as they need to trade gasol in order to acquire speed and shooting, i would miss the hell out of him if they did ship him out

i've loved him as a laker since day 1 and it will be a sad day if they do trade him. i'll never forget the day he became a laker

Don't worry, the following year after we trade him he'll come back for the mini-MLE. :man1:
XXIV

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:24 pm

therealdeal wrote:Kobe/Dwight/Nash with Dwight as the literal centerpiece is going to be just fine next season.

If we can flip Pau for two wing players that can play the 2/3 spot we're going to do it. If not for financial reasons then for personnel reasons. Sure Pau/Dwight worked nicely at the end of the season but that's because Pau was our number one option at the time basically. Is that really how we want to play? I don't think so.

He's got to go. I spoke to some of my friends that follow NBA basketball and they all seemed to think a Granger for Pau swap was totally reasonable. Given Granger's injuries this season and Pau's play to get into the playoffs. Heck they thought the percentage of getting Love wasn't 0% (more like .1%-.9% :man10:)

Over the next few days I'm going to start going over some scenarios where we could move Pau and get a guy like Granger.

Nash/Kobe/Granger/Clark/Howard is better than Nash/Kobe/Artest/Pau/Howard. It just is.

I thought about a Gasol for Granger deal just today. It makes sense for us. If Indiana gets bounced out again, it may make sense for them as well. Their one problem with that team is their lack of scoring. They get after it defensively; but from what I've seen their inability to score for stretches at a time is a major weakness. If Gasol does add anything to that team, it's a much needed offensive boost. From what we've witnessed here, Gasol can still score in the post and facilitate; he's a great passer. They do have Hibbert & West. However, West is an expiring at the end of this year. So, who knows?

With Granger, he would fit seamlessly into this offense. He plays well without the ball & he's a great catch and shoot player. He's decent from the 3-point line, a great free-throw shooter, & has the ability to create his own shot. He's exactly what we're looking for right now. You can play Hill or Clark at the 4 and have a much faster, athletic, SF/PF next year & our defense would be much improved. On offense, our spacing would be much better & Dwight would have more room to operate in the paint without a lot of congestion.

It makes sense. Granger's knee is a concern; although, he did have knee surgery on April 4th & Indiana said it was successful. So, we'll see how this plays out...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed May 01, 2013 5:02 am

Doc: I totally agree with what you're saying. Standing pat and remaining status quo is a huge mistake. I would like for something to be done using Metta, Nash, Blake, Meeks and Duhon as trade fodder. Your hypothetical scenario works just fine for me.

The only thing I don't want to do is take on salary that could jeopardize the possibility of a max player coming in 2014. However if Pau could be dealt for Love right now, I would pull. But we all know that a scenario like that would be highly unlikely. So the most likeliest of scenarios in significantly upgrading our roster comes with 2014. So instead of dealing Pau to take on role players...I would just hang on to Pau for one more year and focus on somehow getting rid of Nash (who is the only contract leaking into 2014).

Any little tinkers here and there that don't significantly affect our 2014 cap is something I surely am on board with. I'm even game in swapping out Pau's expiring for Granger's expiring....all I'm saying is that with the former, you keep Kobe happier.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 am

Kobe will be happy if he's winning. That's the attitude I'd take if I were the Lakers.

Our twin towers experiment isn't working anymore. Memphis has had some success, but they're a different team. We need to move on in my opinion and allow Dwight to be the middle man, surrounding him with players that don't necessarily need to be down there.

I think Granger would make this team a hell of a lot better. He's cheaper than Gasol too so we'd save a few bucks.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed May 01, 2013 9:33 am

therealdeal wrote:Kobe will be happy if he's winning. That's the attitude I'd take if I were the Lakers.

Our twin towers experiment isn't working anymore. Memphis has had some success, but they're a different team. We need to move on in my opinion and allow Dwight to be the middle man, surrounding him with players that don't necessarily need to be down there.

I think Granger would make this team a hell of a lot better. He's cheaper than Gasol too so we'd save a few bucks.

Yep Granger would be a solid addition but I only see Indy doing it if West leaves since they probably dont want to shell out long term deal for West as he's getting old himself.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed May 01, 2013 9:37 am

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Kobe will be happy if he's winning. That's the attitude I'd take if I were the Lakers.

Yep Granger would be a solid addition but I only see Indy doing it if West leaves since they probably dont want to shell out long term deal for West as he's getting old himself.

Well it could be done in a three way deal. I think Indiana would be more interested in some scoring options for them outside of George. I'd think they'd welcome pieces that can come off the bench and score for them. That's of course if West stays. If West leaves then I think there's a chance they take on Gasol.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed May 01, 2013 11:39 am

Vasashi17 wrote:Doc: I totally agree with what you're saying. Standing pat and remaining status quo is a huge mistake. I would like for something to be done using Metta, Nash, Blake, Meeks and Duhon as trade fodder. Your hypothetical scenario works just fine for me.

The only thing I don't want to do is take on salary that could jeopardize the possibility of a max player coming in 2014. However if Pau could be dealt for Love right now, I would pull. But we all know that a scenario like that would be highly unlikely. So the most likeliest of scenarios in significantly upgrading our roster comes with 2014. So instead of dealing Pau to take on role players...I would just hang on to Pau for one more year and focus on somehow getting rid of Nash (who is the only contract leaking into 2014).

Any little tinkers here and there that don't significantly affect our 2014 cap is something I surely am on board with. I'm even game in swapping out Pau's expiring for Granger's expiring....all I'm saying is that with the former, you keep Kobe happier.

Mitch clearly said management has clearly cap flexibility in mind in his exit interview ... I wouldn't worry about Lakers making trades which would limit our flexibility after the 2013-2014 season ...

I don't know how likely the scenario of moving Pau for a couple of role players who also have only one year left on their contract is ... might be to difficult to achieve as trading Pau seems already quite complicated
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Wed May 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Doc: I totally agree with what you're saying. Standing pat and remaining status quo is a huge mistake. I would like for something to be done using Metta, Nash, Blake, Meeks and Duhon as trade fodder. Your hypothetical scenario works just fine for me.

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 23s
Next year's pay roll and luxury tax, if they kept DHo, Pau, Kobe, etc., could approach $200 mil. There are nations with smaller budgets
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 5m
If they keep the roster for 2014 the Lakers could pay more than $80 mil in lux tax. That's more than Dr. Buss paid for the team+Kings in 79
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Unless Kobe is pitching in some serious money out of his contract, the decision is out of his hands. Paying 200 million dollars to keep your star player happy is a little ridiculous, even if that player is Kobe Bryant.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 pm

^^Thanks for clarifying that for me, wcsoldier That 2014 crop really has same game changers. You put that next to a healthier D12 and maybe Kobe (coming back cheap after this injury somewhat limits him) and I think we marginalize our "rebuilding" phase.

I would like to trade Nash for another PG (ie Lowry, Bledsoe) so that when their contract expires in 2014, we have their Bird Rights....doing that, of course, will be the hard part.

Doc: I remember doing the tax calculations a couple months ago and it does come in at about 83M. Again, that is a huge price to pay, but I seriously doubt LA endangers 2014 by bringing in role players (unless they're on a 1 year deal or have team options that go past 2014).

I believe LA will either try to swap expirings (ie Pau for Granger) or amnesty Pau before they try to bring in committed salary for him. If we bring in salary that nixes 2014, then its probably for a guy we really want heading forward. That is why I really believe Pau stays and just expires next summer.

Instead, we'll probably try to trade Artest, Nash, Duhon and those tertiary players for either expiring deals or really cheap rookie contracts.

If all else fails and they feel the pressures of the tax, they just might amnesty Pau or Metta.

Either way, Mitch was adamant about putting forth a quality product, so I don't think they're really worried about this one year super tax hit. I guess Time Warner has given them a reason to feel this way.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu May 02, 2013 8:49 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cs96l7k
**Note: Subject 1 year from everyone's contract in this trade**

I would love this trade or something close to it. If we have to include Blake or Metta I'm okay with that as well. I know POR would have to take on Pau's contract but they wouldn't have to give up Lamarcus and Lillard, Pau, and LA is a solid foundation. This works obviously is great for us because it gives us our speed, length, athleticism, youth, and shooters.

I know it sort of screws up our 2014 plan, but these guys are great role players for any foundation.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JGC on Fri May 03, 2013 6:37 am

Couldn't agree more. If Pau is moved, it's for a no-brainer superstar (like Love, maybe Rondo) but it has to be a piece they would want to move forward and build around come 2014. It would make no sense to move Pau for role players since doing so offers zero financial advantage and will negatively impact the 2014 plan.

The only potential scenario in which they might consider moving Pau for role players would be at the ASB next year. And this would only happen, IMO, if we're like a #3-#5 seed (but not better or worse) at that point with Kobe still coming back. That might be a scenario where they'd put a small dent in the 2014 plan.

But realistically, what would be the point of doing it to start the season? Why would anyone want to risk, to any degree, the very favorable position cap wise in 2014, unless you feel like you have a very realistic shot at winning it all?
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cs96l7k

I would love this trade or something close to it. If we have to include Blake or Metta I'm okay with that as well. I know POR would have to take on Pau's contract but they wouldn't have to give up Lamarcus and Lillard, Pau, and LA is a solid foundation. This works obviously is great for us because it gives us our speed, length, athleticism, youth, and shooters.

I know it sort of screws up our 2014 plan, but these guys are great role players for any foundation.

Why does Portland do this?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri May 03, 2013 2:27 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cs96l7k

Why does Portland do this?

They get to keep Lamarcus and having Lillard, Pau (at C), and LA at PF is a nice solid core. Sure they lose a little bit of depth, but they have the cap to bring in other worthy talent. Also Pau is a nice expiring contract if they wish to not resign him.

I'm just sharing some of my ideas and wanting to get some opinions.
Battle Tested20

Postby Chillbongo on Fri May 03, 2013 2:48 pm

I believe they need a C. I also believe they're interested in Pau. I don't know if we can snag BOTH Batum/Matthews with Pau alone....but maybe have to throw in Blake or MWP.

I think there's reason for Portland to do this. I don't know how Lillard would fit with two bigs but they seemed ok with Hickson/Aldridge. Plus it's not like Portland made the playoffs with their current roster, I think they'd be looking to make moves.
Chillbongo

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri May 03, 2013 2:50 pm

Maybe a three team trade can go down something like:

LA: Granger, Deng, Hinrich
IND: Boozer
CHI: Gasol, Peace, Meeks

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6257637

:man1:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Helljumper on Fri May 03, 2013 3:18 pm

When your team needs to get better, and you have one valuable trading piece, you don't hold on to him and let him expire. By trading Pau, you can creatively fill many holes in the roster without jeopardizing 2014. No one's saying we need to trade Pau's $19 million expiring for $19 million in long-term contracts. I think an ideal trade would be Pau for an expiring contract who can help us right now and someone on a rookie contract. Maybe something like Pau for Ben Gordon and Kidd-Gilchrist. After that, you try getting a sniper at SF with the mini-MLE (hopefully Korver), trade Blake for a younger PG, and you have a much more balanced team while adding only about $10 million in guaranteed money to 2015. That should still leave us with enough room to offer a max contract I believe.

2014:
Nash / Blake's Replacement / Goudelock
Bryant / Gordon
Korver / Kidd-Gilchrist
Clark / Jamison
Howard / Hill

2015 (with enough cap space to add a max player to the roster below):
Nash / Blake's Replacement
Korver
Kidd-Gilchrist
Clark
Howard
Helljumper

Postby JGC on Fri May 03, 2013 3:41 pm

^ Why would I want that roster, let alone for added cost?

And I don't agree that you never let large contracts expire. If that were true, no teams would ever trade for them.
JGC

Postby Helljumper on Fri May 03, 2013 4:18 pm

JGC wrote:^ Why would I want that roster, let alone for added cost?

And I don't agree that you never let large contracts expire. If that were true, no teams would ever trade for them.

Because that roster is better than Nash/Nobody/Nobody/Nobody/Dwight with free agency as the ONLY tool to add to the team.

Looking at just the Pau trade I mentioned, we'd only be adding MKG's $5 million to the 2015 payroll. So you think it would be a better idea to hold on to Pau and let him expire (meaning we'd be forced into having another unbalanced roster next season)just for the ability to spend that $5 million on someone else in 2015? Again, my trade was just one example. Another example: Pau for Kirilenko, Williams, Cunningham. Another trade that gets you some help in 2014 while only adding about $5 million to 2015. In both my examples, the younger rookie scale players (MKG and Derrick Williams) technically have team options so if you REALLY needed that extra money in order to offer the max, the possibility is there and you end up in the same position as if you just let Pau expire.

If you think that Pau would be more valuable on the court for us in 2014 than the players I suggested bringing in (which I disagree with) then again I reiterate that these were just really quick examples I thought up of on the spot. I trust that given Pau's recent rise in value, Mitch can figure out a better trade that will get us immediate help in 2014 without jeopardizing 2015. Which is my main point. Wanting to maximize cap room for 2015 is NOT a good justification for keeping Pau at all. We can very easily trade Pau to get better next year without significantly affecting how much money we'll have to spend in 2014.
Helljumper

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri May 03, 2013 4:53 pm

^^ I just don't know if MJ and his Bobcats would want to give up on Kidd-Gilchrist this quick. Unlike some on here I can see why the Bobcats would want Pau. Pau is an expiring contract so they go into 2014 with a butt load of cap space along with the bunch they already have. Not to mention just for this next year Pau allows them to bring in the fans and can make them somewhat decent.

But looking at this from the perspective of the players MJ would have to give up I just don't see it happening.
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 03, 2013 6:05 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:Maybe a three team trade can go down something like:

LA: Granger, Deng, Hinrich
IND: Boozer
CHI: Gasol, Peace, Meeks

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6257637

:man1:

Damn we smash that trade like the Hulk. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri May 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Oh yes.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Sat May 04, 2013 7:30 am

Helljumper wrote:
JGC wrote:^ Why would I want that roster, let alone for added cost?

Because that roster is better than Nash/Nobody/Nobody/Nobody/Dwight with free agency as the ONLY tool to add to the team.

Looking at just the Pau trade I mentioned, we'd only be adding MKG's $5 million to the 2015 payroll. So you think it would be a better idea to hold on to Pau and let him expire (meaning we'd be forced into having another unbalanced roster next season)just for the ability to spend that $5 million on someone else in 2015? Again, my trade was just one example. Another example: Pau for Kirilenko, Williams, Cunningham. Another trade that gets you some help in 2014 while only adding about $5 million to 2015. In both my examples, the younger rookie scale players (MKG and Derrick Williams) technically have team options so if you REALLY needed that extra money in order to offer the max, the possibility is there and you end up in the same position as if you just let Pau expire.

If you think that Pau would be more valuable on the court for us in 2014 than the players I suggested bringing in (which I disagree with) then again I reiterate that these were just really quick examples I thought up of on the spot. I trust that given Pau's recent rise in value, Mitch can figure out a better trade that will get us immediate help in 2014 without jeopardizing 2015. Which is my main point. Wanting to maximize cap room for 2015 is NOT a good justification for keeping Pau at all. We can very easily trade Pau to get better next year without significantly affecting how much money we'll have to spend in 2014.

IMO, I would only trade Pau if a) it puts us in a better position financially or b) it gives us pieces that, when paired with Kobe upon his return next season, gives us a real opportunity to contend or c) nets us a big time star (i.e. Love) and is a piece we'd keep and build around in 2014-2015 season.

Since (a) is impossible, it leaves us only with (b) and (c). Those are the only options I am personally willing to consider in a Pau trade scenario. I don't think it makes sense to move Pau for mediocre pieces that will expire next season. And especially so if it comes at the expense of any additional salary for 2014. You say only $5M but that's what, nearly 10% of the cap and that could put us over the threshold preventing us from signing a contributing role player. I don't want to basically lower my available cap room by 10% just to field a mediocre team next season if I can field a mediocre team for free.

I want as much cap room flexibility as I can possibly have when we get to 2014-2015 season. You never know what the landscape looks like then and so you want to be in the most favorable position to take advantage as possible. And IMO, we shouldn't risk that unless, it gives us a real chance to contend in the final year of Kobe's contract.
JGC

Mark Heisler: Lakers Plan A = Keeping Pau and Same Team Back

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat May 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Mark Heisler: Lakers Plan A = Keeping Pau and Bring Everyone Last Season Back

@MarkHeisler

Source w/knowledge of #Laker discussions says keeping Pau, bringing this team back isn't merely an option, it's now Plan A.

https://twitter.com/MarkHeisler/status/ ... 1012085760

I like the idea of keeping Pau. But I'm not sure if I like that bringing back the same team idea.
Kobe8Fan

Postby Legendary on Sat May 04, 2013 7:01 pm

^
Wow.

So, we should just look forward to the summer of 2014...because that seems to be the plan for the front-office if this tweet has any substance.
Legendary

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion