Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Discussion: Paussibly the last time we see him in P&G

Postby Weezy on Sat May 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Yikes, if that's true it's just a tank season situation, let people expire for 2014 offseason. Fun. It's also insanity, according to Einstein anyway. :man1: Hopefully it's not true.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat May 04, 2013 7:09 pm

and the next season is over before it even began
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Doc Brown on Sat May 04, 2013 7:37 pm

:man10: :man10:

Better keep that race to the 8th seed on ice. Need to preserve it for the start of next season.

Unless they plan on revamping the s*** out of the bench. The team is going to be one year older, one step slower and circles will be run around Pau/MWP/Nash/Blake.

This team hasn't worked since we last went to the finals 3 YEARS ago.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Sat May 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Fantastic plan. Brilliant, even. How did we not think of that?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Sat May 04, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm not upset with bringing the core back, but we need to add a SF & backup PG that are athletic & play defense.
lakersin4

Postby Doc Brown on Sat May 04, 2013 8:25 pm

And then if this is true, what is the point in bringing back MDA? They obviously can't run his offense, so what exactly is he doing besides collecting a check?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby slimjim on Sat May 04, 2013 8:32 pm

I personally take the position that if Pau is traded. The lakers should amnesty Kobe. (financially, and basketball/strategy wise it makes sense.) Trading pau signifies rebuild in my mind.

I don't see how Mitch can trade pau for anything that is more championship ready next season relative to Pau (Besides maybe the pipe dream love/pau swap)

For Kobe it's championship or nothing... he doesn't have time to hang around for the Lakers to quickly rebuild in 2-3 seasons. All hopes die if Gasol is traded IMO.

This is why I take the position of keeping Pau because I want to see one last kobe-led championship run. Pau being healthy next season is Kobe's only realistic chance at his last ride off into the sunset championship run.

Yes an argument can be made to get younger by trading Pau which will give the lakers solid pieces for the future. but Kobe most likely won't see the fruits of this trade. He'll be too old by the time those young guns mature.

Pau said he's going to explore options in the off season to help out with his knee pain. Let's hope he does and it works because Kobe's last run depends on it.
Last edited by slimjim on Sat May 04, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimjim

Postby Weezy on Sat May 04, 2013 8:36 pm

I strongly disagree, we are not championship caliber with Pau and haven't been since 2010. We don't know what we can get for him, but if it's an athletic SF that can score/shoot, plus maybe a backup guard that has the same abilities, it might make us overall better than we are now, and closer to championship caliber than we are now. We know what we are now, mediocre to good depending on health, we don't know how good we'd be with the right Pau trade. If Dwight stays, Kobe comes back in a reasonable amount of time, and Nash gets healthy, IMO we'd be no worse off with that and whatever we got for Pau than if we had those players plus Pau, same thing to me. With the right players for Pau though IMO we at least have a chance to be a little better.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat May 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Pau hasn't been healthy in years. The only pipe dream is thinking Pau can play a regular season and playoffs like a legit 2nd option.

I don't get the assumption that we can ONLY win with Pau here. Why does Pau getting traded signify a rebuild? Pau being here signifies an expensive white flag being flow in the air.
Doc Brown

Postby slimjim on Sat May 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Weezy wrote:I strongly disagree, we are not championship caliber with Pau and haven't been since 2010. We don't know what we can get for him, but if it's an athletic SF that can score/shoot, plus maybe a backup guard that has the same abilities, it might make us overall better than we are now, and closer to championship caliber than we are now. We know what we are now, mediocre to good depending on health, we don't know how good we'd be with the right Pau trade. If Dwight stays, Kobe comes back in a reasonable amount of time, and Nash gets healthy, IMO we'd be no worse off with that and whatever we got for Pau than if we had those players plus Pau, same thing to me. With the right players for Pau though IMO we at least have a chance to be a little better.

If we can improve immediately with a Gasol trade? (and when I say immediately, i mean next season ready)

Yes, I'd do it. But there aren't many players out there that fit this criteria.

Also keep in mind, the Lakers don't want to ruin there 2014 plan.

Only thing I can think of right now is a pau/granger swap. (Both expire after next season, but the dude has worse knees than Gasol and has no championsip calibur/experience whatsoever)

Do I trust Granger moreso than pau in a championship run? definitely not.
slimjim

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Sat May 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Do not believe for one second that Mark's LA-Times article is accurate, usually that quote from a source is a stand-off to gain some momentum value for the Lakers players. there is absolutely no way the same crew is coming back unless the Lakers have some sort of plan to get Wiggins or something.

although it would not surprise me entirely to see the same team come back next year as Jim Buss's only value in his career is training horses.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby slimjim on Sat May 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Pau hasn't been healthy in years. The only pipe dream is thinking Pau can play a regular season and playoffs like a legit 2nd option.

I don't get the assumption that we can ONLY win with Pau here. Why does Pau getting traded signify a rebuild? Pau being here signifies an expensive white flag being flow in the air.

Who can the lakers realistically trade Pau for that..

1) Has deep playoff/championship experience like Pau. Ready to make a run RIGHT away. Or has so much talent/skill that his lack of experience can be offset by his talent alone (kevin Love calibur)

2) Doesn't mess up the 2014 plan (Expires after next season, or if this player's contract doesn't expire next season... is this player good enough to scrap the 2014 plan? again... Kevin Love calibur)

The scary thing is yes, Pau has to be healthy. That's the only legitimate chance Kobe has at one last run IMO.
Last edited by slimjim on Sat May 04, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimjim

Postby Doc Brown on Sat May 04, 2013 8:53 pm

slimjim wrote:

What has Pau done in the last 3 playoffs that makes you come to that conclusion?
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Sat May 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Even if Pau were healthy for an entire season I still don't see it. His deep playoff/championship experience hasn't meant a thing for 3 seasons. He was garbage in 2011, I don't even remember him playing in 2012, and this playoffs he was asked to be a leader with that experience and he had minimal impact. He couldn't make shots, he doesn't play defense, he cannot carry a team for sure or even help carry one as a number 2 guy anymore it seems.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Sat May 04, 2013 8:57 pm

slimjim wrote:Who can the lakers realistically trade Pau for that..

1) Has deep playoff/championship experience like Pau. Ready to make a run RIGHT away. Kobe can't wait a season or two.

Kevin Garnett

slimjim wrote:The scary thing is yes, Pau has to be healthy. That's the only legitimate chance IMO Kobe has at one last run.

You can't rely on Pau Gasol being a good-solid option for the Lakers to contend, (you just can't) Gasol is over the hill and is most likely gonna decline further next year..... the Lakers know this and are gonna throw the "Same crew will be back next year" just so the disgruntled star players can gain value from there poor marketing performance.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby slimjim on Sat May 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
slimjim wrote:

What has Pau done in the last 3 playoffs that makes you come to that conclusion?

He didn't all of a sudden drop off skill wise. He is still regularly mentioned as the most skilled big man in the NBA today. (espn, fox sports, tnt comentators have all mentioned it this season)

The problem with Pau the past few years has been over-usage IMO. Pau has also played for Spain every off-season.

He's mentioned after being eliminated this season that he will explore options to improve his knees in the off-season. I think this means he is not going to be playing for Spain.

I believe a rested Pau paired next to kobe/dwight will be enough for a serious run next season... maybe I'm crazy.
slimjim

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Sat May 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Weezy wrote:Even if Pau were healthy for an entire season I still don't see it. His deep playoff/championship experience hasn't meant a thing for 3 seasons. He was garbage in 2011, I don't even remember him playing in 2012, and this playoffs he was asked to be a leader with that experience and he had minimal impact. He couldn't make shots, he doesn't play defense, he cannot carry a team for sure or even help carry one as a number 2 guy anymore it seems.

Matt Bonner outplayed Pau Gasol in this years playoffs... no doubt about it..... Pau Gasol is not coming back next year unless the Lakers are really trying to tank the season / and or trying to let Gasol's K expire.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby Doc Brown on Sat May 04, 2013 9:00 pm

slimjim wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Pau hasn't been healthy in years. The only pipe dream is thinking Pau can play a regular season and playoffs like a legit 2nd option.

Who can the lakers realistically trade Pau for that..

1) Has deep playoff/championship experience like Pau. Ready to make a run RIGHT away. Kobe can't wait a season or two.

2) Doesn't mess up the 2014 plan (Expires after next season, or if this player's contract doesn't expire next season... is this player good enough to scrap the 2014 plan? I'm talking Kevin Love calibur)

The scary thing is yes, Pau has to be healthy. That's the only legitimate chance IMO Kobe has at one last run.

1.) This isn't 2008 anymore. When you want to look at Pau in his most recent appearances in the playoffs (I.E. last 3 years). Pau doesn't fit this description either.

2.) What 2014 plan? Go through the list of free agents in 2014 that we realistically can get. And then go through and eliminate the players with player options, team options, and qualifying offers. That list gets pretty small. 2014 the year of hoping and wishing

3.) Again this is 2013, not 2008, Pau plays 1 side of the court ineffectively and the other side (defense) he plays none of. Kobe's chance at winning another ring hinges on the FO getting a roster that isn't names of yesteryear and actually building a team that is based on skill and not name only.
Doc Brown

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Sat May 04, 2013 9:02 pm

slimjim wrote:I believe a rested Pau paired next to kobe/dwight will be enough for a serious run next season... maybe I'm crazy.

Most likely more crazy then that chimpanzee on your avatar. Gasol is done as a player and maybe going somewhere else will rejuvenate his game,, but as far as being a Laker... he is finished.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby Legendary on Sat May 04, 2013 9:03 pm

lol...

If Pau isn't traded this summer...it's clear as day the FO has their sights on making big moves the following off-season.

Anyone trying to argue that we have a chance at doing ANYTHING of relevance with Pau as a major piece this coming season, is delusional.

No disrespect.
Last edited by Legendary on Sat May 04, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legendary

Postby Weezy on Sat May 04, 2013 9:03 pm

slimjim wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
slimjim wrote:

He didn't all of a sudden drop off skill wise. He is still regularly mentioned as the most skilled big man in the NBA today. (espn, fox sports, tnt comentators have all mentioned it this season)

The problem with Pau the past few years has been over-usage IMO. Pau has also played for Spain every off-season.

He's mentioned after being eliminated this season that he will explore options to improve his knees in the off-season. I think this means he is not going to be playing for Spain.

I believe a rested Pau paired next to kobe/dwight will be enough for a serious run next season... maybe I'm crazy.

I'm not gonna call you crazy, but you might be in denial. Acceptance that the league has passed that type of core by will come eventually, for all our sakes I just hope it's not when we get bounced in next seasons playoffs with that core.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat May 04, 2013 9:03 pm

slimjim wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
slimjim wrote:

Oh really what else did those "knowledgeable" people tell you? Try watching the game with your own eyes and not through the eyes of others. Especially when it comes to evaluating players.
Doc Brown

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Sat May 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Legendary wrote:lol...

If Pau isn't traded this summer...it's clear as day the FO has their sights on making big moves the following off-season.

Anyone trying to argue that we have a chance at doing ANYTHING of relevance with Pau as a major piece next season, is delusional.

No disrespect.

Problem is the 2014 plan is gonna be the same as the 2005 plan...... nothing of substance is gonna come out of that off-season.... the Lakers need to react now and stop wasting there time.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Sat May 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Anyone who believes Heisler's article is delusional.... Gasol is a goner and that source sounds like poop.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat May 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Doc Brown wrote:And then if this is true, what is the point in bringing back MDA? They obviously can't run his offense, so what exactly is he doing besides collecting a check?

the only chips he's delivering are in a can
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion