Pau Discussion: Pau-dini escapes another trade deadline!

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
33%
No
56%
Maybe (explain)
10%

Total votes : 114

Re: Pau Thread: Surgery a success; now rehab & rest for 12 weeks

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:02 pm

The Clown is gone, Kobe probably wont start the season. If Pau is still here, Pringles is gonna "try to stop him from playing 45mpg and give him more of a breather on the bench" but Pau will be too strong willed to listen and he'll be run into the ground.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Re: Pau Thread: Surgery a success; now rehab & rest for 12 weeks

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:Pau will be too strong willed

Oh man, thanks for the laugh! :man10: :man10: :man10:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Re: Pau Thread: #vamos #juntos #lakercorazon

Postby gill on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:18 pm

BIG. BOY. PANTS!
gill

Postby karacha on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:23 pm

You know, I'm curious to see what he can do as the main C again. If he's healthy and rested. He might have some good numbers, but his D will hurt us. Badly.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby gill on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:26 pm

karacha wrote:You know, I'm curious to see what he can do as the main C again. If he's healthy and rested. He might have some good numbers, but his D will hurt us. Badly.

Mike no-D is still the coach. The entire team won't be playing any D at all. Pau will fit right in next season.
gill

Postby Nashty Gal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:24 am

I love Pau.. BUT.. seriously. we gettin killed in the paint this season :man12:

The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:55 am

Who cares if it's a lay up party on D. We just need to execute :man9:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:03 am

Our defense is going to be even worse than last season ... some fans regaining faith in Pau because Kobe tweeted a picture :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:18 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Our defense is going to be even worse than last season ... some fans regaining faith in Pau because Kobe tweeted a picture :man10:

hey debbie downer, we need to cling to something. :man10:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby wallangong on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:28 am

with Dwight gone, i think it's important that we DO NOT trade Pau. i'll make an exception if it's for someone of Rondo's caliber, but I just don't think he'll be able to net us that even at the deadline.

1) Kobe will not slow down his rehab, so don't expect him to skip most of the season. barring a setback, when he's ready to play, he'll play.
2) as some have pointed out, tanking does not work. i've seen people use the Spurs as an example. let's not forget that both Robinson and Sean Elliot were injured that year. they didn't tank on purpose. i'm not even going to entertain the thought of us getting Andrew Wiggins.
3) if our goal is to make a big splash in FA next year, then why even bother trading Pau unless it's for a superstar? and as i said before, i'm not so sure he'll net us that superstar for the future.
4) despite being traded for CP3 before last year, Pau has come back and done his job. he hasn't been the same Pau as before but I wouldn't say he's been terrible. i think a lot of teams would take him as their 3rd option and could still contend given the right mix of players. if we're gunning for free agency we need to be respectable enough to convince a free agent they're the missing link.
5) this ties back to the last point. I believe Pau has gotten over the trade and understands we weren't trading for the sake of trading. we had a chance to get a top 5 player. Pau truly loves being a Laker and we could potentially re-sign him after next year at a discount without compromising our salary cap flexibility.

the future is not that bleak. that's why i don't believe we should trade Pau unless we're getting superstar talent in return. had Dwight stayed, i would have fully supported trading the Spaniard. not anymore though.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:29 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Our defense is going to be even worse than last season ... some fans regaining faith in Pau because Kobe tweeted a picture :man10:

I don't see regained faith as much as appreciation for what Pau did for us, as opposed to Dwight who just bolted. Pau manned up and won 2 titles here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:36 am

We all appreciate what Pau did ... but that's the past , time to move on ( well it has been time for a while)
wcsoldier81

Postby Snake Eyes on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:43 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:We all appreciate what Pau did ... but that's the past , time to move on ( well it has been time for a while)

He's not playing for Spain this summer. Maybe he'll be better. Not championship Pau, but maybe back to 2011-2012 Pau where he can get 17 points per game.
Snake Eyes

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:45 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:We all appreciate what Pau did ... but that's the past , time to move on ( well it has been time for a while)

I've said the very same thing, in this thread I believe, and a few others. I would trade Pau and Nash ASAP if I were in the front office, time to get something for Pau while we can, multiple players (hopefully young and relatively athletic) to help fill out the roster. Only issue is Pau is our only real center right now, (Sacre has an offer, Jordan Hill I consider a PF) so we'd have to replace him in a trade or with a signing, and you're not going to get better than Pau for the minimum or by trading him, it might be best to just ride out the season and let him expire.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby escobar8 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:51 am

i aint no expert on trading...but is this scenario possible...???
is there any team that would trade expireing contract and first round pick for pau...
maybe there is some team that could use pau for one year,maybe he could take that team one step further...
i doubt every team will tank to get better pick, or maybe some there is team with multi picks next year...
i would take some deadweight expieing contract and 15-25 first round pick for pau...
escobar8

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:53 am

It's Pau's birthday, I had no idea

Pau Gasol ‏@paugasol 14m

Today I turn 33 years old!! Big thanks to all of you for your happy birthday messages! Your love is one of the best presents I can receive!

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus 15m

@paugasol Happy birthday - looks like there's a decent chance you'll be in LA this season - I view that as good news - EP

Howard going and Pau probably now staying for the season is a pretty good present I'd think.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wallangong on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:54 am

^ you said it yourself, we're not going to get anyone better by trading him. we may as well at least be mediocre because there's no way we're going to tank as long as Kobe is around. if a deal comes up near the deadline that we can't pass up then you do it, but i'm not looking to trade Pau for mediocre talent. i'd rather just wait to make a splash next offseason. and it doesn't have to be a Lebron or Melo, i'm cool with spreading the money around to a few players.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:54 am

happy bday to the spaniard
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:02 am

New beginnings to the best big man in basketball of times past :man9:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:43 am

wallangong wrote:^ you said it yourself, we're not going to get anyone better by trading him. we may as well at least be mediocre because there's no way we're going to tank as long as Kobe is around. if a deal comes up near the deadline that we can't pass up then you do it, but i'm not looking to trade Pau for mediocre talent. i'd rather just wait to make a splash next offseason. and it doesn't have to be a Lebron or Melo, i'm cool with spreading the money around to a few players.

As usual, we agree.

Keep him until the home run pitch comes. I DO think that pitch will come at the deadline for a GOOD player that's just young and expensive and is a nuisance to this rebuilding issue, but it'll come later.

For now? I love our new/old starting Center.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:15 am

I love Pau, and I actually think he could have a nice year, offensively. It's just his D I can't take anymore. Not with Nash out there, not with (especially when not healthy) Kobe out there, not with MDA coaching. Our D is just too weak.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby kblo247 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:40 am

Run with Pau, put a pit bull who takes no [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.], Kenyon next to him in a big role as well as Odom. Hill can backup Pau
kblo247

Postby kblo247 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:41 am

Finwë wrote:I love Pau, and I actually think he could have a nice year, offensively. It's just his D I can't take anymore. Not with Nash out there, not with (especially when not healthy) Kobe out there, not with MDA coaching. Our D is just too weak.

It may just be time for them to play zone.
kblo247

Postby BDG on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:05 am

Say what you want about Pau, but the guy WANTS to be a Laker and retire a Laker.

He was genuinely hurt when the (nixed) CP3 trade took place and it definitely affected him.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:09 am

One reason he'll play like the beast that he claims he is :man12:

#contractyear
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion