Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Thread: #vamos #juntos #lakercorazon

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:06 pm

That's a great video. Hopefully he can recapture some of that energy with some time off to heal up and as the Centerpiece of the offense again.

I won't hold my breath, but I'll be hopeful anyway.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:40 pm

I think Pau is gonna come back strong this year for a number of reasons - this is 1st summer off he's had in 2 or 3 years from Spanish basketball, contract year, and his return to full-time C.

Don't forget, we all left Gasol for dead in 2011, but then he abused Tyson Chandler and whatever we threw at him in the 2012 Olympics. Whether it was Dwight or Bynum pushing him out of position & out of the post, it's clear that playing stretch/high post PF is not his most productive position. His midrange game comes if he can establish himself in the post, and in my opinion, not vice versa.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, f*** you Pau. Fool me four times, seriously pau, eat a fart!
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:15 am

Pau really made Coward's life a lot easier. It'll be interesting to see how Pau moves the ball in this offense. I think we'll see some fun plays and some frustrating times, but hopefully Pau can really help move the ball more.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:52 pm

3 simple things I hope Pau will have regained after surgery and a summer of rest:

1. Some semblence of lateral mobility on defense. Face up bigs blew by him, and he was an absolute nightmare trying to hedge, switch, and recover, on PnR last year.

2. Some ability to jump to contest shots at the rim.

3. Be aggressive offensively in the post, especially, for the love of god, when guarded by a smaller payer.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:04 pm

I really don't want Pau in pick and pop, or jumpshooting situations. Pau and Nash should be effective in the pick and roll, or else, Pau should be playing in the paint. If he has a good post defender on him, face up.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:04 pm

I think all I'm hoping for honestly is #3. The rest I've pretty much given up on.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:29 pm

therealdeal wrote:I think all I'm hoping for honestly is #3. The rest I've pretty much given up on.

If this is all we get, we're gonna need a defensive PF badly. How mobile was K-mart last year? His defensive stats look okay, but I honestly didn't watch him more than 1-2 games.
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:37 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Pau really made Coward's life a lot easier. It'll be interesting to see how Pau moves the ball in this offense. I think we'll see some fun plays and some frustrating times, but hopefully Pau can really help move the ball more.

He can just see the years of working together Kobe and Pau has so much chemistry on the court. I know its hard to tell by looking at highlights but Pau has always done and been better when he was get more touches specifically down low. I think this next year with the procedures Pau did to both knees, the added rest, how Nash thinks Pau will be a better fit, and Pau should get more consistent touches where he is affective I think Pau will have a great year.

I'm hopeful :jam2:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I think all I'm hoping for honestly is #3. The rest I've pretty much given up on.

If this is all we get, we're gonna need a defensive PF badly. How mobile was K-mart last year? His defensive stats look okay, but I honestly didn't watch him more than 1-2 games.

He looks pretty much like he has the last few years. Still pretty mobile, but not what he used to be. I'd take him for sure.

I'd consider Hill a defensive PF, I just don't trust him for a whole season. My favorite would be Lamar. Even with all of his problems last season he had terrific defensive numbers. If for whatever reason that doesn't work out, I'd take Martin for sure.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:39 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:

PAU IS THAT YOU? :man6:

My GOD Pau TORCHED howard in those finals! Hook shots, faceup jumpshots, fadeaways, dunks, etc. Shot 60%(!!!) in those finals. In comparison to Howard's 48%. Lol interesting to see.
King of Clutch

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:48 pm

"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby noobiew on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:56 pm

I know Pau Gasol is only 33 while Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan is 37, but next coming season we should be definitely do the same to Pau like KG and Tim which have his minutes dropped between 28-30 minutes per game ideally.

Same thing to do for Kobe and Nash, to reduce and closely monitor their minutes as well.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:48 pm

King of Clutch wrote:
GoldenKnight wrote:

PAU IS THAT YOU? :man6:

My GOD Pau TORCHED howard in those finals! Hook shots, faceup jumpshots, fadeaways, dunks, etc. Shot 60%(!!!) in those finals. In comparison to Howard's 48%. Lol interesting to see.

wow that was awesome. if we get a healthy pau that is 80-85% of that this year, i'll be happy.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:26 am

Pau could have the best statistical season of his career as the main big in D'antoni's system. Comes down to the same things it has for the last few seasons: Staying healthy, staying happy. With Dwight gone it's extremely likely Pau's going to play his contract out as a Laker, & he should be getting the ball in spots he's more comfortable at, in a role he believes he still deserves.. I think we have #2 covered. If he can stay healthy I think we'll see 18/10.5/3.5/1.5 on good percentages from Pau.
lakersin4

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:54 am

I think the FO will keep him this year, since the payroll will be under the apron. That way we won't have to pay the repeater tax.

The only way I see him being traded at the deadline is if either a) our record stinks and we're going to miss the playoffs, or b) we get an opportunity to trade him for a core player who is being dumped for salary reasons.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:21 am

Yeah 3 years of mediocrity really has not endeared Pau to the Laker faithful.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:20 am

lakersin4 wrote:Pau could have the best statistical season of his career as the main big in D'antoni's system. Comes down to the same things it has for the last few seasons: Staying healthy, staying happy. With Dwight gone it's extremely likely Pau's going to play his contract out as a Laker, & he should be getting the ball in spots he's more comfortable at, in a role he believes he still deserves.. I think we have #2 covered. If he can stay healthy I think we'll see 18/10.5/3.5/1.5 on good percentages from Pau.

Hope so!! Or on the other hand Dan could play Kaman as the starting center and continue to play Pau away from the basket. Just have Pau work on his 3 point shooting to be that stretch four he showed so much promise at last year.
LTLakerFan

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:21 pm

Pau Gasol eager to reclaim post

BARCELONA, Spain -- With Dwight Howard gone and Kobe Bryant injured, Pau Gasol is looking to reassert himself as a leader of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Knees allowing, he wants to be the dominant player of old who helped Bryant & Co. win NBA titles in 2009 and 2010.

"I think I have the most uncertain period behind me," Gasol told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "The team has suffered a lot of changes, but as far as me, I am back in the position of a lot of responsibility, which I like, and I'm just going to focus on getting healthy."

"Gasol I think I have the most uncertain period behind me. The team has suffered a lot of changes, but as far as me, I am back in the position of a lot of responsibility, which I like, and I'm just going to focus on getting healthy.” - Pau Gasol

"Now with Dwight gone I am the reference inside and I am more like I was a couple of years back when we made the Finals three straight times and won two straight championships," he added.

The Lakers are at an especially difficult point, with Howard snubbing the storied club to sign with the Houston Rockets, and Bryant, its heart and soul, out indefinitely recovering from a torn Achilles tendon.

Gasol wasn't surprised by Howard's decision to leave after just one season because it was "always a possibility." He described his former teammate as a "nice guy" and a "hard worker."

Gasol spoke to the AP in the Barcelona airport, where he had just returned from a trip as a UNICEF goodwill ambassador to a refugee camp established in Iraq for the thousands fleeing the violence in neighboring Syria. Gasol called attention to the shortages of water, medicine and schools in the camp that was built for 15,000 but has taken in 50,000.

Gasol said this sort of work gives balance to his life as a pro athlete and the commotion surrounding his team, especially during last season when the Lakers were swept in the first round of the playoffs after beginning the year as a title contender.

"I've made five trips to the field (with UNICEF) and seen all kinds of different things and people suffering a lot of different situations," Gasol said. "Obviously, it puts things in perspective, and all the other things I might deal with my team or with my profession are much less important or meaningful than the lives of people that are on the line every day."

In September, Pau and brother Marc Gasol, a center for the Memphis Grizzlies, will be launching the "Gasol Foundation," which is focused on children's health.

Despite the loss of Howard, Bryant's injury and a disappointing year, the Lakers are not overhauling the team. Instead, they seem prepared to wait for Bryant to get healthy and go for another run with him and Gasol as their pillars.

The Lakers did waive Metta World Peace, but they signed Nick Young, Jordan Farmar and Wesley Johnson and Chris Kaman.

Yet even with Howard off to Texas, there are still two factors that will play an important role in whether Gasol can return to peak form at age 33 and entering his 13th season in the league: his health and his coach.

Gasol had surgery followed by stem cell treatment on both knees in May. He said that after resting for most of this summer he is increasing the intensity of his rehab.

"These next two months are the key months to find out how they really are," he said, adding that he wasn't in pain.

And while Gasol wants to again be the Lakers' second scorer after Bryant, he still hasn't heard if coach Mike D'Antoni agrees.

The Spaniard said that he had spoken to Bryant, point guard Steve Nash, and general manager Mitch Kupchak about the team after Howard decided to leave, but he has yet to speak to D'Antoni.

Gasol had a rough first season with the former Suns and Knicks coach and lost his guaranteed starter's job. Nevertheless, Gasol is looking forward to this season.

D'Antoni "had a tough position, I had a tough position," Gasol said. "I had a job to do, he had a job to do, so there really is no mystery. I know he had challenges. It was a very challenging season. Next season is a different one and a new chapter. So we'll start out fresh and do our best."

A career scorer of 18-plus points a game, Gasol had his worst scoring season in 2012-13, averaging 13.7. Now the four-time All Star is aiming to bounce back.

"I have a great motivation," he said. "It's the last year of my contract so I want to get back to being one of the top players in the league."
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:49 pm

a healthy aggressive and motivated pau is extremely hard to guard. i think between kobe and kurt they can get dantoni to use pau correctly again as the only post presence on this team now. were gonna miss the easy lobs he would make to another big like dwight or bynum but he should make up for it with finally being the only one in the post.

last year on his contract so he'll def have to be playing all out and hopefully his body holds up. I think chemistry wise with Pau Kobe and Nash it should be much better without Dwight and the offense should flow much smoother with all the passing ability between them and unselfishness.

Defense will be pretty bad in the post without Dwight but it was still not amazing with him, but that could have been chemistry and injuries as well as coaching.

If healthy and aggressive and motivated I fully expect Pau to do well this season. It wont be like it was a few years ago during the title runs but it should resemble that unlike the past couple seasons. I believe in him as well as Kobe and Nash to all have something to prove and comeback strong after their injuries and failure last season.
Ariza3

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:51 pm

Laker players..... listen up: Stay the hell out of Iraq. Big 7 foot target. Not good. :nono2:

Of course very admirable work joking aside. He and his family are special.
LTLakerFan

Postby SK8 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Pau Gasol ‏@paugasol 1h
In #Barcelona with one of the best players of the world, @KDTrey5 , and with my friends of @nikebasketball !

The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby XXIV on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Pau telling him how great LA is. :man1:
XXIV

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:05 am

I still believe, for some damn reason I still believe...hopefully this move to C & having the post to himself will allow him to be at least something close to what we saw in 2010

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby LooN3y on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:31 pm

therealdeal wrote:

damn man, i hate coward, but those alley oops though
LooN3y

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion