Payton already talking about being a Laker

Payton already talking about being a Laker

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:17 am

Did anyone just catch Sports Central with Alan Massengale? I saw a piece of an interview with the Glove, looked like he was in town. What he said:

-Money won't be an issue

-Not worried about getting enough shots. Said the shots would come because Shaq and Kobe get doubled team.

He sounded like he was going to be Laker in july

Poster: clone @ LakersGround
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:09 pm

Can't wait to see what will happen starting July 1.
Hopefully GP is making that statement truthfully and not just to create a bargaining chip against the other teams.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:42 pm

OMG!! MAN!! It's all starting to fall into place!! We all knew money or shots attempts wouldnt be an issue, to point is we need him to contribute and help lead us to anotha title! :jam2: I'm luv ya GP!
LakersGyrl2003

Postby OG on Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:35 pm

I dont think this post is getting the kind of massive reponce i figured it would have.

GP averages 20 ppg /3 rpg/ 7 apg, sounds like a 3rd star on the same team. we should be garunteed a ring next year, and probably would repeat.
Quoting Shaq on one of his spontainious freestyles durring practices:

"I stay paid niggaaa, I live laid niggaaa, I've been rappen ever since the third grade niggaaa".
OG

Postby BDG on Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:42 pm

We'll be a scary [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] team if we get Payton. It's lookin good right now... hopefully Kupchak can work out a deal wit da Glove.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Seawell on Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:58 pm

GP is #1 on my summer wishlist. I think he is just what we need.
Seawell

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:46 pm

We can always get a big body that can bump around the other PFs of the Western Conf.

But finding a PG, that has the skills and experience of Payton is one in a million. He's the priority and everything can fall into place afterwards.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby ZenMaster on Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:50 am

I'm with OG...I too am a bit surprised this hasn't gotten more response?...maybe some people think GP is just talking for the sake of it...but I sincerely hope GP is for real on this, and not just using us for leverage or something with another team (*cough*, Kendall Gill). Like Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 said, if we can land him it would be such a HUGE boost for our team. And we can still get a decent PF somewhere else. Normally I would prefer someone a bit younger when it comes to our free agent signings (say a Rafer Alston or Gilbert Arenas), but GP still has PLENTY left in his tank, has the required experience, can hang with the best of 'em - still - and is willing to play for the mid-level ex., then you have to ask...why the hell not???...we would still be set for the next few years. Come on Mitch, ball's in your court...
ZenMaster

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:25 am

Im really hoping for Malone and Payton... It's surprising how many peoiple out there think that these two won't come... It's crazy, they know where they want to go -- The place with the two best players in the big L; Shaq & Kobe.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:42 am

If I was Mitch I would go after Payton first. Hopefully, this will provide an example to Karl and he will be convinced to join the Lakers.

Regardless, with Payton and Kobe in our backcourt, we can basically stop any opposing guards down. No way they can score on us with these two. And we can always bring in Fisher to bring some energy and in situations where he can provide an advantage.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:46 am

If we bring in Payton, this will relieve pressure off the guards - Fisher, Kobe etc... And if we do get Karl (Who in my opinion will come to L.A. faster than Payton will...) then that will release pressure off the fowards to perform well...

It will add a secure bench, something we really havn't had since the 1999-2000 season...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:13 pm

With Payton, we can have a quality third scorer. Something we have been missing since Glen Rice.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby FirstLady on Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:35 pm

The thought of having Payton AND Malone on the roster next season gives me goose bumps! Image

Can you imagine the horror in the minds and on the faces of the rest of the league? Image

I believe there's an added bonus in acquiring an older player whose been in the league for a while, but also still has game..........they probably come to realize that winning a championship is the most important thing above getting the dollars and being the "star" of the team!

I welcome Gary and Karl with open arms!
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:14 pm

Thank you FirstLady, you and I share the same opinion. I think getting Malone and Payton would def. put us at the top of the Leauge...

Think reality guys, check this lineup out...!

Derek Fisher (1)
Gary Payton (2)
Kobe Bryant (3)
Karl Malone (4)
Shaq Daddy (5)

OH MY GOD!!! :man4:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:05 am

I would prefer this Lineup...

Payton / Fisher
Bryant / Rush
Posey / George / Fox
Malone / Medvedenko / Horry
O'neal / Madsen

THAT is a [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] GREAT roster and it is attainable...
Snakell Beast

Postby BDG on Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:17 am

I really don't see that lineup being possible. Snakell, please explain to me how that will be done. Payton, Malone & Posey?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:57 am

Well, it probably won't, but here is how we might get it...

Payton said money isn't an issue and Malone said he'd be willing to take the LLE if it meant he got a championship...so we split the MLE on both players (legal)...

With the glut of Small Forwards (like Pippen, Odom, Maggette) and the handful (literally half a dozen) teams under the cap, Posey, Pike and other players that would normally be MLE level will be forced to take minimum or LLE contracts. We spend the LLE on Posey.

AND VIOLA...Your roster for next season...and that is assuming our draft choices don't pan out...
Snakell Beast

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:13 am

trade: RUSH/MADSEN/WALKER/draft pick 32nd for TERRY&Ratliff
sign mediocre free agents: PIKE/Tyron HILL for LLE
probably won't use the MLE until FEB to see if we need additional help... you know CHEAP AS BUSS....

heres my line up:
starters:
TERRY (pg)
KOBE (sg)
GEORGE (sf or sg)
RATLIFF (pf or c)
SHAQ (c)

bench:
FISHER (pg or some pg)
PARGO (ditto)
SLAVA (most likely will be our starting PF and might get P.T. at SF
HORRY(reward him for his past heroics and retire as a later $5 mill) (PF)
(one draft pick) HANSEN or OUTLAW (projects- future SG and SF)
Tyron HILL ( PF and C back-up)
PIKE ( if he wants to stay in LA) (will back up KOBE at SG and or SF)

Injured Reserved:
FOX (will be shooting more FORD COMMERCIALS... lol)

Besides KOBE and SHAQ this squad is pretty decent. I would beat our squad from last year. The best part about it is a LEANER SHAQ and an HEALTHY shoulder of KOBE's and FOX will be back... we will be just fine... to bring the TITLE BACK...... " and you know DIZZZ MANNNN!!!! " ...Chris TUCKER ,,,
Last edited by #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:19 am

I think this is what we will end up with. Payton mentioned in another arcticle posted in another thread that he would not settle for 3 to 4 million at the prime of his carreer. WTF!!! this is after he just finished saying that he would love to play for PHIL and with SHAQ and KOBE. Now, you tell me.... don't you think he is pulling a KENDAL GILL?.... sure sounds like it to me. Say one thing but do another. Guys and Girls.... believe me no matter how hungry he is for a title.... MONEY BLINDS PEOPLE EVEN IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH... He will not be able to resist the amount of money other teams will offer him and that will be twice or even 3 times what we could give. I really have my doubts with HIM and MALONE.... they are just trying to bring the ANTI-UP on their future contracts... you know opponents will just about do anything to get players away from our hands (the LAKERS) even as far as to toss foolish amounts dollars just so we don't get the free agents we want.
Snakell... you line up is real nice and a nice dream.... I wish it would come true... but then reality sets and we are not getting MALONE/PAYTON/ARENAS/KIDD/PJ BROWN/J.Oneal and even HOWARD.
The best we could hope for is the TRADE with ATLANTA... that would bring us TERRY and RATLIFF and a few free agent scrubs who was over paid previously.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby kingjsun on Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:58 am

I agree el numero uno kobe fan! When money talks, [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] walks. And, if all Malone and Payton are doing is talking [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.], (hold up, GP talking trash, isn't he the best at that!?) then the mula will definately pull them away form the Lakers. :man6: Besides, both of them have been to the finals (Malone twice) just to be out done by Jordan :bow: and his bulls. They had there chance. If they want another, then they know what they must do. Otherwise, they'll be going fishing with EJ, the Jet, and Sir Charles nest season while the members in purple and gold hold up trophys.
kingjsun

Return to Lakers Discussion