Payton "definitely has an interest in the Lakers"

Payton "definitely has an interest in the Lakers"

Postby clublakers on Thu May 15, 2003 7:07 am

"...There is also a possibility that the Glove could end up with Shaq and Kobe.

"Whatever team he goes to is going to be a contending team," Goodwin said. "He definitely has an interest in the Lakers." "

source: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/121681_moore13.html
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby GoldenEye on Thu May 15, 2003 7:16 am

Gary will be definitively the missing piece for another shot to a championship ...

I'll love that. :man13:
GoldenEye

Postby Guest on Thu May 15, 2003 3:47 pm

Gosh whats up w/ you guys wanting us to get old players?? They will just be liabilities in the future and won't have much time in LA. If anything, I'd rather get Gilbert Arenas. Payton only has so much more time to play, but Arenas has a long way to go.

Postby Lakers4Ever on Thu May 15, 2003 3:47 pm

Sorry I forgot to Log In... that last post was me
Jessica Alba is the HOTTEST woman alive!
Lakers4Ever

Postby clublakers on Thu May 15, 2003 9:56 pm

Lakers4Ever, I guess the Lakers have two choices... win now with Shaq as our focus or win later with Kobe as our focus.

If we are going to pound it into Shaq then there is no harm in bringing in a couple of experienced veterans for a couple of years. When Shaq is done in 2006 (in theory), then we start the youth movement around Kobe.

If we concede that Shaq is on his way out already (mentally and physically), then we should start the youth movement now and build around Kobe.

My vote is to steer clear of the older vets and to get more athletic now. Shaq can still have an impact in the paint while our perimeter get quicker. But, I don't call the shots.

Unfornutately, I believe the Mitch Kup will be looking for a quick fix for the now, which means Pippen, Payton, Malone, etc.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby GoldenEye on Thu May 15, 2003 10:33 pm

Anonymous wrote:Gosh whats up w/ you guys wanting us to get old players?? They will just be liabilities in the future and won't have much time in LA. If anything, I'd rather get Gilbert Arenas. Payton only has so much more time to play, but Arenas has a long way to go.

Do you really think Arenas will come for the middle exception ... No way.
As you say he is young and has a long way to go so he will first seek the buckets and then later a ring.

Could we get him via trade ?
GoldenEye

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu May 15, 2003 11:34 pm

Whoa GP!?? He's a pretty dayam good pg... We need one too, but at his age??? You know what it really doesn't even matter if he has years left to play. If he still has it, then so be it...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri May 16, 2003 12:29 am

From the way we look this past series with the Spurs, we definitely need Gary.

We just need some help period. I feel like the only ok scoring threat we have other than Kobe and Shaq is D-Fish and Devean. And sometimes we can't count on those two for our offense.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

The Glove would be a good fit for Lakers.

Postby win4chick on Fri May 16, 2003 9:53 pm

I don't think getting Gary Payton would be a bad idea, imagine the best defensive backcourt in the league. The question is whether or not he is still quick enough to guard the younger point guards in the league, Parker was scoring on him last year in the playoffs, but he would definately be the third scorer the lakers are lacking. I much rather see the Lakers get younger and get Arenas or Terry.
win4chick

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat May 17, 2003 1:11 am

I would rather get Jason Terry and Juwan Howard. They are younger versions of Malone and Payton. We should look into trying to redo that Madsen/Horry/Rush trade for Terry and Ratliff and then sign Juwan Howard @ the MLE. Then dump Samaki and sign Adrian Griffin (to the LLE)to replace Kareem Rush and add Alonzo Mourning (minimum) to replace Horry. Since we don't need an offensive back up to Kobe, we need a defensive back up, Griffin makes the most sense @ SG. Then our lineup looks like this:

Jason Terry / Derek Fisher / Janerro Pargo
Kobe Bryant / Adrian Griffin
Devean George / Rick Fox
Juwan Howard / Theo Ratliff / Stanislav Medvedenko
Shaquille O'neal / Alonzo Mourning
Snakell Beast

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 18, 2003 11:26 am

If we get Payton, he doesn't have to necesarily guard Parker. We can put him on Bowen or Jackson, and put Kobe on Parker. All Pargo needs is more experience. He has the quickness and the tenacity. all he needs is playing time to learn.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun May 18, 2003 1:17 pm

Pargo will take a few years to develope, so we need assume that we have only 1 legitimate PG for now (D-Fish) and that pargo is a future prospect.
Snakell Beast

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 18, 2003 1:29 pm

I totally agree. We do need another quality guy at the point, but priority is getting help at the front court, then getting athletic wing players that can contribute, via draft or FA.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun May 18, 2003 2:26 pm

That is why I think we will re-sign Madsen and Horry, keep Slava and sign Malone as the starting PF and Keon Clark as the back up Center. Then we simply add Gary Payton and suddenly we have a deep team with offense and defense...with only 3 new faces...
Snakell Beast

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sun May 18, 2003 2:32 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:That is why I think we will re-sign Madsen and Horry, keep Slava and sign Malone as the starting PF and Keon Clark as the back up Center. Then we simply add Gary Payton and suddenly we have a deep team with offense and defense...with only 3 new faces...

That's a good attitude... All we really need is these 3, and it'll be a done deal u know? We'd have depth in our roster, and have all we really need.... BEWARE next season!! :bow:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Mon May 19, 2003 12:57 pm

I don't think its a good idea have KOBE guard Parker in future battles. Although Kobe would relish this it would slow down his offensive game.
Late in the fourth quarter Kobe can switch over to guard him. I thought by getting a PG it to get Kobe some help not make him work even harder. We need someone who can at least hold his own against the BIBBY's and PARKER's in the league both defensively and offensively.
:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

Kobe our real MVP :bow:
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 19, 2003 2:32 pm

It doesn't matter anyway. We can't get a quality player anytime soon, so we might as well take a dive next season and finish with about 5 wins. Then trade about 3 or 4 crap players and our second round draft choice for a trade that sent us a mid 1st rounder so we have 2 first rounders. Then maybe we can get a quality player, but probably not!
Snakell Beast

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue May 20, 2003 1:15 am

LOL
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Danny Ainge on Fri May 23, 2003 4:52 pm

Payton said on the Best Damn Sports Show that he wants to be on the west coast and he wants to play for a contender. Clearly he is leaning towards the Lakers.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri May 23, 2003 7:13 pm

Yeah, or the Spurs...who coincedentally will BE this year's champions and will be able to PAY HIM SOME DECENT CASH!
Snakell Beast

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat May 24, 2003 1:44 pm

Payton would be a nice addition.

Everything is a speculation and I just have a feeling that Mitch will mess this up. Bring Jerry back.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Do the Damn Thing

Postby NateBall7 on Mon May 26, 2003 2:41 pm

Lets pull the trigger. Get Payton, his experience consistent scoring and defen And defense is needed, and (he can defend better than Fish regardless of age). Keep FISH, he knows how to run the offense and GP and Fish could provide that scoring at the 1 position as a tandem. Also GP can play at the SG, with Fish on the court. when Kobe is resting or is in foul trouble. Next get Juwan Howard, he is athletic and also a consistent scorer. He a decent defender and could finally do some justice to our problem at the 4 position for the next 4 years. Howard can even play 5 when going small. Lets get some temporary insurance for Shaq, and get Alonzo Morning, Zo can still play the game he just can't carry the whole load, and he'd be in better shape that Shaq. Let him back-up Shaq, and Howard and get 20-25 minutes a game. he would aslo provide defense and addtional scoring. With these pickups we could easily average 105 ppg. and defensively slow down most every team.

line up 2003-2004 season
Dwane Wade for both draft picks would be and excellent pick!!
PG Payton/ Fish/Fargo
SG Kobe/Payton/Wade
SF George/Fox/Wade/Kobe
PF Howard/Morning/Slava/Madsen PF by committee
C Shaq/Morning/Madsen

I really would like to see Rush on the team but where would he fit????

This team seems to be prime for another 2 title runs

Hail to the 2004 and 2005 regaining World Champion LAKERS!!!
NateBall7

Postby #1 Laker Fan on Mon May 26, 2003 3:30 pm

Okay people GP would be a great addition to the lakers squad. Derek Fisher and Jannero Pargo are still good PG's but Fisher is a scorer not a passer. Normally he gets the ball and scores. He does not get that many assists. If Fish came off the bench that would give lakers an actual good bench. As for Jannero Pargo in a couple years he is going to be GREAT! Even though he had limited minutes this year he did good. He's got all the shots, and he can pass. Maybe not like Jason Kidd, but still good. Now Gary would provide an answer while Jannero is improving. GP can score 20 PPG while still getting 10+ APG. And dfensively GP could steal better than fish so GP can provide the Lakers with the #1 defense in the league. That means Lakers should sign GP so they can get another championshp. :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9:
#1 Laker Fan

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Mon May 26, 2003 3:35 pm

you really expect them to get PAYTON, HOWARD and MOURNING?!!!!
LOL,... we would be lucky if one of them signs for the MLE.
I'd take PJ Brown over HOWARD. We just need more defensive minded player at the position. Remember HOWARD does not like playing Defense and out west he'll face WEBBER, DUNCRAP,Wallace,Garnett. Brown would be real physical with all those guys. If MOURNING can play how he used to then HE would solve our PF/back-up center spot. I'd take MOURNING and PJ BROWN..... ( HEAT REUNION ).....
Payton would look so tight in LAKER gear. Not to mention KOBE would love to have him help hound the ballhandler..... remember the "doobermans" (jordan/pippen days w/bulls)

KOBE OUR REAL MVP :bow:
#1_Kobe_fan

Re: Do the Damn Thing

Postby BDG on Mon May 26, 2003 4:38 pm

NateBall7 wrote:line up 2003-2004 season
Dwane Wade for both draft picks would be and excellent pick!!
PG Payton/ Fish/Fargo
SG Kobe/Payton/Wade
SF George/Fox/Wade/Kobe
PF Howard/Morning/Slava/Madsen PF by committee
C Shaq/Morning/Madsen

i don't think you can have 17 people on your roster...
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion