Payton is demanding considerably more than the $4.7 million

Payton is demanding considerably more than the $4.7 million

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:51 am

The Lakers also are making pitches to Gary Payton, Juwan Howard, P.J. Brown, Brad Miller and Derrick Coleman. But after two days of talks, it has become clear that most of them are out of the Lakers' price range.

Payton is demanding considerably more than the $4.7 million that the Lakers can pay and will only come to the Lakers in a more lucrative sign-and-trade deal. The Lakers do not have the assets to swing a deal with the Milwaukee Bucks and, therefore, have little chance of landing Payton.

source:

http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0, ... 31,00.html
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby GoldenEye on Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:29 am

Seems we are in deep trouble :bang:
Dynasty is not over, Lakers dynasty has begun!
GoldenEye

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:49 am

I agree.. we are in deep trouble.....
#1_Kobe_fan

Quick draw

Postby Laker brain on Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:55 am

We can't wait for Payton, if he doesn't make up his mind soon, we should take whoever is willing to be with us. (Howard and Malone seem like the most interested). We cannot afford to wait and not get any of the BIGS. I'm sorry but I say first come first served. With any of the bigs and a healthy and focused Shaq, we should win the championship. The only thing that can stop us are injuries. Lets hope we stay healthy.
Todays minimum is yesterdays maximum!
Laker brain

Postby ZenMaster on Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:22 am

Like so many of his opponents over the years, I have grown weary of hearing GP's mouth. Mitch just needs to tell him, "look, this is the way it is, Gary, $4.x million, take it or leave it." Instead of letting him work us like this, trying to get us to work out a ridiculous sign-and-trade or whatever, when he knows damn well we don't have a lot to work with in the first place. Look GP, either you want a ring or not. What's it gonna be??? I agree with LakerBrain, he who hesitates in NBA free agency is toast...I say we start going after some of the supposedly "lesser" free agents a.s.a.p. (Brian Skinner, Corie Blount, Scott Williams, Rafer Alston, Rick Brunson, Jeff Trepagnier, etc. etc. etc.) and forget GP. He has our number, he knows how to get a hold of us. Maybe when he comes back down to earth we can talk to him then.
ZenMaster

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:59 pm

GP is just tryin to have his cake and eat it too. It doesn't work like that. If he wants the championship, then he needs to take a lil' than what he's barganing for. He should understand that we also need other quality players, and in doin so, a championship will be worth it all in the long run. It's his loss since he only really cares about the money he's been makin for his entire career.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:04 pm

It's ok, if we have a chance to get Payton, let's get him. Not fool around with him though. We need to be negotiating with Arenas as well...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby whats golden on Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:43 pm

If we can't get GP I don't think we are much of a chance to sign Arenas - we should look at Dre Miller.

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby Roscoe on Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:46 pm

They are both restricted though, so the Warriors or the Clippers can match our offers. I kind of like Speedy Claxton, he's lightening quick and he has Finals experience.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby shackO on Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:05 pm

of cource he is........ not much time left and he aint gonna give it away..??? is he...lol :man13:
shackO

Return to Lakers Discussion