Payton & Malone according to credible sources

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:48 am

We shall know within a few hours if GP really wants to be a Laker!
LakersGyrl2003

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:49 am

Vasashi17 wrote:Man, i am soo tired, but I had to address you zeta before I went to bed. That's tyte that you found that Zo piece, so the Heat are pretty much eliminated from the GP bid. But what about Portland. If there is any team that i'm afraid we will lose GP to, it has to be Portland and to some what Indiana. Is there anything out there that dismisses Portland from the GP sweepstakes? If so, I would like to know ASAP...if not...good nite y'all

Well, im not afraid of portland because they said this

The Lakers remain Payton's top choice, although the Miami Heat remain a possibility -- but only if the Heat give Payton all of their available room under the salary cap --around $11 million for next season. In addition, Payton would only sign with the Heat if he had assurances that Miami also would re-sign free-agent center Alonzo Mourning.

It didnt mention portland in there!!! :freak2: I dont like to repeat things but only to prove a point!!
zetaw00d

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:57 am

Sorry, I made you repost it zeta...I just too tired to read every line now...but thanx for clearing it up...I want to feel as confident as you do, but i still feel real uneasy about payton. I think Malone will come, but Payton is a harder sell. He really wants it all, the cash money bling and the ring bling. Payton should just stop with all this S&T talk and just commit. :bang: Only then will I be at a peace of mind :sing:
Last edited by Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:58 am

Vasashi17

Indianapolis Star Columnist Bob Kravitz: Chances are, Jermaine O'Neal will stay home. Chances are, he will go to San Antonio Wednesday -- Jason Kidd got the Spurs' sales pitch Sunday and will again today -- and will return home with the renewed belief that this is where he belongs. Chances are, familiarity and the chance to make $30 million more over seven years will keep O'Neal with the Pacers.

Chances are . . .

This, however, is no slam dunk.

Not with O'Neal. Not after his team imploded after the All-Star break. Not after a Game 6 performance that left the stench of unconditional surrender, leaving O'Neal to wonder if he cared a whole lot more than some of his teammates cared. And certainly -- certainly -- not after his stepfather attempted suicide back in March, the kind of life-altering event that can leave a raw 24-year-old with a life's worth of self-knowledge.

When asked after this season about the advantages of staying in Indianapolis and making more money and remaining the team's No. 1 attraction, O'Neal told ESPN The Magazine, "I don't give a damn about numbers."

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/ ... 1-036.html

If either of those happens they will not be able to sign GP. O'Neal leaves GP will not go there!! If O'Neal stays they will not have enough to sign him!! Only a sign and trade will work here! Thats the only thing that i can see!!!!
zetaw00d

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:00 am

Vasashi17 wrote:Sorry, I made you repost it zeta...I just too tired to read every line now...but thanx for clearing it up...I want to feel as confident as you do, but i still feel real uneasy about payton. I think Malone will come, but Payton is a harder sell. He really wants it all, the cash money bling and the ring bling. Payton should just stop with all this S&T talk and just commit. :bang: Only then will I be at a peace of mind :sing:

Damm, me too!!! I really want GP and Malone to join the Lakers but anything still can happen!!! Its all up to the players!!! Dont worry about the repost, i hate reading long post also!! Im confident, but im not goin to bet the farm on this!!!
zetaw00d

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:07 am

Even as the Milwaukee Bucks apparently pondered the possibilities of sign-and-trade deals involving Payton with the Portland Trail Blazers and Indiana Pacers, and as the game's headline free agents — Jason Kidd and Jermaine O'Neal — prepared to roll through Texas, the Lakers awaited the call from Payton that might flick the first off-season domino.

I bet if the Lakers sign GP!! Kidd will go to the spurs!!! Well thats what i thing!! The west coast is goin to be stacked again!!!!
zetaw00d

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:08 am

Great point zeta, definitely worth stayin up for...at least i can sleep with a little less burden on my mind. Well I hope something in writing will come up about Portland, and when it does, I know you'll be the first to report it. Thanx dogg. It feels good only worrying about Portland. Portland though is really scary, cause they said that they will S&T anybody but Wallace to the bucks with the most popular package being mcginnis & sabonis. The bucks will most likely waive sabonis to clear cap for next summer. So i know the bucks are ready to pull the trigger on that deal, I just hope GP aint. Not only that, he won't have to move to far from the northwest area where he really likes living probably due to his family being accustomed to that area. Seattle and Portland ain't lands apart if you know what I mean. Anyways here's the link were I found all this bad news: http://www.pe.com/sports/lakers/stories ... 57826.html

I really hope it doesn't happen and if a S&T has to take place, why not package Fisher or Fox with Slava cuz Pargo will be a good back up this year. And if not, go after Lue...I don't know, just a thought. What do you think?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:12 am

Vasashi17

Well im thinking that GP wants to win a ring!! If he goes to portland he wont win a ring and i think GP knows that!! If its a sign and trade they would have to give up a lot because GP would be goin there for money!! Not enough stars in portland to win a ring!!! So thats why im not worried about them!!
zetaw00d

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:13 am

Of course... GP wants a ring, and so does Malone.. And since money can't buy a championship, I dont think they're too worried about money, even though GP wants his... But he has to give a lil' to get a lil', more like get a lot...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:29 am

Yeah you guys are right...I won't trip no more....but I can't wait till at least a verbal agreement of some sort....it seems the 16th is too far off. Oh the agony...anyways i think i'm trippin cause i'm sleep deprived, but i can't get myself to be tired cause i'm to anxious on what tomorrows news will bring...anyways thanx you guys
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Payton and Malone-credible source

Postby OJ2 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:30 am

Ive said it once and I will say it again, Malone has done what he is suppose to do. Malone has said 'LAKERS I'm your guy.' He has given up money in order for Gary to get all that we can afford to pay.How does Payton repay him and his friends(Shaq,Magic and Phil)?by saying he is interested in the Heat!!!!! Is this the same guy that said that he wants to be on a team that has a chance to win a ring?If this deal does not go through it will not be the fault of Malone or Mitch it will be GREED!!!!!!!! Have we not been down this road before? I say comit or be gone!
THE JUICE
OJ2

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:29 pm

Dude!! GP wants both, a paycheck and a ring!!! I really dont blame him because he is worth just about 12 mil and Lakers only can offer him 4.9 or 4.5 mil!!! But it would be sweet if he came to the Lakers. If the Lakers get both GP and Karl, then the Spurs will try to counter that move but getting O'Neal and Kidd. That would be sweet also.

Lakers: GP, Kobe, (SF), Malone and Shaq vs Spurs: Kidd, Ginoblli, Bowen, O'Neal and Duncan!!!

The Lakers would still beat their [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] but still that would be a sweet match up!!!
zetaw00d

I hear.................

Postby Shaq Fan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:31 pm

HELLO-------

I have seen these on the bottom of the screen on ESPN, that Malone & the Glove have each gave a verbal aggrement, and I checked my sources and they are correct. I also heard that Jon Barry will give a verbal aggrement in the next 48-72hrs. Oh crap I can't wait till the 16th when we can actua;;y star signing!

Starters:

GP
Kobe
Devean
Karl
Shaq

Bench:

Fisher/Pargo
Rush/Barry
Luke/Fox
Cook/Mad Dawg
Slava(but I wish we would get rid of him and get back #5)

My sources:

www.hoopshype.com
www.ESPN.com
www.jayski.com
www.shaqfan.net
www.shaq.com :jam2: :patriot:
Shaq Fan

O'Neal to stay in Indiana

Postby LakersFan 2003 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:42 pm

I think we can probably rule out Indiana, as a possible sign and trade destination for Payton, because O'Neal has canceled his visits to Dallas and San Antonio, and will reportedly get a 7-year $120 million offer from Indiana (the max anyone can offer him).

Pacers president Donnie Walsh spent a good portion of his Monday discussing fine points with Arn Tellem, the agent for O'Neal, as sentiment grew around the league that O'Neal was virtually off the market.

Another sign? O'Neal's scheduled visits this week with the San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks have been canceled.

There is no way Indiana can now sign Gary Payton for like $12 million and then trade him off for $12 million in salary on players from Milwaukee. I think now that Miami is off the table, and probably Indiana, we only have to worry about Portland. With Damon Stoudamire being arrested, and given the Blazers history (Patterson, Randolph, Wallace, etc etc), I don't think Payton would go there. This is good news guys.
LakersFan 2003

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:02 pm

Like i said last nite!! The pacers either way will not be able to sign payton!!

Quote:
Indianapolis Star Columnist Bob Kravitz: Chances are, Jermaine O'Neal will stay home. Chances are, he will go to San Antonio Wednesday -- Jason Kidd got the Spurs' sales pitch Sunday and will again today -- and will return home with the renewed belief that this is where he belongs. Chances are, familiarity and the chance to make $30 million more over seven years will keep O'Neal with the Pacers.

Chances are . . .

This, however, is no slam dunk.

Not with O'Neal. Not after his team imploded after the All-Star break. Not after a Game 6 performance that left the stench of unconditional surrender, leaving O'Neal to wonder if he cared a whole lot more than some of his teammates cared. And certainly -- certainly -- not after his stepfather attempted suicide back in March, the kind of life-altering event that can leave a raw 24-year-old with a life's worth of self-knowledge.

When asked after this season about the advantages of staying in Indianapolis and making more money and remaining the team's No. 1 attraction, O'Neal told ESPN The Magazine, "I don't give a damn about numbers."

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/ ... 1-036.html

If either of those happens they will not be able to sign GP. O'Neal leaves GP will not go there!! If O'Neal stays they will not have enough to sign him!! Only a sign and trade will work here! Thats the only thing that i can see!!!!
zetaw00d

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:06 pm

But payton is being a little [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] here!!

Payton is in Las Vegas with his family. Since the news that the Milwaukee Bucks were no longer an option for him, other teams have called. "Too late," his agent, Aaron Goodwin, claimed Monday afternoon. So, the primary known oppositions to the Lakers' offer -- the mid-level exception and a chance to compete for a championship -- are a sign-and-trade possibility with the Portland Trail Blazers and the suddenly flush Miami Heat, though Goodwin continued to position the Lakers as favorites and Payton as all but convinced.

League sources said Monday night that the Bucks and Trail Blazers have discussed a sign-and-trade deal that would send Payton to Portland for guard Jeff McInnis and Arvydas Sabonis, worth about $10 million to Payton.

Or, Payton could sign with Miami for the $9 million-$11 million that the Heat will be under the salary cap, and request that free-agent center Alonzo Mourning be re-signed as a condition of the deal. The Heat, thus far, has balked.

Laker management remained optimistic that Payton would come, according to team sources, and perhaps stand now somewhere between wanting to give Payton his space and wanting to get on with things. More than a week remains in the NBA's negotiating period, and that could mean a lot of reconsidering, as Payton once seemed on the verge of announcing his agreement to become a Laker.

Karl Malone, who has a stake in Payton's decision, is in Arkansas, hoping to be the first of the high-profile, free-agent power forwards — Jermaine O'Neal, P.J. Brown, Juwan Howard and Malone — with a handshake deal. His choice has been the Lakers all along, and Payton's delay appears to have everyone a bit uncomfortable.

General Manager Mitch Kupchak has maintained contact with the agents for Brown and Howard, because teams may not sign players until July 16 and because he has seen close deals die before.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... nba-lakers
zetaw00d

Payton to Portland?

Postby Holy Shaq! on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:17 pm

Not to scare anyone but, with Stoudamire's recent arrest and word that Portland would release him if it could (could be just for effect but you never know) it would seem that Portland would be even more eager to land Payton in a sign and trade deal. Not nice to hear but that's what I'm thinking.

:bang:
Holy Shaq!

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:23 pm

Nah!! He would not want to go the the Jailblazers!!! That team is all screwed up!!! He would have not chance in winning a ring there!! So im not scared of portland landing payton!!!
zetaw00d

Postby Holy Shaq! on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:25 pm

Yep, good call zeta....just don't want to get my hopes up too high.
Holy Shaq!

Postby matman2k3 on Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:16 pm

In response to me not liking Malone:

Anonymous wrote:then you must not like the lakers

that is a stupid comment. I have to like every player on the lakers just because they are on the lakers? I hear everyone on this board complain "get rid of this guy", "trade horry", blah blah blah.

I don't plan on waiting until Malone takes 40 seconds to shoot and miss a free throw at the end of the game to lose it for the lakers to state that I don't like him. To me, having Malone on the lakers would be like having Barry Bonds on the Dodgers...stupid.
I own the red button.
matman2k3

stupid!?

Postby LakersFan2003 on Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:12 pm

matman2k3 wrote:In response to me not liking Malone:

that is a stupid comment. I have to like every player on the lakers just because they are on the lakers? I hear everyone on this board complain "get rid of this guy", "trade horry", blah blah blah.

I don't plan on waiting until Malone takes 40 seconds to shoot and miss a free throw at the end of the game to lose it for the lakers to state that I don't like him. To me, having Malone on the lakers would be like having Barry Bonds on the Dodgers...stupid.

Bottom line. A true Lakers fan would want what's best for the Lakers team. If signing Karl Malone is the best for the Lakers, then why is it stupid? I'll bet the Dodgers would take Barry Bonds for $1.5million in a heartbeat.
LakersFan2003

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:14 pm

YEAP...and that's what we need, is a PF, and one like Malone is what's best for us. Even though he's aging, he's still the best FA PF we could possibly get. And they both want a championship, and they know their best shot at that ring is here with the Lakers! :man1:
LakersGyrl2003

Re: stupid!?

Postby LakersFan2003 on Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:17 pm

LakersFan2003 wrote:
matman2k3 wrote:In response to me not liking Malone:

Bottom line. A true Lakers fan would want what's best for the Lakers team. If signing Karl Malone is the best for the Lakers, then why is it stupid? I'll bet the Dodgers would take Barry Bonds for $1.5million in a heartbeat.

How can you get much better than getting a 2-time MVP, 14-time all Star, 51% CAREER FG%, for $1.5million? That is damn good. And if he is making 51% of his shots, he can take as much time as he needs. And we all know he can't take 40 seconds to shoot the ball... they added a shot clock (24 secs) years ago buddy.
LakersFan2003

Postby la21834 on Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:46 pm

that is correct
la21834

Postby matman2k3 on Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:50 pm

I never said malone sucks or wouldn't bring anything to the lakers.

I said I don't like him.

Basically I look at it this way, malone is giving up. All he wants is a championship so he is willing to take little money to go to the lakers - an all star team. That is cool because he is forgoing money to play the game - making him someone who wants to play and win, rather than someone who wants fame and fortune.

For someone to say I must not like the lakers because I don't like someone they sign is ridiculous. I don't have to like every player on the team to be a good fan.

If I do have to like every player then I'm not a laker fan. I'll just start rooting for some other team.
I own the red button.
matman2k3

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion