Payton & Malone according to credible sources

Payton & Malone according to credible sources

Postby crucifido on Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:56 pm

The Salt Lake Tribune (Utah's leading newspaper) and Jack Haley have both reported today that Payton will sign L.A.!!!!

Apparently Gary is going over the move to L.A. with his family and friends today making sure that everything will be cool with all of 'em. Karl Malone is all but guaranteed and just waiting in the wings.

David Aldridge has also reported that Jon Barry is the most likely free agent shooting guard acquisition for the Lakers due to his previous experience with the triangle and his harder-nosed/better defense than Piatkowski.

Man, I have never been so freakin' excited regarding free agent acquisitions in 20 years of being a Laker/basketball fan. Along with the Kobe and Shaq summer, this could wind up being the most amazing off season in Laker history.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

link!!!

Postby husker4thelakers on Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:55 pm

Gimme a link! I want to see this for myself! I want to officially start to hope for this. Talk about Phil having to manage some egos!! Lets do this and erase the visions of Duncan holding the trophy from my mind forever, and replace it with the shocked look of Duncan gettin' bounced from the playoffs like we saw the three years before that!!!!
husker4thelakers

Postby thelakeshow on Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:00 pm

well now im pump i really like karl and gary but add barry and the lakers not only have the best starters but mabey even the best back ups and phill the lakes are now the best team in the NBA and for the next 2 or 3 years they will get even more rings
thelakeshow

Postby thelakeshow on Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:05 pm

ooo and lets say they get all 3 then what eles do they have to give money wise
thelakeshow

Postby Roscoe on Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:19 pm

Just minimum contracts...
Last edited by Roscoe on Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Postby la21834 on Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:33 pm

I have checked the tribune and I see nothing of the subject
la21834

Postby matman2k3 on Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:12 pm

I hate karl malone. If he goes to the lakers, I will be very disappointed.
matman2k3

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:17 pm

then you must not like the lakers

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:14 pm

Hey, I never liked Malone when he was with Utah either. but u gotta look at it from a different perspective than just from ur hate for him. He's a great player, he's large, and he's willing to take less money to play for a championship team. The Lakers are in need of a PF, and he's suitable for us.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:06 pm

Dont forget how Phil Jackson sometimes never play an all star. Mitch Richmound only average 4 points a game. Chances are he may not even give the vet a lot of playing time. He may used the rookies and the second year players.

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:18 pm

Mitch Richmond wasn't playing nearly as good of ball is Malone is right now...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby pltan on Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:47 pm

The Mitch - Mailman comparison isn't even a close one.

I can't find any evidence of this article on the Salt Lake tribune's site.
pltan

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:53 pm

nether can I

Postby Mookie on Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:20 pm

OMG MALONE PAYTON AND BARRY!!!
OK are you just messing with us??
That would be wicked nice!!
Hey Duncan you better hold on to that trophy cause that will be ur last one!!!!!!

The orther thing we need to do is resign Kobe, then everything will be perfect, and about Kobes sexual thingy dont even worry people its all cool.
Mookie

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:03 pm

Ur complaining about Richmond not playin?? Hell that year we played all the guards we needed. We played Shaw, Fisher and even rotated Kobe in there too. We are in desperate need of a PF, and well Malone fits that spot for us.
LakersGyrl2003

link to the source please...can't find it

Postby Lakerdynasty on Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:48 pm

That sounds like a very good sign, but where is that all coming from? Where or what is your source? What link if you may? All this kobe baloney (if I spelled that right) is taking up the story. That is ironic for free agent happen for the lakers and coincidentally, kobe news shocker come on...
Lakerdynasty

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:10 am

By David Aldridge
Special to ESPN.com

Free-agent guard Gary Payton is expected to decide Tuesday whether he will accept the Lakers' mid-level exception, according to a source.

The Lakers remain Payton's top choice, although the Miami Heat remain a possibility -- but only if the Heat give Payton all of their available room under the salary cap --around $11 million for next season. In addition, Payton would only sign with the Heat if he had assurances that Miami also would re-sign free-agent center Alonzo Mourning.

The source also indicated that the Indiana Pacers are trying to put together a sign-and-trade offer to Milwaukee, Payton's current team.

Portland also is looking to put together a sign-and-trade offer to Milwaukee, believed to be center Arvydas Sabonis and guard Jeff McInnis. Sabonis, who is not expected to return to the NBA next season, would be waived by Milwaukee under that scenario.

If Payton opts to go to the Lakers, free-agent forward Karl Malone likely will join him there. If Payton doesn't, Malone likely will consider accepting an offer from the San Antonio Spurs.

Sounds like the Lakers are in the running!!! Lets go GP and Karl!!!!
Miami is not goin to be able to sign Mourning!!! Mourning wants money because he knows he cant play anymore and Miami knows that also. So even that Miami can sign him to the max, they will not!!!!
zetaw00d

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:22 am

By Chris Perkins, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 7, 2003

Alonzo Mourning said Sunday he's "disappointed" the Heat hasn't made him a contract offer.

"It's very disappointing to me, but at the same time I understand," Mourning said. "It doesn't surprise me."

Mourning made his comments on Jim Berry's SportsWrap on CBS in Miami.

Mourning became a free agent June 30, and teams have been able to talk with players since Tuesday. Teams can't sign free agents until July 16.

Mourning, 33, has met with at least two teams, Dallas and Denver.

The Nuggets are expected to have about $17 million while Dallas only has its $4.9 million exception.

The Heat has $11 million, but the $4 million it earned because Anthony Carter did not renew his contract is expected to attract lots of free-agent attention.

Mourning missed all but 13 games three years ago because of a kidney ailment, made the All-Star team two years ago, and then missed last season.

He said his preference is to play for the Heat.

"I've said this before, my heart is here in Miami," he said. "This is where I want to play, but unfortunately the Heat haven't given me an offer yet."

Mourning said he suspects the Heat wants to shop around before making him an offer, and he said he understands that's the business side of the NBA.

"But to tell you the truth I'm not in position to wait around," he said. "The longer I wait the less chance people are going to have that room for me, so I've got to make some decisions."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/con ... f1012.html

Here it is!! Why Zo wont be signed with the Heat!!! So everyone welcome GP and Malone to the Lakers!!!! :jam2:
zetaw00d

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:22 am

http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1134

Thanx for that, but it's already been posted... the link is above.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:31 am

sorry i dont read every frickin post on this board!!! :freak2:
zetaw00d

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:33 am

lol!! U should stay ahead of tha game! :jam2:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:34 am

Nah!! Too many people bs about rumors and other [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]!!! I dont really like reading too much [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] unless its entertainting!!
zetaw00d

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:37 am

I feel ya on that..... But I only read the rumors where there's links involved.. As long as they have a credible source then I'd take their thoughts and insights into perspective. :jam2:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:38 am

LakersGyrl2003 wrote:http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1134

Thanx for that, but it's already been posted... the link is above.

Not the one for Zo!!!

The Lakers remain Payton's top choice, although the Miami Heat remain a possibility -- but only if the Heat give Payton all of their available room under the salary cap --around $11 million for next season. In addition, Payton would only sign with the Heat if he had assurances that Miami also would re-sign free-agent center Alonzo Mourning.

And the Heat will not sign Zo from the sound of this article!!! SO GP and Karl are goin to be lakers!! What numbers would they wear!??
Last edited by zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
zetaw00d

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:46 am

Man, i am soo tired, but I had to address you zeta before I went to bed. That's tyte that you found that Zo piece, so the Heat are pretty much eliminated from the GP bid. But what about Portland. If there is any team that i'm afraid we will lose GP to, it has to be Portland and to some what Indiana. Is there anything out there that dismisses Portland from the GP sweepstakes? If so, I would like to know ASAP...if not...good nite y'all
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion