Pete Carril On How Will Princeton Offense Works for Lakers

Pete Carril On How Will Princeton Offense Works for Lakers

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:07 pm

First things first, Pete Carril says, the Princeton offense doesn't always work.

Legendary as it may be, the ball-sharing, backdoor-cutting, brilliant and beautiful basketball system that he made so famous throughout his Hall of Fame coaching career has failed before. In fact, that's why Carril was so tickled when Eddie Jordan called three weeks ago to inform his old mentor that he was finalizing a deal to join the Lakers as an assistant coach.

Jordan, whom Carril coached with in Sacramento in the late 1990s, has been out of work since April 2010, when he was fired after one season as the 76ers head coach. The Sixers experience didn't go nearly as well as Jordan's previous stints with New Jersey (NBA Finals appearances in 2002 and 2003, while an assistant under Byron Scott) and Washington (four playoff appearances in his five full seasons as head coach), as
Philadelphia's roster was a mismatch for the Princeton system. A 27-55 record sent Jordan on his way. Yet Carril, who is now retired after working with the Kings as a consultant through 2011, is optimistic that his protégé's latest endeavor will go far better than his last one.

"I was so happy when he called me because I blamed myself for his getting fired in Philly," the 82-year-old Carril said in a long chat with SI.com. "I told him he can call me anytime he wants."

With the Princeton offense set to become the Lakers' new calling card, so long as Jordan's hiring is formalized as expected next week, the man known as "Coachie" in NBA circles may need to add a few phone lines. There will certainly be no shortage of questions coming his way.

Newly acquired center Dwight Howard spent years in Orlando feeling underutilized when he wasn't surrounded by future Hall of Famers; will he buy into a selfless style while surrounded by stars? Point guard Steve Nash isn't used to playing alongside a ball-dominant guard like Kobe Bryant; how will an adjustment affect his game? Bryant has already endorsed the Princeton system as a long-lost cousin to the Triangle offense that left with Phil Jackson in 2011; will he take the necessary steps to improve a Lakers' offense that ranked 10th-most efficient in the league last season?

Carril doesn't know those answers, but he is a firm believer that the Princeton offense could help turn the Lakers into title contenders again. And with training camp still a month away, one of the game's most innovative minds was kind enough to share his perspective on how it all might work -- or not work -- for Kobe and Co. in 2012-13.

SI.com: So Coachie, how do you see the Princeton offense fitting in L.A.?

Carril: I imagine that if the [Lakers] guys want to do it, and [the coaches] can convince them that it'd better for them, I think they'll do it. They have the right ingredients, all the passers. They have really good passers there. The only one I don't really know much about as a passer is Howard. But [Pau] Gasol can pass and he can shoot, and of course Bryant and Nash can shoot, and whatever they call him now [Metta World Peace], I know he can pass. It all depends on Howard, and then what kind of bench they have.

I know Jodie Meeks is a shooter. He makes shots. And Antawn Jamison is not a shooter, but he can play. Eddie knows all about him from having coached him in Washington.

Generally speaking, that offense doesn't work when two things are prevalent. One is when they treat it like a robotic thing. And the other is when they don't want to do it.

SI.com: We'll touch on the Lakers more soon, but can you tell me about the origins of the Princeton offense?

Carril: No one has ever taken my word for it, but half of that offense -- not half, but certain ingredients in that offense -- come from an old Boston Celtics play which we used to just call 'low post play.' It was a pass down to center, to [Bill] Russell, and he'd throw it to a forward -- which could've been Paul Silas, could've been Tom Sanders, could've been [Jim] Luscatoff, Willie Nauls -- any one of those guys that they had. They'd throw it down to him and set a screen away from the ball at about the elbow, and now first was [Bill] Sharman, then comes Sam Jones, then comes [Frank] Ramsey, a whole [line] of guys would just come off that screen and shoot a 15-foot jumper. Of course the one distinction would be that Sam Jones, he banked them all. That's part of it.

Then the Knicks during their heyday, they had a situation where they had an exchange along the side between the guard and the forward. [Forward Bill] Bradley would set a pick for [the guard], and then they would switch so Bradley would have the outside shot and [the guard] would go inside and take a fadeaway. We used to call that 'Knick.' But we added to it, because my guys couldn't make those shots as consistently as those guys did.

And then we had dribble handoffs. We didn't pick much to the ball, although, if I had to do it now, I certainly would put that in. We only would set a pick for the ball when the center for the other team didn't show [defensively]. He wouldn't show, and the guy would screen for the ball and come off and get free shots. But nowadays that [center] shows too hard, and the little guards are so clever they're splitting that pick. It's a very effective play, pick and roll.

SI.com: Will the Princeton offense work for the Lakers?

Carril: What I told Eddie is that it might work for this team for several reasons. One is that you're going to get easy shots for Kobe Bryant. And over the last several years, I've seen where his shots have become harder and harder to get. He's getting older and more tired, so I'd like to see whether they can get him some easy shots. He's going to make them.

But you have to set picks to do that, whether you set a pick with Gasol or whoever it is, you're going to get a free shot and they're going to find out -- the way I did -- that the guy who sets the pick, after a while, is going to be more open than the guy that he set the pick for. They've got shooters, they've got passers, so they can run that. Whether they want to do it? I think Eddie can show them how to do it so it's not robotic, and it could be effective.

SI.com: What exactly do you mean by 'robotic'?

Carril: You call the play; call 'low post play.' But the way we did it [at Princeton], you ran the low post play without calling it a play. You brought the ball up the court, then you saw that the forward or the wing guy was wide open, so throw him the ball. Then, after you threw him the ball, you cut. Then you looked for the center down in the post, and he wasn't there. He was at the elbow, so you ran something there. It was based on what you're able to see. Then it becomes especially hard to guard. You've got to have shooters, but you're going to get free shots.

Backdoor became a very important play, because if they would overplay you then you go backdoor. And because my teams couldn't shoot as well as the pro teams, I had to develop the next step: If we couldn't hit shots, what did we do? If that didn't work, what did we do? It was just one continuous motion of weaves to see what was available. Each guy has to give a little bit, each guy has to play a little bit more without the ball, and they have to be happy with it.

Dwight Howard will need to adopt a more pass-friendly mentality in order to thrive in the Princeton offense.

SI.com: How important do you feel Howard's role will be in this whole experiment? He's not exactly known for his passing, so could that limit what the Lakers can do?

Carril: Well, a little bit. I remember when Eddie was with the Nets, their center [Jason Collins] didn't score and didn't pass. So they had the guy from Denver [Kenyon Martin]; they would throw it into him and the guy who would guard him would sag off so much that he couldn't throw it into the post and they had to run something else. But Eddie devised a way so that the majority of passes were thrown by Jason Kidd, so it became effective.

Eddie was always clever that way. When I worked with him in Sacramento, he always had a good feel for the game. That's why I guess he was such a good [player]. He stole a lot of balls and knew how to play. So he got it to work [in New Jersey], then he got it to work in Washington, too. It's good when your center can pass the ball. At first you'll have to prove it to him, but after a while you'll see that the more he passes, the more he's going to score.

SI.com: How do you envision Kobe's role? Last year, he averaged 23 shots a game and worked pretty hard for his attempts.

Carril: Well, if he sees it the way I see it, and the way Eddie sees it, he's going to take less shots and make more of them. And he's going to pass more, which he's very good at. And the same is true of Nash. Nash is not always going to have the ball in his hands, but because he's such a good ball-handler and so is Kobe, you don't have to worry about who's going to bring up the ball. They've got the personnel where there's an awful lot you can do with that team.

SI.com: How about World Peace? You saw him up close while you were with the Kings, but I think people would be surprised to hear how highly you think of his passing.

Carril: Oh yeah, he can throw any kind of a pass. And if he practices hard, he'll make enough threes that they'll have to honor that shot and he can drive.

SI.com: So all in all, it sounds like you think this can work. But could the Princeton offense bring the Lakers back to their Triangle roots?

Carril: I remember when I made [an instructional] video of [the Princeton system], and we're in the playoffs [Kings vs. Lakers in the early 2000s] and the guy who [produced] the video said the Lakers ordered three copies. This was when we played the Lakers in the playoffs. And actually, there's not much difference between the Triangle offense and that offense -- except that our offense is a little more creative. What's the Triangle offense? The idea is to pass the ball. And Phil Jackson had a thing they'd call four-pass, where you had to pass the ball four times before you shot it. It was very effective. They deviated from it when [Jackson] was with [Michael] Jordan. He did things on his own and he was good at it, but he liked the offense too because it gets you to share the ball and, in general, takes a lot of the tension out of the game. But they have to like it, and they have to see how to make the game easier.

SI.com: I see the similarities. But what are the main differences between the Triangle and the Princeton offenses?

Carril: I think [the Princeton offense] is more creative, but I would never argue that. Gasol is going to turn out to be a three-point shooter. And if you want that to be effective, then he's got to make them. He had to do the same thing with Bynum, and now he's got this guy [Howard]. It's going to be pretty good. And whatever they need, I know that Eddie will straighten it out.

I told Eddie, 'Don't insist on doing it. If you have resistance [from players] to what you're doing, then work around what they want to do, because a good coach builds a team around the things that his guys can do.'

SI.com: Can you elaborate on Howard's place in this equation? What if he doesn't fit into the system?

Carril: Well then it's like with the Nets and what happened there, when their center didn't contribute the assists or scoring that they needed but Eddie devised some way to get it done. They'll be thinking about that too. But [Howard] is an important rebounder. That's going to be something that he has with L.A. that he didn't have with New Jersey. But there's stuff there that Eddie's going to have to do. And then, you don't have to keep Dwight as he is [as a player]. There's no such thing as keeping him there. Who knows? With coaching and teaching and understanding of what this can do, he might turn out to be better than he is now. He should be. If he takes instruction and he listens, and of course he's playing with better players now too. He's got two Hall of Fame players for sure on that team at guard, so they're going to have a profound influence on him. So when they get him the ball, and he's in a position to pass as opposed to score, you're going to hit Steve Nash for a three-point shot. That thing is going in. And that's true with Kobe.

SI.com: Howard comes in with one year left on his contract, and I think a lot of people assume he's going to want to the ball if he's going to stick around. Isn't that a pretty tough dynamic to balance with this new system?

Carril: I definitely agree with that. On the other hand, if he's the kind of guy who's happy about winning, then that's it. That's everything. That ought to change that. If they win, and he's not happy, well then to thine own self be true. That's not me saying that. That's Shakespeare, I believe.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z259E8tqkz
Kobe8Fan

Re: Pete Carril On How Will Princeton Offense Works for Lakers

Postby dj vitus on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:50 pm

Pretty cool article; I think I learned more about the Princeton O here than in the other thread.

But... Gasol shooting 3s??? :man3:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 pm

dj vitus wrote:Pretty cool article; I think I learned more about the Princeton O here than in the other thread.

you took the words right out of my mouth. Great read but as soon as I read Gasol will be shooting 3's I had to get up and get a glass of water
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:02 pm

Pau better not be shooting 3's on a regular basis or I'll be beside myself.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Murdock on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:46 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:
dj vitus wrote:Pretty cool article; I think I learned more about the Princeton O here than in the other thread.

you took the words right out of my mouth. Great read but as soon as I read Gasol will be shooting 3's I had to get up and get a glass of water

I though you knew that ... if you look at all youtube vids ... 4 usually plays on perimeter ... but I think they will adjust it: one for kobe to get his post shots, two because pau is 7feet and not 6"9 like jamison and other dudes that used princeton, and three becuase of nash and pick and roll
Murdock

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:20 am

Murdock wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:

I though you knew that ... if you look at all youtube vids ... 4 usually plays on perimeter ... but I think they will adjust it: one for kobe to get his post shots, two because pau is 7feet and not 6"9 like jamison and other dudes that used princeton, and three becuase of nash and pick and roll

Sure, but when I watched those videos and visualized Pau in those spots I don't actually expect him to hover around that 3 point line. He knows his limits and range, just hope he doesn't leak out too far away from his comfort zones
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:46 am

TLDR version?
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby karacha on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:37 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:TLDR version?

Princeton good. Creative offense. Has to be fluid. Not robotic. Kobe needs easy shots. Take less, make more. Gasol shoots the 3. Everyone has to shoot. And pass. Metta can pass. But, how about Dwight? Will he be able to fit?

Yeah, I think that's about it. :man12:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:53 am

Gasol doesn't have to shoot 100 threes. He's going to have to hit jumpers for sure though. Gasol shot 27 threes last year, and that was a career high (almost twice as many as any other season). Even if that number doubles, it's still not a bunch. It's not even one per game.

Wasn't the big fear that Gasol shooting threes means he's not rebounding? Well, we have Howard now, who is a bit more of a beast on the boards. And Gasol at the arc means some space to operate for Howard.

I don't THINK it's a problem, honestly.

BTW, great read.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:21 am

^^^
My only gripe with him shooting the 3's is with the second unit. I think I had a conversation with Roo (?) last year about how it was absurd that Jordan Hill was getting the ball in the post, while Pau was hanging out around the 3 point line.

When it's time for him to get his butt in the post and work (i.e. Howard not in the game), he needs to get his butt in the post and do some work. I don't care if it was a coaching thing or Pau just falling in love with the 3, but when the team needs someone in the post, Pau Gasol, not Jordan Hill, better be ready to roll.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:33 am

The title made my eyes bleed.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby therealdeal on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:39 am

I'm not sure why you guys are surprised about Gasol at the 3 point line. That's part of the spacing that the Princeton provides. If it makes you feel better, I think he can still be an effective spacer from 16 feet and out if he's in the right spot.

For instance, when the Princeton runs the post set, you have 3 guys on the weakside 3 point line, the PG brings the ball up, and the C is in the low post. Have Gasol in the weak corner and have Artest next to him. Artest sets a screen for Gasol, Gasol comes up to the high post still shaded weak side. Kobe cuts all the way through to the strong side corner (screened by Artest), Nash hits Gasol, Gasol either takes the jumper or lobs to Howard when Howard's man helps.

It's going to be fine. This team's offensive power is so unique and so forceful that it is almost difficult to put a team out there that can't score.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFan1980 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:10 am

It's similar to the triangle.
LakerFan1980

Postby Murdock on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:31 am

LakerFan1980 wrote:It's similar to the triangle.

triangle was two post offense basically or can be adjusted to very easily... princeton is mainly one post offense and 4 players on perimeter ...
Murdock

Postby jimbo327 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:03 am

Well, the old saying is: How many college championships did Princeton win?

I think the Princeton offense is decent. Anything is better than Brown's iso jungle ball we were running last year. I say we just run and gun, and then pick and roll all day long.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby Murdock on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:29 am

Run and Gun with Kobe and Pau? Are you kidding me ... they would be gassed by the end of 2 quarter
Murdock

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:23 am

Well, the point of the success of the Princeton offense wasn't in the number of championships they won, but in the fact that a bunch of white guys with no real NBA potential could get into the NCAA tourney. Everyone knew that no offense, no matter how great, would turn 5 no-talent Princeton nerds into NCAA champs. But it was good enough to make them into a decent team.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby trodgers on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 am

jimbo327 wrote:Well, the old saying is: How many college championships did Princeton win?

I think the Princeton offense is decent. Anything is better than Brown's iso jungle ball we were running last year. I say we just run and gun, and then pick and roll all day long.

I know you weren't EXACTLY dissing Princeton, but they've been pretty effective in basketball.

Carril's numbers speak for themselves:
514-261 at Princeton
310-96 in the conference
13 conference championships in 29 years
12 NCAA appearances
2 NIT appearances (one championship)

...at Princeton. Not Florida. Not even UCLA. Princeton.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby jimbo327 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:34 am

I think it is a great offense if you team is full of scrubs. But when you have arguably the top 4 players are their positions, I don't think Princeton offense is necessary. It minimizes the strength of our HOF players. I want the ball in Nash's hands at all times, and running the pick and roll to take advantage of his great decision making. If our 2nd unit is in there, hell yeah, I want the Princeton offense all day long because none of them have a clue on how to get a good shot.

But even if we run the Princeton offense all the time, I'm fine with it, but we better run it correctly. What I don't like is that our Head Coach doesn't know jack about this offense. And who is going to draw up plays out of time outs? Last year, Brown had no clue, not like he ever did even in Cleveland. But if we are going to let Kobe or another play suggest plays to run, we are in deep trouble because respect goes out the door for a coach. I don't like the idea that Brown doesn't know the offense we are supposedly going to run, have the tendency to let others draw up critical plays during a game, and jumps for system to system. Last year, it was supposedly Pop's Spurs offense, now it's Princeton, next what? Going back to triangle or some other thing he doesn't know too much about.

My only hope now is that our 4 HOF players will just be good enough to overcome Brown's offensive (lack thereof) systems. Like running our starters into the ground during the regular season. Then on the most critical games, sit Kobe in the 4th quarter until the other team comes back while I'm watching Blake trying to guard Russell Westbrook (or insert any other guard)...and getting lit up like a Christmas tree in the playoffs.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby trodgers on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:44 pm

^ If you want the ball in Nash's hands at all times, trade Kobe. He doesn't work that way.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:59 pm

I'll be happy if Nash runs the offense 95% of the time that he's on the floor, and when he's not on the floor it's the Princeton offense. Nash is smarter than Kobe, and deserves the reigns to the offense. Kobe will recognize this when he plays with him, and will defer enough.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby jimbo327 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:33 pm

Well, Nash is the PG, and he will bring the ball up the court. If he doesn't pass to Kobe, there is nothing Kobe can do about it. It's not some scrub he can just run out of town. And if Kobe hasn't realized yet, he's already expendable with D12 here.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby trodgers on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 am

no
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:24 pm

trodgers wrote:no
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:05 pm

jimbo327 wrote:My only hope now is that our 4 HOF players will just be good enough to overcome Brown's offensive (lack thereof) systems. Like running our starters into the ground during the regular season. Then on the most critical games, sit Kobe in the 4th quarter until the other team comes back while I'm watching Blake trying to guard Russell Westbrook (or insert any other guard)...and getting lit up like a Christmas tree in the playoffs.

Yeah he's our single biggest question mark and he's the head coach..... bleep!
LTLakerFan

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion