Phil Jackson on Am570 with D Patrick.. RIGHT NOW

Postby fijidaddy on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:56 pm

"Center is a very tough position to play." - Kareem Abdul Jabaar.

fijidaddy

Postby knm131 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:23 pm

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:Thanks for the recap.

I'm one of the few that thinks the team is pretty good. Not championship good, but better than 1st round good.

The injuries jacked us up last year. Not so much for the actual games missed, which hurt, but more because it's so hard to establish chemistry. And considering the Triangle relies very very heavily on chemistry and practice,... well, there wasn't much hope.

Barring major injuries, I see big improvements this year.

Having Fisher is going to help. I mean, we still don't have any defense at the 1, but now we have another player that knows the offense like the back of his hand. All those times Smush looked lost on offense is going to change. That has to account for something.

Neither does San Antonio (Tony Parker), Dallas (Jason Terry) or DID the Heat (Jason Williams).

If we can play some good team D, we don't need a Tony Parker stopper (not that there is one, really).
knm131

Postby Massacre on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:25 pm

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
crucifido wrote:Positivity - I love it.

Can't wait for the season to start.

It will be nice to see the ball go up again, but I do grow weary of the injury excuse. Did it hurt us? Yeah, but is there someone on this board that actually thinks we were 2nd or 3rd round material without the injuries?

Phoenix, Dallas, Spurs and Jazz were all better than us. Rockets came on at the end.

2nd round? Absolutely. If we had the right match-up, we could make the second round.

Exactly. Match-ups is the key. In 2006 I fully beleived that the team we had was going to the Western Conference Finals after Game 4 against the Suns, and the Clippers series win over Denver. Could we have beaten the Clippers? Definitley.

By the way, thanks to those who gave us a recap. Phil seems positive and has a good outlook on the upcoming year, much like myself. As long as we can stay healthy, we can make some noise.
Massacre
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Massacre on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:29 pm

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:Thanks for the recap.

I'm one of the few that thinks the team is pretty good. Not championship good, but better than 1st round good.

The injuries jacked us up last year. Not so much for the actual games missed, which hurt, but more because it's so hard to establish chemistry. And considering the Triangle relies very very heavily on chemistry and practice,... well, there wasn't much hope.

Barring major injuries, I see big improvements this year.

Having Fisher is going to help. I mean, we still don't have any defense at the 1, but now we have another player that knows the offense like the back of his hand. All those times Smush looked lost on offense is going to change. That has to account for something.

It does and it will. Fisher brings the veteran leadership and experience. Those who beleive his is not better than Smush aren't wrong, but in terms of impact on a team, he blows him out of the water. Having Fisher here is going to help in so many ways. As a young team we ALWAYS had problems closing out games, his expereince is going to help us in that area, along with beating lowly teams like New York ( at least last season) and Charlotte - both of which swept us. I didn't mention two of those losses we're highly contested games decided late in the final period, or OT.
Massacre
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Kobe's Empire on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:48 pm

CJ wrote:phil is being extremely positive.. i like it :jam2: :jam2:

lol, i'm glad he's positive....

remember 2 seasons ago or was it last year, i don't remember where he said he expected the Lakers to be an 8th seed and not even that good.
Kobe's Empire

Postby UpsandDowns on Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:05 am

I'm sick of the injury excuse...our team healthy is still not good enough for a championship in the western conference...eastern definitely...but c'mon.
"So I thought if I put the toaster in the freezer, we could make Poptartsicles."
UpsandDowns

Postby hZm on Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:34 am

Interview is up on TLN. Just click the play button...

http://thelakersnation.com/blog/?p=1091
hZm

Postby Laker Jam on Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:44 pm

lilkhmerkid4u wrote:I'm confused. So does Phil think that Marion improves the team?

I think the point PHil was making that if they make a trade like that, it has to CLEARLY make us better. No point in losing the continuity of guys who already know how to play in this system, if it isn't going to really propel us forward. In a sense, I understand (though I would have pulled the trigger for Marion), because if the coaching staff no longer has to harp on how to run the offense since guys now have it down, they can focus more on the defensive end of the court. Now I know some of you will now pipe up with the standard answer that we lack quality defenders at each position, but let me remind you that Cleveland does not have any quality lock down defenders (Snow has clearly lost a step), but that didn't stop them from being a top 3 defensive team last year - which they achieved by playing excellent team defense in unison with each other.

Being able to practice that may not move us up to top 3, but it WILL improve us on that end of the court, and we do have athletes on this roster with defensive talent. We should be better.
Laker Jam

Postby LkrsOvrMia on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:54 pm

SammyG wrote:Thanks for the recap man, looking for a big year for the Lakers baby.
"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."
LkrsOvrMia

Location: "Sittin' on top of the world with my legs hanging free." -Dave Matthews

Postby LkrsOvrMia on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:55 pm

UpsandDowns wrote:I'm sick of the injury excuse.

Funny coming from a guy who refers to himself as "UpsandDowns."
"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."
LkrsOvrMia

Location: "Sittin' on top of the world with my legs hanging free." -Dave Matthews

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion