Phil Jackson interview about Lakers/Dwight/Zone D/Post Ups

Re: Phil Jackson interview about Lakers/Dwight/Zone D/Post Ups

Postby bystander on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:49 pm

therealdeal wrote:
bystander wrote:
Jackson: Well, what is the problem? We won two championships that way [with two big men]. Pau is one of the best big men in the game. I mean, Pau Gasol is going to be in the Hall of Fame.

flap, flap, flap

flap? I don't get it.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=le ... 0&bih=1113
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Didn't help at all. You could just explain it instead of linking me to Google.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakeshow24 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:02 pm

I don't know what flap flap flap means either and I'd like a quick explanation rather than a link too. I'm using my smartphone right now so opening another window is annoying right now.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Wow some heavy hitters are coming out now.

Out of respect for Jerry, they hit the mute button, but all of a sudden you got Woj reporting some unpleasantries towards Jimmy and you have Phil pretty much stating how the present system isn't utilizing its personnel well. And then you have Magic (who was never really tight-lipped) mentioning Jerry and Jeanie, but not once says JImmy's name.

This no longer is a conspiracy theory...the writing is on the wall: if Jimmy is allowed free reign and isn't checked by Jeanie, Mitch and his father's legacy, the Lakers and us fans are in for a whole lot of hurt..
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:16 pm

bystander wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
bystander wrote:
Jackson: Well, what is the problem? We won two championships that way [with two big men]. Pau is one of the best big men in the game. I mean, Pau Gasol is going to be in the Hall of Fame.

flap, flap, flap

flap? I don't get it.

I've never seen "flap" used in this instance, but I have seen "fap" used, cultural differences? :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Wow some heavy hitters are coming out now.

Out of respect for Jerry, they hit the mute button, but all of a sudden you got Woj reporting some unpleasantries towards Jimmy and you have Phil pretty much stating how the present system isn't utilizing its personnel well. And then you have Magic (who was never really tight-lipped) mentioning Jerry and Jeanie, but not once says JImmy's name.

This no longer is a conspiracy theory...the writing is on the wall: if Jimmy is allowed free reign and isn't checked by Jeanie, Mitch and his father's legacy, the Lakers and us fans are in for a whole lot of hurt..

And if we need any more proof of this if we're going to talk Jim

Beto Duran ‏@DuranSports

D’Antoni said he never spoke or met Dr. Buss. When hired spoke with Jim Buss and Kupchak

Mark Medina ‏@MedinaLakersNBA

Mike D'Antoni said he hadn't spoken to Dr. Buss after being hired

Reeeeally doesn't sound to me like Jerry had a lot of input in the 'Antoni hire, a man very sick for a year and a half, dying, from all reports staying out of the basketball decision for a while now. Really does seem to me like that the 'Antoni hire was mostly, if not all Jim as many suspected, and Jerry's name was thrown in to deflect criticism. I just can't see any logical reason to pass on Phil, only personal ones, and the only one with personal issues with Phil is Jim. And I know what Mitch said today too about Jerry being very involved in the coaching change, but I still have a very hard time believing he was the biggest factor in 'Antoni being hired.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:31 pm

^I can see Jerry being involved intimately with the decision, IMO. We've had two coaches who have had tremendous success; Pat Riley and Phil Jackson. In between that time, the coaching hires haven't been great. We even had to bring Phil back a 2nd time. He should here right now, but I digress...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:32 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Kupchak said Jerry Buss' Lakers involvement decreased in Dec/Jan: "He was very involved with the decision to change coaches."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:57 pm

All I recall was Jim interview with Mase/Ireland didn't sound like Jerry made the decision, it sounded more like Jerry supported the decision but did not directly choose Antoni. Jim specificially said he had doubts once he choose Antoni but it was Dr. Buss who told him to go with his gut.
khmrP

Postby charvin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:02 pm

It will depend on what the "issues" are in this quote
"Jeanie will be listed as the team's governor, a position that gives her the power to voice the Lakers' vote on issues at owners' meetings. She has been the team's alternate governor for several years but now takes her father's title. On paper, it makes her the most powerful of the heirs."

If the issues are business and not basketball related, then we may be very well in for a lot of hurt.

http://www.foxsportswest.com/02/18/13/Lakers-expected-to-remain-with-the-Buss-/msn_landing.html?blockID=866123&feedID=3657

Vasashi17 wrote:Wow some heavy hitters are coming out now.

charvin

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Weezy wrote:
bystander wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
bystander wrote:

flap, flap, flap

flap? I don't get it.

I've never seen "flap" used in this instance, but I have seen "fap" used, cultural differences? :man10:

I guess so...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:08 pm

phil replacing jim buss would be a dream come true. oh and then he can replace dan tony on the sidelines too. if phil wants complete control of the team, give him that and more. that's where jim bob messed up and couldn't swallow his pride
432J

Postby jlkr on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:09 pm

Jerry wanted the return of Showtime. Hence with Nash in the fold, MDA looked good by that criteria. But there are two problems with Showtime:

(1), The original Showtime Lakers had Kareem when they were corralled into the half court game. Today's Lakers have a guy who will never make anyone forget Shaq or Kareem offensively, heck he's still a shell of what he used to be.

(2), The rules have changed: it's a point guard and wing man league now. Phil noted that the big men can be double teamed practically without limit and that has changed the ability to throw it in the post. So teams need more athleticism and better shooting to make it work, something today's Lakers don't really have.

Woulda been nice to have Phil back. But seriously this cannot be the answer every time a Lakers head coach flounders. Plus it has sounded all along like Phil is done coaching. When Mitch called him after Brown was fired, he needed more time to think about it. Can't say I blame him. But the FO did not have patience ... and we are where we are now.

Well the baseball cap boy can start to rectify his last mistake by hiring Phil to take his place and then retreating to the owner's suite.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby mpresev on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:29 pm

I was soooo disappointed when Jim didn't choose him.
"I smoke but do not inhale"
mpresev

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Whoops...meant to place the attached report from Ding in this thread and not in the Dr. Buss Appreciation thread...thanks for the head's up, Weez.

Asked about his role with Lakers compared to with Magic, Dwight had one good answer and one telling one: "I have to do whatever I can to help this team win." But as Dwight continued with his answer, he also noted: "Certain guys have to sacrifice more than others." Kevin Ding: D'Antoni is not focused on Lakers personality clashes: "On the court is where we're having our problems with chemistry."

Also in reference to charvin's post, I really hope that report is accurate. That will be very encouraging going forward. If Jeanie has a "say" in anything that we do, I feel much much better about moving forward.

Lastly, we all can agree for the most part that this wasn't the right direction to take the team. Jerry is doing what any good father would do and shield his kin....but Jimmy's imprint is all over the recent coaching hires. Its also blatantly obvious why the went away from Phil.

That being said, everybody deserves a chance to prove themselves. But what I don't like is when ego is deliberately at play and the guilty party is reluctant at relenting. I think the season just needs to play out and based off our talent and getting healthy, I still feel we can creep into the playoff race...but at this point, what's the point? You have a guy that is more interested in securing his future contract. You have vets who will bust their behinds to get us into the playoffs, but once we're there, they will surely be gassed. You have a coach that is terrible at game adjustments and proper gameplay philosophy with the personnel he has.

I much rather find a way to secure our draft pick so that Phx doesn't get it via the Nash trade. Use our assets and an expiring Pau this summer to make a power move to put Kobe in a situation that best utilizes the remainder of his career.

The FO wanted Showtime cause it gave them a style of basketball that was entertaining AND got them 5 rings. They ignored the triangle championship pedigree of 11 championships in the last 20 years because of it. But what made them think that MDA, Nash and Dwight were anything close to Riles, Magic and Kareem? Not even youth could do justice to that comparison...a younger Nash isn't anywhere near the physical specimen that Magic was. You look at Kobe and he's not an up and down guy....he's all about taking what the defense gives him...not running up and down with his head chopped off.

The FO needs to correct their ways and dismiss this ridiculous notion. MDA needs to be gone ASAP. Make good with Kobe right now....then when 2014 hits...abracadabra....a justification in returning to Showtime is bringing in the modern day version of Magic (both physically and talent-wise).
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Whoops...meant to place the attached report from Ding in this thread and not in the Dr. Buss Appreciation thread...thanks for the head's up, Weez.

Asked about his role with Lakers compared to with Magic, Dwight had one good answer and one telling one: "I have to do whatever I can to help this team win." But as Dwight continued with his answer, he also noted: "Certain guys have to sacrifice more than others." Kevin Ding: D'Antoni is not focused on Lakers personality clashes: "On the court is where we're having our problems with chemistry."

Also in reference to charvin's post, I really hope that report is accurate. That will be very encouraging going forward. If Jeanie has a "say" in anything that we do, I feel much much better about moving forward.

Lastly, we all can agree for the most part that this wasn't the right direction to take the team. Jerry is doing what any good father would do and shield his kin....but Jimmy's imprint is all over the recent coaching hires. Its also blatantly obvious why the went away from Phil.

That being said, everybody deserves a chance to prove themselves. But what I don't like is when ego is deliberately at play and the guilty party is reluctant at relenting. I think the season just needs to play out and based off our talent and getting healthy, I still feel we can creep into the playoff race...but at this point, what's the point? You have a guy that is more interested in securing his future contract. You have vets who will bust their behinds to get us into the playoffs, but once we're there, they will surely be gassed. You have a coach that is terrible at game adjustments and proper gameplay philosophy with the personnel he has.

I much rather find a way to secure our draft pick so that Phx doesn't get it via the Nash trade. Use our assets and an expiring Pau this summer to make a power move to put Kobe in a situation that best utilizes the remainder of his career.

The FO wanted Showtime cause it gave them a style of basketball that was entertaining AND got them 5 rings. They ignored the triangle championship pedigree of 11 championships in the last 20 years because of it. But what made them think that MDA, Nash and Dwight were anything close to Riles, Magic and Kareem? Not even youth could do justice to that comparison...a younger Nash isn't anywhere near the physical specimen that Magic was. You look at Kobe and he's not an up and down guy....he's all about taking what the defense gives him...not running up and down with his head chopped off.

The FO needs to correct their ways and dismiss this ridiculous notion. MDA needs to be gone ASAP. Make good with Kobe right now....then when 2014 hits...abracadabra....a justification in returning to Showtime is bringing in the modern day version of Magic (both physically and talent-wise).

What did you mean by the sentence I noted above?
LTLakerFan

Postby Pig Miller on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:40 pm

what i find interesting is that PJ says he's not coming back, and he told Mitch that in October. That was while Brown was still the HC.
Pig Miller

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:44 pm

LT: http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Lakers.htm

Lakers own 2013 1st round pick is top 14 protected. The Cavs have the option to swap least favorable 1st round pick of their inventory with us through the Sessions trade, but it looks like our pick isn't the least favorable of these options, so we'd keep the pick. If the Lakers are in top 14, we keep the pick and the Suns never get it and/or the Cavs won't swap one of their least favorable 1sts with ours.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Our pick to the Suns is top 14 protected? :man3: All season long all I've heard is that our pick belongs to them, I've been thinking the worse we do the better pick they get. So is that true then, if we sick and get a high pick we get to keep it? That's the first I have heard that, and if it's true that's great news, because as bad as we are we could end up with a 10 to 14 pick.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:52 pm

We don't have a pick this year. No matter what happens it's going to Phoenix or Cleveland IIRC.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby trodgers on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:54 pm

real: I'm with you. I still don't get WTF that was supposed to mean.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:55 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/35567/lakers-fans-shouldnt-look-to-2013-draft-for-hope

In summary, any way you slice it, the Suns get a first-round pick from the Lakers this summer. If we project the current records to the end of the season, the Lakers would be in the lottery and likely end up with the 10th pick, and the pick would be conveyed to Phoenix. (Historians will note that the Lakers’ only visits to the lottery were in 1994 and 2005, and both times they had the 10th pick, selecting Eddie Jones and Andrew Bynum, respectively.)

So if the Lakers want to have a first-round pick in this June’s draft, they’re going to have to trade for one. Their own pick will go to either Phoenix or Cleveland (likely Phoenix), and the team will be on the outside looking in on June 27. Unless Kupchak trades for another pick, his options are limited.

If Kupchak wants to fix the team through the draft, he likely won’t have a 2013 first-round pick at his disposal.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:56 pm

EDIT: Interesting....I felt LA gets to send Phx the least favorable of the pick. And since LA's own pick is top 14 protected...we keep it.

If it falls outside 14, the Cavs get to swap out their least favorable to us which then goes to the Suns.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 pm

they should try to trade for the top pick in 2014 or 2015 so they can get wiggins

:man1:
432J

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:59 pm

I'm so confused.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion