Phil Jackson interview about Lakers/Dwight/Zone D/Post Ups

Re: Phil Jackson interview about Lakers/Dwight/Zone D/Post Ups

Postby S.R.05 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:37 am

bystander wrote:my bad, meant flap, i'm exhausted lately

what i wanted to say was i took down my pants take my dick and made some nasty things with it while reading that.

ahahahahahahahha
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:05 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:Watching Phil speak at Jerry's memorial, watching Kobe speak about Phil there, adding in these comments, it's even harder to believe we didn't hire Phil back. 'Antoni is a clown and a joke of a coach in comparison, not worthy of representing this great franchise.

But Phil said it himself: he really doesn't want to coach anymore. He would have given this one a shot, but not because he loved coaching anymore. If he really doesn't feel like coaching, why would we go to him to coach?

If he were to be brought back into the Lakers' organization it wouldn't be as a coach anymore. As hard as that is for us to accept, we should. Just like the 2011 Lakers, asking Phil for one more shot when he really didn't want to would have just tarnished his legacy and ours as a duo.

I'd love him back as a VP figure. Let Jim take his father's role and fade into the background while allowing the organization to run itself. That'd be a dream. Hire Shaw as the Head Coach and allow Phil to run things as the VP. Jim Buss gets final say, but he'd allow the employees to do their jobs.

My point in the end still remains, if not Phil, at least not 'Antoni. He's not leading us to a championship he's just not, and he's not worthy to be coach of the Lakers, like Mike Brown he doesn't have the credibility or credentials.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:54 pm

^^ As I've said before, I'm not totally sure we can take Phil at his word about not wanting to coach again. Remember he is the master of mind games. And he's certainly not above saying he doesn't want something when he does, but is in the beginnings of negotiation. As I said in the midst of the coaching hire, Phil is the master chess player and Jerry Buss was the master poker player. Phil wants more than just a coaching job, that part I agree with you on realdeal. And I think that might have played into the Lakers FO turning him down. I think he wanted more control, more of a piece of the action.

The Lakers leaked that he wanted some control over the NEXT coaching hire after he stepped down. Now to me, that would actually be a good thing given Jimmy's track record. I think Phil wanted to insure that there wouldn't be another Mike Brown debacle.

Even with the way things went down, with Phil getting rejected in favor of D' Antoni, it would not completely shock me to see them go back to Phil in order to retain Dwight this summer. If so it could be a very good thing. It would heal the rift between brother and sister and would help shape the coaching direction for the future. He might bring in Brian Shaw who would be terrific in my opinion.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Lakerjones wrote:^^ As I've said before, I'm not totally sure we can take Phil at his word about not wanting to coach again. Remember he is the master of mind games. And he's certainly not above saying he doesn't want something when he does, but is in the beginnings of negotiation. As I said in the midst of the coaching hire, Phil is the master chess player and Jerry Buss was the master poker player. Phil wants more than just a coaching job, that part I agree with you on realdeal. And I think that might have played into the Lakers FO turning him down. I think he wanted more control, more of a piece of the action.

The Lakers leaked that he wanted some control over the NEXT coaching hire after he stepped down. Now to me, that would actually be a good thing given Jimmy's track record. I think Phil wanted to insure that there wouldn't be another Mike Brown debacle.

Even with the way things went down, with Phil getting rejected in favor of D' Antoni, it would not completely shock me to see them go back to Phil in order to retain Dwight this summer. If so it could be a very good thing. It would heal the rift between brother and sister and would help shape the coaching direction for the future. He might bring in Brian Shaw who would be terrific in my opinion.

as much as i'd love to believe that Phil would come to the rescue next season, i just can't see our Lakers paying 3 coaches...unless Jimmy doesn't care and just wants to win...even if it means he looks like a fool
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:18 pm

^^ Yeah, pound, it would seem like the least likely of possibilities. But . . . I don't think this is about money. To me, I think at worst D' Antoni could be seen as a stop gap coach. His salary isn't outrageous.

The Buss family as we know is different from other ownership. They do need to win. They have to. The franchise is their cash cow and they can't afford to start missing the playoffs on a regular basis. They need to have a contender.

They also need to retain their assets - in this case Dwight Howard. They didn't trade him. They are taking the gamble that he stays.

He won't stay for D' Antoni. I won't say it's an absolute, but I'll say that he will be very displeased to have to play another season under him. The two are like oil and water really in terms of the offensive philosophies. They are naturally going to be at odds in that regard.

We need someone who can take us back to the promised land. D' Antoni isn't that guy. And he wasn't even Jim's choice as far as we know - he was Jerry's. Even though I despised the D' Antoni hire and made no bones about it here, my biggest issue was the way the hire went down (which did have Jimmy's fingerprints all over it, unfortunately).

Even so, I'm starting to understand at least why they were in such a rush. Obviously it was because the good Doctor was deteriorating rapidly and he was not going to patiently go through a long hiring process for the coach. Of course I wish he had at least given Jerry Sloan a call - but that's my own pet peeve. Jerry Buss acted quickly because of his circumstances.

Still, the Phil thing intrigues me. Jeannie and Jim need to heal their rift. Jim needs help when it comes to coaching hires. I am hoping as much as I can that Jeannie and Jim and Phil can come together for the good of the franchise and in the memory of the great Jerry Buss. There is a franchise to run. Jim needs Jeannie and vice versa. If they could get their minds all together, get Phil in for one last season and then mentor/bring in the next coach . . . it could be incredible.

I know it's far out. I know it's beyond unlikely. It's just a thought I have and a hope.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:29 pm

"I know it's far out. I know it's beyond unlikely"

isn't that what they always say about big Laker moves?

i'll keep my fingers crossed, LJ
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm sorry guys, but I just don't see it. He's had opportunities to coach now in 3 different teams, right? Portland, New York, and LA? Hell BOTH New York teams could have been his.

He doesn't want to coach. I know it's hard to accept but he doesn't. If he did, he would have jumped at the opportunity to return when he was approached. And what I mean is not saying "yeah I'll do it" on the monday two days after the visit. I mean once they knocked on his door, he would have said "Oh I'm interested, let's sign up here and now". THAT is an interested coach. D'Antoni did it, Brown did it. Phil would have done it, but it wouldn't have been his best performance.

Maybe that all changes. Maybe it all comes differently this summer if Kobe and Dwight approach him, but I don't see it. He says he doesn't want to coach. Mitch says he doesn't want to coach. The Nets job was rejected. The truth is right there.

If you don't want D'Antoni, Weezy, I understand completely. All I'm saying is Phil was never really going to do it this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:23 pm

^ While I agree 99%, to be fair, he did say something along the lines of "don't want to have to learn new players"....which kind of hinted he was willing to coach the Lakers this year. Odd though, because there are a lot of new players. But he would be wet for Dwight Howard.

The Nets thing, I don't think he really wanted to be there...not enough talent/winning culture to lure him.

If anything, the passing of Dr. Buss might put perspective on things for Jimmy. Maybe he'll realize his fathers legacy, and take a page out of his book and take the back seat. He also doesn't have to worry about living up to Jerry in the sense of facing his father, maybe that eases his decision. Of course this is all hypothetical and contingent upon Phil's desire to coach.

BTW, is there any sort of conflict of interest if Jeanie is VP of business operations, and Phil becomes coach or VP of player personnel?
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Well there's no real conflict since they're moving towards the same goal.

I would hope that Phil could find the energy to come back one or two more seasons and give Kobe and Dwight the best chance to win a ring now. But I just don't see it. He's not a whole lot younger than Dr. Buss was.

I think he'd be willing to do coach here for Jerry and for Kobe and because he definitely loves Dwight, but I don't want him coaching unless he wakes up envigorated by the idea of coaching these guys day in and day out. I just don't see that from him.

VP? Sure.

Coach? I don't think he wants it. If we wanted the next best thing to having Phil as our HC we should hire Phil to be VP and hire Shaw as HC.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Here's a compromise I'd be thrilled with. Dump D'Antoni, and bring in Brian Shaw and hire Phil as special consultant to be in Shaw's ear like Tex was for Phil. Makes Kobe happy, makes Dwight happy, makes me happy.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:29 pm

We posted the same thought at the same minute in time. :man3: :man4: :man1:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:31 pm

TIME wrote:Here's a compromise I'd be thrilled with. Dump D'Antoni, and bring in Brian Shaw and hire Phil as special consultant to be in Shaw's ear like Tex was for Phil. Makes Kobe happy, makes Dwight happy, makes me happy.

AND Jim doesn't have to "give in" to Phil. :jam2:

Please please please God please oh please let this be a possibility. $$$ ain't a thang....let's say goodbye to MDA
Chillbongo

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:33 pm

did we have to pay Rudy T's salary when he decided to quit?
pound4pound1

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:34 pm

Nope, he "quit" for health reasons.

Anyone got a bat and MDA's latitude/longitude?
Chillbongo

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:37 pm

TIME wrote:Here's a compromise I'd be thrilled with. Dump D'Antoni, and bring in Brian Shaw and hire Phil as special consultant to be in Shaw's ear like Tex was for Phil. Makes Kobe happy, makes Dwight happy, makes me happy.

Wow, if Jim could stomach that...... Hell yes....... +1,000. And if Phil wouldn't see it as a Jim with his tail-between-the-legs capitulation, and then put the screws on him and (maybe "again" according to Woj the first time around after Potato's firing) ask for too much.....power wise. To where Jim says eff it and eff "you". That's where a lot of us think it probably is right now between them.
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Chillbongo wrote:

You could mapquest Staples Center from your location and meet him there at 10:30 tonight. :man1:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby TIME on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:40 pm

therealdeal wrote:We posted the same thought at the same minute in time. :man3: :man4: :man1:

Get out of my head! :freak2:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:40 pm

TIME wrote:
therealdeal wrote:We posted the same thought at the same minute in time. :man3: :man4: :man1:

Mods be Stalin'n.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
TIME wrote:

Mods be Stalin'n.

It's fun in TIME's head. :sing: :sing: :sing:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:

You could mapquest Staples Center from your location and meet him there at 10:30 tonight. :man1:

Don't tempt me :man9:

I know how to get into the VIP parking lot :man1:
Chillbongo

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion