Phil Jackson interview about Lakers/Dwight/Zone D/Post Ups

Phil Jackson interview about Lakers/Dwight/Zone D/Post Ups

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:36 am

Zen master doing his thing, he thinks Dwight is right and needs more touches inside as a post up guy :man10:
Maybe he still wants in?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130219/phil-jackson-los-angeles-lakers-dwight-howard/#

Phil Jackson hasn't said much publicly since he was passed over for the Lakers' coaching job in favor of Mike D'Antoni. And he did not use a 60-minute conversation over breakfast last week to launch fusillades against the Lakers. But he did have some comments about the Lakers and a few other things, too.

Some of Jackson's comments appeared in a Sports Illustrated story running this week. (Click here to subscribe to the magazine.)

Jackson wasn't wearing any of his 11 coaching rings on this morning (he also has two as a player from the Knicks), but the subject came up because his book coming out in May is titled Eleven Rings. His favorite, incidentally, is the 1996 ring, the first one of the Bulls' second three-peat, not because of anything that happened during the season, but because it is "the least ostentatious," with a simple four trophies on it.

Note that the interview took place while Dr. Jerry Buss was still alive and in the hospital. Certainly I would've asked Jackson something about the legacy of Dr. Buss, who hired him (twice) and is the father of his longtime companion, and now fiancée, Jeanie Buss, who runs the Lakers' business operations.

One final thing: Jackson has seven grandchildren, from two other marriages, and gave up the fact that Jeanie now allows herself to be called "Granny."

SI: Do you watch a lot of games? Do you have the NBA package?

Phil Jackson: I just got it last week at Jeannie's insistence. She didn't want people thinking that her boyfriend is so poor he can't get all the NBA channels.

SI: Do you take notes in case, you know, future jobs arise?

Jackson: I sometimes take notes. I have some people who have come to me and ask, "Would you watch my team, see if you can pick anything up?" Four or five teams, plus the Lakers. [He wouldn't identify the other teams.] So while I'm not officially in the consulting business, it might come in handy sometime.

SI: You've been away from the game for two years. Do things change quickly in the league?

Jackson: Not really. It's a mimic league. It has been for a long time. Coaches see something and say, "Oh, that's hard to defend. Maybe we'll run that." Screen-roll. Three-point shooters in the corner. Bigs that can roll and pop. San Antonio has a system, a way of doing things, and maybe a couple others. But most everybody runs that screen-roll.

SI: How does the game look to you? Similar from team to team?

Jackson: Yes. Basketball is a simple game. Your goal is penetration, get the ball close to the basket, and there are three ways to do that. Pass, dribble and offensive rebound.

The easiest one is -- or should be -- the pass. But the new rules allow you to throw more people at post-up players. NBA basketball is a big man's game, and in the past they protected that aspect of the game. Well, those rules went out the window and what they didn't do was consider this: If they're going to continue to allow zone defenses to work and shut down the paint, then they have to put six more seconds on the shot clock. A 30-second clock. But they're so attached to the idea of the 24-second clock that it doesn't happen.

SI: Did you bring it up when you were coaching?

Jackson: All the time, all the time. But general managers always dominated those competition committees. Anyway, it [allowing limited zones] has eliminated some of the post passing and made dribbling a major part of our game. As a result, I think people forgot that there are still ways you can get the ball inside rather than just standing there and throwing the ball in. You have to have a system that makes all things work. Pop [San Antonio's Gregg Popovich] has that.

SI: How would you describe that system?

Jackson: Popovich made significant growth 10 years ago or so after David Robinson left. It had been pretty stilted. You know, two big guys. A lot of stuff he does represents the triangle offense. They flow into it a different way. Strong-side triangle. Pinch-post action. Some of it may have come about because we were going at each other all the time in the playoffs and he had to defend against it.

SI: When you won three consecutive titles [2000-02] with Shaq and Kobe, you ran the triangle. But didn't you also get a lot of screen-rolls out of that?

Jackson: Yes, and it came naturally out of the offense. Or it might be a "special." We always had some of those.

SI: When you look at the Lakers now, considering that they've had a lot of personnel changes and injuries, what do you see?

Jackson: They just don't put the ball in the post. They'll use a screen-roll to get the guy in the post. But there's no consistent plan to do it. Yes, Kobe will go in there. But Dwight [Howard] just doesn't get any touches. They've basically eliminated his assets.

SI: But wouldn't his assets be rolling off the screen-roll, with either [Steve] Nash or Kobe?

Jackson: You want the ball 10 feet away from the basket. Throw it into the post, make them double-team and have everybody around to make shots. That's what Shaq could do. That's where you have the Robert Horrys, the Derek Fishers and the Rick Foxes sitting out there getting wide-open jumpers.

SI: But Dwight is not Shaq in that aspect of the game, drawing the double team and finding people. Isn't that true?

Jackson: I think he can be. But he is not where he needs to be physically because of the back surgery. He needs a year to recover from something like that. He's starting to come around, but he has a massive upper body to carry around. He's a terrific athlete, but he still has to get all that back. He's looking better all the time, but his problem right now is turnovers. He's got to have a little better recognition, and that will help him gain the confidence of his teammates and coach, which he does not have now.

SI: How about when Pau Gasol comes back? There seemed to be some problems when they were out there together.

Jackson: Well, what is the problem? We won two championships that way [with two big men]. Pau is one of the best big men in the game. I mean, Pau Gasol is going to be in the Hall of Fame.

SI: Hmm, I love his game, but I don't know about that.

Jackson: He has won European titles with Spain, [he won] two NBA championships. I think he will.

SI: As far as the Lakers go, haven't they been improving?

Jackson: Yes, I think they are finding a way to play. And that's nice to see. Steve has had to sacrifice because Kobe is dominating the ball, but Kobe is showing he can be both playmaker and scorer. Now it's about defense. And I think that's coming around. They make the playoffs, I think they've shown they're going to be in it with every team.

SI: Do you ever feel compelled to catch a game live at Staples Center?

Jackson: I haven't yet. I'll probably go when Shaq's number is retired. [That is scheduled for April 2.]

SI: There's little doubt you had a good run in this town, even after not winning it in, say, 2004, which may have been your toughest season, the one when Karl Malone and Gary Payton joined on.

Jackson: I did have a good run. There were always people who didn't like the triangle, thought it was too methodical, too unlike Showtime. But I was always astonished about how well I was treated. When I came back [in 2005] and took the job, people actually thanked me. They didn't say, "Good luck." They said "Thank you." I never forgot that.

SI: The $12 million question -- and I'm just throwing out a number -- is: Are you going to coach in the NBA again?

Jackson: I'm not coaching. I told Mitch [Kupchak, Lakers GM] that back in October. So when we sat down in November [to talk about taking over after Mike Brown was fired], he brought that up and I said, "Well, this isn't about moving or going somewhere else and learning new players. It's different. So I'm ready to think about coming back, but I still have to think about it."

But I do hold out the idea that there's still influence in the game I could have. Red Auerbach, Pete Newell, Wayne Embry, guys like that have had ... a number of people have had considerable influence and haven't been coaches per se.

SI: So ... a GM job?

Jackson: I don't like that term. Vice president of basketball operations/director of player personnel is more like it.

SI: Vice president ... that doesn't sound like the boss, but the guy who would report to the owner.

Jackson: No, that guy would be the boss. He would be the president of the organization.

SI: What else do you with your time besides surf the NBA channels ... now that you have the package?

Jackson: I'm a sports-watcher. I played football and baseball, coached baseball. So I watch those things. I watched rugby last weekend. I played hockey in North Dakota growing up and watch a lot of that. We watched Homeland.

SI: You seem like you might be a Breaking Bad guy.

Jackson: I'm not. One of my friends, John Lithgow, was on Dexter. So I watched that until it got too dark. Same with Breaking Bad and Weeds, shows like that. I can't take those shows where the premise is the good guys are breaking the law.

SI: How is your physical condition? [Jackson has had two hip replacements and one knee replacement.]

Jackson: Working out, rehabbing is almost like a job. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, several hours a day.

SI: A final obvious question: What do you miss about coaching?

Jackson: What you might expect. Being around the other coaches, being around the guys. It's what I talked about in my book [Eleven Rings]. Coaching is about, "How do I get these people to play at their peak level?" Yeah, the X's and O's mean something, but you can get people to do that. And a lot of those guys have been hired. The Lawrence Franks and the Frank Vogels. Mike Brown was one of those guys. That's not a knock. Those guys know how to coach the game.

But coaching is much more than that. It is a spiritual quest. And if it's not that, you don't have a challenge, you don't have a mission. Forming a brotherhood and trying to move it forward, that's the part that I miss

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Phil Jackson interview about Lakers/Dwight/Zone D/Post Ups

Postby bnr034 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 am

:man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: Please come back
bnr034

Postby TIME on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 am

Great read.

I chuckled at his subtle remarks about the Spurs & Pop who was his only rival the last decade. He gave Pop props, then implied that Pop formed his offensive system by imitating the Triangle.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby thisbjgz on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:54 am

I read it and I got the impression that....

Phil isn't coming back as the Lakers head coach is he?

:man6:
thisbjgz

Postby Center Court on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:09 am

very very very interesting quotes about Dwight. Up til now, I assumed Phil saw Dwight as the role he wanted Drew to play, monster defender and offense only when it comes. Maybe he sees more in Dwight then we do.

On the other hand, PJ is a master of the mind games, so maybe this is his way of getting into Jimbo's head.

Either way, I'm still pissed off to no end that we chose MDA of PJ. Given the roster, seemed like a no brainer. I don't see how Mitch could have advised any differently. :bang:
Center Court

Postby abeer3 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 am

great final comment there, and why guys like phil and doc rivers have had so much success while guys like brown and frank and avery johnson haven't.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:29 am

Jackson: I did have a good run. There were always people who didn't like the triangle, thought it was too methodical, too unlike Showtime. But I was always astonished about how well I was treated. When I came back [in 2005] and took the job, people actually thanked me. They didn't say, "Good luck." They said "Thank you." I never forgot that.

I'm glad that he remembers the Lakers fondly in that respect. It was one of my fears that just because he and Jim don't get along that the Lakers in general weren't a big part of him. I know he's married to Jeanie (almost) but I kind of had the impression that it tied him unwillingly to LA. That quote tells me that he at least has fond memories here.

Also :man10: at the "granny" comment towards Jeanie.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:29 am

Great interview. He keeps the game so simple.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:45 am

The man is such a smart basketball mind, still blows me away we passed on him for 'Antoni.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby TaniBoyz on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:00 pm

Vice Pres. of BB Ops. eh?
so he wants Jim's position :man12: :man9:
TaniBoyz

Postby Forward Three on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:13 pm

The guy just emanates with wisdom and a deep deep well of knowledge. Any team would be better for having him in the personnel, even if it was in the office and not on the court. I mean, we all know he's the GOAT coach and all, but at the same time I think some people can and do take it for granted or try to tone down his accomplishments as being the result of above-average teams and superstar players.

I would be really curious to hear his expanded thoughts on the matter of how the league's rules have changed, it seems like many of those changes clash very distinctly with his ideas of how the game should be played. The NBA historically has been a big man's game, but more than ever we're seeing smaller guys being successful and running the show and I don't think that's an accident, it's directly related to how rules have changed over time. So is it just that coaches need to relearn how to implement bigs or that GMs need to relearn how they build teams?

I think he's probably right about a longer shot clock too, maybe not 30 seconds? maybe just 26 or 28 would suffice. I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly(like 4-5 inches) longer three point line as well, and a slightly(like 2-3 inches) wider court. But I doubt any changes like that will happen any time soon, as long as things are prospering and superstars are drawing in major sponsorships, the 'hard' rules of the game will likely remain unchanged.
Last edited by Forward Three on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forward Three

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:13 pm

He's never coming back unfortunately
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:51 pm

We could have had the best & we passed him up.

Next time we have a chance to get LeBron, we will probably end up signing Danny Granger

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Good article and interview. Got to love the Zen Master. Best in the biz.

I still think with our personnel that the ideal fit would be Sloan system-wise. I wish they would have taken the time to interview before going with D' Antoni. But now in light of Dr. Buss' health I can see that they just wanted someone immediately. Too bad they didn't make it work with Phil. What about next season? Is that bridge completely burned? Or is it a possibility? If they could move Pau for younger pieces and retain Dwight I could see that possibly enticing Phil. Hope still lingers?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 pm

bnr034 wrote::man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: Please come back

Jimmy be gone!!!
lotus

Postby Kit on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Bad news 2 years in a row. First CP3 trade got vetoed then didn't hire Phil.
Kit

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:07 pm

PJ just trolling MDA.

He also probably would slap the s*** out of Dwight and man him the eff up.

But only after locking Dwight in his basement while playing repeated subliminal messages from Sacred Hoops on loud speakers for 36 hours straight.
Chillbongo

Postby charvin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:12 pm

I think everyone in Laker land will yell "Thank you!" if Phil comes back.
charvin

Postby khmrP on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:24 pm

PJ recognize Howard hasn't has been playing up to par because of how he's being used in addition to his injury. Everyone else here just wants to bash him for not dominating like he did in Orl. Granted his attitude stinks but its not like he aint doing diddly squat out there, he's just not doing what he did in Orl.
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:56 pm

-If you think about it long term like Dwight if hes gonna be here for 3-4 years is Phil willing to make that kind of commitment to this team. Maybe thats what FO was thinking, hire someone whos gonna stick around for a while
- Bynum/Pau couldn't work under Phil sooo how are Dwight/Pau supposed to work. Do we stagger their minutes with Clark?
- He mentions Horry, thats our stretch 4, even in the triangle we had someone who could make a J from the 4 spot, Pau is not that guy

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Lakerjones wrote:Good article and interview. Got to love the Zen Master. Best in the biz.

I still think with our personnel that the ideal fit would be Sloan system-wise. I wish they would have taken the time to interview before going with D' Antoni. But now in light of Dr. Buss' health I can see that they just wanted someone immediately. Too bad they didn't make it work with Phil. What about next season? Is that bridge completely burned? Or is it a possibility? If they could move Pau for younger pieces and retain Dwight I could see that possibly enticing Phil. Hope still lingers?

I'm with you 100%. It's clear they wanted Showtime back for Dr. Buss and I completely get that... It wasn't the right move, but it was in the right place... It's too bad it worked out so poorly...

The thing about Phil is: he openly admitted in this that he doesn't want to coach again! He didn't want to coach anymore before we talked to him and even then he was only on the fence... If he was really up for coaching again, he would have jumped at that opportunity, but he didn't. He just admitted it right there. It was something Mitch said a long time ago, I tried to point that out, but we're all so emotional about Phil we wanted to pass that by. It wasn't important that coaching didn't matter as much to him. It was important that he wasn't here for us.

I think the best move would be for Jim to take up his father's place as the behind-the-scenes guy and let Phil move into the VP spot.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Damn he's a good coach. I know I'm not saying anything new or something fans don't know already but reading that article in how Phil again shared that coaching isn't about X's and O's and more of getting players to play as one is exactly would we need on this team.

Gosh, I miss him.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby bystander on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Jackson: Well, what is the problem? We won two championships that way [with two big men]. Pau is one of the best big men in the game. I mean, Pau Gasol is going to be in the Hall of Fame.

flap, flap, flap
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:35 pm

bystander wrote:

flap, flap, flap

flap? I don't get it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Regardless of what system we run or what coach we have we need some damn shooters, under Phil, under Brown, under D'Antoni its been the same problem now your superstars are generating open looks out in the perimeter and nobody is able to knock them at an adequate rate to keep the defense honest. Teams are more than content to just pack the paint and let us shoot, we need more shooters. If you've played basketball you know how demoralizing it is to get good ball movement and get open looks all day only to come up empty time after time after time

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion