Phil Jackson on Mike Brown's Biggest Challenges

Phil Jackson on Mike Brown's Biggest Challenges

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:00 pm

Phil Jackson has kept mostly a low profile during his post-retirement life. He's spent time at his lakeside home in Montana and Jackson has lived with his longtime companion, Lakers Executive Vice President Jeanie Buss, in Los Angeles. But as far as attending Lakers games and appearing in the public spotlight? He's mostly stayed out of it.

Jackson emerged from his meditative state, however, during a radio appearance Friday on ESPN Chicago's Waddle and Silvy. Naturally, he was peppered about the Lakers, most notably what will mark Mike Brown's biggest challenge in handling a star-studded roster featuring Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Pau Gasol and Metta World Peace.

"It’s finding a role that each player can move towards and be comfortable in," Jackson said. "I think that's how you want to feel. You want Steve to have the ability to have the ball with confidence that he is doing
the right thing and feeling like he can run the team and getting the ball to Kobe in critical situations is
important because that’s what his best role is standing out in the moments of crisis or the moments that
are critical. And the inclusion that you have to have to make Howard feel a part of it. So all those guys
have to find a little role. "

Jackson took particularly aim at how Pau Gasol will fit in Brown's revamped system that will include elements of the Princeton offense.

"Pau Gasol can fit any of those roles, so he doesn’t have any trouble fitting that role," Jackson said. "He’s not identified with just scoring, so he’ll be all right, whatever they try to run. I think that is going to be the key."

Jackson didn't mention World Peace, who has arrived in training camp in better shape and weighing 255 pounds, a steep drop-off from the 274 pounds he said he weighed last season.

Jackson also shared concerns on the Lakers' veteran-laden roster. Bryant (34), Nash (38), Gasol (32) and World Peace (32) could apply for the NBA's AARP card. Brown has touted the importance of limiting their minutes and fully utilizing the revamped bench that includes secondary scoring (Antawn Jamison) and three-point shooting (Jodie Meeks).

"They gotta watch the wear and tear that goes on because the end result is what counts," Jackson said. "It’s not the first 100 yards of the season so to speak."

But Jackson's interview mostly touched on how the Lakers would sort out the offensive dynamic. He seemed particularly intrigued the Lakers would run parts of the Princeton system since its ball movement, cutting and passing presents similarities to his triangle offense. Jackson believed Nash would be key in ensuring the system runs well.

"He is a guy that can kinda make it easier for Howard to be a player inside," Jackson said. "As Pau can move around in the post and move up to the high post and he can be an outside defender that can help out in a variety of screen-roll activities that maybe Howard might get himself in foul trouble having to defend all the time. So they’ll be able to do a lot of things with a more mobile and quicker Pau Gasol. This is a team that you have to find an offense that is going to work and include everybody because Kobe dominates the ball and Steve Nash dominates the ball.

"Then you’ve got player that need to get the ball in good spots to work for their offense. That’s Gasol obviously in a couple spots, low and high post. Howard really is a low post player, he needs that ball in the post."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lat-phil-jackson-outlines-mike-browns-biggest-challenge-for-lakers-20121005,0,6828515.story
Ariza3

Re: Phil Jackson on Mike Brown's Biggest Challenges

Postby MusixFinest on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:17 pm

"Then you’ve got player that need to get the ball in good spots to work for their offense. That’s Gasol obviously in a couple spots, low and high post. Howard really is a low post player, he needs that ball in the post."

But didn't Shaq say D12 was more of a Euro-big? A pick-and-roll Center? How does it feel on that island, big fella?
MusixFinest

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Good to see Phil is caught up on Laker stuff. Maybe he could come back this season and tell the Potato where to get off.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB8SD on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Link to the ESPN Chicago 1000 podcast:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=8465900
KB8SD

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:48 pm

therealdeal wrote:Good to see Phil is caught up on Laker stuff. Maybe he could come back this season and tell the Potato where to get off.

yea, i wish Mike Brown's biggest challenge this season is adjusting back the booth after Phil comes back
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby nameant on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:56 pm

Man...if we had Phil, title is a lock. :man5:
nameant

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:00 pm

"It’s finding a role that each player can move towards and be comfortable in," Jackson said

That was a challenge for Brown last season. He relies way too much on talent as a coach even going back to his Cleveland days.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:03 pm

therealdeal wrote:Good to see Phil is caught up on Laker stuff.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Brown just has to step out of the way and let Kobe and Steve be the coaches on the floor. Just focus ln being our defensive coordinator.

revgen wrote:
"It’s finding a role that each player can move towards and be comfortable in," Jackson said

That was a challenge for Brown last season. He relies way too much on talent as a coach even going back to his Cleveland days.

What talent are you speaking of? In Cleveland outside of LeBron he didn't have that much talent. That 2007 Finals team was one of the weakest Finals teams of all time. Here last year outside of the big three of Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum the roster was mediocre at best.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Brown just has to step out of the way and let Kobe and Steve be the coaches on the floor. Just focus ln being our defensive coordinator.

revgen wrote:

What talent are you speaking of? In Cleveland outside of LeBron he didn't have that much talent. That 2007 Finals team was one of the weakest Finals teams of all time. Here last year outside of the big three of Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum the roster was mediocre at best.

He never tried to run with that Cleveland team. All he'd do is give the ball to Lebron on every possession and have everybody else stand in a corner. When a team basically has one scorer, you have to rind a way to get easy baskets somewhere else. Look at recent interviews with Doug Collins discussing how the 76ers are going to continue to run and get easy baskets in transition. Even though Bynum is going to be their #1 scorer, they know they can't depend on him to get all their points. Ditto with George Karl in Denver with Melo. Smart coaches find ways to get their non-stars to produce by putting them in the right role or position to do so.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Center Court on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:26 pm

if Phil was coaching this team would there be any doubt that we wouldn't win...?
Center Court

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:28 pm

Hopefully he gives his wife this kind of advice to pass along all season.
lakersin4

Postby ben_ready on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Like Howard said about shaq he's done! Same goes for phill. Cherish the memories and move on my equals. Not a brown fan but he's our guy and I'll give him this year to get some things right yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby jimbo327 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:33 pm

Phil would roll off another 3 peat with this roster, for sure.

From last season, I'm not sure Potato head can even draw up a play in the clutch.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby John3:16 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:37 pm

Mike Brown wrote:Phil needs to let it go. His time is up.

:man12:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:45 pm

jimbo327 wrote:Phil would roll off another 3 peat with this roster, for sure.

From last season, I'm not sure Potato head can even draw up a play in the clutch.

With Nash, we won't ever have a coach draw up a play again. Nash can just do it himself.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:50 pm

Brown biggest challenge is to forget he's the coach ... the less decisions he will take on his own ,the better it will be for this team ..

The season hasn't even started yet and I'm already afraid of him playing Blake over Meeks at the backup 2
wcsoldier81

Postby intuitivelOve on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:51 am

John3:16 wrote:
Mike Brown wrote:Phil needs to let it go. His time is up.

:man12:

LMAO! :man11:
intuitivelOve

Postby Finwë on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:17 am

Lazenby's TL is full of stuff about Phil's comments, Mike Brown & the Lakers in general if anyone's interested.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:29 am

:man10: Lazenby is to Phil what that Rudolph guy was to Dwight this weekend.

Seems like Phil wants back in now that we're stacked with talent. No question he'd get the most out of this team if he's engaged, but I still remember his terrible coaching in the 2011 playoffs.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 am

:phil1:

I miss the Zen master.

Brown's biggest challenge is finding a seat on the bench. I suggest sitting with the fans.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby GoldHammish on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:55 am

After reading the comments about Brown making Ebanks and Meeks fight for minutes at backup 2, I'm beginning to think that Brown's biggest challenge is actually having a brain.
GoldHammish

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 am

GoldHammish wrote:After reading the comments about Brown making Ebanks and Meeks fight for minutes at backup 2, I'm beginning to think that Brown's biggest challenge is actually having a brain.

Mike Brown wrote:Fool-proof roster huh? We'll see about that! :jam2:
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Weezy on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:10 am

I think Brown's biggest challenge is finding shirts that fit over his enormous potato head. Phil wasn't perfect, but I'd kill to have him back over Brown right now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:18 am

Weezy wrote:I think Brown's biggest challenge is finding shirts that fit over his enormous potato head. Phil wasn't perfect, but I'd kill to have him back over Brown right now.

Alright then here's your first target:
Spoiler:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion