Phil: I'm Not Going To Coach Again

Re: Phil: I'm Not Going To Coach Again

Postby Azndude2190 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:42 am

therealdeal wrote:
Azndude2190 wrote:So what makes you think Jim is going to do that? His awesome relationship with Phil or the fact that he wants to do things his way?

My brain. It makes perfect sense, it's a perfect way to rebuild his shoddy image, and it's a perfect way to rebuild the Lakers' brand after two horrifying seasons.

Maybe you know Jim Buss better than I do though, so maybe he wouldn't consider this.

People aren't always rational.

And I don't need to know Jim Buss to see he doesn't want much help. For one, look at his hiring of coaches.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:45 am

Azndude2190 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Azndude2190 wrote:So what makes you think Jim is going to do that? His awesome relationship with Phil or the fact that he wants to do things his way?

My brain. It makes perfect sense, it's a perfect way to rebuild his shoddy image, and it's a perfect way to rebuild the Lakers' brand after two horrifying seasons.

Maybe you know Jim Buss better than I do though, so maybe he wouldn't consider this.

People aren't always rational.

And I don't need to know Jim Buss to see he doesn't want much help. For one, look at his hiring of coaches.

For another look at his player personnel movement. I'm not going to get into another "Jim Buss sucks" discussion, man. It's useless. People will hate him no matter what I say and I've given up trying to speak reason to the subject.

The guy is a new owner and he's making the best of his opportunities. His father wasn't perfect either and his father made just as poor decisions with coaches.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:56 am

Actually I don't think Jim Buss sucks. I just happen to disagree with your initial statement that he's going to bring back Phil because it "makes too much sense".

On the contrary, I think whats happened to the Lakers the past few seasons was inevitable for any basketball team that has won and is aging. The Heat for all their success now are likely to meet their downfall soon. All teams go through it.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:Actually I don't think Jim Buss sucks. I just happen to disagree with your initial statement that he's going to bring back Phil because it "makes too much sense".

On the contrary, I think whats happened to the Lakers the past few seasons was inevitable for any basketball team that has won and is aging. The Heat for all their success now are likely to meet their downfall soon. All teams go through it.

I disagree that it was inevitable. I think they had a great plan to change their fortunes and the NBA's Chris Paul veto absolutely destroyed the franchise. Couple that with the new anti-Laker CBA and the design was to keep the Lakers down for a significant amount of time. Whether it was Stern or the rest of the owners, the League wanted us to fall and now we have. We soured our relationship with Gasol, ended up gambling on pieces that didn't work, and traded away assets that we should have kept. I think almost all of this is a direct result of that veto and a secondary result of the new CBA.

But all of that is spilled milk now. The reality is that the Lakers' brand has taken a huge PR hit. The front office is on thin ice with their own fan base. I'm sure the money has stopped flowing as freely as it once did. Dwight leaving left a huge hole in the image of LA as THE destination for premier NBA athletes. The best and easiest way to fix that from Jim Buss would be to a) hire Phil Jackson in some capacity and b) allow Jerry Buss's system to work by taking a step back.

It makes absolutely perfect sense and I have faith that reasonable people will come to their senses about it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm

The one time I'm "glass is half empty Guy" at CL is when I think of this relationship with Jim, Jeanie and Phil. I think Jim and Phil really don't like each other. Each with their own perspective, probably with good reason.
LTLakerFan

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Magic recently went at him and Phil places the final dagger.

We got two (former) Lakers on the ins telling us that Jimmy could be the problem and it doesn't take a PhD in rocket science to figure out that he's no Dr. Buss.

Mitch isn't going to tell Jr. no, so its about time we bring in someone who can. One thing Jimmy is decisively doing is trying to emulate Sr. Looks like he's going into the real estate game...

Jim Buss may not be making any major changes to the Los Angeles Lakers roster anytime soon, but the executive vice president of player personnel is going all-in on upgrading his real estate portfolio.

Showing off some of that “Showtime” panache, Buss has made a total of five multimillion-dollar purchases in Los Angeles and Orange County over the past few months while also listing a luxury home over the same time period. The Los Angeles Times details the spending spree, which included a $4.05 million penthouse purchase at The Ritz Carlton Residences at L.A. Live and a quartet of buys in Dana Point totaling $13.53 million.

Prior to his spending spree, Buss whet his appetite in September, when he listed a Santa Fe-inspired property in the Monarch Bay area of Dana Point. Listed for $4.795 million, the ocean-view home has four bedrooms, six bathrooms, two fireplaces, a front-yard pool and an infinity spa overlooking the ocean.

From there, the Lakers exec shifted into buying mode, scooping up four adjoining properties at the Strand at Headlands, an exclusive development site overlooking the sandy beaches of Dana Point, all on the same day. Records show Buss bought a half-acre lot for $2.25 million, a quarter-acre lot for $2.5 million, a 4,560-square-foot French country estate for $4 million and a 6,000-square-foot Mediterranean-style home for a $4.78 million.

As if that weren’t enough, Buss capped off his spending spree with the purchase of the penthouse at the Ritz-Carlton, which overlooks Staples Center, where the Lakers play their home games. Clad in Laker purple, the three-bedroom, three-and-a-half-bath unit sports 4,299 square feet of living space, a gourmet kitchen, and custom finishes. Plus, Buss gets to enjoy all of those fancy perks afforded to guest of the Ritz-Carlton, including access to an exclusive wine tasting room, screening room and the Champions’ Sky Lounge.

The son of late billionaire Lakers owner Jerry Buss, Jim Buss joined his father in the Lakers organization in 1998 as an assistant general manager before being promoted to his current title in 2005. Following his passing in 2013, Jerry Buss’ estate in Playa del Rey listed in December for $5.95 million.
http://www.realtor.com/news/lakers-jim-buss-buys-staples-penthouse-lists-in-dana-point/

And for all of us who like to play armchair GM, I think its about time we stop looking out for the Lakers repeater tax woes. Any money saved seems to be going into the coaching and buying them homes to squat in when we decide to part ways.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Him investing his money in property should have zero meaning to how he runs his basketball team. People with money make more money by investing money. I highly doubt dude is gobbling up homes just to leaver them vacant.

Nonetheless, he needs to bring some in. Nobody is going to care for this type of news if Phil is the face of the operation. He can be the guy in the background while basketball minds make basketball decisions.
Center Court

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:45 am

"I could kick your a** one-on-one" - Kobe to MJ

lolol That's why Kobe is such a competitor the way Jordan was and why I think its silly to compare Lebron and KD in their personalities with Kobe's and Jordan's. Completely different people and mindsets.

Great interview for sure!

Phil becoming part of management to help build the team with Mitch would be a dream come true and would make everything come full circle. Goosebumps....
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:27 am

Poor Vas
D.B. Cooper

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:17 pm

^^^ :man6:

But, like Real's been saying, place King Philip in an executive capacity to challenge Jimmy's decisions, bring in a guy like JVG or Thibs to coach and that will have me feeling rich again! :sing:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion