Phil: I'm Not Going To Coach Again

Phil: I'm Not Going To Coach Again

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:39 am

Here's Phil's uncut interview with Fox Sports Live in case anybody missed tonight's show...

Phil on Kobe Vs. Michael...

Phil talks about how Kobe first met Michael...

Kobe8Fan

Re: Phil: I'm Not Going To Coach Again

Postby bltkmt on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:17 am

Thank goodness. Hopefully, this will end the incessant "Bring back Phil" posts here as well as every other Laker-centered site. Next we need to tackle the equally incessant "Bring back Lamar" and "Bring back Shannon Brown" drivel.
bltkmt

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:26 am

Thank god we got Dan instead of this has been ^^ last year. Go Go Go :man10: :man6: :bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:42 am

I dont blame him, in addition to the rigors of the season and his hip and of course not to mention the way mgmt. emabarassed him last year...no way he wants to come back and save this sinking ship with that buffon of an owner manning the ship.
khmrP

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:14 am

What a GREAT interview. So good to see the Zen Master talking again. :bow:

As always Phil intimated a lot of things in there - he did not like the "process" of that last coaching hire at all and won't go through it again. Understood.

I mentioned at the time of the coaching hire that Phil is a chess player, Dr. Buss was the poker player. Phil is going for the long game, planning moves far in advance. He lost that particular battle, but in a way he positioned himself better for his long term goal. We know he had tired of the rigors of coaching and has been more concerned with becoming a vice president or higher up ala Riley in Miami. He has the basketball mind for it and I'm still hoping that he may get that chance here in LA.

I think it may be the only way to redeem the Lakers here . . . and it's obvious that Phil is willing to wait for such an invitation.

He made many mentions of "decisions" and "decision making" when it came to the difference between Jerry Buss and his son Jim. He also talked pointedly about Dr. Buss' wisdom in deferring to basketball minds for the running of the organization.

We'll see what happens with Jim and Mitch going forward. If they can pull a great draft pick, are smart in free agency, and get rid of this inane coach, then they may be able to do just fine on their own.

But I still see this is as a hopeful possibility that Phil joins these two and brings back some of the luster and credibility to the organization that it's lost in the past few years.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:21 am

Good. Put to rest these "Phil for coach" talks. We've known this since last season, but most fans don't want to know it. Part of me doesn't, that's for sure.

I still think that ultimately Phil ends up being VP of basketball operations with the Lakers. It just makes too much sense. Even as a figurehead, it's something the Lakers need desperately. They need a face that people can look to in the FO with trust. Jimmy just doesn't have that. Maybe he will one day, but it'll be on the backs of moves like this.

Bring in Phil, draft the right guy, and then move forward in free agency.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:26 am

therealdeal wrote:Good. Put to rest these "Phil for coach" talks. We've known this since last season, but most fans don't want to know it. Part of me doesn't, that's for sure.

I still think that ultimately Phil ends up being VP of basketball operations with the Lakers. It just makes too much sense. Even as a figurehead, it's something the Lakers need desperately. They need a face that people can look to in the FO with trust. Jimmy just doesn't have that. Maybe he will one day, but it'll be on the backs of moves like this.

Yup. Phil should be done as a coach. Physically it seems too demanding and he's already done it all. Nothing left to prove there.

But Phil as VP makes WAY too much sense. Let him work with Mitch and Jim on carving our direction. Let him recruit a championship level coach (Thibs) and let him recruit free agents.
Center Court

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 am

I'm glad Phil is done as coach. As a franchise, we have to move forward. We can't keep looking at Phil to bail us out. And Phil as a personnel guy isn't the same as him as coach. I think we should hold on to Mitch, pray Jim steps back and hire a good young, up-and-coming coach to take Marcus Smart, Kevin Love and Greg Monroe into the future. :man1:
Savory Griddles

Postby 432J on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:24 am

great to see phil and definitely a great interview to watch

i think we all knew phil was done coaching. he's accomplished everything and more and is getting up there in age, not to mention i'd doubt he'd want to return to the lakers at least after they disrespected him last year
432J

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:I still think that ultimately Phil ends up being VP of basketball operations with the Lakers. It just makes too much sense. Even as a figurehead, it's something the Lakers need desperately. They need a face that people can look to in the FO with trust. Jimmy just doesn't have that. Maybe he will one day, but it'll be on the backs of moves like this.

^^ This right here.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:09 pm

THAT would be a genuine light at the end of the tunnel. Why do I have next to no confidence it could happen. I'll gladly smoke that pipe though.
LTLakerFan

Postby Azndude2190 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:21 pm

therealdeal wrote:Good. Put to rest these "Phil for coach" talks. We've known this since last season, but most fans don't want to know it. Part of me doesn't, that's for sure.

Yea Jimmy isn't going to hand that position over.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:

Jimmy is President of Basketball Operations.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:33 pm

I agree. He should be the VP of basketball operations. Why would he go back to coaching? Is there something he needs to prove after winning all those rings?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:45 pm

karacha wrote:I agree. He should be the VP of basketball operations. Why would he go back to coaching? Is there something he needs to prove after winning all those rings?

He would go back to win a ring and then when he is holding the trophy at center court, he would pick up the mic, look Jim in the face and say, "We could of had a few more if you would have hired me the 1st time." Drops mic and walks off the court.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby thkthebest on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
karacha wrote:I agree. He should be the VP of basketball operations. Why would he go back to coaching? Is there something he needs to prove after winning all those rings?

He would go back to win a ring and then when he is holding the trophy at center court, he would pick up the mic, look Jim in the face and say, "We could of had a few more if you would have hired me the 1st time." Drops mic and walks off the court.

:man10: Hahaha, oh man, that would be awesome.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby Azndude2190 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:15 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Azndude2190 wrote:

Doesn't matter because Jim Buss will have the last word on everything basketball related. It's going to be the same situation with Mitch Kupchak.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby hollywood swinger on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:27 pm

dumbass should hire pj as speacial assist & consultant. he is in the family anyway and gonna be in line for ownership because his wife owns some of team. why not use his respect and power for advice and image since your paying for it anyway. spoiled wealthy people are so hard headed sometimes to their own detriment.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby bystander on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:38 pm

"Well, Dr. Buss had a PhD"
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:51 pm

bystander wrote:"Well, Dr. Buss had a PhD"

:man10: Yeah, that was a not entirely subtle jab. So were all the mentions of the word "decisions" and "decisiveness." Also the intimation that Dr. Buss was a self-made man and winner BECAUSE of those decisions.

Thus far Jim has not had much success with his decisions. Maybe things will change these next couple years. We'll see.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby bystander on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:44 am

Lakerjones wrote:
bystander wrote:"Well, Dr. Buss had a PhD"

:man10: Yeah, that was a not entirely subtle jab. So were all the mentions of the word "decisions" and "decisiveness." Also the intimation that Dr. Buss was a self-made man and winner BECAUSE of those decisions.

Thus far Jim has not had much success with his decisions. Maybe things will change these next couple years. We'll see.

That was the first thing it came to his head. He answered that just right off the bat. I think Phil thinks he's a moron.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:24 am

So PJ is all but confirming that he really didn't have say in the final coaching decision and Jim just under minded him. Man that Jim Buss pisses me off. He let personal feelings get in the way of business.

It really doesn't matter if we have the best people talking into Jim's ears. As long as he's the one making the final decisions, this franchise will be screwed. His coaching decisions are iron clad proof of this. Sure, you can get lucky at times but eventually, his lack of knowledge and willingness to listen to the people who know best will cost this franchise in the long run.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:16 am

Azndude2190 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Azndude2190 wrote:

Doesn't matter because Jim Buss will have the last word on everything basketball related. It's going to be the same situation with Mitch Kupchak.

Again...

This is under the assumption that Jim Buss operates under the same umbrella that his father did: he has ultimate veto, but doesn't use it unless it's an emergency. He lets the basketball decisions be made by people who are more qualified. Dr. Buss had the same power that you're describing. If Jim Buss were to hire Phil, it would be with the intention of allowing a basketball mind to give insight on the team. That's what the Vice President is for.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:04 am

So what makes you think Jim is going to do that? His awesome relationship with Phil or the fact that he wants to do things his way?

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:12 am

Azndude2190 wrote:So what makes you think Jim is going to do that? His awesome relationship with Phil or the fact that he wants to do things his way?

My brain. It makes perfect sense, it's a perfect way to rebuild his shoddy image, and it's a perfect way to rebuild the Lakers' brand after two horrifying seasons.

Maybe you know Jim Buss better than I do though, so maybe he wouldn't consider this.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion