Is Phil's spark running out???

Is Phil's spark running out???

Postby kobe_babee on Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:16 am

Don't get me wrong, I love Phil Jackson, he's a great coach, but he wasn't as good as we're use to these series this year.
Did you notice how in Game 6 vs Spurs, he didnt even call a timeout when they needed it? He's a coach, he's suppose to be their eyes of the court and let his players know whats happening. Why did he call a timeout only during the closing minutes?? If he would have called one earlier, maybe something else would have happened. Okay, Lakers were down by a hella lot during the game, and cut the lead to 2, why didnt he tell them what was happening on the court, what mistakes they did, what they needed to improve to take the lead? when the lead was expanded, where was his guidance to the team?? He needed to be there, coach the players, cuz they cant win the game alone.
Arent coaches suppose to coach? Phil always did that, but not in this series and i know he has his health problems, but guidance has nothing to do with that.
The Spurs, were the better team, but its hard not to wonder if they would be the better team if Phil was coaching better.
Well, hopefully we will all be back as a better team for our next championship, 2004.
kobe_babee

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:45 am

I agree with you. Phils theory is to let players recognize the problem and to adjust it. However, in a crucial game he should have been coaching the team more. He usually never calls a timeout until we are down by 10 or 15 points which really pisses me off. The team is getting blown out and we still don't ask for a time out?... sometimes maybe team captains should make a call and decide to call a timeout if the coach is not willing to. It's just a Phil thing. He feels that most of the coaching is done in practices which leaves little during game time. Phil is still the best coach in the league and he'll lead the team to a title again next year.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:47 am

How could the Lakers, try and conquer the inevitable? Their defeat was gonna come sooner or later, and it came then. Kobe now has to have surgury on his shoulder, and imagine if the Lakers were still in this run, what toll it would have had on Kobe today? He wouldn't have had the time to get it taken care of, and most importantly, a career ending disater could have occured.... All this woulda, shoulda, coulda, and ifs are really startin to annoy me... Everything happend for a reason, and we learn through our experiences... Phil did what he had to do, and sometimes what he does, may seem to be not enough in our eyes, but it's now him who's out there playin the game... Ya'll know the refs dictated the game, and they were the ones who weren't callin the game right.. SA did what any team was able to do, knock their shots down, and capitalizing on our turnovers. We werent able to get back on transistion D, cuz we're not a runnin team, like they are. But to say that Phil's spark is runnin low is ridiculous.... Whenever we lose or something negative occurs, people are always lookin to bash someone, one way or another, and it's not right... We lost as a whole, not as an individual. And I respect u for ur opinions! :jam2:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Slayer Alstarx on Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:42 am

I think Phil was distracted by something bigger than the playoffs. remember, he just had heart surgery, and his friend and teammate Dave De..dies on the street of a heart attack.
Seriously, what would you be thinking about at that moment?
Slayer Alstarx

Postby The Old Schooler on Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:24 am

Yeah, I don't think Phil is losing his spark. The Lakers just lost!!! I'm one of the biggest fans of the Laker family, but we can't point fingers at everybody. First, it was Shaq should have got the feet fixed earlier! Then, Kobe shot the ball too much! After that was, The bench stinks! I just hear us (Laker fans) giving reason why :man7: The only thing that we need to confess is....."We lost!" It doesn't matter who did what or who was the blame. We lost to a team that was better than us for 4-games. The focus now should be on a united commitment to go back to the level that brought L.A the first Championship. I'm sorry, but I don't believe in all this "get this player and that player stuff!" Because if you think about it...wouldn't Portland win the title every year if it was about what players you have? :man4:
CONNECTED IN THE GAME SINCE 1980
The Old Schooler

Postby FirstLady on Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:38 pm

Yeah, we could continue to play the blame game from here to the start of the new season, but I think what's important is to focus on what the Lakers have accomplished and not worry about "what ifs."

As far as Phil is concerned, one rough season does not turn a great coach into a bad one. Who really knows what his reasons were for not taking a more aggressive stance during the Spurs series. I'm sure that next season will be better for Phil and the team as a whole.
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:42 pm

The best player the Portland Trailblazers have ever had is Clyde Drexler. He is an amazing talent and was one of the 3 best all around pgs in league history, but the next best guy they had was terry porter. Clyde was amazing, but he is not Shaq and he is certainly no Kobe, so there is a difference between a team with no superstars looking to fill out their roster with as much middle range talent as possible (the blazers, others too) and a team with the two most dominent players in the game in their prime on the same team trying to add the pieces missing from their supporting cast to allow them to NOT have to face so much defensive attention based on their teammates lack of independent abilities...We already have the experience and level of play to win rings in our two superstars and the keeper role players (george, fox, fisher, horry) now we just need guys that can come in and take some pressure off of the two main guys, so we can at least start to run an offense that remotely RESEMBLES a TRIangle...not a stiffled and congested BIangle, which is what we were forced to run these past two championships...

As far as phil goes, I agree 100% with everything he did this season, he handled himself as well as he ever has. He will be back next year and we will be back as well...
Snakell Beast

hah

Postby k8fanatic on Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:47 pm

i dun think phil's spark is running out. but i think his health is in a crucial state. phil knows wat to do, he's a smart man. but his health condition might limit his "explosiveness off the bench" how about this guys: phil for one more year, and then byron scott for coach kuz his contract ends?? :naughty1:
k8fanatic

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:02 pm

mmmmm,... I'll take PHIL until he decides to call it quits. I think that would be in another 5 years or more I hope if he signs an extension. I don't just want PHIL to get more rings that REDD. I want PHIL to DESTROY Redd's record!!! I want PHIL to be known as the BEST NBA COACH EVER. Its too bad he is not getting his props now. They all just envy him. When was the last time he got coach of the year? How come he never been name to coach the OLYMPIC or U.S.A team? I guess when your the best and you live in L.A. everbody hates you. Just go ask KOBE.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:39 pm

There is no spark anymore. It's all a new start, but Phil did everything thing right this season. You can't win 4 in a row in a breeze... And as far as a three-peat is concerned, I doubt any team will accomplish one for a long time. Especially with the talent level in the leauge rising higher and higher EVERY year...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

oops

Postby k8fanatic on Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:51 pm

oops my bad, i meant phil after he retires...not while he is still active, hell no. i'd stick w/ phil all the way, no doubt. i meant if he was to retire next year, and get byron scott for the new head coach.
k8fanatic

Postby shaqass on Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:55 pm

I don't think Phil's spark is running out. You cannot win every championchip and we had to lose one day or another. However something pissed me off with Phil and it is not the time-out story. I think as a coach you have to think about the futur, you have to think that injuries may happen and therefore you have to give minutes to the rookies and younger players. I am sure that both Rush and Medvedenko have talents, they are not going to start but they can bring something. But as long as Phil will be our coach, no rooky will ever have the chance to play, and that's really annoying.
shaqass
Clublakers Rep: Neuchatel

Postby Reddy on Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:39 am

I do not think Phil's spark is running out cuzz as y'all said u can't win every year. Phil in my heart is hte greatest coach, and this year his health problems played a factor. And Shaquille respects Phil a lot, realizes he is the best coach. I also want Phil to destroy PHIL's record too! And shut Red's big cigary mouth! :man13:
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Return to Lakers Discussion