Pipedream: Article on Arenas being a good fit for the Lakers

Pipedream: Article on Arenas being a good fit for the Lakers

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:53 am

ONE MONTH from today, NBA teams can begin negotiating with free agents. Don't be shocked if the Los Angeles Lakers phone Gilbert Arenas.

Arenas was interviewed last month on the "Best Damn Sports Show Period" on Fox Sports Net. When asked if he would like to be a Laker, he broke out in a big smile and answered strongly in the affirmative.

The Lakers won't pay Arenas $7 million either. But to be an important third wheel for Phil Jackson, Arenas would be a fool to refuse a lesser offer. The Lakers have a tight salary cap, but they are known for making intelligent moves, cap or no cap. And they do know how to win.

Source - http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~10835~1428777,00.html
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby clublakers on Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:38 am

Thanks LD2k... two things:

1) If it is news regarding trade or free agency rumors, toss it in the Rumors forum (instead of Smack). We are getting more traffic from newcomers this summer to the Rumors forum and I want them to see everyone's findings as you find them.

2) Please also copy the link to the source you found into the Daily News forum as well. I'll likely miss them otherwise, and I want to give the finder credit as soon as possible on the Daily.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:49 am

I hope that Gilbert decide to sign with the Lakers. Rick Fox had the chance to sign for big money a couple of years ago at Atlanta, but decided to take the lesser offer with the Lakers as a FA. That was a great move in his part as he received 3 rings, and the big pay contract later on. Also, if Arenas can play great these next few years, they can pay Shaq less as the years go by, and allocate that salary to Arenas.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:34 pm

My bad CL, I had like a minute to get it on the site cuz I had a family breakfast to get to... Stupid Alarm clocks :boxing1:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Lakers4PEAT on Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:57 pm

please oh please....gilbert come to LA!!!!!!!
Wurdizzlez!
Lakers4PEAT

ARENAS

Postby KB8 MVP 2004 on Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:25 pm

ARENAS IS A AMAZING PLAYER WE NEED HIS,LIKE THESE WE COULD GET A BETTER BENCH WITH FISHER BUT WE NEED MORE A PF LIKE HOWARD OR MALONE BUT COME ARENAS PLEASE :mhihi:
KB8 MVP 2004

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:33 pm

wow!!! If ARENAS comes to L.A. we are in business again!! Not only will we torch the Center and S.G positions but our PG will be more competitive. The other teams better watch out cause our PG position will no longer be push overs!!! I hope he comes but will he take the MLE? or will we have to sign and trade a player to be able to get him the money he wants? I don't understand.... SNAKELL BEAST got any IDEAS on how we can work out ARENAS' contract?
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:23 pm

Yeah, it was in another post. If we do a sign and trade with Horry (by giving him the 5.3 million dollar extension) then we can send him (and his 1 year cap friendly contract) to the Warriors with another player (maybe Kareem Rush, we can sign Eric Piatkowski for the minimum as Kobe's back up) and use the MLE on Howard. Then we can sign Vladimir Stepania, Jake Voskuhl or someone like that to back up Shaq....then we have:

PG: Arenas / Fisher / Pargo
SG: Bryant / Piatkowski
SF: George / Fox
PF: Howard / Medvedenko / Madsen
C: O'neal / Whomever...
Snakell Beast

Postby Guest on Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:11 am

I'd hate to brak eit all u people that want aremas to come to the lakers trust me I want him to come to but in the report I read this mornin G.A.'s Agent said that G.A. is goin for the pay off, he said the # in the millions would probably be 7

Postby Danny Ainge on Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:27 pm

Dear guest, take it from me an apt basketball mind. What the player says and what the agent says are two completely different things, My personal belief is that with a persuasive call from say a Magic Johnson, Arenas will be a laker A.S.A.P.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:31 am

yea... SHAQ and KOBE and along with PHIL Jackson.. giving him a call will more than boost his decision in coming to L.A. If he becomes a LAKER he'll automatically become a winner/get rings/not to mention endorsements. If Rick Fox could get all those FORD commercials then imagine Arenas'.

KOBE OUR REAL MVP :bow:
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Guest on Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:03 am

true I can agree with that I'm sure the magic man could work some magic into G.A. comin to LA I was just statin what his agent said G.A. said my bad

ARenas

Postby Guest on Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:23 am

I'd love for Arenas to come to LA too, but it's not gonna happen.

Reality: LA signs one of the PFs available and does little else. Why? The owner is still cheap.

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:25 am

If that happens maybe BUSS should consider selling the LAKERS to a billion dollar corp. for the benifit of the FRANCHISE and L.A. We need to stay competitive and we need to be able to get players that will support our two superstars. If money is BUSS's main obstacle and is not willing to pay the luxury tax then maybe, its time for him to do everybody a favor an sell LAKERS to a Billion Dollar Corp. If this happens maybe then we can say BYE BYE to MITCH and bring back JERRY WEST and finally be able to pay the man what he's worth!!!

KOBE OUR REAL MVP :bow:
#1_Kobe_fan

Gilbert Arenas to the Lakers

Postby coop-a-loop-21 on Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:22 pm

What is the maximum amount of money the Lakers can offer Arenas? It's the MLE, right? And since he's a restricted FA, the Warriors would simply match that deal. So unless I'm missing something in the cap rules, I don't see how the Lakers will be able to sign him.
coop-a-loop-21

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:35 pm

Yea.. thats something I don't get. If we offer ARENAS the MLE and Golden State matches... does ARENAS have to take G.S. offer? or is it up to him to decide which MLE he should take?...
Snakell, can you clarify plz. Thx

KOBE OUR REAL MVP
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby zetaw00d on Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:54 pm

zetaw00d

Postby Guest on Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:03 pm

i thought that the warriors couldnt offer arenas the mle? My thoughts was that they have less that that. But if warriors matched on any offer to arenas, he would have no choice but to go back since he is restricted. So basically as long as he is restricted and the warriors match, he has to go back.

Postby Guest on Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:42 pm

u guys r missing that post by Snakell Beast.
If we do a sign and trade with Horry (by giving him the 5.3 million dollar extension) then we can send him (and his 1 year cap friendly contract) to the Warriors with another player (maybe Kareem Rush...)

That would mean awarding Arenas a contract in excess of the MLE. a contract the Worriers could not match.

Return to Lakers Discussion