LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby shoe on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:25 pm

Yeah, I was surprised at how good Ireland is doing on the radio and would've liked to see him do play by play on TV.
shoe

Postby XXIV on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:45 pm

shoe wrote:Yeah, I was surprised at how good Ireland is doing on the radio and would've liked to see him do play by play on TV.

Some people go as far as muting their tv and listening to Ireland on the radio.
XXIV

Postby TIME on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:01 am

Yeah I really like Ireland. He's quick, informative, engaged, and makes the game the star.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:27 am

billy mac doesn't bother me too much. i think he's actually gotten better since the start of the season.

john ireland is awesome...even pokes fun of his whole makeup-on-live-tv debacle. love mason & ireland, good quality show and though they cover the lakers, i love that they keep it almost as non-biased as you can get. just for novelty, i'd like to hear them call a game together once. they're like an old married couple sometimes...think it'd be effin hysterical
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby KJ MonK on Fri May 04, 2012 2:39 am

Mason-Ireland is probably my favorite show on radio right now... great chemistry

Ireland is just a true media guy he can fill-in anywhere u put him... deserved his sportscaster of the year award
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby LaLaKeRz4LiFe on Fri May 04, 2012 4:28 am

I don't know, I think Billy Mac did a solid job this year, gave the broadcast a little bit more energy instead of dead Joel. Though John Ireland woulda been perfect with Stu, IMO.
LaLaKeRz4LiFe

Postby kray28 on Fri May 04, 2012 6:51 am

Billy Mac just whines too much for my taste. He gets a bit too excited when the other team makes a play, and he dwells too much on pointless things like our "season series rivalry" with the Clippers. I remember when winning that was like the Superbowl for him. He just kind of seemed out of touch with what was important for the Lakers as a team/franchise.

Then there's his stupid phrases....I guess those are kind of cute in a lame type of way.
kray28

Postby 24K GOLD on Fri May 04, 2012 6:56 am

kray28 wrote:Billy Mac just whines too much for my taste.

He sucks, period.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby lotus on Fri May 04, 2012 7:03 am

I don't like mason, he seems like a jerk. He's too smug and he's full of it.

Stu is boring.

McDonald and Ireland are fine. I've listened to other duo's and they are much worse than Mason and Ireland. However, I do like Lawler and Smith because their overhype is pure comedy. Nothing more enjoyable than listening to them when the clippers lose. Haa.
lotus

Postby gcclaker on Fri May 04, 2012 11:20 am

lotus wrote:I don't like mason, he seems like a jerk. He's too smug and he's full of it.

Stu is boring.

McDonald and Ireland are fine. I've listened to other duo's and they are much worse than Mason and Ireland. However, I do like Lawler and Smith because their overhype is pure comedy. Nothing more enjoyable than listening to them when the clippers lose. Haa.

Ireland is good. I enjoy his play by play on the radio. No flash...no "cute" catchphrases. Ireland also has good chemistry with Thompson.

I like Lawler whatever the outcome. His best was with Walton as his partner. Those days were the bomb trying to manufacture some humor in dark days. Smith is just too much of a cheerleader.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Fri May 04, 2012 11:38 am

YES SIR, FRESH SNOW FROM THE OUTSIDE, THAT'S CASH!!!
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby KJ MonK on Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 am

Billy Mac is like 1 of those guys no girls find attractive... when we refer to him, we start off with "well, hes a nice guy..."
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby lotus on Fri May 04, 2012 7:35 pm

gcclaker wrote:
lotus wrote:I don't like mason, he seems like a jerk. He's too smug and he's full of it.

Stu is boring.

Ireland is good. I enjoy his play by play on the radio. No flash...no "cute" catchphrases. Ireland also has good chemistry with Thompson.

I like Lawler whatever the outcome. His best was with Walton as his partner. Those days were the bomb trying to manufacture some humor in dark days. Smith is just too much of a cheerleader.

True. Lawler and Walton were classic! Hands down the funniest duo I've ever listened to.
lotus

Postby Lakers_55 on Fri May 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Hey, I kind of like Bill Mac. He's not the greatest, but he is fun to listen to, for me.
Bring it Boston! Don't duck us in the finals again!
Seasons the Celtics lost ECF when Lakers won the championship (7): 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, 2002
In NBA history, the Lakers have finished better than the Celtics by a margin of 39-24!
Click for Video proof Lakers are the greatest NBA franchise
Lakers_55

Postby LAKEROC on Sat May 05, 2012 7:39 am

Parents both went to school with Billy Mac at Corona Del Mar High, and have nothing but the nicest things to say about him as a person.They were even in a drama production (that they had converted to DVD) and gave to Bill when he came over to my parents house for dinner a few months back. Many people here might not know this, but Bill was, very active in drama and choir in high school, and actually has a very good singing voice(he was the lead). I've met him a few times since he's close to my family, and again have nothing but great things to say about the guy. He's VERY down to earth, and is very genuine of a person.
LAKEROC

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sun May 06, 2012 8:04 pm

We need to pair up Dorris Burke along with Billy Mac for our new Laker network next year.
D.B. Cooper

Postby DHL on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:30 pm

billy mac cant even say detroit properly
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:37 pm

LAKEROC wrote:Parents both went to school with Billy Mac at Corona Del Mar High, and have nothing but the nicest things to say about him as a person.They were even in a drama production (that they had converted to DVD) and gave to Bill when he came over to my parents house for dinner a few months back. Many people here might not know this, but Bill was, very active in drama and choir in high school, and actually has a very good singing voice(he was the lead). I've met him a few times since he's close to my family, and again have nothing but great things to say about the guy. He's VERY down to earth, and is very genuine of a person.

It's funny you say that because my drama teacher back in high school looked A LOT like Billy Mac plus he sounded like him and could sing (although horribly :man10: )
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby OX1947 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm

I do not understand the hate for Billy Mac and Ireland. I think they are great. Both arent boring, both have passion and always look like they love their jobs. I like them both. If I had a say in the formation of the telecasts, I would have paid Spero enough to stay and had him and Stu do a simulcast. Keep Ireland as the sideline guy and had Billy Mac anchor the TWC show with James Worthy. But, I do not mind how it turned out.
OX1947

Postby LakerFan1235 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:32 am

So have we not heard about fresh snow because he dropped it from his vocabulary, or because it isn't winter yet? :man1:
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby Scnottaken on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:52 pm

LakerFan1235 wrote:So have we not heard about fresh snow because he dropped it from his vocabulary, or because it isn't winter yet? :man1:

I don't think he has enough Cash! to rent the snow machine.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby purp n gold on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:05 am

I really, really disliked John Ireland as a sideline reporter for KCAL. But I find him OK on his show and when he does the games. In the end I think he's a radio guy plain and simple.

Billy Mac is just a goofy & likeable guy to me. I don't think he's the best announcer but there's nothing offensive to me about his delivery.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:51 am

Billy Mac isn't as bad as I thought he would be, Joel Myers was way too boring, he sounds even worse now that he broadcasts Hornets games.

& yes I have heard the "fresh snow" this year :jam2:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:03 am

Billy Mac better than Joel :man10: ... Mac has very limited knowledge of the game compared to Joel ... even when it comes to the voice ( I guess that's what you're talking about here) , there is nothing special about Billy ...

We went from one of the best play by play announcers in the league to the worst 10
wcsoldier81

Postby DHL on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:18 am

"WHOAAAAAAAAAAA"
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion