LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby Shadow on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:34 am

Rockford Punch wrote:I was so hoping Lantz would've been let go too. He's so grating. His arrogance and pompous attitude are pretty sickening to me, as he brings absolutely nothing of value to the table in my eyes.

Very disappointed.
User avatar
Shadow

 
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:07 am

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:35 am

from Lakers twitter:

Stu Lantz is still the TV color analyst & Mychal Thompson remains in the same position on radio.


Happy for this. Stu will always be the second to Chick. A staple to my ears for Lakers commentary.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby The Rock on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:49 am

This ticks me off more because Ireland is one of the best sideline reporters out there. You're taking him out of what he does best where he can get you loads of information in a very timely manner for KCAL9 or ESPN radio. He's very transparent with what he sees while sitting near the bench area and talks about it on his radio show on weekday afternoons, you're losing that access to players and information from the bench if you put him behind the microphone I dont know why he agreed to this unless he got a raise
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19991
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Image

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
User avatar
GoldenKnight

 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 am

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby KJ MonK on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:56 pm

Weezy wrote:Sunderland would have crapped his pants.







:jam2: :jam2:

Sunderland was more than good enough, horrible decision to hire Billy Mac :disagree:
And John Ireland at the pbp? wow, did they not even CONSIDER interviewing anyone else? whats next, jack haley takes ireland's spot on the sideline? :man8:
it was bad enough that we have no more PHILosophy 101
these recent decisions are scaring me...
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
User avatar
KJ MonK

 
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:19 pm
Location: South Central LA/Long Beach/Bay Area, CA

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby Weezy on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:21 pm

Man watching those videos makes me miss Sunderland, he was so into it, helped make games more exciting.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50866
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:29 pm

Rockford Punch wrote:I was so hoping Lantz would've been let go too. He's so grating. His arrogance and pompous attitude are pretty sickening to me, as he brings absolutely nothing of value to the table in my eyes.

Very disappointed.


:wave: Stu.
:wave: Lantz.

Brings nothing? You probably didn't grow up with Chick 'n Stu then. One of the commentators has to be Lakers biased. Joel was neutral, but Stu gave views of what the Lakers should be doing, and the right attitude. The guys lost his best friend in Chick, he's not gonna have a guy like Joel (no offense) come in and make mistakes all over the place.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby BDG on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:38 pm

I got love for Billy Mac, but I don't think he's right for PBP ... he's perfect for hosting Lakers Live. Happy for him, but I don't think they made the best choice.

Pisses me off that Spero isn't going to be doing the broadcast. I was really looking forward to that.

Excited for next season, but all these shake-ups are messing with me. :freak2:
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40952
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Joel is a true student of the game. You could tell Stu often wanted to keep the commentary confined to the Laker game which was taking place right in front of them but should you have missed your daily dose of ClubLakers, Joel had you covered. That guy knows EVERYTHING basketball and his knowledge base helped him to be one of the better PBP guys on the air today. His character, charisma and vocabulary were nowhere close to that of Chick's, but he was his own man with his own style and he was still a VERY GOOD commentator. FWIW, while he may have been considered the straight shooter of the two, you definitely got the sense that Joel bled P&G underneath it all the way you could hear the frustration in his voice when the Lakers would go into "stupid mode" out on the court at times. He will be dearly missed.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

 
Posts: 12218
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:57 am

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby Johnnyboy on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:37 pm

People know Jim is taking over. Running the team into the ground with his ego. Magic left. They did shaw dirty. Got Mike "giant teeth" brown and Dedes knows whats goin on. Jim Buss is garbage
User avatar
Johnnyboy

 
Posts: 1930
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:31 am

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:49 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Joel is a true student of the game. You could tell Stu often wanted to keep the commentary confined to the Laker game which was taking place right in front of them but should you have missed your daily dose of ClubLakers, Joel had you covered. That guy knows EVERYTHING basketball and his knowledge base helped him to be one of the better PBP guys on the air today. His character, charisma and vocabulary were nowhere close to that of Chick's, but he was his own man with his own style and he was still a VERY GOOD commentator. FWIW, while he may have been considered the straight shooter of the two, you definitely got the sense that Joel bled P&G underneath it all the way you could hear the frustration in his voice when the Lakers would go into "stupid mode" out on the court at times. He will be dearly missed.


Completely agree with this. Regarding Stu, we all love him and he's been great but he has run his course in my opinion. His stuff is just recycled every few games, I've heard all he has to say about every situation. I also hated that he talked down to Joel so much.
Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
User avatar
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 18061
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Laker Land

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:03 pm

Ras Algethi wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:Joel is a true student of the game. You could tell Stu often wanted to keep the commentary confined to the Laker game which was taking place right in front of them but should you have missed your daily dose of ClubLakers, Joel had you covered. That guy knows EVERYTHING basketball and his knowledge base helped him to be one of the better PBP guys on the air today. His character, charisma and vocabulary were nowhere close to that of Chick's, but he was his own man with his own style and he was still a VERY GOOD commentator. FWIW, while he may have been considered the straight shooter of the two, you definitely got the sense that Joel bled P&G underneath it all the way you could hear the frustration in his voice when the Lakers would go into "stupid mode" out on the court at times. He will be dearly missed.


Completely agree with this. Regarding Stu, we all love him and he's been great but he has run his course in my opinion. His stuff is just recycled every few games, I've heard all he has to say about every situation. I also hated that he talked down to Joel so much.


I completely agree with both of these quotes.
Joel seemed to be a bit calm in his first year, I think it was because he didn't want to over do it; but after the first year you could definitely hear the excitement and frustration with the Lakers in every single game.
Quotes like "Man we are so lucky to see the best in the game day in and day out" and "Another miss for the Lakers, man oh man" make me know he is a true fan, not to mention how he would always check the scores on other games while being on the air to see if the Lakers could move up in the standings. But of course, Stu party pooper pants would respond with "Who cares, focus on this game"
Joel grew on me over the years, and he will definitely be missed.

Joel/Sunderland > Billy Mac
Image

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
User avatar
GoldenKnight

 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 am

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Joel was terrible but he at least stayed up to date with all the players in the league. Dunno if Billy Mac is very knowledgeable about that sort of stuff.
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby Scnottaken on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:20 pm

KJ MonK wrote:
Weezy wrote:Sunderland would have crapped his pants.







:jam2: :jam2:

Sunderland was more than good enough, horrible decision to hire Billy Mac :disagree:
And John Ireland at the pbp? wow, did they not even CONSIDER interviewing anyone else? whats next, jack haley takes ireland's spot on the sideline? :man8:
it was bad enough that we have no more PHILosophy 101
these recent decisions are scaring me...


they should just have hired the portland announcers from this video XD.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
User avatar
Scnottaken

 
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby purp n gold on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:24 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
Rockford Punch wrote:I was so hoping Lantz would've been let go too. He's so grating. His arrogance and pompous attitude are pretty sickening to me, as he brings absolutely nothing of value to the table in my eyes.

Very disappointed.


:wave: Stu.
:wave: Lantz.

Brings nothing? You probably didn't grow up with Chick 'n Stu then. One of the commentators has to be Lakers biased. Joel was neutral, but Stu gave views of what the Lakers should be doing, and the right attitude. The guys lost his best friend in Chick, he's not gonna have a guy like Joel (no offense) come in and make mistakes all over the place.


A lot of us grew up with Chick and Stu. The difference was that Chick kept Stu in check, and didn't let him mouth off like he does now. Probably more importantly, Chick commanded Stu's respect, so he didn't come off as arrogant and armchair quarterback-ish... like he does now.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
User avatar
purp n gold

 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:39 am

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby cultfigure on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:40 pm

So they threw a real professional and a local guy under the bus for the sexy, young "up and comer" only to get screwed as he hightails it to NYC. If we didn't have to endure Billy Mac's talentless wailing for the next 2+ seasons I'd almost laugh.

:man8:
cultfigure

 
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 6:38 pm

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby TheBrownMamba on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:25 am

Lakers trying to shed as much money as possible

Spero is going to be a super star in New York. Great hire by the Knicks.

Stu Lance must be working for cheap, I would like to see someone replace him, he's has had a nice career as a broadcaster, but what does he really bring to the table now these days, besides snapping on Joel Myers every game.
Dwight, what's your decision. Dwight Howard - In this fall, this is very tough, in this fall I'm going to take my talents to Hollywood and join the Los Angeles Lakers
User avatar
TheBrownMamba

 
Posts: 945
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby Pokey on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 am

It's never been the same since Chick but Spero was their best bet. This makes me even less interested. John Ireland is the worst! Meh on Billy Mac. RIP CHICK.
User avatar
Pokey

 
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:23 pm

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby Rockford Punch on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:40 am

purp n gold wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:
Rockford Punch wrote:I was so hoping Lantz would've been let go too. He's so grating. His arrogance and pompous attitude are pretty sickening to me, as he brings absolutely nothing of value to the table in my eyes.

Very disappointed.


:wave: Stu.
:wave: Lantz.

Brings nothing? You probably didn't grow up with Chick 'n Stu then. One of the commentators has to be Lakers biased. Joel was neutral, but Stu gave views of what the Lakers should be doing, and the right attitude. The guys lost his best friend in Chick, he's not gonna have a guy like Joel (no offense) come in and make mistakes all over the place.


A lot of us grew up with Chick and Stu. The difference was that Chick kept Stu in check, and didn't let him mouth off like he does now. Probably more importantly, Chick commanded Stu's respect, so he didn't come off as arrogant and armchair quarterback-ish... like he does now.



This. Thank you, I couldn't have said it better. I've been watching for over 25 years. Chick kept Stu in line and hid a lot of his shortcomings. Thankfully. Now he thinks he runs the show or something, and its extremely lame.

Crapping all over Joel any chance he got was just so petty and proved to me everything I had already thought of the man.
Rockford Punch

 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:38 am
Location: Southern California

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby cultfigure on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:38 pm

My only hope is that this will be such a disaster that it'll lead to a total house cleaning when the Time Warner deal kicks in, Stu most importantly.
cultfigure

 
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 6:38 pm

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby Sean on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:16 pm

cultfigure wrote:My only hope is that this will be such a disaster that it'll lead to a total house cleaning when the Time Warner deal kicks in, Stu most importantly.


these deals are only for next year (if there is one) due to the new broadcast deal coming. Things could drastically change in a year.
"Either you are still a Laker fan, or you never were." -Guru
User avatar
Sean

 
Posts: 605
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: Pomona

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby LakerPride247 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:34 pm

cultfigure wrote:My only hope is that this will be such a disaster that it'll lead to a total house cleaning when the Time Warner deal kicks in, Stu most importantly.


I think Billy Mac keeps his job for one year before Time Warner forces us to get a top of the line play-by-play guy. "Hey Stu Hey Lance" probably keeps his job though.
“This contract with Joel Anthony is a testament to the man who is second to none; who has worked hard and deserved this,” said Heat President Pat Riley. “We felt that what he has done over the last couple of years in developing his game, his body and his knowledge warrants this reward. If other NBA non-drafted free agents want a prototype to follow, Joel Anthony is that man."


Heat President/Acid abuser Pat Riley
LakerPride247

 
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:31 pm
Location: Dallas,TX

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby sodunited on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:22 am

I can't believe all the people that think Spero is so good. I thought he was terrible. Nice voice, but his play by play was awful I thought.

Should just get Gus Johnson and pay him whatever he wants.
Kings 16-30 free throws game 7.......AT HOME..lol
sodunited

 
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:47 pm

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby blakeruns on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:27 am

lol, Angels fans are happy
Angels fans may be finally rid of pedo-lusting bobblehead pitchman and overall Dork (yes with a capital D as a matter of fact) announcer Bill McDonald. The blow dry boob has been kicked upstairs, into the prestigious spot once occupied by Saint Chick Hearn - Bill McBieber is now the play by play television announcer for the Los Angeles Lakers (if your boyfriend just yelled and walked away from the computer it was at this point of the article). This is the broadcasting equivalent of Jeff Mathis wearing Brian Downing's jersey number, hey- wait...

http://www.halosheaven.com/2011/6/21/22 ... in-biebers
keepin it fresh eight days a week
Image
User avatar
blakeruns
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 11658
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Huntington Beach & Honolulu

Re: LA's play by play duo will be Bill Macdonald & John Ireland

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Spero Dedes arrested for DWI

Spero Dedes, who has agreed to be the New York Knicks' new play-by-play announcer, was arrested for driving while intoxicated in the Hamptons over the July 4 weekend, according to multiple media reports.

Colin Astarita, Dedes' lawyer, told the New York Post that he expects a "complete dismissal" of the charges.

"The early stages from the police paperwork show inconsistencies with the police allegations and what actually transpired that night," he said, according to the newspaper.

Dedes, 32, had done play-by-play for the Los Angeles Lakers on 710 ESPN, but had agreed to the same position with the Knicks, whose broadcasts are on ESPN 1050 in New York.

The Knicks have not yet announced the hiring, and Madison Square Garden officials did not return calls from the Post to clarify how the arrest may affect Dedes.

According to the police report cited by media outlets, Dedes was stopped by Southampton police at 4:12 a.m. ET Sunday for speeding in a 2006 BMW. Dedes, who attended Fordham, was charged with DWI and posted $500 bail. A hearing is scheduled for Wednesday.
User avatar
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel
 
Posts: 20560
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:22 pm
Location: Los Angeles

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.