Re: Points: Kobe 5th All-Time; 35 to pass Wilt

Postby John3:16 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Boom!!!

Jordan is next.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:00 pm

He done did it. Really came alive around that time, too.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:27 pm

John3:16 wrote:Boom!!!

Jordan is next.

Kobe can do it.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Malone's totals need two more season
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Finwë on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:44 pm

He will
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Re: Points: Kobe 4th All-Time; passes Wilt / MJ next

Postby DMK on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:22 am

Really Amazing..... 2 Guards are in this entire topic.... Jordan and the OUR GUY..... really think about that. You have Maybe the Greatest C ever.... maybe the greatest PF of all time... probably the Greatest ever........ and then Kobe Bryant on the all time scoring list.

Scoring the Basketball is the name of the game, its literally the entire point of the game of basketball... put the ball through the hoop. 3 human beings have done it more then Kobe..... :man4:

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby XXIV on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:35 pm

He'll pass MJ, the last two spots will be up to him whether he passes them or not. With the way he's been talking recently though, I don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong though.
XXIV

Postby Forward Three on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:03 am

It's a very impressive achievement. In 6-8 years or so Lebron'll likely be right there with Kobe and the rest, Durant'll likely climb up the ladder pretty fast as well. Those two certainly have the potential. Lebron's already got almost 21k points under his belt and the way he is playing seems like it's going to be a while before he isn't getting 1900-2200 points a season. But just the same, nothing is guaranteed, and that's part of why this sort of thing is special. Being able to stay healthy and still be productive and to stay in the league and play at a high level, to not suffer injuries you can't come back from(like T.Mac) and to have the right teams, the right conditions in the league overall and just really a little of everything but also to be able to get through having the wrong teams and the wrong conditions in the league.

Lebron's scoring has diminished a bit since joining Miami, obviously enough, he'll be 29 next year but he still plays like he's 23 for the most part. He only needs 4 or 5 more seasons really to hit 30k assuming he doesn't suffer any setbacks or have a drop off in his scoring ability. We've all kind of figured, and a lot of this is just bias against him, but we've all kind of figured that as his athleticism declines his game will decline sharply as well. Unlike Jordan or Kobe, Lebron simply does not have anything near their level of footwork and creativity off the dribble. He plays ridiculously efficiently because he is smart and careful as well as faster and stronger than most, but does that change? does he go from ~27ppg guy to 24ppg then 20ppg in the course of 4 or 5 seasons? Will he be putting up 27ppg when he is 34?

Durant is an even bigger unknown in the sense that he has started his scoring pace a lot faster than just about anyone and realistically there's no good reason why he won't have the scoring title every season for the foreseeable future. But since he's also so much younger there is so many more years ahead of him for something to set that off course. Simply can't make any predictions either way. Obviously if Durant can play 14-16 or so seasons and average 28 or more in most of them he'll end up right near the top, but who is to say?

But this thread is about Kobe and what Kobe has done is a special achievement no matter how you slice it. Not as dominantly as MJ, not as inhumanly as Wilt, not as healthily as Malone or Kareem. But like just about everything else Kobe has done in his career, he did it his way and did so with confidence.
Forward Three

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:57 am

The fact that Kobe is within a thousand points of MJ, who won the scoring title almost every year he played, and that both of them are above Wilt, is unbelievable to me. I think Kobe is putting it out there to management that his retirement depends on the direction of the team, more than anything else. He's not going to be able to stop training and obsessing after next year. And he's still going to be a top 5 player in the league for a couple more years, barring injury. I just don't see it as that easy for him to put the sneakers away.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby last stand on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:09 am

What's sad is guys like Durant and Lebron have good chances of passing him and neither are even within range of Kobe's scoring ability

Kobe made big sacrifices to win
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:00 am

There's nothing sad about Durant and LeBron being mentioned in those names. First of all if they make it there it's due to dedication, work, and the right amount of luck and opportunity. They will have deserved it and I will applaud them for it.

Kobe being up there among those names... it's very surreal. It's history being made and he does it every night through every injury. The amount he's given to us and to this city... We can never really understand it.

I hope he is able to catch and pass MJ. Not for me or for the Lakers but for himself. He's earned that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:06 am

I believe it's sad from this perspective

Durant and Lebron are not near Kobe or Jordan as scorers. Lebron as a player different story but talking about scoring.

But because Lebron and Durant have been #1 options since their rookie year while Kobe was thrust into the Nba with shaq and a contending team he hasn't put up the scoring numbers he easily could have.

Kobe has sacrificed more than any player in the top 5, by far
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:09 am

At that level I think everyone has sacrificed just about as much as should be expected.

Kobe Bryant did what he had to for wins. That's what his legacy will be. Not where he stands on the scoring list, that list is made to be broken.

This list will one day be rendered useless as Kobe slides out of the top 5 as newer players step in. There'll always be great scorers in this league who will end up being fortunate enough to get on the list.

What you're talking about, the way Kobe Bryant might be the best streak scorer in the history of the sport, is something that fans and critics have to keep alive. Not a record book.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenshi1023 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:55 am

kobe is and will be the greatest scorer of all time; 81pts in 4q and 62 in 3q ( > than entire conf.champ mavs team) :jam2:
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:16 pm

The LeBron/Durant argument about #1 options is interesting...but let's think about this.

Kobe is an unparalleled player - LeBron and Durant can't be mentioned in the same breath in terms of legacy.

Maybe playing off the bench, not getting minutes and being with Shaq is what DROVE him to elevate his game. Did you ever think about that?

Had he been the #1 option out of high school, would he have been as driven? Would he have worked as hard? Would he be the same player? I think his environment propelled him to greatness. It fueled the fire.

He'd still be damn near the best, but would he be Kobe? Just my .02
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:17 pm

DMK wrote:Really Amazing..... 2 Guards are in this entire topic.... Jordan and the OUR GUY..... really think about that. You have Maybe the Greatest C ever.... maybe the greatest PF of all time... probably the Greatest ever........ and then Kobe Bryant on the all time scoring list.

Scoring the Basketball is the name of the game, its literally the entire point of the game of basketball... put the ball through the hoop. 3 human beings have done it more then Kobe..... :man4:

Well said, well frikin said.
Chillbongo

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:59 pm

The fact that Malone is #2 shows you that longevity is one of the big factors. Don't get me wrong, Karl was great, but not Cap, MJ, Kobe, and Wilt great. I can see Durant or LeBron up there if they have long careers at the #1 option.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:38 pm

I don't see how people can easily say that KD, Lebron or anyone is a lock to be in the greatest scorers of all time realm. People really do take for granted what it takes to score this many points. Kap, Malone, MJ already proved they could do it over the course of "Careers." It is not "given" that KD or Lebron stays healthy enough or dominant enough late into their careers to continue at the pace that Kobe is playing at right now. Are they amazing talents? Of course. However, I have seen many great players not sustain the top of play that Kobe has played at so late into his career. It isn't a given that LBJ and KD do that.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion