Re: Points: Kobe 4th All-Time; passes Wilt / MJ next

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:09 am

At that level I think everyone has sacrificed just about as much as should be expected.

Kobe Bryant did what he had to for wins. That's what his legacy will be. Not where he stands on the scoring list, that list is made to be broken.

This list will one day be rendered useless as Kobe slides out of the top 5 as newer players step in. There'll always be great scorers in this league who will end up being fortunate enough to get on the list.

What you're talking about, the way Kobe Bryant might be the best streak scorer in the history of the sport, is something that fans and critics have to keep alive. Not a record book.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenshi1023 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:55 am

kobe is and will be the greatest scorer of all time; 81pts in 4q and 62 in 3q ( > than entire conf.champ mavs team) :jam2:
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:16 pm

The LeBron/Durant argument about #1 options is interesting...but let's think about this.

Kobe is an unparalleled player - LeBron and Durant can't be mentioned in the same breath in terms of legacy.

Maybe playing off the bench, not getting minutes and being with Shaq is what DROVE him to elevate his game. Did you ever think about that?

Had he been the #1 option out of high school, would he have been as driven? Would he have worked as hard? Would he be the same player? I think his environment propelled him to greatness. It fueled the fire.

He'd still be damn near the best, but would he be Kobe? Just my .02
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:17 pm

DMK wrote:Really Amazing..... 2 Guards are in this entire topic.... Jordan and the OUR GUY..... really think about that. You have Maybe the Greatest C ever.... maybe the greatest PF of all time... probably the Greatest ever........ and then Kobe Bryant on the all time scoring list.

Scoring the Basketball is the name of the game, its literally the entire point of the game of basketball... put the ball through the hoop. 3 human beings have done it more then Kobe..... :man4:

Well said, well frikin said.
Chillbongo

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:59 pm

The fact that Malone is #2 shows you that longevity is one of the big factors. Don't get me wrong, Karl was great, but not Cap, MJ, Kobe, and Wilt great. I can see Durant or LeBron up there if they have long careers at the #1 option.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:38 pm

I don't see how people can easily say that KD, Lebron or anyone is a lock to be in the greatest scorers of all time realm. People really do take for granted what it takes to score this many points. Kap, Malone, MJ already proved they could do it over the course of "Careers." It is not "given" that KD or Lebron stays healthy enough or dominant enough late into their careers to continue at the pace that Kobe is playing at right now. Are they amazing talents? Of course. However, I have seen many great players not sustain the top of play that Kobe has played at so late into his career. It isn't a given that LBJ and KD do that.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion