Points: Kobe 4th All-Time; passes Wilt / MJ next

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 12 to pass Moses

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:13 pm

fitting that hell pass moses against the hawks since he played there
User avatar
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel
 
Posts: 20502
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:22 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 12 to pass Moses

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:24 pm

^ Its even crazier when you think that 5 of the top 6 players on the scoring list, played for the Lakers. WOW!!! If Shaq had learned to shoot his free throws, and he conditioned his body the way that Kobe does his, Kareem's all-time scoring title would have been absolute toast.
LAKEROC

 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 12 to pass Moses

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Amazing to see Kobe just leapfrogging these all time record holders.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15196
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 12 to pass Moses

Postby trodgers on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 am

LAKEROC wrote:^ Its even crazier when you think that 5 of the top 6 players on the scoring list, played for the Lakers. WOW!!! If Shaq had learned to shoot his free throws, and he conditioned his body the way that Kobe does his, Kareem's all-time scoring title would have been absolute toast.

Shaq did leave a ton of points at the line, but he's also old already, has a huge frame, and I can't imagine him having gotten a few hundred more games out of that body.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46278
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 12 to pass Moses

Postby John3:16 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:49 am

trodgers wrote:Shaq did leave a ton of points at the line, but he's also old already, has a huge frame, and I can't imagine him having gotten a few hundred more games out of that body.


Shaq made 5935 of 11252 FTs. 52% for his career. If he was at 75%, which is pretty decent for a big man, he would've scored 2504 more points, leaving him in 5th place, but delaying Kobe's rise by about another season.
Image
User avatar
John3:16
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 31795
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Anywhere but LD after a loss.

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:56 am

If this was Lebron, you will be damn sure abc/espn will have a countdown for every person he passes. Like, a Lebron-o-meter on the bottom with a cutout of his head and a tally of his points.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9769
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:56 am

lakerfan2 wrote:If this was Lebron, you will be damn sure abc/espn will have a countdown for every person he passes. Like, a Lebron-o-meter on the bottom with a cutout of his head and a tally of his points.


^^ No freakin' doubt, lakerfan2. QFT. Just look at the stupid CHEAT Index! :mad1:

RE: LAKEROC's Shaq discussion, no way would he have threatened KAJ's record. The Cap kept himself in perfect condition through yoga and stretching and also had the perfect basketball frame. Shaq was always a football player size and frame with B-ball height. He just was not built to last. Built to dominate? Yes. But not built for the long haul. Remember, too, that Chamberlain was horrid from the FT line as well. He actually could've played a lot longer than his short 13 year career. He stayed in great condition for years and years playing beach volley ball. He's the one that could've obliterated KAJ's record had he stuck around longer.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15196
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 12 to pass Moses

Postby John3:16 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:03 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:fitting that hell pass moses against the hawks since he played there


Moses played just about everywhere. Philly was stupid for trading him for Jeff Ruland and after that trade, he was a journeyman. Really sad, because I felt he deserved better.
Image
User avatar
John3:16
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 31795
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Anywhere but LD after a loss.

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 12 to pass Moses

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am

John3:16 wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:fitting that hell pass moses against the hawks since he played there


Moses played just about everywhere. Philly was stupid for trading him for Jeff Ruland and after that trade, he was a journeyman. Really sad, because I felt he deserved better.


^^ Good points John. I didn't really follow Moses much but he always impressed me. Good history lesson there for me. Do you think it's fair to say that Moses is the most underrated of all the great centers? It certainly seems that way to me. Wilt of course is legendary, Russell is acknowledged for his D and his rings, KAJ for his consistency and longevity and overall play, Hakeem for the some of the best footwork in big man history and his cat-like defensive prowess, Shaq for his pure strength size and domination. But Moses just seems to get overlooked - perhaps because of the ABA and his journeyman status in the NBA? NBA/ABA combined all time scoring he actually ranks 6th with 1000 more points than Shaq.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15196
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 12 to pass Moses

Postby John3:16 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:39 am

Lakerjones wrote:Do you think it's fair to say that Moses is the most underrated of all the great centers? It certainly seems that way to me. Wilt of course is legendary, Russell is acknowledged for his D and his rings, KAJ for his consistency and longevity and overall play, Hakeem for the some of the best footwork in big man history and his cat-like defensive prowess, Shaq for his pure strength size and domination. But Moses just seems to get overlooked - perhaps because of the ABA and his journeyman status in the NBA? NBA/ABA combined all time scoring he actually ranks 6th with 1000 more points than Shaq.


He was an absolute beast in 83. He literally put that Philly team on his back and carried them to the title. They had lost to us in 80 and 82, but traded both their big men (Calwell Jones and Darryl Dawkins) to make room for Moses. 67 - 15 regular season and one off from the infamous "fo-fo-fo". Swept our beloved Lakers. We had some injuries (Worthy), but it wasn't gonna matter. They were winning the title that year and no one was gonna stop them. Moses, Bobby Jones, Dr J, Mo Cheeks, and the always underrated / almost forgotten Andrew Toney (who could shoot from anywhere on the court). They were deep, motivated, and destined.

Throw that in with his incredible stats and 3 MVPs..... yeah, he's very underrated. Philly had him, Dr J, and Barkley AND...... AND the #1 pick in the draft. The owner traded Moses for Ruland and then traded the #1 pick for Roy Hinson. WHO?!?!?!?! That #1 pick could've been used on Brad Daugherty or Len Bias. Worst draft day trade, ever!
Image
User avatar
John3:16
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 31795
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Anywhere but LD after a loss.

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 12 to pass Moses

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:26 pm

John3:16 wrote:
trodgers wrote:Shaq did leave a ton of points at the line, but he's also old already, has a huge frame, and I can't imagine him having gotten a few hundred more games out of that body.


Shaq made 5935 of 11252 FTs. 52% for his career. If he was at 75%, which is pretty decent for a big man, he would've scored 2504 more points, leaving him in 5th place, but delaying Kobe's rise by about another season.


I agree to an extent. One thing though is Shaq also got alot of those FTs solely based on him being a poor FT shooter and coaches being willing to play the percentages. I think his FTA total would be lower if he was a better FT shooter. To be fair though, teams would be more cautious about fouling him and he'd have higher percentage shots. It all comes back to how much better off Shaq would be if he could knock them down at a higher clip though.


OT a bit, but I just remembered when Shaq was with the Suns and had been complaining about the Spurs using the Hack-a-Shaq when they met in the 08 playoffs. So the next season they played on opening night, and Shaq gets intentionally fouled immediately , literally 3 seconds or so after the opening tipoff.

Everyone's all confused as to what just happened, and the camera switches to show Pop on the bench looking at Shaq with two thumbs up and a giant grin on his face. Everyone cracked up, even Shaq. Absolutely a classic moment.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

- 24
User avatar
Tobias Funke

 
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:13 am

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 12 to pass Moses

Postby BigDan24 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:
John3:16 wrote:
trodgers wrote:Shaq did leave a ton of points at the line, but he's also old already, has a huge frame, and I can't imagine him having gotten a few hundred more games out of that body.


Shaq made 5935 of 11252 FTs. 52% for his career. If he was at 75%, which is pretty decent for a big man, he would've scored 2504 more points, leaving him in 5th place, but delaying Kobe's rise by about another season.


I agree to an extent. One thing though is Shaq also got alot of those FTs solely based on him being a poor FT shooter and coaches being willing to play the percentages. I think his FTA total would be lower if he was a better FT shooter. To be fair though, teams would be more cautious about fouling him and he'd have higher percentage shots. It all comes back to how much better off Shaq would be if he could knock them down at a higher clip though.


OT a bit, but I just remembered when Shaq was with the Suns and had been complaining about the Spurs using the Hack-a-Shaq when they met in the 08 playoffs. So the next season they played on opening night, and Shaq gets intentionally fouled immediately , literally 3 seconds or so after the opening tipoff.

Everyone's all confused as to what just happened, and the camera switches to show Pop on the bench looking at Shaq with two thumbs up and a giant grin on his face. Everyone cracked up, even Shaq. Absolutely a classic moment.


Yeah that was hilarious!

Image
User avatar
BigDan24

 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:05 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby KB24 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:12 pm

^wtf :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55544
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby trodgers on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:58 pm

That's hilarious. I didn't see that. Rare to see Pop do something like that.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46278
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:38 pm

I've seen that clip before. Pop is a funny guy. But what's up with the beard? :man10:
Thanks for the sig, Jr. Kobe.

Image
User avatar
mamatheregoesthatman

 
Posts: 7812
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby DMK on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:23 pm

kobe 6th all time....wwwwoooowww.

:bow: :bow: :bow:
Image

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
User avatar
DMK
Clublakers Analyst
 
Posts: 18884
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:10 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby Heavier Than Heaven on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Kobe's 6th now. We're watching this guy fly up the list like nothing.
BUCK FOSTON

Thanks to Mookie for Avy!
User avatar
Heavier Than Heaven

 
Posts: 8013
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:51 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta CANADA

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby John3:16 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Hope this thread doesn't get too buried. Got awhile before he passes Shaq. But he will be moving up the playoff point total soon.
Image
User avatar
John3:16
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 31795
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Anywhere but LD after a loss.

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby escobar8 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:34 pm

congrats to kobe...now its time to catch shaq...
User avatar
escobar8

 
Posts: 9763
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:35 am
Location: Croatia

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:03 pm

If Kobe averages 25 over the next 47 games in the regular season he'll catch Shaq's total as of right now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40009
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby Lakers Advocate on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Props Kobe......I can't wait to see him pass shaq in points & finals MVP's
User avatar
Lakers Advocate

 
Posts: 2972
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:01 pm
Location: The Place Kobe Scored 81

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Congrats Bean!!! Woop, woop!
Image
User avatar
Jazzygirl205

 
Posts: 6335
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:34 am

therealdeal wrote:If Kobe averages 25 over the next 47 games in the regular season he'll catch Shaq's total as of right now.


^^ Just amazing. And Shaq obviously isn't adding to his totals any time this season, so he'll be where he is now until next year.

I really hope there's no lockout for next year but it's probably wishful thinking. Congratulations Kobe on getting to 6! I like how the Dr. brought up Moses' ABA numbers (of course that goes for himself as well!). In my perspective that's still the true list of all time, and I do think Kobe will get to the same level ultimately in both of those lists.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15196
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:37 am

Kobe's really moving up there now. I mean 6th all time. Only Kareem, Malone, MJ, Chamberlin and Shaq ahead of him. Everyone else he has eclipsed.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2747
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Points: Kobe 7th All-Time; 13 to pass Moses

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:03 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:Kobe's really moving up there now. I mean 6th all time. Only Kareem, Malone, MJ, Chamberlin and Shaq ahead of him. Everyone else he has eclipsed.


^^ In terms of NBA points allowed only, yes. Let's be real here though, even if you are against counting the ABA's points as one for one because they were a more scoring heavy league, it's still not fair to discount it all together. For this discussion here, yes, Kobe's passed Dr. J, Dan Issel and Moses Malone. But on the all time NBA/ABA list he has not. He will pass Issel very soon and will be right behind Shaq just as he is all time NBA (40 more points). It'll take another 2000 points to surpass Moses on the combined list, though, and 2500 more for the good Dr.

It doesn't bug me all that much in regard to Kobe because the top 4 scorers all time are NBA only and I think Kobe will land squarely in there at number 3. However, it is a pretty gross disrespect to Dr. and Moses that their stats are completely discounted as if they never happened. The NBA ought to get that together. I know we've been over it saying they were two different leagues, but ask yourself honestly if you think the Doctor and Moses wouldn't have scored at least close to the same number of points during their primes if they had switched leagues. It would have been damn close regardless of "style of play." Who in the NBA at that time was going to stop Dr. J in his prime? He was the Michael Jordan of the '70s. He was the best offensive player in the ABA.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15196
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fulzgold, Google [Bot], Kit, S.R.05 and 17 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.