Post Dwight Howard: Lakers' options in free agency

Post Dwight Howard: Lakers' options in free agency

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:36 am

Beware, super long post below...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, we've officially lost Earl Clark, Chris Duhon and Dwight Howard, and Mike D'Antoni has already alienated Devin Ebanks and Antawn Jamison (another reason to hate D'Antoni, he forcefully takes away minutes without a capable explanation) and those have pretty much said adios to the Lakers. Andrew Goudelock is someone who's not expected to be back, not to mention he's incredibly one-dimensional and has limitations almost everywhere else besides scoring/shooting. Kevin Ding already reported that in the event that Dwight leaves, look for the Lakers to amnesty World Peace, and I don't think that's going to change--we're stuck in the worst scenario, no man's land, between the 7th and 10th spots in the West, and Peace has been regressing badly on both ends and won't help a mediocre to poor roster. So that's already seven (at least) players gone from our roster. By the way, I'm assuming the Lakers are preserving cap space and will not execute any sign and trades with the Rockets.

I'd prefer not to have Robert Sacre, because if you've read my scouting report, I don't see any NBA-level capabilities and we shouldn't waste a roster spot just to have a cheerleader to bring the mood up during losses. He's a RFA, though, and something tells me we could have him back on the cheap, but still, if I were manning this roster right now, I wouldn't take him. That's (hopefully) eight now.

I'm not a big fan of Darius Morris either, because he needs to rewire his game and recognize is limitations, but even then, his niche of threes-D isn't as strong as other players. I'm mixed on letting him return, particularly since we have Nash and Blake sopping minutes, but of course with Nash's injury history he'll be good insurance, and can come on the cheap (minimum). We have already shown signs of wanting him to return by letting him know he can play in our summer league. So I'd pencil him into next season's roster.

So we're looking at
PG: Nash, Blake, Morris
SG: Bryant, Meeks
SF: None
PF: Hill, Kelly
C: Gasol

Eight familiar guys on our roster (I'm assuming Ryan Kelly will make it, he's certainly talented enough--read my scouting report). We need at least four more guys, and likely five more guys to round it out.

We'll have about $70mil of salaries next year with Metta's amnesty, so I'm assuming we're right at around tax level ($70.307mil). So we'll only have our mini mid-level exception and veteran's minimum for other free agents. Unfortunately, many of the top free agents have already chosen teams, although almost all of them were out of our price range.

I doubt we'd make any trades, although if we're completely tanking, trading Nash won't be a horrendous option, since there's no way we'll win this year and the clock is ticking on his end. However, it's only going to be one year before we might have our books completely wiped clean--only Nash is under contract for the 2014 season and beyond. So I don't think we'll trade him. Just have our top vets sustain a mediocre season--don't think we have the limited talent, or the veterans who would allow it, to tank for Wiggins. Assuming we do fall in the late lottery though, in a deep draft, who knows if a Aaron Gordon or a Dante Exum or a Marcus Smart could fall to us. So really, I'd recommend an all-out tank, especially if Kobe takes a while to recover. A great draft pick would be very nice.

We badly need to replenish our forward positions--any small forward, backup PF and a starting or backup center are priorities. Obviously to one year deals, to preserve our cap space. We've lost a huge chunk of our defense with Dwight and can sorely use some of that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FULL MINI MID-LEVEL OPTIONS:

First of all, I'd like to use the full mid-level on Oden, and we can sell him with minutes when we move Pau to PF, but I think he's going to take more than that amount of money to get. So, I'd really, really attempt to put our priorities on Samuel Dalembert as Pau's backup, likely with the full mid-level. That's the going rate for centers nowadays, especially since Dalembert still has vestiges of the rebounding and shotblocking he was known for, and while his dunking and defense have slipped a bit, he's still able at both fronts, and has a serviceable mid-range J. He gives us size and length.

If we can't get Dalembert, fall back for mini mid-level would be to go for Dallas's Brandan Wright--while his shotblocking's ahead of his defense and way ahead of his rebounding, his offensive game is exquisite--sweet mid-range shot, dunking, provides youth--and we'll need that to replace Jamison's offense. Yeah, he doesn't help with rebounding, but he'll plug other holes. He has the youth advantage over Dalembert for sure, but Dalembert will shore up the rebounding and provide enough offense to go with it, which is why he's first on the list.

If we want small forward first, given that we have zilch at the moment, Al-Farouq Aminu is available. He's starter quality, having started for New Orleans last year, and we need a starting small forward badly. He'll likely take the full mid-level, but he's an underrated on all things defender--he's excellent at rebounding, has great reflexes, and can really defend shots well. The problem is on the other end of the floor where he lacks skill and range, and at times allows his teams to play 4-on-5. But we need to emphasize defense and youth, and Aminu provides a lot of that. I put Dalembert in front because I like to have bigs more, but Aminu isn't a bad option. (FYI: I'd avoid Alan Anderson of Toronto if anyone was wondering--he can't defend his shadow, shot 38% from the field and for a supposed shooter he only made a third of his threes)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF WE GET DALEMBERT, MINIMUM OPTIONS:

With Gasol, Kelly, and Hill all being more on the finesse end of athletes, assuming we get Dalembert, we might need a bruiser PF, and a SF to fill the remainder. Bruiser PFs I'd like for the minimum include Ivan Johnson from Atlanta and Jason Maxiell from Detroit. Kenyon Martin is of the same mold, but he's old enough to the point where I think it's more advantageous for him to join a contender. DeJuan Blair is likely out of our minimum price range, and we wouldn't want to use the full mini mid level on him to begin with. Lamar Odom, while on the old side, I think he'd like to come back for sentimental reasons--he might be had for the minimum, I think, and his defensive versatility could be of major use to us, but I think he might want to stay with a contender as well. I like how Maxiell has been homegrown, having stayed with Detroit throughout his NBA career, and he's an underrated rebounder and shotblocker who relishes the dirty work. He's way too undersized at 6'7" for a PF, but he's still as athletic as ever (55 dunks, finishes 68% at the rim) but has no range. Still, he's kind of what we'd like for our team. Ivan Johnson's also a bruiser, will dunk some, has reflexes for steals and has a workable offensive game, and might be underrated as well here, but he's not a shotblocker.

A SF I think we can get for the minimum, and to badly fill the starting spot--I'd really like James Johnson. He's a bit of a tweener--he doesn't really have the range to be a SF, but he moves like a SF and can pass the ball as well. He's a wild horse who doesn't know his limitations offensively and forces up jumpers, and with his lackluster Sacramento season we can capitalize with the minimum here. A 1 year minimum deal as a possible starter with Kobe guiding him could be a useful experience for him, especially since he's young and athletic. Defensively, he wasn't good this past season, but with his quickness and his ability to rack up steals AND blocks I think there's a lot of untapped potential here, for sure. He's one of the more interesting candidates.

My second option would be Carlos Delfino, hopefully we can get both James Johnson AND Delfino for the minimum because they'd complement each other. With him getting waived, even though he put up 10 a game last season, it might be possible to get him for the minimum. He's an underrated ballhandler, passer, and an excellent defender, both in contesting shots, deflecting passes and rebounding. And he's a preferred long range shooter who can really stroke it. He fills in the blanks extremely well for our team, with few weaknesses. It's hard to believe the Rockets waived him, but if they took Dwight from us, I think Delfino would be a great get for us.

Third option is Ronnie Brewer. Can we resuscitate his career? He's only 28, but he's badly faltering ever since his Utah days. He's been a pretty overrated defender in Utah--more good than great, more off-ball than on-ball--but he has good quickness, has been a great dunker and doesn't need the ball in his hands to succeed. Very mistake free player--doesn't turn the ball over, doesn't foul. Has completely lost confidence in scoring and range, both from the foul line and from the perimeter over the past few seasons, which has really hampered his career. But still, he's kind of a cheaper Al-Farouq Aminu clone, without the rebounding and with worse defense, but still. We could also try our hand in Terrence Williams--perhaps too flaky and immature, but in his rookie year he was a triple double threat with some really good passing ability. Very athletic too and has defensive potential. Poor shooter, but there's potential to work with here. Mickael Pietrus is another option here, an overzealous defender and a highly preferred but overrated three point shooter who's acquitted himself in the GS's run and gun well, so he'd be familiar with D'Antoni's schemes. He's older than Brewer though and more of a journeyman which is why he's further down this list though. I was a big fan of Derrick Brown in his Charlotte stint two years ago when he got minutes, sick dunk machine and very capable defender, but not much else. Still, athletic markers and youth are what we absolutely need. If anyone's wondering, not a fan of Hakim Warrick's lack of defense and rebounding, and he's nearing 30 and has an athletic-based game, so I'd avoid.

IF WE GET AMINU, MINIMUM OPTIONS:

If we get Al-Farouq Aminu, to fill our center spot I'd like Zaza Pachulia. Something tells me he's worth more than the minimum though, but he's rugged, gets a ton of offensive boards and tries very hard on defense, albeit it's foul prone. But he has size, and I like how he's spent the past 8 years on one team (shows that Atlanta was willing to invest in him). But again, given he's worth more than the minimum (likely), that's why I don't want to put the eggs on the Aminu basket. Marreesse Speights might also want more than the minimum, and his game is hate-able because he loves stuffing his offensive numbers and doesn't do much else on defense and passing, but we'll need offense to replace Jamison, and he could be an able backup PF. Other options include Cole Aldrich, raw but could block shots in college, and was a lottery pick, and Hamed Haddadi is another underrated big man--he's raw and uncoordinated, but super tall, a rebounding machine and a space eater with some surprising touch around the rim. If we need big men shooters, for whatever reason, Josh Harrellson (threes/rebounds) and Donte Greene (attempted "threes/defense-mobility) are always available for the minimum. Birdman seems unlikely, of course.

IF WE GET WRIGHT, MINIMUM OPTIONS:

Combinations of the other two: for small forward, again ideally it's the Carlos Delfino-James Johnson tandem we get, but there's also Ronnie Brewer, Terrence Williams, Mickael Pietrus, and Derrick Brown as fall backs. At center, Zaza Pachulia, but if not, Cole Aldrich or Hamed Haddadi could prove useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So we need five more guys.

Just to recap:

Mini mid level: Ideally 1) Samuel Dalembert, 2) Brandan Wright, 3) Al-Farouq Aminu (in that order)

Options:
SFs (get 2 if Dalembert or Wright, 1 if Aminu): Carlos Delfino, James Johnson, Ronnie Brewer, Terrence Williams, Mickael Pietrus, Derrick Brown
PFs (get 1 if Dalembert or Aminu): Jason Maxiell, Ivan Johnson, Marreese Speights, Donte Greene, Josh Harrellson (the last three options, only if we get Aminu)
Cs (get 1 if Wright or Aminu): Zaza Pachulia, Cole Aldrich, Hamed Haddadi

This gets us four for our 12-man roster, and we could have someone perhaps off summer league to fill in the remainder, or maybe someone off the options list above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE DALEMBERT DEAL:

Just to recap, the Dalembert deal is the most ideal to me. So with Dalembert, the ideal combination would be to sign Carlos Delfino, James Johnson and Jason Maxiell as well all to veteran minimum contracts, with another summer league player.

Lineup configuration:
SF: Delfino, James Johnson
PF: Hill, Maxiell, Kelly
C: Gasol, Dalembert
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE WRIGHT DEAL:

So with Wright, the ideal combination would be to sign Carlos Delfino, James Johnson and Zaza Pachulia all to veteran minimum contracts, with another summer league player.

Lineup configuration:
SF: Delfino, James Johnson
PF: Hill, Brandan Wright, Kelly
C: Gasol, Pachulia
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE AMINU DEAL:

So with Aminu, the ideal combination would be to sign Carlos Delfino, Jason Maxiell and Zaza Pachulia all to veteran minimum contracts, with another summer league player.

Lineup configuration:
SF: Delfino, Al Farouq-Aminu
PF: Hill, Maxiell, Kelly
C: Gasol, Pachulia

So that's where we stand. There's still a lot of bargain bin free agents out there.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Re: Post Dwight Howard: Lakers' options in free agency

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:40 am

We need Sasha :jam2:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby noobiew on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:11 am

How much can we offer? mmle and the vet min right? I don't see how the Lakers are gonna find the pieces and able to increase our depth, we are screw for the next season.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:21 am

Thank you Rydjorker.

Finally a Lakers FA thread that doesn't mention Sasha, Farmar, Bynum, Lamar, and Shannon.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:34 am

revgen wrote:Thank you Rydjorker.

Finally a Lakers FA thread that doesn't mention Sasha, Farmar, Bynum, Lamar, and Shannon.

I don't think there's anything wrong with joking around and having some fun on a day where our season basically went down the tubes. That said, yes, thank you Rydjorker, that was a really good write up about some realistic options that make us look at least respectable.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:46 am

Weezy wrote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with joking around and having some fun on a day where our season basically went down the tubes. That said, yes, thank you Rydjorker, that was a really good write up about some realistic options that make us look at least respectable.

who was joking?!
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:00 am

lakersyunowin wrote:
Weezy wrote:

who was joking?!

Well I was half joking about bringing the whole gang back together, I want no part of Bynum, and there's no way we trade for Shannon and Ariza. But yeah I was serious in that I would bring back Farmar, Sasha, and Odom. It was still all in a light, joking manner though, that team to me would be more for fun, for laughs for old times sake than about winning anything. That was the whole point to me, we're not winning this upcoming season, might as well say "f it" and have some fun.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:02 am

Weezy wrote:
lakersyunowin wrote:
Weezy wrote:

who was joking?!

Well I was half joking about bringing the whole gang back together, I want no part of Bynum, and there's no way we trade for Shannon and Ariza. But yeah I was serious in that I would bring back Farmar, Sasha, and Odom. It was still all in a light, joking manner though, that team to me would be more for fun, for laughs for old times sake than about winning anything. That was the whole point to me, we're not winning this upcoming season, might as well say "f it" and have some fun.

it's time to throw away all rationality and common sense. in other words, channel jim buss when he's making coaching hires.
lakersyunowin

Postby TheOp on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:16 am

I think we can still be a solid team and a legit contender with a Kobe-Pau duo and Nash on the side at 25 mpg or so. If we find the right combination of shooters/wing players we can provide enough support for our big 3. Especially If Jordan Hill comes back healthy and can be defensive anchor for us.

If well coached I think we could achieve 55+ wins and perhaps a WCF berth. The problem is, we probably wont be well coached. :man10:
TheOp

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:18 am

i'll consider ourselves lucky to make the playoffs. 55 wins? seek out the optimism thread wherever it may be. :man12:
lakersyunowin

Postby slimjim on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:22 am

I'd welcome odom and sasha with open arms.

id also resign goudelock. nice scoring punch off the bench.
slimjim

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:29 am

Target Fat Odom and The Machine...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Nashty Gal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:41 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Target Fat Odom and The Machine...

:man10: :man10: :man10:

Machine on the real though
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:47 am

thank you ryder.... this is what i wanted in the now what thread? i like that dalembert lineup :jam2:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:31 am

:man3: I hate to over simplify my response to a very well crafted, if not so well thought out, post...but your market evaluations are TOTALLY unrealistic.

Real market values:

Oden: 5-8 million (injury language in contract)

Dalembert: 4-8 million (most likely FULL mid-level, multi year deal)

Brandon Wright 4-6 Million, will put premium on contract length and playing time.

Al-Farouq Aminu: 2-4 million 2/3 to FULL MMLE, honestly not appreciably better than Devin Ebanks, and is actually a much poorer shooter. The Hornets are very disappointed with him and believe he is not starter level. He is also NOT compatible with our needs at the SF. We need SHOOTING. He is a SUB-Average shooter at the SF position. Waste of money for any more than the minimum, and not right for our roster. He will also want a multi-year deal and should get someone to bite at 3 to 4 million for 2 or 3 years. UPDATE: Re-signed with Pelicans for 3.7 Million

Jason Maxiell: 5-7 Million FULL MLE, Multi-year contender only, He's not what we need, or can afford, in Antoni's system, which we are running now that Howard is gone. NOT a stretch 4 and too undersized to play next to Pau.

Ivan Johnson: 2-4 Million, FULL MMLE will want more than 1 year deal, He is also not a stretch 4, and is too undersized to put next to Pau.

Kenyon Martin: 2-4 Million, Most likely 2/3 to FULL MMLE for Contenders only, He is chasing a ring at this point. NO WAY would he fit next to Pau either, because he is not a stretch 4 and is too undersized next to Pau. UPDATE: SPURS IN HOT PURSUIT OF KENYON MARTIN, KNICKS (OTHERS TOO) ON THEIR HEELS

Lamar Odom: 3-6 million FULL MMLE/MLE contenders only butthurt blockage for Lakers, Lamar AINT walking through that door. After providing value and leadership off the bench last season for the Clippers, and reminding everyone of his potential to sometimes make a big impact, he will be worth more than what we can afford at this point, and that is even if he would consider coming back, which HE WOULD NOT.

James Johnson: Minimum Contract, PASS! He is too undersized for PF and too slow for SF. He has no SHOT (9% from 3 last season, 41% FG and 59% FT) and he couldn't even score on a terrible Sacramento team. Total waste of time. I would honestly prefer Ebanks.

Carlos Delfino: 4-6 Million FULL MMLE/MLE multi-year contenders only, He will NOT want to settle for a 1 year deal at less than market rate for a non-playoff team this late in his career. He will be looking for one last lucrative multi-year deal. He's at least 2 or 3 years from being desperate and cheap enough for the Lakers. NOT HAPPENING.

Francisco Garcia: SEE CARLOS DELFINO UPDATE: Garcia has agreed to re-up with Houston. 2 Year deal, 2.6 million.

Ronnie Brewer: 2-3 Million, 2/3 to FULL MMLE contenders only, He won't want to take less money to play for a non contender, especially considering that he shoots 35% FG and 41% FT...he is not a fit AT ALL for what we need. PASS, even though we can't get him anyway. Mutual disinterest.

Terrence Williams: SEE RONNIE BREWER, change FG% to 41% and FT% to 65% and add that he is an oversized SG who isn't really right for SF and you get that he is not what we want or need.

ZaZa Pachulia: 3-6 Million FULL MMLE/MLE multi-year, He won't want to come to the Lakers to play for one year at less than market rate for 15 minutes per game in a system that doesn't suit his abilities. mutual disinterest, too expensive. UPDATE: Pachulia agrees with Bucks on 3 year, 16 million dollar deal.

Marreese Speights: 4-6 Million FULL MMLE/MLE multi-year, Same as ZaZa, though he fits a bit better next to Pau because of his decent shooting. He will command FAR MORE than our MMLE, at least an extra mil, and he will want a multi-year deal.

Derrick Brown: 2-4 Million FULL MMLE Multi-year, Not coming for less than market value on a 1 year deal. Not a good enough player to pass up money. He may be able to secure one good size contract of 2-3 years before he is relegated to the minimum bargain bin. Decent shooter can score.

Mickael Pietrus: 2-4 Million 2/3 to FULL MMLE Multi-year contenders only, Not coming for less than market value to a bad team on a 1 year deal. Good defender, decent outside shot. Someone will bite ala Matt Barnes.

Cole Aldrich: 3-8 Million FULL MMLE/MLE multi-year, Young athletic big with HUGE potential upside in rebounding and shot blocking (projects to a per 36 minutes of 11 boards and 2.5 blocks per game with about 10ppg) too much upside to want to come for less than market value in limited minutes on a 1 year deal.

Hamed Haddadi: 2-4 Million 2/3 to FULL MMLE multi-year, He won't want to come to LA to play on a 1 year deal at below market value in limited minutes in a system that doesn't translate to his abilites.

Josh Harrellson: Minimum Contract, waste of time. The Miami Heat are starved for bigs and they couldn't find a use for him. He will be out of the league in 3 years or less. Can't shoot a lick, below average strength and conditioning totally NON-FIT for our system. I'd rather take a chance on a D-League defensive specialist.

Donte Green: 2-3 million 1/2 to FULL MMLE multi-year, Dante is undersized for the 4 and below league average in every shooting category, especially for the 3 position. His skillset doesn't translate well to Antoni's system and he will want more than mop-up minutes for 1 season for less than market rate on a bad team

OK - so there's my evaluation of your FA "options" list. I am sorry to rain on your parade, but your list is full of gross market value underestimations and bums we shouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Such is the Lakers plight under Jimmy Boy. Man...talk about the Lakers getting thrown under the Buss... :man5: :freak2: :disagree: :bang: :mad1: :man2:
Last edited by Snakell Beast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby Azndude2190 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:04 am

Are options are very limited. At this point we should consider ourselves lucky if any of them come back.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:16 am

I'd like to trade Pau. That won't happen, though. Realistically, amnesty Metta, sign a couple of cheaper wings/shooters and hope you make the playoffs next year...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby charvin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Is there any real benefit anymore to amnestying Artest? I mean, if the Lakers have no shot next year, you may as well pay the guy and have him play it out.

I'm all for amnestying Artest, but it doesn't seem to make sense anymore.
charvin

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:26 pm

charvin wrote:Is there any real benefit anymore to amnestying Artest? I mean, if the Lakers have no shot next year, you may as well pay the guy and have him play it out.

I'm all for amnestying Artest, but it doesn't seem to make sense anymore.

If we're going to acquire a player in a S&T scenerio involving Pau this offseason, we need to get "under the apron". We can only do that by amnestying MWP.

Also, amnestying Metta will save us 20 mil overall with taxes included.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:15 pm

We should Amnesty Artest because he doesn't give us what we need anymore. He doesn't work as a 4 and he is too slow and his shot is not good enough to play the 3. He needs to go to a contender and warm the bench. I like him, it's just time for him to go, especially since he works hard and we aren't going anywhere this season.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Weezy wrote:

This. We need a little laughing today.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby dj vitus on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:We should Amnesty Artest because he doesn't give us what we need anymore. He doesn't work as a 4 and he is too slow and his shot is not good enough to play the 3. He needs to go to a contender and warm the bench. I like him, it's just time for him to go, especially since he works hard and we aren't going anywhere this season.

I thought only teams under the cap can bid on him after he clears initial waivers or something; correct me if I'm wrong.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 pm

I had a long post drafted up, but it got deleted.

Snakell, I agree my post might be (somewhat) unrealistic, but I wanted to cast a wide net of perceived underrated players. Brandan Wright, Samuel Dalembert etc were all operating somewhat under the radar last year. Carlos Delfino being waived might lower is value a little. James Johnson coming off a bad season. Mickael Pietrus, Terrence Williams, etc being scrubs. So there's different reasons, and with the right luck, and with the market possibly drying up, they might be forced to take money $3.1million or less.

Also, Shaun Livingston put up 7 pts and 3 asts last year and got a 1 year, minimum deal. Granted, for a contender, but it's possible. Darren Collison put up 12 and 5 and was a steal at only $1.9mil. Again, contender, but still. Dorell Wright got a 2 year, $6mil deal (mini mid-level) for putting up 9.5 points a game on 37% three point shooting and good passing. And the Blazers talent-wise are on our level (I know, it's sad saying that now). If you also remember, in past off seasons, there are guys who always fall through the cracks. Happens every year. I remember Minnesota's Rashad McCants was coming off a 14.6 ppg season but he didn't get signed until pretty much September despite that, for the minimum. All this proves, money-wise, anything's possible here.

By the way, Snakell, I saw your "realistic" list, and I'd like to point out virtually all those players will get the minimum. I do like some of them, though, I'd gladly trade Darius Morris for either Rodrigue Beaubois or Toney Douglas (Beaubois has a lot of untapped potential, Douglas is somewhat proven; both can D up and shoot from deep).

Wanted to mention that if we need a SG, considering Kobe's Achilles might not heal up properly or might cause him to miss a ton of games, the market's pretty dry on that front. Don't really like anyone there--Wayne Ellington I agree is a favorite and might be a sleeper buy, but he reminds me too much of Jodie Meeks--threes, D, little else. Not sure if we need a replica. Anthony Morrow could be had on the cheap, but we might need scoring rather than spot up shooting. I guess Sasha would be the best option, but his shooting and defense are worse than he thinks they are, so I'm not too impressed, even with the familarity.

Also, of all the teams remaining, we're like the only team that's really in a state of roster flux. We only have about seven or eight guaranteed contracts next year and we need to fill up our roster with at least four or five more guys. I think that's part of the reason why the team wants to keep MWP, because despite his rapidly deteriorating game, Dwight held the Lakers hostage for so long that all the primary free agents joined other teams already. It's a stupid move, because I still believe we can get better value out in the open market than what MWP's offering (*Carlos Delfino, James Johnson, etc*). But I guess that's another advantage--we can offer playing time. It's reason to take away playing time from MWP, and Jordan Hill and Pau Gasol have nursed injuries--in particular I can't see Jordan playing 30 minutes a game. So that's where someone like a Brandan Wright, if he's attracted to playing time (he only played 18 mpg last year) comes in. That can be a deciding variable for many players, including Wright and Delfino. Guaranteed playing time, especially in the frontcourt.

I notice a lot of the players I liked have left--Al-Farouq, yeah, out of our price range ($3.7mil--barely though). Zaza Pachulia went away for $5million, well out of our price range. But I still think the other players will get less at the end of the day.

I'd also like to throw CHA's amnestied Tyrus Thomas into the list. Assuming no one bids for him, I think he might be an interesting buy. He's too much of a headcase, has low basketball IQ, and is injury prone, and while he can play, he's massively regressed into a jumpshooting brickster the past few years. All that can add up to minimum or slightly higher value, but we might have the veterans to screw his head on right and optimize his Stromile Swift-ian rebounding/shotblocking/shooting touch combination. That might be a bargain at that price.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Return to Lakers Discussion