Post Kobe: Pick a Star

Re: Post Kobe: Pick a Star

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:14 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Center Court wrote:
Ideally, pair Kyrie and K Love and Dwight

Even I'm scared of that :scurred: :man4:

I think that's the Lakers' vision as well. I'm fairly sure they're going to go hard after Love with Gasol's expiring this summer.

Love is a PERFECT fit next to Dwight. He's literally the absolute perfect fit for him. Outside shot, check. Rebounding extraordinaire, check. Clutch and a winner, check. Able passer, check.

Then of course I think the target is still LeBron in 2014 or 2015, but if they can't get to him then Kyrie becomes available in the same time frame.

But I think if you start with Love/Dwight down low... you've got a FANTASTIC start.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Legendary wrote:And THIS is why other fans HATE Laker fans....

Here we are...making reservations for other star players...like it's a given. :man10: :man10:

I was thinking the same thing.
Having said that, I'd go with Durant. In 2014 LeBron will turn 30, while Durant will turn 26. Durant's not even hit his prime and he's already a top 2 player in the L. He's a very hard worker, and looks very durable, I can see him improving his game even more.

Irving is definitely a star and gonna be the top PG in a few years, but still, give me the guy who's 6-10, can cross you over and pull up from 30 feet.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Aonex on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:34 pm

At this point I'm hard wired to hate LeBron and the whole Thunder team, so don't want either James or Durant. My favorite would actually be Derrick Rose if he's available through trade since it looks like he's locked in, with Irving right behind. Plus, I bet LeBron goes back to Cleveland.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby trodgers on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:19 am

I think that if LeBron is in LA I don't watch the Lakers.

I used to be very high on Durant, and I could warm to him again, but I can't go for LeBron.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby MC on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:26 am

Not sure why Lebron when by the time you have a chance to get him his physical domination will be on the decline as a 12 year vet.

I still believe that LBJ's game is more about his athletic gifts than his actual game...... much rather have a player that has more fundamentals within his athletic peak than a player that relies so much on athleticism and pure physicality.

If you are building a foundation for the future find the future star either by draft or a player on his way up..... not a player at his peak that will begin to decline by the time you get the pieces around him as a max player.

Westbrook
Durant
Irving
Burke (PG from Michigan who I think is the next great PG coming out of college)

guys in their youth and not in their 10th year already.......
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby 432J on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:57 am

andrew wiggins
432J

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:17 am

^ He is pretty amazing, but please let him play an NBA game before we are entering him into this "frnachise" player talk.
By the way, did you know the name Kyrie(it's actually pronounced Keer-E in the original context) is a Greek word that means, "Lord, have mercy". How ironic since we are basically hoping for his services!
LAKEROC

Postby trodgers on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:32 am

^ It's actually pronounced "Kee-ree-ay" in the Latinised version of the Ancient Greek (Koo-ree-ay). And it means "Lord" - "Kyrie, eleison" means "Lord, have mercy."
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:47 am

Kyriesus
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:12 am

Kyrieon

But seriously I love Greek mythology and I'm pretty sure trodgers is right.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersStan24 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:23 am

I Have my top 5 1. LeBron 2. Carmelo 3. KD 4. CP3 5. Kyrie Irving
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby trodgers on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:43 am

therealdeal wrote:Kyrieon

I taught first and second semester Greek at Texas Tech, and I've studied it for the past decade. I'm pretty sure I'm right, too! :man1:
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:47 am

trodgers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Kyrieon

I taught first and second semester Greek at Texas Tech, and I've studied it for the past decade. I'm pretty sure I'm right, too! :man1:

:man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:56 am

Kyrie + Jesus = Kyriesus

I have never studied Greek mythology, but I'm really great at mashing two words together. :man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 am

IMO, Lebron is re-signing with Miami; KD is staying in OKC. WTS...Kyrie is on my radar. He will be one of the top 3-4 pgs in this league if his health remains intact. Since we're no longer running the Triangle, a great young point guard would be a great start Post Kobe, IMO.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby kenzo on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Im not sold on Durant. Amazing player but so far he won nothing with a pretty good team :man9:
kenzo

Postby revgen on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:32 pm

Irving is the most likely candidate that we can pick up and IMO the best one if we're looking to rebuild.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Snake Eyes on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:45 pm

I would really like Kevin Durant, but as other have said, I don't think that is realistic. If the Lakers are going to sign a star, I think they should go with Kyrie Irving. He is young, exciting, and can do a lot of different things. Fans would love to see him play ball for the purple and gold.

But I'd also like to see the Lakers build through the draft. I know that hasn't been their standard operating procedure in the past 10+ years and it would require the Lakers to have some really bad seasons. The Lakers were able to build through the draft in previous eras. They drafted Jerry West, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Elgin Baylor, and Gail Goodrich. The Lakers also traded for Kobe during the draft. Those are many of the Lakers key players throughout their history. The Lakers only have had two top 10 picks since drafting Worthy with the number one overall pick in 1982. It would be really nice to have a number one overall pick. You get to choose a player with a level of skill on par with Baylor, Magic, or Worthy. Sadly, I think it's a pipe dream. We always trade away our picks.
Snake Eyes

Postby Aonex on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:53 pm

^^In order to get that 1st pick we're going to have to seriously suck one year. Not to mention, we've already traded away our future 1st rounders for the next couple of years... so as much as we'd like some homegrown talent, don't think that's possible in the near future. Signing free agents is our best bet.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby Snake Eyes on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Aonex wrote:^^In order to get that 1st pick we're going to have to seriously suck one year. Not to mention, we've already traded away our future 1st rounders for the next couple of years... so as much as we'd like some homegrown talent, don't think that's possible in the near future. Signing free agents is our best bet.

Yup, and I don't know if Lakers fans have the patience for that anyway. Can you imagine sucking for at least the next five years? We get ticked off if we are a first round exit in the playoffs!
Snake Eyes

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Well once this most recent rebuild happens, we'll start rebuilding through the draft a bit more.

Unless of course Mitch's vision is to continue having reload years where EVERYONE comes off the books at once every 3 years or so. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:27 pm

I want to say Chris Paul, but he' already 27, so i'm going with Durant.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:01 pm

revgen wrote:Irving is the most likely candidate that we can pick up and IMO the best one if we're looking to rebuild.

Maybe we can bring Byron Scott along with Irving! :man1:

We need a new coach.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Picking a star for the Lakers, I would go with the combo of Love or Milsap and Granger.

Trade Dwight tomorrow to the Clips (they won't refuse to help keeping Paul and running around with Dwight and Blake) -- for Jordan, Bledsoe (super athletic, fast, and good defender to learn behind Nash for 2 more years), and LO (and whatever other pieces needed) and picks.

Turn Metta, Blake and those picks into Granger (whom Indy wants to move for picks and cap relief plus players to help them win now and center around George and Hill).

Then turn Gasol's large expiring this summer or in December into pieces/picks in a 3-way for Milsap or Love. Give Clark some decent money. Next season's team is perfectly STACKED -- with young, athletic and fast talent (Bledsoe, Meeks, Clark, Love, D. Jordan, Hill) that compliments each other well and is solid to build around for the future, plus the perfect mix of playoff-tested vets (Nash, Kobe, Granger, LO). And this would be a great team for MDA's system (both the first and second units).

Nash, Bledsoe, Morris
Kobe, Meeks, (FA min contract)
Granger, Clark, (Jamison back?)
Love (or Milsap), LO
Jordan, Hill, Sacre

That team could give Kobe # 6, no doubt, AND be a very solid POST-Kobe team needing only a 8-14 million dollar combo-guard player like Ellis, Mayo, or Tyreke to take Kobe's place in the rotation and run with Bledsoe, while letting Love and Granger become the first/second options. I don't think the ball would get stuck too much with that team - running, gunning, having fun, and rebounding. They also would have decent defenders at the point - Bledsoe, wing - Granger and Clark, and rim - Jordan and Hill.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby bumrusherer on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Lebron and those who dislike him would quickly learn to love him.

The guy plays the game the right way every single night and is more efficient and consistent than pretty much any player since Jordan.
bumrusherer

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion