Princeton Offense Thoughts

Re: Princeton Offense Thoughts

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Ariza3 wrote:anything too complicated for mike brown will fail. we won't utilize pau properly again this year and focus soley on Nash Kobe & Bynum/Howard. guarenteed.

:bow:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:43 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:How does the Princeton offense utilize the PG PnR?

How will the Princeton offense get Pau at PF more involved in closer jumpers, post moves, or strong rolls to the basket while minimizing 18+ft jumpers?

PG PnR I'm not too sure on. I think you could watch some old video if Jason Kidd in the Finals to get a glimpse of it.

As for Pau, as long as he's playing Center he'll be close to the basket, maybe sometimes he'll be open for midrange shots. Think more like the free throw line though instead of the 3 point line.

There surely are handoffs, high picks, and PG rolling to basket in the Princeton offense. Plenty of good news for Nash.

Finwe: I don't think Howard is an instinctive passer at all. He has really worked to increase his assist rate in his career, but he's still flat out bad at passing. Drew hands out assists at a similar rate, but he turns it over much less.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby ben_ready on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Lol@ offense when mike brown is our coach. Plus blake is garbage, can we hire a basketball equivalent to an offensive coordinator already yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:21 pm

someone explain how the Princeton offense would benefit Nash & Kobe?

I dont fully understand this offense but from what i understand...anyone with the ball is the PG essentially and Bynum would prob become even more of a baby bc he would get the ball even less. Wasn't the whole point of bringing in Nash was so that Kobe & sometimes Pau don't have to play the PG and can play their roles and let Nash do it...?

you have one of the greatest passers and top 2 center in the game and were gunna use an offense that doesnt use them? im guessing were gunna run a princeton-traditional offense hybrid? add Nash PnR with the bigs and kobe to the offense. that would be a hard thing to defend having princeton and nash's own offense on some plays. why would we waste Nash's talent...or Drew's?

seems stupid to implement this offense without adding Nash PnR to it too for another dimension. thats what i would do.
Last edited by Ariza3 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ariza3

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:21 pm

ben_ready wrote:Lol@ offense when mike brown is our coach. Plus blake is garbage, can we hire a basketball equivalent to an offensive coordinator already yell™

That's the first real thing I've heard all day.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:26 pm

trodgers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:How does the Princeton offense utilize the PG PnR?

How will the Princeton offense get Pau at PF more involved in closer jumpers, post moves, or strong rolls to the basket while minimizing 18+ft jumpers?

PG PnR I'm not too sure on. I think you could watch some old video if Jason Kidd in the Finals to get a glimpse of it.

As for Pau, as long as he's playing Center he'll be close to the basket, maybe sometimes he'll be open for midrange shots. Think more like the free throw line though instead of the 3 point line.

There surely are handoffs, high picks, and PG rolling to basket in the Princeton offense. Plenty of good news for Nash.

Right, Nash will be fine I know that, I just don't know the intricacies well enough to say how he's utilized regularly. He's one of the greatest offensive players of all time though, he'll figure it out.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:38 pm

Ariza3 wrote:someone explain how the Princeton offense would benefit Nash & Kobe?

I dont fully understand this offense but from what i understand...anyone with the ball is the PG essentially and Bynum would prob become even more of a baby bc he would get the ball even less. Wasn't the whole point of bringing in Nash was so that Kobe & sometimes Pau don't have to play the PG and can play their roles and let Nash do it...?

you have one of the greatest passers and top 2 center in the game and were gunna use an offense that doesnt use them? :bang:

I recommend that you watch the video posted earlier in the thread. It's under 5 minutes and it gives you some idea of what's going on. Then watch this one. This is the Princeton offense in a game situation.

Pau's not really going to be playing PG. If a set goes a long time, he might end up with the ball at the top or at the arc, but there's a big difference between that and having him initiate the offense on his own. The Princeton Offense relies on off the ball movement to force the D to react. Then you read and go.

This video shows how post players can be used, both in high post and in getting down onto the block and receiving a pass in scoring position.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Ariza3 wrote:I dont fully understand this offense but from what i understand...anyone with the ball is the PG essentially and Bynum would prob become even more of a baby bc he would get the ball even less. Wasn't the whole point of bringing in Nash was so that Kobe & sometimes Pau don't have to play the PG and can play their roles and let Nash do it...?

You still have a position. Nash will bring the ball up. Everyone will go to their positions. Gasol and Bynum will be on the block. Kobe will be up top. But it will be Nash initiating sets and making the first read and that's AFTER he brings the ball up. That lets Kobe go and set up or battle for position. That lets Gasol not have to worry about any of that. Bynum will not have to have plays run for him. He'll get the ball on swings, and he's going to be our primary interior scorer because Gasol can score effectively from farther away.

you have one of the greatest passers and top 2 center in the game and were gunna use an offense that doesnt use them? im guessing were gunna run a princeton-traditional offense hybrid? add Nash PnR with the bigs and kobe to the offense. that would be a hard thing to defend having princeton and nash's own offense on some plays. why would we waste Nash's talent...or Drew's?

Unfortunately, we didn't use our two awesome Centers last year. This offense will be geared toward getting Bynum touches on the block and Gasol touches on the block and in the short to midrange. You don't have to ADD PnR because it's one of the reads in Princeton. A handoff to PnR.

seems stupid to implement this offense without adding Nash PnR to it too for another dimension. thats what i would do.[/quote]
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:45 pm

guess ill just have to wait and see how effective it'll be for nash.

imho i doubt it'll work as well as we hope. just dont see everyone getting it and making the right moves.just have my doubts. i sense a lot of frustration from kobe in others not getting it or moving and itll just be kobe iso bailout. drews def not gunna devote himself to it. to me it looks like a lot of passing or over passing that will just end with the ball in kobes hands with 5 secs left and everyone standing around watching

a lot of learning on the fly and im sure that it will all collapse in the final mins of a game when it counts. just dont see mike brown bringing everyone together and making it work
Ariza3

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:51 pm

"How will this work?"

I post a few videos and explain it.

Ariza3 wrote:guess ill just have to wait and see how effective it'll be for nash.

:man3:
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:53 pm

trodgers wrote:"How will this work?"

I post a few videos and explain it.

Ariza3 wrote:guess ill just have to wait and see how effective it'll be for nash.

:man3:

im saying i dont see it working for nash. he'll obviously learn it fine and do the pnr part well or passing well but all i see is numbers going down.
Ariza3

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:00 pm

For your consideration: it's the offense that Kidd was in when he went to the Finals. The Nets were a solid team then.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Snake Eyes on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:01 pm

Kingsama wrote:

Thanks for posting this Sama. I feel like I am the only person who doesn't know what the Princeton offense is. Basically, it seems like a lot of movement and spacing with a lot of passing until there is an open shot. My immediate concern is that since the Lakers are more of an older club, we may have to rely on the bench more if our older guys get tired. I mean, is that a legitimate concern or am I looking into this too much?
Snake Eyes

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:06 pm

When I was in Junior High we ran some of the Princeton sets. I played 1, 2, and 3 because the positions were so interchangeable it really only mattered for defensive matchups.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:13 pm

^ Well that'd be true whether or not we were running this offense. Unfortunately we need at least 1 more piece to our bench to make it effective and until that happens, we're going to have trouble.

Actually I see our bench breaking this system more often and trying to turn up the pace instead. Once within the offense they'll likely run it with Bynum spearheading the effort.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:21 pm

Good Guard options: Blake
Good Big options: Jamison, McRoberts

I think we could use another player, honestly, but we have about seven guys whose skills I like in the offense, and both Bynum and Hill should be fine.

Brian T. Smith on TWitter:
C.J. Miles considering signing one or two-year deal with Lakers, source says, likely for mini mid-level.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:00 pm

i dont want to run the princeton offense. too many things have to go perfectly right and there's no way that that will happen for us; especially with brown. i want to run a traditional offense with the talented roster we have. not some system where every player isnt used to full potential and has to sacrifice for the good of the "whole." If each player plays together and are utilied fully, we have the advantage...if not then i dont care what offense we run bc we aint gunna win.

we have to use Nash as the ball handling PG. Use Bynum to destroy any other center in the game. Use Pau in PnR with Nash and own. Bringing Nash in was so Kobe and EVERYONE else doesnt have to handle the ball and set others up...he'll do that. all they have to do is catch and shoot or cut. this offense is very smart but as great as it is it will not work and would make everyones individual talent lesser. Everyone would take a huge step back and sacrifice for a system in which is doomed to fail, especially with brown. i seriously hope were not using this offense as the main one and are only taking some things from it to better our traditional offense...now that we have nash it would be stupid to waste his talent along with drews and paus.

say what you want about how im wrong but if we use the princeton offense watch it fail this season and everyone running around like a chicken with its head cut off. it wont work guaranteed
Ariza3

Postby borri on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Probably not a bad idea to bring Barnes back on the cheap. This offense is ideally suited to his skillset.
borri

Postby XXIV on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:42 pm

borri wrote:Probably not a bad idea to bring Barnes back on the cheap. This offense is ideally suited to his skillset.

If we get Miles there's really no point in having him, Barnes, and Ebanks behind Artest. Also, while Barnes plays well during the regular season he disappeared the past two post seasons.
XXIV

Postby The Rock on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Can we just run more in transition with Kobe/Pau/Nash because Nash is one of the most productive players in the league when it comes to fastbreak situations. Not saying run up and down more but run more until we figure out this halfcourt princeton offense

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:07 am

I think we may need a different offense :man10:
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby trodgers on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:21 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:I think we may need a different offense :man10:

Dwight is a great fit. He is way active compared to bynum. Drew would have a higher top end, but Dwight is better now.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:30 am

Well I guess the problem existed with both of these guys, but neither one is very good at passing and that can hurt the offense. I don;t know a lot about the offense other than what I saw from the Kings running it and Webber+Divac's passing ability seemed to key to their ability to execute it properly.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:55 pm

soooo does this still work with Howard?

i expect Howard to play more off ball and get points via oops, layups, dunks, putbacks, etc. Which clears up the paint for Nash to penetrate and also Pau's post game.
Ariza3

Postby Clevername on Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm hoping we only run Princeton around half the time. I think with Howard, Gasol and Nash we should utilize the PnR a decent amount.

But hey, I'll be happy if we just don't run Potatohead's offensive sets.
Clevername

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion