Pringles To Save The Day?

Re: Pringles To Save The Day?

Postby Weezy on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:32 pm

IMO D'Antoni is just as bad as Brown, his offense is good, but he doesn't coach defense at all from what we've seen. It would be a lateral move if you ask me, he was run out of NY for a reason.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby CarFlagChris on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:46 pm

Weezy wrote:IMO D'Antoni is just as bad as Brown, his offense is good, but he doesn't coach defense at all from what we've seen. It would be a lateral move if you ask me, he was run out of NY for a reason.

Remember D'Antoni turned around the Knicks, taking them to the playoffs.
He was ousted because both Melo and Amare need the ball, can't co-exist and are not interested in defense.

Both Kobe and Nash respect D'Antoni - the same cannot be said about Mike Brown.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby BDG on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:32 am

Please no with D'Antoni.

If you hire a new coach, it's Sloan or bust (imo) ... unless I'm forgetting someone.

The guy has to have a Playoff-proven system, experience and command respect.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby kenzo on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:37 am

I said it before (pipe warning). JVG... and Pringles :man9:
kenzo

Postby bystander on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:52 am

I rather want a kick in the balls than this guy coaching the Lakers.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:02 am

Pringles? :man10:

Does everybody really hate Potato head that much?? Are we that desperate at only 1-3??
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby khmrP on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:17 am

Weezy wrote:IMO D'Antoni is just as bad as Brown, his offense is good, but he doesn't coach defense at all from what we've seen. It would be a lateral move if you ask me, he was run out of NY for a reason.

he got ran out of NY because of Melo and his ball stopping ways.
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:21 am

khmrP wrote:

he got ran out of NY because of Melo and his ball stopping ways.

Didn't it also have to do with Melo and Lin kind of splitting the team into what type of offense they should run and who the leader of the team was?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby nameant on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 am

I'd take D'Antoni over Brown any day of the week. We have defensive leaders that could lead the way to where I wouldn't worry about defense...and our offense would be unstoppable.
nameant

Postby BadCoaching on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:38 am

Bleh.. Pringles is terrible, although I'd rather him over Brown given them as the only choices.

JVG would be fine. Got tired of his mouth while announcing though.. and his constant doubts about the Lakers.
BadCoaching

Postby CarFlagChris on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:43 am

Lakeshow24 wrote:Pringles? :man10:

Does everybody really hate Potato head that much?? Are we that desperate at only 1-3??

Yes, but don't take it for me, take it from Kobe.

"Bryant echoed Gasol’s statement, saying that “everything is correctable.” But he got out a final bit of frustration when a reporter asked if the Lakers were “worried” by the slow start.

“I’m terrified. Are you serious with that?” Bryant said. “I’m shaking in my Nikes.”"

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby Congo Cash on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:08 am

At least Pringles won't play guys who can't shoot...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:50 am

I would take Sloan over Pringles.

1. Sloan had the greatest PnR tandem of all time ... imagine what he could do with Nash and Howard.

2. Sloan also uses a motion offense that I remember John Wooden said was a thing of beauty. I remember him saying that the way the Jazz played back then was how the game should be played.

3. Sloan always preaches defense and his teams are usually pretty good on that end.

4. Sloan managed an aging team very well especially at the PG position with John Stockton. He had good rotations and is good at game management.

5. Sloan would command instant respect. He's a throwback, which I think Kobe would like and respect.

6. I remember that Sloan always had Phil's respect. Phil thought he was a good coach and said it was a tragedy that Sloan had not won a CoY. Here's what Phil said when Sloan resigned:

"He was stubborn, you have to be as a coach. But he had a system and the system was effective. It’s not easy to have a team in Utah. It’s not the biggest draw in the country as far as free agents to go there. And they were able to have a really great home record, played the kind of basketball that was admirable. So we all had admiration for him as coaches around the league. So as a colleague, we’ll miss him."

Phil rarely praises opposing coaches. I remember when the Bulls played the Jazz in the finals, Phil never took jabs at Sloan.

Sloan would be a great fit for this team in my opinion. Forget the Pringles nonsense ... that would be Mike Brown 2.0 but on the offensive end.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby gill on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:53 am

Fry the potato we have right now and turn him into PRINGLES!!!
gill

Postby MC on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:00 am

Pringles is a bad idea guys...... his system with the age of this team would not have good long term results IMO.

The Lakers are right to introduce a read and react half court system but they are running the wrong one IMO. They should have swallowed their pride and seen if they could have gotten an assistant for the triangle and introduce more of it where majority of your core rotation already knows it! By going to a completely new system for almost everyone they are prolonging the painful process on offensive cohesion. Seems like the Buss family is biting of their nose to spite their face here in their dissatisfaction of the most successful offense in the last 25 years.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:05 am

Adelman would be my choice but the Wolves have him locked up. Wish we had the chance to sign him....oh wait...sigh :bang: :bang: :bang:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby 7cody on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:37 am

Pringles is even worse than Brown...
7cody

Postby OX1947 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:46 am

I agree, Sloan or bust. Sloan is exactly what this team needs.
OX1947

Postby karacha on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:16 am

7cody wrote:Pringles is even worse than Brown...

Never.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:24 am

Big Mamma Jamma wrote:I would take Sloan over Pringles.

1. Sloan had the greatest PnR tandem of all time ... imagine what he could do with Nash and Howard.

2. Sloan also uses a motion offense that I remember John Wooden said was a thing of beauty. I remember him saying that the way the Jazz played back then was how the game should be played.

3. Sloan always preaches defense and his teams are usually pretty good on that end.

4. Sloan managed an aging team very well especially at the PG position with John Stockton. He had good rotations and is good at game management.

5. Sloan would command instant respect. He's a throwback, which I think Kobe would like and respect.

6. I remember that Sloan always had Phil's respect. Phil thought he was a good coach and said it was a tragedy that Sloan had not won a CoY. Here's what Phil said when Sloan resigned:

"He was stubborn, you have to be as a coach. But he had a system and the system was effective. It’s not easy to have a team in Utah. It’s not the biggest draw in the country as far as free agents to go there. And they were able to have a really great home record, played the kind of basketball that was admirable. So we all had admiration for him as coaches around the league. So as a colleague, we’ll miss him."

Phil rarely praises opposing coaches. I remember when the Bulls played the Jazz in the finals, Phil never took jabs at Sloan.

Sloan would be a great fit for this team in my opinion. Forget the Pringles nonsense ... that would be Mike Brown 2.0 but on the offensive end.

^^ Beautifully written post Big Mamma Jamma. And I agree all the way. You've really articulated everything I've been thinking about in regards to why Sloan would be a great fit for this team.

This is a veteran team that needs a veteran coach. They need the most work on the defensive end, and they need a coach who can structure a simpler but effective offense tailored to their strengths. And most of all they need someone who they respect and will buy into as their head coach. Brown is not that guy any longer if he ever was to begin with.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:50 am

Well said BMJ.

The more I watch Brown and what he's done so far, the more I want Sloan. I still don't have any problem with the offense, but the rotations are literally so God awful that it's costing us games.

Not to mention our defense looks like total s***. Isn't that what Brown is supposed to be good for?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:29 am

therealdeal wrote:Well said BMJ.

The more I watch Brown and what he's done so far, the more I want Sloan. I still don't have any problem with the offense, but the rotations are literally so God awful that it's costing us games.

Not to mention our defense looks like total s***. Isn't that what Brown is supposed to be good for?

Sloan coaching Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant would just be phenomenal. It's what they deserve for their final years as players. Hall of Fame Coach for Hall of Fame players. One of the best who's ever coached the game for two guys who are absolutely two of the best of all time in the league. It's a match.

It's embarrassing and awful to watch these guys waste time with a coach who doesn't have a clue. It's offensive really.

Nash needs a guy he can follow. A coach who is deliberate and can tell him what he wants, not one that misuses him and puts the blame on him ("He can run pick and roll any time he wants").

Nash and Kobe at least deserve better than this. Much better. And we do too as Laker fans.

Deron Williams' fight with Sloan was mentioned here as some kind of detraction from the idea that Kobe, Nash, et. al will respect Sloan. To me that doesn't hold water. Williams is a headstrong young player who wanted to run things his way as PG of the team and Sloan being old school wouldn't put up with that. He felt it was time to go and let the team roll with Deron and company, but of course they dumped Deron.

With our veteran players - they know and respect Sloan deeply. Who doesn't? Williams himself was saddened and apologetic for his behavior IIRC. He was out of line.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:38 am

Sloan commands respect and he will make sure he gets it. I like the fact too that he will not cowtow to the press especially the controversy seeking individuals and baiters that follow the team.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:30 am

You guys remember A.T.G.R.O.S (anything to get rid of Smush)

well do the math with Mike Brown.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Sloan makes too much sense. The old legend alongwith with Nash and Dwight going for their first title. Kobe going for #6. Storybook stuff.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion