Quote about Shaquille and this summer

Quote about Shaquille and this summer

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat May 17, 2003 12:07 pm

From today's LA Times:

...O'Neal acknowledged there might be something to the regular season after all, and he has great conditioning plans for the summer. He will be driven, perhaps, by the loss, and by the realization that there might be something to November and December, and that if he shows up in shape, the club might be more inclined to consider a maximum extension...
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby clublakers on Sat May 17, 2003 1:16 pm

And Kupchak called out Shaq as well...

"Of course, Shaquille missing training camp is something that's been wildly talked about," Kupchak said. "I would hope and think that any of our players, any of our coaches, or anybody else in the organization that would contemplate taking the shortcut this summer is making a gross error or misjudgment. There will be a request of all the players to rededicate themselves, play in summer programs, attend conditioning sessions and that will apply to Shaquille as it will to all the players."

I for one don't think Shaq has the desire to put out the effort required to get himself into playing condition for the next season. I hope I'm wrong, but he's looking worse and worse every season next to Kobe.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat May 17, 2003 5:54 pm

Great!! Shaq finally saw the light! Dayam, too badd it takes an elimination to let him see whats really up, u know? But they all gotta rededicate themselves and try to go all the way again!
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Slayer Alstarx on Sat May 17, 2003 8:32 pm

C'mon y'all lighten up on the fatboy.
He came in the first year of PJ's reign fit as a fiddle, the next two off-seasons he had to deal with healing his injuries (abdomen one year, big toe the next).
After this offseason, when you see Shaq come back in shape ( and not round) you'll know that it wasn't a problem with dedication, it was a problem with physical injuries.
BTW, the one thing that he did work on in the off season paid off well, his free throwing percentage is way up over last year. The Hack-AShaq is officially dead!

I bet y'all forgot about the abdomen injury.
Slayer Alstarx

Postby clublakers on Sat May 17, 2003 11:07 pm

C'mon y'all lighten up on the fatboy.

I dunno Al... I think he took his time off and played his game, and now he pays the piper. "I'll be there when it counts" is what he said over and over again during the regular season. He must have been talking about the money from his contract extension, because he didn't bring anything to the table against the Spurs (outside of perhaps game 3).

Besides, we need a whipping boy during of off-season. LP has claimed Phil to himself, so we're all gonna have to share the Big Kempaneezie.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 18, 2003 11:56 am

Its funny how his play seems to tail off, at the same time his free-throw percentage is dramatically improving. Old age is going catching up to him. It happens to everyone, even Superman. Hopefully he can maintain both at high levels as long as possible.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun May 18, 2003 1:18 pm

WIth all due respect to Shawn Kemperneezee (that is my OFFICIAL NICKNAME) if he doesn't show up for TC in AT LEAST AS GOOD shape as he is right now, then we should tell him we won't extend him. We need to find a way to motivate him. I feel like losing was enough for him though...
Snakell Beast

Postby MIKEDOG on Sun May 18, 2003 8:38 pm

I think his conditioning will be the deciding factor in whether or not the Lakers sign him to that extension. If he comes in lean and mean I assume that the coaching staff is going to be fooled into pushing for the ext. I do not think losing will be enough for Shaq to push himself to the limit, I think it is going to come down to the $$$. Dont be suprised if he come in hungry and plays his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] of that he gets the $. But the ??? will be what will he be like in 2007...
MIKEDOG

Postby FirstLady on Sun May 18, 2003 9:57 pm

clublakers wrote:...."I would hope and think that any of our players, any of our coaches, or anybody else in the organization that would contemplate taking the shortcut this summer is making a gross error or misjudgment.

Mitch needs to heed his own words and make some much needed changes in the Lakers' roster! Image
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Mon May 19, 2003 1:47 pm

Shaq is at the prime of his life. He is only 30 years old!!! so his age is definitely NOT a factor. The question is his Desire, Dedication, Commitment and Hunger for the game. KOBE's has all that. I hope SHAQ finds something to motivate him seriously. Every year Shaq promises to come camp in shape but every year (except PJ's first year)
he is ROUNDER than ever. I wonder how big he will be this coming camp? 340? 350? 360? maybe 400lbs?.... His weight is was causes all these injuries especially the knees. I remember when his playing weight was 290. He was breaking back boards, sliding face first across the court over at ORLANDO. Shaq needs to get back down to 300-310 by training camp. :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

KOBE is the REAL MVP :bow:
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Guest on Mon May 19, 2003 1:49 pm

THANK YOU!
AND TO ALL THOSE IDIOTS THAT SAY TRADE SHAQ
YOURE [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] CRAZY

Postby Guest on Mon May 19, 2003 1:50 pm

shaquille is the MDE!

Postby SterlingBlueSatinGlow on Mon May 19, 2003 2:15 pm

I don't know guys. Shaq may not be showing it like Fisher or Kobe but I'm sure that this loss has really made him think about the future. Shaq's not done yet. He has a few more years left in him I think and like Kobe he doesn't like that way this loss made him feel. I think Shaq is really going to put in the effort and get back into shape.
SterlingBlueSatinGlow

Postby Guest on Mon May 19, 2003 2:25 pm

THANK YOU!
SHAQ OF COURSE AINT DONE

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 19, 2003 3:00 pm

No, but with another season on him and another year on his body, his level of play WILL decrease again next post season...
Snakell Beast

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon May 19, 2003 3:22 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:No, but with another season on him and another year on his body, his level of play WILL decrease again next post season...

As long as Shaq stays in shape he'll slowly decrease and not come to a sudden hault..
LakersGyrl2003

Postby SterlingBlueSatinGlow on Mon May 19, 2003 4:57 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:No, but with another season on him and another year on his body, his level of play WILL decrease again next post season...

Well sure he's going to slow down some. Everyone slows down as they age. Thats just life. If Shaq loses some of that weight though I think he'll be able to play for several more years.
SterlingBlueSatinGlow

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 19, 2003 8:18 pm

Yeah, he might, but I don't think he will. He won 3 in a row and I think he is content to get as much money as he can and then retire in two or three years collecting the big checks on the couch. We are screwed if we extend him, we need to unload him for a big player (or 3 to 4 good young players) while he is still viewed as MDE...
Snakell Beast

Return to Lakers Discussion