Ramon Sessions Discussion

Re: Ramon Sessions discussion thread

Postby gcclaker on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:31 am

LakerBoyz24 wrote:Honey moon phase tbh. I'm not convinced yet, but I know for sure he's a better PG than Blake. While everyone acts like Sessions is the greatest thing that happened to LA, I'm not going to ride on the Sessions bandwagon just to see it crash down. Laker fans acting like he's an all star. He's a solid PG, we know that.

But people are basing him off 2 games, and in those 2 games he is shooting lights out 6-9 and 7-8 in the last 2 games. That's 77%, no one shoots like that constantly. I'm thinking he's coming down to Earth soon and I hope Lakers fans won't rip on him when he's not shooting as good/they're not winning because he's a career 40%-45% FG shooter. Everyone knows that when you win/having career nights, everything's all good but when things get bad I'm betting you everyone will be pointing fingers, and one of the first fingers is gonna be pointed at Sessions. Don't flame me to much, I want Sessions to succeed but I look at things objectively. I may seem like a Sessions hater but until Sessions proves that he's a all-star, I'm just reminding everyone to not jump off their horses and that he's been a career average-at-best backup PG.

Of course... Sessions is an above average point guard that savvy basketball fans would not confuse with any of the elite ones. What he is though is a considerable upgrade to the elder Fisher who had trouble adjusting to a traditional offense and the game but now passive Blake. Sports fandom is a reactionary recreation so what you commented rings true. Bryant though has been on record stating that he is pleased with Sessions playmaking abilities. There will be valleys but I can bet that there will be more peaks.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chopper on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:39 am

people are excited because it is a missing piece to the team for so long.

No, people dont expect him to be a 20ppg scorer or shoot 75%. But his contributions is in running the plays, driving and dishing and taking good quality open shots when available. All of that is simple basic basketball and will pay off every game. Just the fact that the Lakers wont be scrambling to cover PGs blowing by Fisher every other play is a huge benefit to the defence and the energy saved by the bigs trying to cover.
Chopper

Postby gcclaker on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:42 am

Sessions tends to float on defense which can be a concern on some defensive stands BUT he does have the talent to close. Brown by some accounts have been on him about that side of the ball even enlisting the starting small forward to make sure he is reminded.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Spanish Assassin on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 am

Head Coach Mike Brown: "I'm going to start Sessions tonight."
according to the Lakers Twitter account :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
Spanish Assassin

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 am

Spanish Assassin wrote:

:jam2:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:00 pm

Spanish Assassin wrote:

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Re: Ramon Sessions discussion thread: (Starting PG - pg 30)

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Even if it was his plan all along, Brown makes himself look really stupid because just two games ago he said he doesn't see Sessions starting in the near future.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Spanish Assassin on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:16 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Even if it was his plan all along, Brown makes himself look really stupid because just two games ago he said he doesn't see Sessions starting in the near future.

or maybe he wanted to wait a few more games to see how he fit in with the starters before making such decisions
Spanish Assassin

Postby Psychobroker on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:17 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Even if it was his plan all along, Brown makes himself look really stupid because just two games ago he said he doesn't see Sessions starting in the near future.

or maybe Blake's horrid play changed his mind?
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:20 pm

I never really had a problem with Blake starting because I felt that Sessions and Barnes really helped the 2nd unit but I can now finally use this youtube video:

"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:20 pm

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby The Original 81 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Psychobroker wrote:

or maybe Blake's horrid play changed his mind?

Blake hasn't been very effective all year it's not like he played worse these last 2 games then he has over the season.

Sessions really should have started his first game available.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby khmrP on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:40 pm

I hope Potato head doens't restrict Sessions into playing into his offense, I'm no offensive genius but I'm pretty sure whatever Session was doing on the floor was more of read/react as oppose to executing "plays" from the O, whatever they maybe.
khmrP

Postby Alcindor on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:48 pm

near future = "The time between now and when I go in to watch tape of Blake's apathetic play"

khmrP wrote:I hope Potato head doens't restrict Sessions into playing into his offense, I'm no offensive genius but I'm pretty sure whatever Session was doing on the floor was more of read/react as oppose to executing "plays" from the O, whatever they maybe.

I think Super Mario, whatever the italian guy's name is, being used to euro point guards will help here to allow a lot of room for Ramon to create within the offense.
Alcindor

Postby GoldHammish on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:56 pm

GoldHammish

Postby Weezy on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Well that didn't take long. :mhihi: Considering that IMO he's at least twice as good as Blake it was only a matter of time.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:43 pm

:bow: He's more than deserving.

My favorite thing about Sessions is that he doesn't have an attitude.

He plays his game, does his thing, and executes. :jam2: :bow:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby XXIV on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Very deserving, lets hope he can continue this high level of play. Also, Blake should be able to perform better coming off the bench. :jam2:
XXIV

Postby gcclaker on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:06 pm

XXIV wrote:Very deserving, lets hope he can continue this high level of play. Also, Blake should be able to perform better coming off the bench. :jam2:

That's a possibility since he doesn't have to defer to any of the second string if he has the opportunity. Even if Sessions starts then Brown has to ensure Barnes receives adequate minutes with him. Those two have meshed together quite well on the floor.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:10 pm

The Lakers had Thursday off...Sessions was the only guy reporting to El Segundo to work with Snyder on the offensive sets. I hope Brown doesn't call plays and lets the PG do his thing.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:11 pm

I'm interested to see how Metta can play with him. Instead of standing outside waiting for a shot or trying to post, Metta needs to cut and get under the basket and play to his strengths, Sessions will find him and get him easy buckets.

I can't wait.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby gcclaker on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:15 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:I'm interested to see how Metta can play with him. Instead of standing outside waiting for a shot or trying to post, Metta needs to cut and get under the basket and play to his strengths, Sessions will find him and get him easy buckets.

I can't wait.

His strenght is taking whoever is covering him in the paint, sealing off and receiving a pass hopefully. Sessions can hit him with the pass. Him finishing is the question. Barnes on the other hand is quicker off the floor and could at least take it to the cup. Sessions though has worked the pick and roll with Gasol very well as they did in the Dallas victory.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:17 pm

Going to the game tonight. Gonna see Sessions 1st start upfront :jam2:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:18 pm

gcclaker wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:I'm interested to see how Metta can play with him. Instead of standing outside waiting for a shot or trying to post, Metta needs to cut and get under the basket and play to his strengths, Sessions will find him and get him easy buckets.

I can't wait.

His strenght is taking whoever is covering him in the paint, sealing off and receiving a pass hopefully. Sessions can hit him with the pass. Him finishing is the question. Barnes on the other hand is quicker off the floor and could at least take it to the cup. Sessions though has worked the pick and roll with Gasol very well as they did in the Dallas victory.

Exactly. Essentially, stay away from jumpers unless he's wide open.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby davriver290 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Its funny people saying hopefully Brown doesn't make sessions do set plays.... Does even have any to begin with? :man10:
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion