A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances (PLAYOFF POLL!)

What will be the outcome of the Lakers vs Spurs series?

Lakers in 4
4%
Lakers in 5
2%
Lakers in 6
44%
Lakers in 7
12%
Spurs in 4
8%
Spurs in 5
11%
Spurs in 6
14%
Spurs in 7
1%

Total votes : 70

Re: A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:24 am

Juronimo wrote:We're still tied in the loss column with Utah, which still means we're out of the playoffs race. We basically have to go 14-2 the rest of the way to ensure we make the playoffs.

No it doesn't. It means if Utah wins two more games then we're out of the 8th spot. But if we beat Golden State two times this season while posting the same record otherwise, we're in the playoffs regardless of Utah's play.

There's plenty of moving pieces still. We're nowhere near out of the playoffs though due to just Utah's loss total.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jodhus on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:29 am

History repeats itself right? I take great solace in the fact that the 94-95 Rockets have won it all as the 6th seed. I'd be a lot more nervous if we were the first ones attempting this.

So I researched the 94-95 Rockets season a little bit and compared it to our season.
There are plenty of reasons for us to get excited about making history once again.

First of all check out this Win Percentage progression that I've made comparing the two teams (current as of 3/18/2013)

Y Axis is the win PCT and X Axis is the Game #.

The Rockets started out HOT and played mediocre ball rest of the way. In fact, the Rockets played sub .500 ball after the allstar break. Our trend is the exact reciprocal of that. We started out cold and we are now playing .700 ball. In simple words- we have momentum and Houston didn't. They still won the championship.

On top of that- we control our own future in that as long as we beat GSW and HOU in the head to head match-ups we should take the 6th seed......

I think we can make history.
=======================================
Don't eat yellow snow
jodhus

Postby davriver290 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 am

^ Nice chart. Lakers just have to keep winning and continue to improve on defense... Keep others involved and scoring should be no issue. But we have to figure out our defensive schemes.... cause we are getting torched out there.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:39 am

Is Kobe ruled out for tonight? By all accounts there was never any real chance of him playing last night since he never even got the strength to test the waters during warmups (whether because of his injury or the flu), so Id be a bit surprised if he gives it a shot tonight.

Usually superstars are the ones who have to try and maintain and even compensate for the dip in production usually seen when role players play on the road.

Maybe the difference isnt that bad for this squad though, since its mostly veterans along with Clark and Meeks (who lately has been mostly weak, home or road game). Certainly should be noticeably better than before the all star break.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby jlkr on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:53 am

I ignore the wins when looking at the standings because not everyone has played the same number of games. The critical item to look at in the standings is the number of losses. On that point, Lakers are tied with UTA and UTA wins the tiebreaker so Lakers are behind UTA as far as I'm concerned.

Some of those other teams need to continue beating on each other while the Lakers take care of business.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:08 pm

That's a cool chart up there.

Another similarity between us and that Houston team, they had a dominant big man. I hope we get the 6th seed.

One thing to consider, did the West have any upsets that year besides Houston? Did Houston win the chip in spite of not having home court in any series? Or was there an upset somewhere that got them home court...
Chillbongo

Postby jodhus on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Chillbongo wrote:That's a cool chart up there.

Another similarity between us and that Houston team, they had a dominant big man. I hope we get the 6th seed.

One thing to consider, did the West have any upsets that year besides Houston? Did Houston win the chip in spite of not having home court in any series? Or was there an upset somewhere that got them home court...

Nope, no upsets. They were the only ones to beat four 50 win teams. Just straight up half-court basketball and Hakeem dominance in the middle. Swept Shaq@Orlando who had home court advantage in the finals.
=======================================
Don't eat yellow snow
jodhus

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:28 pm

As of now we technically control our own destiny as far as making the playoffs. The teams we're racing can say the same thing, but its a step in the right direction for us. A few weeks ago we definitely needed lots of help in the form of other teams beating our competitors to even get back into the playoff race.

Now it basically comes down to who can finish out the season the best.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Juronimo wrote:We're still tied in the loss column with Utah, which still means we're out of the playoffs race. We basically have to go 14-2 the rest of the way to ensure we make the playoffs.

Juronimo - somehow you've got your numbers a little skewed. We've only got 14 games left to play, so 14-2 isn't a possibility.

I think realistically we need to keep on the path we have been on: i.e. win 2 games to every 1 loss. If we can close this out the way we have been, we should go 9-5 and I think we will be in. That puts us at 45 wins. That ought to get us in.

Now if we can somehow manage to go a little ahead of the curve and finish it out at 10-4 that might just get us over the hump into the 6 spot. We shall see.

I think a lot depends on Kobe's and Pau's returns and how quickly the team and Gasol can adapt to playing together again.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:35 pm

i really want that 6th spot
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby jlkr on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:38 pm

6th is definitely in play though I would not count on it yet, but the Lakers do now control their own destiny with respect to making the playoffs. Something I wouldn't have dreamed of at the all-star break.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Lakers next 5:
@PHX
WSH
@GS
@MIN
@MIL

Utah next 5:
NYK
@HOU
@SAS
@DAL
PHI

Houston next 5:
UTA
CLE
SAS
IND
@MEM

Golden State next 5:
@NOH
@SAS
WSH
LAL
SAC

this is getting shoulder to shoulder folksss.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:24 pm

My semi hopeful projection

lakerfan2 wrote:Lakers next 5:
@PHX - W
WSH - W
@GS - W
@MIN - W
@MIL - L

Utah next 5:
NYK - W
@HOU - L
@SAS - L
@DAL - L
PHI - W

Houston next 5:
UTA - W
CLE - W
SAS - L
IND - W
@MEM - L

Golden State next 5:
@NOH - W
@SAS - L
WSH - W
LAL - L
SAC - W

this is getting shoulder to shoulder folksss.

If it ends up this way:

Lakers: 40-33
Jazz: 36-35
Rockets: 39-33
Warriors: 41-32
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:27 pm

We can go 5-0. Other than tonight, we have a back-to-back in MIL. I expect us to go 5-0 esp with Kobe/Pau.

Utah can go 3-2.

Houston can go 3-2.

GS can go 3-2 (we're going to get them in the Bay)

That puts us at 41-32, rtied for 6th with GS. We own the tiebreaker with GS, and after going 3-0 against them, we will own the 6th spot.

Lets all be Spurs fans for the next 7 days :jam2:

Hopefully:

LA: 41-32
GS: 41-32
HOU: 39-33
UTA: 37-34
Chillbongo

Postby noobiew on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:23 pm

Let go pray that Jazz lose tonight now, but they are playing in Salt Lake City against a injury riddled Knicks team, not looking good for the Knicks.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 pm

Again, unfortunate but not unforeseen loss tonight. We all know the reasons why. Now they just need to put this one behind them and focus on getting two wins - Wiz on Friday and then a tough game against GS.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby RushDelivery on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Hopefully Utah loses tonight, and the Lakers manage to go on a winning streak to take command of the 8th seed. Right now the Lakers have to rely on the teams in front of them to lose, and that's never a good position to be in.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Utah is down, might lose tonight, and they will probably lose their next two games in Houston and San Antonio.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Legendary on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:02 pm

NY trying to do us a favor.

I can sleep easier if they pull off this win.
Legendary

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:06 pm

There you go. Everything is OK now. And Utah will now lose at least one, if not both games this week. Just watch. We'll solidify our position without actually doing anything.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 pm

karacha wrote:There you go. Everything is OK now. And Utah will now lose at least one, if not both games this week. Just watch. We'll solidify our position without actually doing anything.

You just explained 75% of America.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby jOeyB7000 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Knicks up by 6 with 30 seconds left... If they can hang on it will make tonight's loss easier to swallow.
Last edited by jOeyB7000 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jOeyB7000

Postby escobar8 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:08 pm

thank you ny...
escobar8

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
karacha wrote:There you go. Everything is OK now. And Utah will now lose at least one, if not both games this week. Just watch. We'll solidify our position without actually doing anything.

You just explained 75% of America.

Isn't that wonderful? :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Kurt Thomas !!!!!!!!!!
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion