A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances (PLAYOFF POLL!)

What will be the outcome of the Lakers vs Spurs series?

Lakers in 4
4%
Lakers in 5
2%
Lakers in 6
44%
Lakers in 7
12%
Spurs in 4
8%
Spurs in 5
11%
Spurs in 6
14%
Spurs in 7
1%

Total votes : 70

Re: A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 pm

If we have to make playoff based on other team losing while we lose too I wont hold my breath in hopes of an upset. ..we gona get smoked by sa/okc
khmrP

Postby Legendary on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Sing it...

Who'd have thought we'd be so happy to hang on to the 8 seed. :man10: :jam2:
Legendary

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:10 pm

khmrP wrote:If we have to make playoff based on other team losing while we lose too I wont hold my breath in hopes of an upset. ..we gona get smoked by sa/okc

Let's just make the playoffs right now, then we'll see what can be done in the first round. I mean... we have to be realistic here.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:12 pm

There is no reason we shouldn't go 4-1 to close out March. I'm already putting an L at Milwaukee (B2B), but the rest of the games we should/need to win.

If we get Kobe/Pau back for that stretch, we can go 5-0, with the Mamba carrying us for that B2B.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 pm

karacha wrote:
khmrP wrote:If we have to make playoff based on other team losing while we lose too I wont hold my breath in hopes of an upset. ..we gona get smoked by sa/okc

Let's just make the playoffs right now, then we'll see what can be done in the first round. I mean... we have to be realistic here.

I understand. ..I did say IF that's how we gona make the playoffs. ..they could go in hot too but if we losing on our way in dont think we have much chance against either sa/okc
khmrP

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:35 pm

Making the playoffs is the realistic goal ... to prevent the worst embarassment in NBA history .

We are a 1st round exit ... we can't realistically expect more with the way this season has gone and our poor D

I would be "excited " as a fan for the playoffs though ... as long as we don't face OKC ... this is a guaranteed 4-5 games exit
wcsoldier81

Postby Legendary on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 pm

If we get into the playoffs, anything is possible.

We had a temporary setback with the Kobe injury, but we were building momentum and team cohesion up to that point. All things considered, when Kobe returns (and we get Pau back)...we should be peaking going into the playoffs. And that's the ideal scenario.
Legendary

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:06 pm

^^^^ our D not being good and consistent enough is possible over anything else
wcsoldier81

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:16 am

Boy did we dodge a bullet tonight....this could have really set us back if Jazz won tonight....imagine that....and the Jazz have a tougher schedule to end as they will go on the road against Houston, San Antonio and Dallas...and then they still got @POR and BKN at home (who have been playing a lot better lately and it's DWILL'S return to UTAH). I say they lose at least 4 more games while we'll at most lose 2 more games the rest of the month. The real test will be April...lots of home games against some damn good teams....I'm not worried but I did NOT like that loss @PHX tonight...i guess it negates our win over Indiana, a game we probably shouldn't have won...so we're actually right where I thought we'd be in terms of my projections...
FabFourLakers

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:33 am

^^ We really did dodge a bullet FabFour - I thought the Jazz beating a hobbled NYC in their house was a given. Whew.

I had that sneaking suspicion that we might lose last night. Goes to show, we really need our full squad in order to do anything. Got to get Kobe and Pau back by the next road trip. We will need them.

That game against GS in their house is going to be a huge one. Basically if we lose that game the chance for the 6th slot is over. If we can beat them up there the 6th spot will still be alive. They are 3 games up on us now with 2 left against them head to head.

I really hope both of these guys can play that first game against them and are healthy enough to play through the rest of that road trip.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby denimPortugal on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:41 am

Thank god Knicks won!
Seems to me that the better we can get is 7th seed!
denimPortugal

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:29 am

denimPortugal wrote:Thank god Knicks won!
Seems to me that the better we can get is 7th seed!

^^ Most likely. Although if we win both of our upcoming head to head games against Golden State I think we still have a chance.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:52 am

Freakin San Antonio better not tank tomorrow vs Golden State. Interesting that San Antonio will face the other 7 West playoff teams over next 3 weeks, wonder who'll they pick to tank against and who to challenge full strength, you dont want your team to lose confidence to good teams and the other teams to have track record of success over you

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby jimbo327 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Lakers next 5:
@PHX - L
WSH - L
@GS - L
@MIN - W
@MIL - W

Utah next 5:
NYK - L
@HOU - L
@SAS - L
@DAL - L
PHI - W

It's going to come down between us and Jazz. We are not going to catch Rockets or GS.

It's going to be who is going to suck less, and I think Jazz will suck just a little bit more than us.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby Weezy on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:10 pm

^^^ You have us losing at home to the Wizards on 3 days rest? Not sure about that, I'd be more concerned about the games IN Minnesota and Milwaukee than that game.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:17 pm

jimbo327 wrote:Lakers next 5:
@PHX - L
WSH - L
@GS - L
@MIN - W
@MIL - W

Utah next 5:
NYK - L
@HOU - L
@SAS - L
@DAL - L
PHI - W

It's going to come down between us and Jazz. We are not going to catch Rockets or GS.

It's going to be who is going to suck less, and I think Jazz will suck just a little bit more than us.

Dude what?

You have us losing to the Wizards... And then you say we're not going to catch the Rockets or the Warriors... It's up to who sucks less..

Um.. We play both those teams and especially against Golden State we have the opportunity to pass them without any other obligations if we beat them twice. It's not about who sucks less between us and Utah at all.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:40 pm

jimbo327 wrote:Lakers next 5:
@PHX - L
WSH - L
@GS - L
@MIN - W
@MIL - W

Utah next 5:
NYK - L
@HOU - L
@SAS - L
@DAL - L
PHI - W

I'm guessing that L you put for Washington in our house must be a mistake right? If that's the case then you have us going 4-1 over the next 5 and Utah going 1 and 4. I don't disagree with that. But that would mean Utah sucks a LOT more than us going forward, not just a little bit.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:13 pm

I think we're right where i expected us to be...we shouldn't have won the Indiana game on the road...so that phoenix loss just puts us back at even....but now these next 5 games, we HAVE to go 4-1...we cannot go 3-2....and the crucial game is the GS game. But hopefully both Pau AND Kobe are back by Friday, or at the VERY LEAST, they're back by next Monday against GS. The Jazz still have a brutal schedule...

@HOU
@SAS
@DAL
PHI (b2b)
PHX
@POR
BKN (b2b, and DWILL's first game back in Utah)

I got Utah going 3-4 over this 7 game stretch....possibly even 2-5...
FabFourLakers

Postby karacha on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:16 pm

We're not losing against Washington.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Washington has actually improved quite a bit after a HORRIBLE start (like 6-28), I think they have gone 19-15 since then. And they are the 5th best defensive team in the league

But they're still the worst road team in the league at 5-26, so we can't lose to them.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:33 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Washington has actually improved quite a bit after a HORRIBLE start (like 6-28), I think they have gone 19-15 since then. And they are the 5th best defensive team in the league

But they're still the worst road team in the league at 5-26, so we can't lose to them.

Yeah much like Jared Dudley said...well we're not making the playoffs, might as well BEAT THE LAKERS. It really doesn't matter what record we have...teams are ALWAYS gonna play their BEST against the Lakers...because nobody gives a crap about the Warriors, Rockets, Jazz, Clippers, Grizzlies, or Nuggets when they come into town.
FabFourLakers

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Oh didnt even get to my point....the point is...Washington is gonna play their best game against us on Friday, esp since its their ONLY trip to LA, and they have been playin much better as of late thanks to John Wall. Their record is grossly misleading...as they are probably just as good as a team like the Milwaukee Bucks had they been healthy from the jump...
FabFourLakers

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:36 pm

we wont win all of the games we're supposed to, but we'll still be better than Utah down the stretch. i anticipate an 8th seed, against SA or OKC. We dont want Denver with HC over us, or the Clipps who will out energize us down the stretch.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby RushDelivery on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 pm

The 8th seed is a realistic goal since it means having just one fewer loss than Utah for the reason of the season which is entirely possible.

The 7th and 6th seeds are only possible if the Lakers win their remaining 3 games against Houston and Golden State, and then on top of that they would need one fewer loss in all of the other games in order to pass them in the standings. That's more difficult but still possible.

It's not a great position to have to depend on the teams ahead of you to lose a game for you to control your own destiny, but that's the way it stands right now. The Lakers needs to make sure to win every game from here on out that they are supposed to win, or else they could find themselves settling for the 8th seed or perhaps missing the playoffs entirely.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:32 pm

RushDelivery wrote:The 8th seed is a realistic goal since it means having just one fewer loss than Utah for the reason of the season which is entirely possible.

The 7th and 6th seeds are only possible if the Lakers win their remaining 3 games against Houston and Golden State, and then on top of that they would need one fewer loss in all of the other games in order to pass them in the standings. That's more difficult but still possible.

It's not a great position to have to depend on the teams ahead of you to lose a game for you to control your own destiny, but that's the way it stands right now. The Lakers needs to make sure to win every game from here on out that they are supposed to win, or else they could find themselves settling for the 8th seed or perhaps missing the playoffs entirely.

If they BEAT houston and gs (twice), they will only have to TIE those 2 teams in the loss column to get 6th seed, because they will own the tiebreaker against Houston (assuming better conference record) and GS (4-0 series against them this year)...however, if they want 8th seed, they need to have one less loss than the Utah Jazz because utah owns the tiebreaker against us.
FabFourLakers

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion