A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances (PLAYOFF POLL!)

What will be the outcome of the Lakers vs Spurs series?

Lakers in 4
4%
Lakers in 5
2%
Lakers in 6
44%
Lakers in 7
12%
Spurs in 4
8%
Spurs in 5
11%
Spurs in 6
14%
Spurs in 7
1%

Total votes : 70

Re: A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances

Postby karacha on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Portland lost. Utah will most likely lose tomorrow. Although, if they beat Houston... that's not too bad either.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby jimbo327 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:52 pm

John Wall was named Player of the Week. And Washington has improved quite a bit after Wall returned. And he has the speed to expose our lack of speed. There is no way Blake or Nash can keep up with that speed. And we don't have Kobe to counter that because he is still nursing a nasty ankle sprain.

I know most people this Washington is bad, but they are streaky. They are very similar to the Phoenix suns, and we just lost to them by double digit.

So yes, I stick with my projections, we win the last few games because Kobe gets back to healthy and wills the Lakers to victory. Of course, if Washington comes out cold, then its over. They don't play any defense. But if we come out cold again like in Phoenix, and they come out running/gunning...we are in trouble. And if they can make D12 play 10 feet out, and not let him catch too close to the basket...it is very hard for Lakers to score right now. We are depending on Meeks and Jamison, and not sure if they can put up the numbers.

That's reality.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Its actually quite the opposite with the Wizards. Washington has developed into a very solid defensive squad this season, they just cant score the basketball. They stole one of Pop's assistants (and their coach is defensive mined as well). They kinda remind me of the current Bulls and Pacers squads, except with alot more losses.

I still expect us to be effective on offense though, and they are a pretty bad road team as well. Our defense isn't exactly elite though, and scrubs/scrub-teams always seem to find their touch vs the Lakers.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 am

Washington is the worst road team in the league. That hasn't changed.

We should win this game easily. I understand they're not as bad as their record, but when their record is among the worst in the league, they shouldn't be.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:09 am

jimbo327 wrote:John Wall was named Player of the Week. And Washington has improved quite a bit after Wall returned. And he has the speed to expose our lack of speed. There is no way Blake or Nash can keep up with that speed. And we don't have Kobe to counter that because he is still nursing a nasty ankle sprain.

I know most people this Washington is bad, but they are streaky. They are very similar to the Phoenix suns, and we just lost to them by double digit.

So yes, I stick with my projections, we win the last few games because Kobe gets back to healthy and wills the Lakers to victory. Of course, if Washington comes out cold, then its over. They don't play any defense. But if we come out cold again like in Phoenix, and they come out running/gunning...we are in trouble. And if they can make D12 play 10 feet out, and not let him catch too close to the basket...it is very hard for Lakers to score right now. We are depending on Meeks and Jamison, and not sure if they can put up the numbers.

That's reality.

^^ Thanks for the explanation Jimbo. Makes sense now. I won't agree that you're right or say you're wrong because of course we don't know what will happen until it happens. But I do appreciate hearing your opinion as to why you think Washington will beat us at home.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:45 pm

I'll still be rooting for the Lakers. But the reality is that 2 of our key guys are injured, and that makes us very weak right now. If Jamison and Meeks are not hitting those 3 point shots, we don't have much scoring because D12 is not really running the Pick and Roll right. He'll set a screen, and he doesn't cut to the basket hard at all. He'll slowly roll to the basket, and Nash needs a good solid cut to the basket to be very effective. So we resort to kicking it out to Jamison and Meeks and MWP at the 3 pt line. They knock those 3's down, we look great. If they are cold, we look terrible like in Phoenix. So we live by the 3, and die by the 3 now.

Kobe is trying to rush back, but not really sure how effective he will be. He did say it was the worst sprain he has had, so I know he wants to suit up and be a warrior, but it doesn't help anyone if it get injured again. Pau...well...he's still soft, and he hasn't played in a long time...I think he'll be slow and out of shape for a small while.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:Its actually quite the opposite with the Wizards. Washington has developed into a very solid defensive squad this season, they just cant score the basketball. They stole one of Pop's assistants (and their coach is defensive mined as well). They kinda remind me of the current Bulls and Pacers squads, except with alot more losses.

I still expect us to be effective on offense though, and they are a pretty bad road team as well. Our defense isn't exactly elite though, and scrubs/scrub-teams always seem to find their touch vs the Lakers.

Their defense is improved for sure. They have a bunch of workers on defense. Emeka, Ariza, Nene. They are just undersized to become elite defenders.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby karacha on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:52 pm

HOU-UTA. Houston seems to be winning this easily. Up by 20 now, Harden is unstoppable and Utah sucks on the road.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:12 pm

karacha wrote:HOU-UTA. Houston seems to be winning this easily. Up by 20 now, Harden is unstoppable and Utah sucks on the road.

I'll take it....we need some help after that pathetic Phoenix loss....we'll take care of Houston last game of the season.
FabFourLakers

Postby Finwë on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 pm

Nice job Spurs
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Seems like we'll have to finish either 6 or 8 ..
wcsoldier81

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:37 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:Seems like we'll have to finish either 6 or 8 ..

Actually there's a legit chance that the THUNDER could slip to 3....the Grizzlies are only 2 games back in the loss column and both nuggets and clippers are 3 games back in the loss column....the 2nd seed is very much up for grabs if OKC continues to struggle....that's why I'm beginning to think it really doesn't matter where we end up...just play the games and go from there. OKC could be 2 or 3, so we need to just play it out....if Memphis ends with 2, then we may just luck out after all and draw a favorable match up even if we end with the 7 seed
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:02 am

Actually I'm just seeing the West kind of dissolving right now. OKC loses to Denver. Clippers lose to Sacramento. I think San Antonio struggled against a bad opponent recently and Memphis has been streaky. Those are the top 4 teams and there's cracks in all of their armors.

I'm not exactly LOOKING for OKC or for Denver in the first round. But I think the West is proving to be flighty and unpredictable.

FabFour is right. If we can get our s*** together, we can beat any of these teams in a series. It's just on us to get the job done.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:09 am

^^ I still do not like our chances against OKC, especially in the first round with not much time for our team to gel. But it's true, let's just get in and see what kind of noise we can make.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 am

Lakerjones wrote:^^ I still do not like our chances against OKC, especially in the first round with not much time for our team to gel. But it's true, let's just get in and see what kind of noise we can make.

I definitely don't LIKE the match-up. I just think there's a slim opportunity there for us. We'd have to really rely on Gasol I think in an odd way. Or Howard. Whichever big is the one that we run our offense through on the bench. Kobe will do what he does and Dwight will do what he does, but we need Nash and Gasol to give us that extra twist.

We've beaten them once this season and we did it by slowing the game down and allowing Kobe to run the show. It was one of the few games where we actually effectively controlled the tempo. With Dwight feeling better, we might be able to do that again a few more times.

The problems though... the chances are slim we could do that, we'd have to win in OKC and that's extremely difficult for our team, and even if we somehow managed to do it we'd be exhausted by round 2.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Im beginning to think that the Clippers might be the best match up for us....but i won't be convinced until that April 7th game....if we beat the Clippers convincingly that game, I will start to believe we can beat them simply because all the games will be in LA and essentially, Clipper home games are Laker home games. That could be our best shot at gettting out of the first round...but then again, the CLipppers have been struggling, and it's hard to believe after all the hype and winning they had earlier int he year, that they could potentially end up without homecourt in the first round. I know it says the Clippers are 4th but if the 5th seed ends with a better record, the Clippers will not get HCA (which is the case right now with Denver).

But we really just need to keep on winning....don't worry about the seeding too much...I know OKC is a bad match up...but they also haven't proven that they can win without Harden in the playoffs. Kevin Martin has been terrible for half the season now....he started out hot but he has come back down to earth. i really think that OKC also relies way too much on jumpers...

I'm curious to see how our big 4 plays with each other now during this final stretch...kinda reminds me of 2004 when our big 4 finally got healthy towards the end of the season and they had a double OT win over the magic en route to 10 straight victories (somebody help me out here, i remember the Lakers going on some streak to end the season, culminating in Kobe's ridiculous OT 3's over the Blazers to nab the 2nd seed)
FabFourLakers

Postby gcclaker on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:43 pm

^Clippers dazzled early on but now their main bench player being Crawford is dealing with a nagging ankle injury. Their toughness and physicality last year is gone without Martin and Evans. Griffin and Jordan can't hide behind those two this season. Their perimeter defense has been a sieve with three point shooters going off on them on top it all.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby hustle71 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Our chances are great. We are getting healthier all the time. Howard is starting to control the middle and is only going to get better. Kobe has been great and will be even better in the playoffs. Nash will be at another level come playoff time, he wants a ring bad. Pau has just enough time to get his conditioning back and despite all the bashing he is a good player. Clark will get better because he will be able to play less minutes. Hopefully MWP will not knock anyone out and get suspended. Defense is about effort and our effort on defense will pick up in the playoffs. Playoff basketball is generally played at a slower pace. MD is an experienced playoff coach and we have good assistant coaches. I might lose a few of you on that one but it is true. If you start to lose confidence in our team look in a mirror and growl... remember we are the Lakers!
hustle71

Postby nthydro on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:20 pm

I think this would make for an entertaining first round in West:

(1 vs 8) Spurs vs Lakers (our biggest rivals of the last decade)
(2 vs 7) Thunders vs Rockets (Harden vs his old team)
(3 vs 6) Nuggets vs Warriors (both are young, streaky, run-and-gun teams)
(4 vs 5) Grizzlies vs Clippers (rematch of that epic series last year)
nthydro

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:28 pm

nthydro wrote:I think this would make for an entertaining first round in West:

(1 vs 8) Spurs vs Lakers (our biggest rivals of the last decade)
(2 vs 7) Thunders vs Rockets (Harden vs his old team)
(3 vs 6) Nuggets vs Warriors (both are young, streaky, run-and-gun teams)
(4 vs 5) Grizzlies vs Clippers (rematch of that epic series last year)

I sort of agree, but would rather see the Clippers - Nuggest play a best of 7 series. Now that's would be exciting and fast paced.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:02 am

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 9m
Spurs guard Tony Parker (Grade 2 left ankle sprain) will be active and probable to play tonight versus the Jazz.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Good news for us. Bad news for Utah.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:02 am

Cool. Hopefully he starts healing up in time to smash on the Heat. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:22 am

Glad Parker is back for our sake. We can get more separation from Utah if we win and the Spurs beat Utah, obviously. Let's just get this win tonight...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby TheOp on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Good news so that Utah can fall another game back after tonight. All we need is to lock up that 8 seed, once we do that we can rest everyone until the playoffs. Once the Spurs take the 1 seed for sure, we dont have to try moving up.

It will be so interesting to see if they tank though, I wouldnt be surprised if they try to avoid us. I can just imagine Pop complaining after the series is over about how the playoff system is messed up since he had to face the Lakers in round 1. :man10:
TheOp

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Even if we get the 8th seed on lock, we should try to win every game. We haven't had any consistency or momentum this season. I'd like to see us win 8/10 going into the Playoffs.
Chillbongo

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion