A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances (PLAYOFF POLL!)

What will be the outcome of the Lakers vs Spurs series?

Lakers in 4
4%
Lakers in 5
2%
Lakers in 6
44%
Lakers in 7
12%
Spurs in 4
8%
Spurs in 5
11%
Spurs in 6
14%
Spurs in 7
1%

Total votes : 70

Re: A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:04 pm

ill believe in this team of they beat the nuggets rockets and spurs as a team
Ariza3

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:48 pm

6th seed with Memphis or SA in the 1st round.. I think we'll be good as long as we avoid OKC. If we see them before the WCF we're toast.
lakersin4

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:56 pm

Best case scenario right now is we barely make the playoffs/1st round exit ...

I saw the other day we have the 2nd toughest schedule remaining in the entire league according to some guy graphic ( whether it is accurate or not , Jan/Feb are tough schedule wise).

As of now , it doesn't look like we will comfortably go into the playoffs , we'll have to fight hard for it ... "inferior" teams like Houston or Portland ( wins at NY, Memphis and Wolves :man3: ) seem more playoffs legit than I thought
wcsoldier81

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:41 am

It amazes me that most people are expecting the Lakers to miss the playoffs, not that it's far fetched, but it just goes to show how terrible they are playing.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby kobebryant248 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:50 am

blah blah blah stop complainig. i say lakers make the playoffs 5th or 6th seed . i don t like that attitude of so much so called fans here. there is along way to go and lakers will still figure it out. by the way all of you experts nash played just his 6th full game for lakers . so it s no whonder that we still have to figure it out espicially against a very very good team like sorry for saying the clippers. i say we beat denver, houston and san antonio. and then we will see.but write them off in early january is just pathetic.remeber all of these so called fans jumping for joy as lakers beat the warriors and knicks and everybody was saying yeah that s the team but now lakers lost some games everybody again complaining and whining.i can t stand that :bang: :mad1: :mad1:
kobebryant248

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:54 am

Well we already have six bad losses after 32 games in the most friendly part of our schedule ...

At home :Dallas, Indiana, Orlando, Utah , Philly

On the road : Cleveland .

Our team should be 21-11 right now , regardless of the injuries , chemistry issues , coach change ect ...

It's obvious our team sucks and we can't really use any valid excuses to justify our poor record
wcsoldier81

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:04 am

kobebryant248 wrote:blah blah blah stop complainig. i say lakers make the playoffs 5th or 6th seed . i don t like that attitude of so much so called fans here. there is along way to go and lakers will still figure it out. by the way all of you experts nash played just his 6th full game for lakers . so it s no whonder that we still have to figure it out espicially against a very very good team like sorry for saying the clippers. i say we beat denver, houston and san antonio. and then we will see.but write them off in early january is just pathetic.remeber all of these so called fans jumping for joy as lakers beat the warriors and knicks and everybody was saying yeah that s the team but now lakers lost some games everybody again complaining and whining.i can t stand that :bang: :mad1: :mad1:

Your act is beyond tired. Have you ever made a post without the phrase "so called fans" in it?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ar[C]heZ!A on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:09 am

kobebryant248 wrote:blah blah blah stop complainig. i say lakers make the playoffs 5th or 6th seed . i don t like that attitude of so much so called fans here. there is along way to go and lakers will still figure it out. by the way all of you experts nash played just his 6th full game for lakers . so it s no whonder that we still have to figure it out espicially against a very very good team like sorry for saying the clippers. i say we beat denver, houston and san antonio. and then we will see.but write them off in early january is just pathetic.remeber all of these so called fans jumping for joy as lakers beat the warriors and knicks and everybody was saying yeah that s the team but now lakers lost some games everybody again complaining and whining.i can t stand that :bang: :mad1: :mad1:

Getting 5th seed is almost impossible. We will need 52-53 wins for that seed and that means we gotta go 38-12 after this point. And we didn't even started to play good consistently. Again, that's almost impossible.

And your posts almost always seemed to me like:
... so called fans ...
... pathetic ...
... :bang: :mad1: :mad1:

I know you're not particularly pointing somebody out but that's a bit irritating..
Ar[C]heZ!A

Postby 432J on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:20 am

what happened to 73-9? :man10:

45-37 sounds right. 42-40 sounds right too. i say anywhere from the 6-8 seed and a first round exit
432J

Postby kobebryant248 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:23 am

Ar[C]heZ!A wrote:

Getting 5th seed is almost impossible. We will need 52-53 wins for that seed and that means we gotta go 38-12 after this point. And we didn't even started to play good consistently. Again, that's almost impossible.

And your posts almost always seemed to me like:
... so called fans ...
... pathetic ...
... :bang: :mad1: :mad1:

I know you're not particularly pointing somebody out but that's a bit irritating..

first. i start with so called because there are many haters and doubters here in the forum and they mostly wait till lakers loose so they can put s... over the team and espicially kobe bryant. i know here are also many real fans and i don t call them out. and 2nd yeah the 5th seed seems to be a big task and a tall order but the 6th seed at least is not such a tall order only 3 games behind houston in the win column and we face them 2 more times one at home and one on tuesday plus the fact not every team has such a great pg like clippers have in ch. paul on friday.

so once again. i say we will make the playoffs at least 6th seed and then we will see
kobebryant248

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:22 am

Aaaaaand there it is
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:37 am

we aren't winning it this year. but i believe next year, with dwight kobe nash still here plus maybe some new better role players, we'll win it.

this year it aint happening though. not enough time left. too many changes, injuries, and too deep of a whole dug
Ariza3

Postby kobebryant248 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:38 am

Ariza3 wrote:we aren't winning it this year. but i believe next year, with dwight kobe nash still here plus maybe some new better role players, we'll win it.

this year it aint happening though. not enough time left. too many changes, injuries, and too deep of a whole dug

to early to call them out or done. we will see
kobebryant248

Postby kobebryant248 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:43 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:

Aaaaaand there it is

yeah there it is just for you :freak2:
kobebryant248

Postby MC on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 am

This team will be better by April if they don't have anymore set backs injury wise or another bone headed FO panic decision......

Not good enough to make a real legitimate push but good enough by the end of the year to have hopes up and a second round war with someone and possibly a brighter 2013-14 outlook.

The key is this FO has to show what they have never really shown these last 2 years......... patience. Let this play out and don't go and panic and screw up all the leverage we have going into 2015. You might find your present and future outlook is much better than it looks right this second.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby sina on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:28 am

Frankly speaking, the chance we win it all this year is very slim. It would be a tough year for the Lakers. We added many new players in the offseason, including 2 major starters in Dwight and Steve. We need time to build up chemistry. However, we changed head coach after the season began and shift to a entirely different system, a PG oriented system. Then our starting PG, the only player knows this system, missed 20+ games because of injury. Then our back up PG is also out. It's about 50 games remained while Nash returned. And our 2 starting bigs are still not 100%. We're still learning ABC of MDA's system now. However, at this time of the season, most of the teams, especially the elite teams, have already finished their 1st phase work in offense and defense. We are not on the same page with other teams. It's neither the fault of the coach nor the players. As great as Phil, he needed his assistant coaches and players who know his system in Ron Harper & Grant, Fisher in his 1st and 2nd days with Lakers. I think Mitch has to get players and assistant coaches who are familar with MDA's system for this team asap. I'm just afraid we don't have time to catch up other elite teams this year.
sina

Postby sina on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:40 am

Frankly speaking, the chance we win it all this year is very slim. It would be a tough year for the Lakers. We added many new players in the offseason, including 2 major starters in Dwight and Steve. We need time to build up chemistry. However, we changed head coach after the season began and shift to a entirely different system, a PG oriented system. Then our starting PG, the only player knows this system, missed 20+ games because of injury. Then our back up PG is also out. It's about 50 games remained while Nash returned. And our 2 starting bigs are still not 100%. We're still learning ABC of MDA's system now. However, at this time of the season, most of the teams, especially the elite teams, have already finished their 1st phase work in offense and defense. We are not on the same page with other teams. It's neither the fault of the coach nor the players. As great as Phil, he needed his assistant coaches and players who know his system in Ron Harper & Grant, Fisher in his 1st and 2nd days with Lakers. I think Mitch has to get players and assistant coaches who are familar with MDA's system for this team asap. I'm just afraid we don't have time to catch up other elite teams this year.
sina

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:01 am

Things look bleak at the moment, but looking at all the talent on this team I still have a hard time seeing the Lakers miss the playoffs. Once you get there I believe with guys like Dwight, Kobe, and Nash anything can happen. I forgot who it was, but somebody compared the current Lakers to the 1995 Rockets. Mediocre regular season, but got the sixth seed in the West, got hot, made a run, and repeated as champs.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby MC on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:32 am

sina - get all the assistants MDA wants....... still doesn't change the fact the roster doesn't match what his strengths would be as a coach or what the philosophy ( how flawed it is) he feels is more efficient basketball.

The problem is trying to use an old team that is built around size and asking it to play small ball... not only pace but how the chess pieces are used within the context of possessions. This team is built like it's a post dominant team (not only the bigs...guys like Bryant and Artest can operate there too) with decent mid range players...... not spacers/ spot up shooters to run 2 man player action. Doesn't matter how MDA goes about his philosophy here, this team is not designed for it. They are designed for something like the Princeton or Triple Post offense that uses lots of player movement, screens and weak side off ball action, controls pace, and allows you to win the game on the defensive end of the floor. By hiring an offensive minded, euro style of play type of coach they have gone completely against the grain and what it seemed like they were building in the off season.

The FO basically went bi-polar on us......

amassed talent
fired coach
took a 180 u-turn in philosophy from where they started in the off-season(Princeton to small ball type of offense)
Hire MDA..... the so called genius with talent built to play a totally different style of play
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:43 am

this should have been another vote option.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby sina on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:58 am

Agree with you, MC. This team doesn't fit we'll in MDA's small ball system. It takes time to adjust, both MDA and the players. With Nash back n directing offense, I really hope the Lakers could speed up their learning process in the new offense system. Defense system is another problem has to be solved. With Dwight, MWP n Kobe,we are expected to play better defense.
sina

Postby sina on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:58 am

Agree with you, MC. This team doesn't fit we'll in MDA's small ball system. It takes time to adjust, both MDA and the players. With Nash back n directing offense, I really hope the Lakers could speed up their learning process in the new offense system. Defense system is another problem has to be solved. With Dwight, MWP n Kobe,we are expected to play better defense.
sina

Postby sina on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 am

It is good to see Kobe playing well with Nash. If one more player could step up n play well with these duo, our offense could be more consistent.
sina

Postby Finwë on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:13 pm

I voted "2nd round exit", though I wouldn't bet ANY money in us making the playoffs.

There's something I do want to point out though: making the playoffs would require the team really stepping up their game, consistently playing better basketball. If that happens and we do make the playoffs, then our perspective of the team's potential chances would've changed, because they would've shown that they are able to play consistently good basketball, and thus would be closer to being a "contender" than what they are now.

CP3, when he was on the Hornets, would say "just get us to the playoffs", indicating that once they got there they could compete. Of course, things didn't really turn out well for CP3 :man10: , but still, I share a similar sentiment.
I feel that IF we can make the playoffs, then we could go far, because of what making the playoffs at this point entails: playing consistent quality ball.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:14 pm

Its almost as if making the playoffs is the best possible thing that could happen. I just don't see this team gelling, atleast not in the near future. We are old and lack depth. Nash isn't a good defender, Kobe has taken a step back to say the least, Pau is horrible, and Dwight physically isn't all there yet. 2 of our starting big men aren't healthy, and I don't see Howard becoming that "elite player" in the league soon, he probably won't even this year, he had back surgery can't really expect it. Pau Gasol is done plain and simple. So now we have our starters who are very much so underachieving accompanied with our at best inconsistent bench and its not a good recipe. Old age, lack of defense, lack of depth, and the health of our team, they really don't stand a chance right now. Current roster as is will probably see a first round exit at best.
JLaker17

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion