A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances (PLAYOFF POLL!)

What will be the outcome of the Lakers vs Spurs series?

Lakers in 4
4%
Lakers in 5
2%
Lakers in 6
44%
Lakers in 7
12%
Spurs in 4
8%
Spurs in 5
11%
Spurs in 6
14%
Spurs in 7
1%

Total votes : 70

Re: A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 am

Per Kelly Dwyer @ Yahoo Sports:

Los Angeles Lakers forward/center Pau Gasol is attempting to lead his team to the eighth seed in the Western Conference playoff bracket, but he’ll need either a Laker win against Houston on Wednesday night or a Utah Jazz loss against the Memphis Grizzlies earlier in the evening to secure that placement. Luckily, Gasol’s younger brother Marc is turning in a Defensive Player of the Year-worthy run as Memphis center. Pau likely watched Marc play just 24 minutes in Memphis’ win over Dallas on Monday, and he wouldn’t mind it if the Grizzlies saw fit to play their starting center a while longer on Wednesday. From Eric Pincus at the Los Angeles Times:

"I told him to please go out there and compete and try to win the game," said Pau.

Did he get a positive response?

"He said, 'We'll see,' because last night they played the starters 24 minutes. They probably play the same the next game," said the Lakers' forward/center.

The Grizzlies are attempting to secure their own good fortune, it should be noted, as they compete with the Los Angeles Clippers for home court advantage in the first round of this weekend’s playoffs. Memphis and the Clippers have battled each other to a veritable draw over the last two regular seasons, including a seven-game playoff series last spring that could have gone either way. The Grizzlies don’t need any extra motivation to down Utah, and they probably aren’t bothered by the small glimmer of a hope that would pit the Gasol brothers against each other in the second round of the playoffs.

With that in place, Memphis coach Lionel Hollins is obviously mindful of his team’s minutes. Young forward/center Ed Davis’ double-double off the bench helped, but that wasn’t the only reason Hollins essentially split the minutes between his starters and reserves on Monday – against a pretty good .500 team in Dallas that was playing at home, no less.

Hollins has his reasons. It’s warming to even note that we’re even talking about Marc Gasol’s minute allotments at this point in the season.

Gasol suffered an abdominal strain in the first week of March, a debilitating injury that usually takes until the offseason to fully mend. Undeterred, Gasol somehow played an average of 38.2 minutes per contest over the next nine games before aggravating the strain against New Orleans on March 22. Gasol was diagnosed as on indefinite leave to deal with that unpredictable malady, and yet he returned just five days later to play 35 minutes in a loss to the New York Knicks on March 27.

Gasol went on to play over 34 minutes a contest in the ten games between that return and the Dallas walk-through. And if Hollins returns to flexing his chutzpah on Wednesday night against Utah, it’s possible that the Memphis center will have played “just” 48 minutes of total basketball in seven or eight days total before his team’s playoff debut this weekend (depending on which day Game 1 against the Clippers falls). That alone might be worth more than any home court advantage in the first round, because as fantastic as Grizzlies fans can be in their home setting, both the Clippers and Grizzlies have proven to be quite adept at winning on each other’s floor.

With the final regular season tip-off on Memphis’ home floor scheduled for two and a half hours before the Lakers’ game with Houston, it’s possible that the Lakers could be well aware of their own positive playoff fate heading into their showdown with the Rockets. Good thing, because a win against Houston is far from assured.

Not only is Kevin McHale’s crew gunning for the sixth seed in the West (they hold the tie-breaker over Golden State, who plays Portland on Wednesday to finish their sprightly 82-game run), but Houston also owns a 2-1 regular season series lead over the Lakers so far this year. Worse for Los Angeles is the fact that Houston’s trademarks – transition scoring, guard penetration – have given the Lakers fits (as performed by several teams) all season. No amount of increased focus or phone calls from Kobe Bryant at halftime can make up for an Omer Asik outlet pass that leads to James Harden putting Steve Blake on skates.

This is why, in the end, it may come down to Marc Gasol pushing the Los Angeles Lakers into the playoffs. What a weird concept. It’s probably best to text him again, Pau, to plead your case another time. Maybe ask him for Lionel Hollins’ number, while you’re at it.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:20 am

Dwight put on your war paint
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:25 am

Vasashi17 wrote:Per Kelly Dwyer @ Yahoo Sports:

Los Angeles Lakers forward/center Pau Gasol is attempting to lead his team to the eighth seed in the Western Conference playoff bracket, but he’ll need either a Laker win against Houston on Wednesday night or a Utah Jazz loss against the Memphis Grizzlies earlier in the evening to secure that placement. Luckily, Gasol’s younger brother Marc is turning in a Defensive Player of the Year-worthy run as Memphis center. Pau likely watched Marc play just 24 minutes in Memphis’ win over Dallas on Monday, and he wouldn’t mind it if the Grizzlies saw fit to play their starting center a while longer on Wednesday. From Eric Pincus at the Los Angeles Times:

"I told him to please go out there and compete and try to win the game," said Pau.

Did he get a positive response?

"He said, 'We'll see,' because last night they played the starters 24 minutes. They probably play the same the next game," said the Lakers' forward/center.

The Grizzlies are attempting to secure their own good fortune, it should be noted, as they compete with the Los Angeles Clippers for home court advantage in the first round of this weekend’s playoffs. Memphis and the Clippers have battled each other to a veritable draw over the last two regular seasons, including a seven-game playoff series last spring that could have gone either way. The Grizzlies don’t need any extra motivation to down Utah, and they probably aren’t bothered by the small glimmer of a hope that would pit the Gasol brothers against each other in the second round of the playoffs.

With that in place, Memphis coach Lionel Hollins is obviously mindful of his team’s minutes. Young forward/center Ed Davis’ double-double off the bench helped, but that wasn’t the only reason Hollins essentially split the minutes between his starters and reserves on Monday – against a pretty good .500 team in Dallas that was playing at home, no less.

Hollins has his reasons. It’s warming to even note that we’re even talking about Marc Gasol’s minute allotments at this point in the season.

Gasol suffered an abdominal strain in the first week of March, a debilitating injury that usually takes until the offseason to fully mend. Undeterred, Gasol somehow played an average of 38.2 minutes per contest over the next nine games before aggravating the strain against New Orleans on March 22. Gasol was diagnosed as on indefinite leave to deal with that unpredictable malady, and yet he returned just five days later to play 35 minutes in a loss to the New York Knicks on March 27.

Gasol went on to play over 34 minutes a contest in the ten games between that return and the Dallas walk-through. And if Hollins returns to flexing his chutzpah on Wednesday night against Utah, it’s possible that the Memphis center will have played “just” 48 minutes of total basketball in seven or eight days total before his team’s playoff debut this weekend (depending on which day Game 1 against the Clippers falls). That alone might be worth more than any home court advantage in the first round, because as fantastic as Grizzlies fans can be in their home setting, both the Clippers and Grizzlies have proven to be quite adept at winning on each other’s floor.

With the final regular season tip-off on Memphis’ home floor scheduled for two and a half hours before the Lakers’ game with Houston, it’s possible that the Lakers could be well aware of their own positive playoff fate heading into their showdown with the Rockets. Good thing, because a win against Houston is far from assured.

Not only is Kevin McHale’s crew gunning for the sixth seed in the West (they hold the tie-breaker over Golden State, who plays Portland on Wednesday to finish their sprightly 82-game run), but Houston also owns a 2-1 regular season series lead over the Lakers so far this year. Worse for Los Angeles is the fact that Houston’s trademarks – transition scoring, guard penetration – have given the Lakers fits (as performed by several teams) all season. No amount of increased focus or phone calls from Kobe Bryant at halftime can make up for an Omer Asik outlet pass that leads to James Harden putting Steve Blake on skates.

This is why, in the end, it may come down to Marc Gasol pushing the Los Angeles Lakers into the playoffs. What a weird concept. It’s probably best to text him again, Pau, to plead your case another time. Maybe ask him for Lionel Hollins’ number, while you’re at it.

garbage article from a garbage writer.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby abeer3 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:56 am

don't see what he's wrong about. if you were to design a team to exploit the lakers' problems, it would be houston. and it's clear that the grizzlies aren't that into winning versus utah.
abeer3

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:04 am

abeer3 wrote:don't see what he's wrong about. if you were to design a team to exploit the lakers' problems, it would be houston. and it's clear that the grizzlies aren't that into winning versus utah.

Seems odd if they don't care about HCA for the first round.
Lakerjones

Postby khmrP on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:12 am

Lakerjones wrote:
abeer3 wrote:don't see what he's wrong about. if you were to design a team to exploit the lakers' problems, it would be houston. and it's clear that the grizzlies aren't that into winning versus utah.

think Mem will do what they did against Dall, they'll play their starters just not alot of minutes.
khmrP

Postby wallangong on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:14 am

Dwyer is and always has been a terrible writer and Kobe hater. I've read countless hateful article with no facts, just him letting his emotions run wild. I think the poster you're quoting was referencing Dwyer's complete body of work.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby Juronimo on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 am

wallangong wrote:

Dwyer is and always has been a terrible writer and Kobe hater. I've read countless hateful article with no facts, just him letting his emotions run wild. I think the poster you're quoting was referencing Dwyer's complete body of work.

Kelly Dwyer is garbage.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 am

Ken Mauer lead official for tonights game Uh oh

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby TIME on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:13 am

Juronimo wrote:
wallangong wrote:

Kelly Dwyer is garbage.

Allow me to illustrate your point.

Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:38 am

my comment wasn't about dwyer (i'm not a fan). rather, it was about the two claims he makes in the article.

first, that houston has a good chance of beating la. logic says yes. they're a team that penetrates, shoots the three, and runs teams to death. the lakers have had tons of trouble with that over the course of the season. i don't get why so many fear denver for those reasons but don't see that houston is a hypercharged denver on offense.

his other claim was the memphis may not knock off utah because they won't be playing their regular rotation. true again. they were in the same position a couple days ago and didn't play their starters in the 4th quarter. had dallas not already packed it in for the season, they probably would have won that game. utah is fighting for their lives.

as for why memphis doesn't care? dwyer outlines it: the odds of the clips losing are slim enough that he'd rather have healthy starters (memphis isn't that deep) on the road than risk that health for a highly unlikely shot at hca in the first round.

i don't like it, but it's true.

also: kenny mauer? fml.
abeer3

Postby Forward Three on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:49 am

On the one hand, talk about a thrilling end to the season? You could hardly script a better end-of-season showdown between the final few teams that have yet to secure their PS hopes. On the other hand... this season and this year's Lakers squad has been so completely disappointing all year long that I almost don't think I can even watch tonight.
Forward Three

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 am

Forward Three wrote:On the one hand, talk about a thrilling end to the season? You could hardly script a better end-of-season showdown between the final few teams that have yet to secure their PS hopes. On the other hand... this season and this year's Lakers squad has been so completely disappointing all year long that I almost don't think I can even watch tonight.

i dont know about you, but i can't sit still at work...hurry up 7:30 :jam2:
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:09 am

We're all there pound, if there was one game to define Dwight's career as a Laker, this one would be it.

Take us to the playoffs Supermamba.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Alleyhoops on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:12 am

Really looking forward to tonight's game. Sunday we watched a new Laker team that finally realized they needed to play 48 minutes of intense basketball -- and play as a team. If it took something inane like having their best player go down with an injury to suddenly get them to "flip a switch," then so be it. Bring it on!

What a bizarre season.
Alleyhoops

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 am

lakerfan2 wrote:We're all there pound, if there was one game to define Dwight's career as a Laker, this one would be it.

Take us to the playoffs Supermamba.

i wanna leave work early so i can catch the end of that Jazz game too...feels like the playoffs LOL
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Lakerjones wrote:

MEM is currently tied with LAC & the Clippers hold the tie breaker... It would make sense for MEM to go all out & try for HCA against LAC in the 1st round; however, the chances of LAC losing to SAC tonight is very slim. Fortunately, the MEM/UTA game is played before the LAC game, so MEM won't know their fate yet.

It will also be interesting to see how the outcome of the MEM/UTA game effects the Lakers performance... I personally think it won't have any effect since the Lakers want to win & get that 7 seed no matter what UTA does tonight... Gonna be a roller coaster night.
LakerFanIam

Postby gcclaker on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:44 pm

Just win tonight's damn game then go from there...that is all. :mad1:
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Well everyone, it all comes down to tonight! Haven't slept well the last 2 nights. Can't wait. Will definitely be watching the Jazz - Grizzlies game beforehand.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Sacramento is gonna be rockin tonight, potential last game in SAC for Kings fans you guys think the players wont feed off the energy

EDIT: No Tyreke Evans tonight, damn. Which means Marcus Thornton has to go crazy

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:06 pm

The Rock wrote:Sacramento is gonna be rockin tonight, potential last game in SAC for Kings fans you guys think the players wont feed off the energy

EDIT: No Tyreke Evans tonight, damn. Which means Marcus Thornton has to go crazy

Do you think Seattle has a good chance to get the team? This whole team relocation project has been off and on for a few years now and it's becoming hard to know what's really going between the two cities.
XXIV

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:09 pm

XXIV wrote:
The Rock wrote:Sacramento is gonna be rockin tonight, potential last game in SAC for Kings fans you guys think the players wont feed off the energy

Do you think Seattle has a good chance to get the team? This whole team relocation project has been off and on for a few years now and it's becoming hard to know what's really going between the two cities.

they have been talking for years about moving it and nothing has happened. No idea whats gonna happen

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Well if Memphis was SMART, they would go all out in this game....because I do NOT have the Clippers winning FOR SURE tonight....this could potentially be the Kings LAST GAME EVER in Sacramento....they are gonna bring it. I'll be really upset if the Grizz rest their starters....what a BS way to end the season...at that point I'll hope the Clippers blow them out in the first round, or beat them in game 7 in LA...
FabFourLakers

Postby denimPortugal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:41 pm

C'mon Marc...help your big bro... :man1: :jam2:
denimPortugal

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Hollins did play all of his starters atleast 10mins less than their season average in Dallas on Monday though, and the Mavs were desperate to finish the season above .500 so they played hard. Its no given he'll play his normal rotation tonight.

They'll look like complete fools tonight if the Kings somehow rode the emotions to an upset while they half-a**ed it and lost at home to the Jazz though.

Utah losing only means that even if we lose tonight we'd play the Thunder though. Thats not much more appealing than missing the playoffs.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion