A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances (PLAYOFF POLL!)

What will be the outcome of the Lakers vs Spurs series?

Lakers in 4
4%
Lakers in 5
2%
Lakers in 6
44%
Lakers in 7
12%
Spurs in 4
8%
Spurs in 5
11%
Spurs in 6
14%
Spurs in 7
1%

Total votes : 70

Re: A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances

Postby Finwë on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:37 pm

JLaker17 wrote:Its almost as if making the playoffs is the best possible thing that could happen. I just don't see this team gelling, atleast not in the near future. We are old and lack depth. Nash isn't a good defender, Kobe has taken a step back to say the least, Pau is horrible, and Dwight physically isn't all there yet. 2 of our starting big men aren't healthy, and I don't see Howard becoming that "elite player" in the league soon, he probably won't even this year, he had back surgery can't really expect it. Pau Gasol is done plain and simple. So now we have our starters who are very much so underachieving accompanied with our at best inconsistent bench and its not a good recipe. Old age, lack of defense, lack of depth, and the health of our team, they really don't stand a chance right now. Current roster as is will probably see a first round exit at best.

I don't necessarily agree. See my post in the last page, I explained my stance on why I believe if the team makes the playoffs then we could do some damage.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Finwë wrote:
JLaker17 wrote:Its almost as if making the playoffs is the best possible thing that could happen. I just don't see this team gelling, atleast not in the near future. We are old and lack depth. Nash isn't a good defender, Kobe has taken a step back to say the least, Pau is horrible, and Dwight physically isn't all there yet. 2 of our starting big men aren't healthy, and I don't see Howard becoming that "elite player" in the league soon, he probably won't even this year, he had back surgery can't really expect it. Pau Gasol is done plain and simple. So now we have our starters who are very much so underachieving accompanied with our at best inconsistent bench and its not a good recipe. Old age, lack of defense, lack of depth, and the health of our team, they really don't stand a chance right now. Current roster as is will probably see a first round exit at best.

I don't necessarily agree. See my post in the last page, I explained my stance on why I believe if the team makes the playoffs then we could do some damage.

You're post is correct, because we really CAN BE a dangerous team. If in the playoffs and we somehow do what you stated in your post, we very well could be a championship contender again. The same could be said about the rest of the season, if we do what you stated we will be a pretty good seeded playoff team (for our standards of starting out so bad). Its just I have not seen that really as a possibility. The only consistent thing about the Lakers this season is inconsistency.
JLaker17

Postby TheOp on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:58 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:
kenzo wrote:Wher's the "non playoff team" option? :man3:

At the end of the day, this team has Kobe Bean Bryant. If he could take a team full of scrubs to the playoffs he can definitely take this team to at least the 8th seed.

While I do agree Kobe should be able to take this team to the playoffs, hes still averaging 30+ and is more efficient then hes ever been. This is a tougher western conference, it may take 48-50 wins just to make the playoffs, if the low seed teams get hot (and they are more then capable). This is a tougher western conference then it was back in the Smush days, where we only needed like 45 wins to make it.

But who knows cause as of right now its looking like 45 wins to make it as an 8th seed. Like I said though Denver or Golden State have a lot of talent and could get red hot.
TheOp

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:32 pm

All we have to do is get it and its a toss up from there, I believe we will have enough chemistry and definitely have enough talent to do significant damage, I'm no so sure about winning it all though.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Finwë on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:52 pm

JLaker17 wrote:
Finwë wrote:

You're post is correct, because we really CAN BE a dangerous team. If in the playoffs and we somehow do what you stated in your post, we very well could be a championship contender again. The same could be said about the rest of the season, if we do what you stated we will be a pretty good seeded playoff team (for our standards of starting out so bad). Its just I have not seen that really as a possibility. The only consistent thing about the Lakers this season is inconsistency.

I agree, I never said it was the most likely of outcomes, I just think if we do make the playoffs then we'll be in shape to really compete because of what we'd need to achieve that (consistent quality ball)
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:09 pm

Ariza3 wrote:we aren't winning it this year. but i believe next year, with dwight kobe nash still here plus maybe some new better role players, we'll win it.

this year it aint happening though. not enough time left. too many changes, injuries, and too deep of a whole dug

I won't count us out yet this year.. We still have champions & superior talent to most teams.. Noone knows how good we'll be with chemistry.. But I agree our chances next season are much better.. Pau will be gone as an expiring contract unless we win this year, & we'll hopefully have some better fitting pieces. But the biggest factor is D12 might be 100% next season. If Kobe is still Kobe we'll be much better with Dwight at 100%.
lakersin4

Postby Armani on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:26 pm

This team was built for title or bust. No matter what happens now, this season is a waste. A failure. Nash and Kobe get a year older next year. These guys were drafted in 1996. Yeah. It's been a while. They won't last forever.
Armani

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:00 pm

I have to be honest, if we can't become a top 3 seed with just a starting lineup that consists of Kobe Bryant who's having a stellar season, Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, and Metta World Peace something is wrong. I think it does come down to chemistry, on the unfortunate side this team with players of this magnitude was formed with half of them entering the last leg of their careers. Now see if this team was formed back in 08 SURE there'd be plenty of time for "CHEMISTRY AND BONDING" but Kobe, Pau, Nash, Ron/Metta they don't have that time, they're almost done. This team was suppose to win it all this season, doesn't matter what anyone says. Nash said it himself he came here because he though he had a shot at winning his first title and it seems like it won't happen for him. Jamison also felt the same way, these guys know their window is about closed, and it's unfortunate this season will be a complete bust.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:18 pm

I'm crazy but I said WCF. The biggest problem to me though is even getting to the playoffs with some kind of a decent seed (5 or 6?). It's a huge up hill battle and I'm not sure we're healthy enough or have enough chemistry or coaching to get there. I like our chances somewhat if we get into the playoffs. But climbing up that hill is going to be very difficult. I have doubts about getting all the way to the Finals, which I think are quite reasonable to have considering our record. I think if we get lucky in our match ups on the way though we might just get to the WCF. It is a very long shot, I know.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:28 pm

I've been so depressed since the last game with the Lakers season, I look at Andy Adler right now and want hot steamy relations with her.
OX1947

Postby Nashty Gal on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:57 pm

I voted we miss the playoffs. I hope i'm wrong. but i just think its better to not expect anything and be pleasantly surprised :man1:
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby JGC on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:46 pm

OX1947 wrote:I've been so depressed since the last game with the Lakers season, I look at Andy Adler right now and want hot steamy relations with her.

Me first!
JGC

Postby GoldenChocobo on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:31 pm

I feel for the season ticket holders.
GoldenChocobo

Postby GoldenChocobo on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 pm

5 games behind 8th seed. Good luck!
GoldenChocobo

Postby abeer3 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 pm

JGC wrote:
abeer3 wrote:i'll reserve judgment until after tomorrow's game. if this team can't show up to beat denver at home after they preened and pranced all over them last week, they lack heart, balls, or both, and i'll predict they miss the playoffs.

a win won't be diagnostic.

One game determines everything huh?

no, it's a pattern. one that i've been hoping would change, but it was there again tonight. if you're still ignoring it at this point, i don't know what to say. the team simply has no heart. if they did, they would have stomped these clowns at home, coming off two losses (with the opposition on the second night of a back to back and having just humiliated you on their court a couple weeks ago). you could hear it in stu's voice all night: even mediocre teams don't lose this game.
abeer3

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:16 pm

That's pretty much a given ... we are missing the playoffs unless moves are made
wcsoldier81

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:42 pm

cmon now. no one wants to see that...(i hope)
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:09 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:cmon now. no one wants to see that...(i hope)

nightmares now
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JGC on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:12 pm

Wow, that is one long turd. Surprised he could get that off in one push like that. I probably would have snapped that off and gone for quantity over quality.
JGC

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 pm

STOP QUOTING IT....rofl.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Nikez on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 pm

We can still win 50 games.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Oh, man. I'm still laughing. This made my night...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby dmaul on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 pm

Oh my god, to see this once is bad enough. On top of that people keep quoting it. I'm about to vomit.
dmaul

Postby JGC on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 pm

abeer3 wrote:
JGC wrote:
abeer3 wrote:i'll reserve judgment until after tomorrow's game. if this team can't show up to beat denver at home after they preened and pranced all over them last week, they lack heart, balls, or both, and i'll predict they miss the playoffs.

a win won't be diagnostic.

One game determines everything huh?

no, it's a pattern. one that i've been hoping would change, but it was there again tonight. if you're still ignoring it at this point, i don't know what to say. the team simply has no heart. if they did, they would have stomped these clowns at home, coming off two losses (with the opposition on the second night of a back to back and having just humiliated you on their court a couple weeks ago). you could hear it in stu's voice all night: even mediocre teams don't lose this game.

Dude, I've been saying the roster is flawed since probably the preseason. I just thought it was funny that after all that's happened, you'll only predict they miss the playoffs if they lost to Denver.
JGC

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:STOP QUOTING IT....rofl.

:man10: :lol: People are like "oh gross" as they quote it for us to see again and again.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion