A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances (PLAYOFF POLL!)

What will be the outcome of the Lakers vs Spurs series?

Lakers in 4
4%
Lakers in 5
2%
Lakers in 6
44%
Lakers in 7
12%
Spurs in 4
8%
Spurs in 5
11%
Spurs in 6
14%
Spurs in 7
1%

Total votes : 70

Re: A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Yeah like i said, I don't like the idea of "resting" or "tanking" for a certain match up....we need to just go into the playoffs playing really good basketball and I'll feel way better about our chances of getting out of the first round. 13 games should be enough for these guys to get it going...I say we need to end at least 9-4, maybe 10-3 to really convince everyone that we're "back".
FabFourLakers

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:52 pm

We were 17-25. I always felt like we needed to finish 28-12 or 29-11 to have a good shot at an upset, but I didn't imagine us actually playing at that win rate while not playing that much better overall. They need to finish the season strong and not just squeak by with the wins.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Damn, terrible night so far.

Houston won. Portland won at Atl. Dalls beating the Celts. Utah winning in SA.

Memphis losing to the Pelicans, so they would lose the 3rd seed to Denver or LA. SA losing and has a tough stretch, so that the Thunder likely get the 1 seed, which is bad for LA if we get the 8th seed.

So I guess the Lakers MUST win tonight to keep pace with Houston, Utah and GS.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby jOeyB7000 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 pm

San Antonio pulled out the win over the Jazz in overtime.

Thank you Spurs
jOeyB7000

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
jimbo327 wrote:John Wall was named Player of the Week. And Washington has improved quite a bit after Wall returned. And he has the speed to expose our lack of speed. There is no way Blake or Nash can keep up with that speed. And we don't have Kobe to counter that because he is still nursing a nasty ankle sprain.

I know most people this Washington is bad, but they are streaky. They are very similar to the Phoenix suns, and we just lost to them by double digit.

So yes, I stick with my projections, we win the last few games because Kobe gets back to healthy and wills the Lakers to victory. Of course, if Washington comes out cold, then its over. They don't play any defense. But if we come out cold again like in Phoenix, and they come out running/gunning...we are in trouble. And if they can make D12 play 10 feet out, and not let him catch too close to the basket...it is very hard for Lakers to score right now. We are depending on Meeks and Jamison, and not sure if they can put up the numbers.

That's reality.

^^ Thanks for the explanation Jimbo. Makes sense now. I won't agree that you're right or say you're wrong because of course we don't know what will happen until it happens. But I do appreciate hearing your opinion as to why you think Washington will beat us at home.

Jimbo - you called it. Props to you, but I'm not happy about it.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:57 pm

seems 8th seed is about as good as we're gonna do
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby karacha on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:58 pm

See, I'm telling you. Let's just try to get #8 and be happy with it.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:01 pm

We just suck so bad on D. It's astonishing.

Like others said, our D in the first half wasn't all that good, it was just them missing open looks.. As soon as they got into a little rythm, the shots started falling and our lead started to fade..
Turnovers on O were a result of lazy passing and being out of sync, I think that can improve, but our D just feels hopeless.. Same story as before, we leave shooters open, we can't fight through ONE screen, we don't get "key" stops, and every transition opportunity is a score..

If we make the playoffs we're definitely going down in the first round IMO. That kind of defense just isn't going to cut it.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby abeer3 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:08 pm

if you have nash at pg, your other 4 defenders have to be really good. i'm guessing this is on the agenda in terms of summer moves. the sf and pf spots will be more athletic by next october. the offense will figure itself out, imo. but that can't happen until next year, with a full training camp, hopefully under a new coach.

as for the team's chances: they're not good.
abeer3

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Guys...you all have every right to hope in making the playoffs...but seriously, once we get there, do you realistically believe we have a shot with the way we are playing right now?

I rather not make it and have management look at this as if moves need to be made (aka fire D'Antoni and move Gasol for young pieces) as opposed to barely making it in and then getting embarrassed by the top seed, allowing management to say that at least we made the playoffs and if healthy may have advanced. I mean this is the same FO that fed us the BS that D'Antoni's offense was better for this veteran team than the triangle....so yeah, I don't want to give them another chance at insulting our intelligence.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:12 pm

i don't think you have to worry about complacency if they get the 8th seed. i'm pretty sure that no matter what, pau and/or mwp are gone this summer, and the roster will be rebuilt with howard as the anticipated centerpiece. finishing 9th just adds insult to injury. might as well get a chance to take a swing at a top gun. who knows, maybe getting plastered by okc or SA will drive the point home harder than missing the playoffs would have.
abeer3

Postby RushDelivery on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:18 pm

The Lakers do not have an easy schedule over the last 12 games, so the 8th seed is far from locked up:

@ Golden State
@ Minnesota
@ Milwaukee (2nd of B2B)
@ Sacramento
vs Dallas
vs Memphis
@ LA Clippers
vs New Orleans
@ Portland (2nd of B2B)
vs Golden State
vs San Antonio
vs Houston

Going 6-6 isn't that unrealistic considering the Lakers struggle with teams with winning records, although if they manage to regain some of their composure they could do better.

Let's hope the Spurs have the 1st seed locked up so they rest their starters, and that the Lakers continue to dominate Golden State, which will help push that possible 6-6 record to a more palpable 8-4.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 pm

RushDelivery wrote:The Lakers do not have an easy schedule over the last 12 games, so the 8th seed is far from locked up:

@ Golden State
@ Minnesota
@ Milwaukee (2nd of B2B)
@ Sacramento
vs Dallas
vs Memphis
@ LA Clippers
vs New Orleans
@ Portland (2nd of B2B)
vs Golden State
vs San Antonio
vs Houston

Going 6-6 isn't that unrealistic considering the Lakers struggle with teams with winning records, although if they manage to regain some of their composure they could do better.

Let's hope the Spurs have the 1st seed locked up so they rest their starters, and that the Lakers continue to dominate Golden State, which will help push that possible 6-6 record to a more palpable 8-4.

8 wins to put us at 44 would be ideal. That's probably the best we could muster given our recent losses to teams that we should have beat, unfortunately.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby jlkr on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:27 pm

RushDelivery wrote:The Lakers do not have an easy schedule over the last 12 games, so the 8th seed is far from locked up:

@ Golden State
@ Minnesota
@ Milwaukee (2nd of B2B)
@ Sacramento
vs Dallas
vs Memphis
@ LA Clippers
vs New Orleans
@ Portland (2nd of B2B)
vs Golden State
vs San Antonio
vs Houston

That was the slim and none when speaking of the margin of error versus the sub-.500 teams. Sigh ...

HOU won so they and GS are both 3 losses ahead of the Lakers. Lakers could win all the games they have left against these two, but they'll still need help to overtake them for better than 8th.

Other news: both DAL and POR won tonight so both are now just 2 losses behind the Lakers. Lakers lead head to head against DAL 2-1 with 1 left at home. If Lakers lost that one and finished tied with DAL, it is conceivable they could still win on better WC record, but not a given.

Other news part 2: Lakers lead head to head against POR 2-1 with 1 left @POR (2nd of b2b set). Lakers are tied with POR in WC record. Meaning it would not be good to finished tied with POR, assuming they take the Lakers in their last matchup, as POR would likely finish ahead of Lakers in WC record.

Lakers are now 9-5 in this tough 18 game stretch that featured 12 road games to 6 home games between Feb 24 and March 30. Realistically, they go 2-2 on this last road trip, but they really need 3-1. No margin for error and all that ...

This last road trip will be a tough one.@GS will be very motivated as the Lakers have handled them to this point, @MIL at the back end of a b2b set, then @SAC, that is the 4th road game in 6 nights for those old legs, that will not be an easy one either.

In April, only one opponent is clearly out of the playoffs, on the bright side, only one game away from Staples, but the Clips have the Lakers numbers, Memphis plays excellent defense and has yet another PG who can burn the Lakers, @POR on the back end of yet another b2b set and we're left hoping SA and HOU are coasting at the end. Nailbiter to the bitter end ...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby RushDelivery on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:03 am

^ It will be very close, much closer than it should be but that's the Lakers. Another loss like tonight will really put the Lakers on thin ice in terms of the playoffs. We can only hope they dig deep and don't drop anymore games they should win from here on out, or this will come down to the very last games.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:41 am

It doesn't matter anymore ... we haven't improved enough as team and can't play consistent B-Ball for 48 min ..

This pathetic loss shows a 4-5 games 1st round exit is coming ... if we make it to the postseason
wcsoldier81

Postby denimPortugal on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:33 am

If we get the 8th seed, I'm happy...only until the 1st round of the POs. A sweep is coming in the 1st round!
denimPortugal

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:45 am

at this point.. making the playoffs just to save face
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby snackdaddy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:56 am

I think the Lakers will make the playoffs. Utah, Portland and Dallas don't have enough move past them. What happens in the playoffs is a different matter.

Remember when the Lakers were #1 or #2 and the first round opponent really stood no chance? Well, the role's reversed. The Lakers are the first round opponent who really stands no chance of winning.

I guess if nothing else, it give them another season of not missing playoffs. At this point, the #7 seed Lakers of a few years ago who lost to the Suns is better than this team.
snackdaddy

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:21 am

denimPortugal wrote:If we get the 8th seed, I'm happy...only until the 1st round of the POs. A sweep is coming in the 1st round!

I think we can win at least 1. Maybe I'm wrong, but this team is good when they are focused, and sometimes our offense is hard to stop.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:45 am

Lakerfan "homer" glasses off...

@ Golden State - L
@ Minnesota - W
@ Milwaukee (2nd of B2B) - L
@ Sacramento - L
vs Dallas - W
vs Memphis - L
@ LA Clippers - L
vs New Orleans - W
@ Portland (2nd of B2B) - L
vs Golden State - W
vs San Antonio - L
vs Houston - W

5-7... Whether it is good enough to make the playoffs remains to be seen.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:55 am

That depends on Utah. Their schedule looks similar. A bunch of wins and losses... who knows.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:56 am

Last night could prove to be a costly lost. I don't want to dwell on it, but the whole thing was pretty unfathomable. To be completely kicking butt as expected with the full team in the first half, to then coming out complacent, turning the ball over, letting the Wizards get a full head of steam and wiping out a 16 point lead at home against a team with a horrible road record? I was dumbfounded. The fourth quarter Kobe isos were unbearable to watch, but the game was lost in that third quarter. We gave up a 16 point lead to the Wizards. That's not acceptable.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:18 am

Lakerjones wrote:Last night could prove to be a costly lost. I don't want to dwell on it, but the whole thing was pretty unfathomable. To be completely kicking butt as expected with the full team in the first half, to then coming out complacent, turning the ball over, letting the Wizards get a full head of steam and wiping out a 16 point lead at home against a team with a horrible road record? I was dumbfounded. The fourth quarter Kobe isos were unbearable to watch, but the game was lost in that third quarter. We gave up a 16 point lead to the Wizards. That's not acceptable.

Pretty sad, huh? When you're in the middle of a PO race, and you come out and completely blow a game that you needed to win. Sadly, this has been our season; although not recently. I'll never understand this team. We have a 4-game road-trip coming up; IMO, we need to win at least 3 out of 4.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:31 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:Last night could prove to be a costly lost. I don't want to dwell on it, but the whole thing was pretty unfathomable. To be completely kicking butt as expected with the full team in the first half, to then coming out complacent, turning the ball over, letting the Wizards get a full head of steam and wiping out a 16 point lead at home against a team with a horrible road record? I was dumbfounded. The fourth quarter Kobe isos were unbearable to watch, but the game was lost in that third quarter. We gave up a 16 point lead to the Wizards. That's not acceptable.

Pretty sad, huh? When you're in the middle of a PO race, and you come out and completely blow a game that you needed to win. Sadly, this has been our season; although not recently. I'll never understand this team. We have a 4-game road-trip coming up; IMO, we need to win at least 3 out of 4.

^^ Agreed. I understand that Kobe is still a bit gimpy and that Gasol is out of shape. But there was no excuse for that third quarter. None. The team didn't play with any urgency or fire in the third. I don't know how they managed to lay such a complete goose egg. They did not bring it. I think they just felt like they had the game and didn't need to try very hard after that. That quarter was horrifying to watch. It was really inexcusable.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion