A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances (PLAYOFF POLL!)

What will be the outcome of the Lakers vs Spurs series?

Lakers in 4
4%
Lakers in 5
2%
Lakers in 6
44%
Lakers in 7
12%
Spurs in 4
8%
Spurs in 5
11%
Spurs in 6
14%
Spurs in 7
1%

Total votes : 70

Re: A Realistic Look At Our Team's Chances

Postby dj vitus on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:45 am

gcclaker wrote:Lakerfan "homer" glasses off...

@ Golden State - L
@ Minnesota - W
@ Milwaukee (2nd of B2B) - L
@ Sacramento - L
vs Dallas - W
vs Memphis - L
@ LA Clippers - L
vs New Orleans - W
@ Portland (2nd of B2B) - L
vs Golden State - W
vs San Antonio - L
vs Houston - W

5-7... Whether it is good enough to make the playoffs remains to be seen.

Looks very realistic, though the one game I think we can win is GS. Hopefully.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby jlkr on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:45 am

dj vitus wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Lakerfan "homer" glasses off...

@ Golden State - L
@ Minnesota - W
@ Milwaukee (2nd of B2B) - L
@ Sacramento - L
vs Dallas - W
vs Memphis - L
@ LA Clippers - L
vs New Orleans - W
@ Portland (2nd of B2B) - L
vs Golden State - W
vs San Antonio - L
vs Houston - W

5-7... Whether it is good enough to make the playoffs remains to be seen.

Looks very realistic, though the one game I think we can win is GS. Hopefully.

Going 5-7 means they're out. Not making it on 41 wins as any one of DAL, POR or UTA could easily overtake them. And I think at least one of them will if the Lakers stumble to the finish line.

Looking at their schedules:
POR has the toughest schedule: no remaining opponents that aren't in the playoffs or battling for playoff position so I don't think they'll be able to overtake Lakers as overtaking a 5-7 Lakers requires them to go 8-5. Not happening.

DAL has 4 such non-playoff-bound opponents so they could very well go 8-5 in their last 13 and overtake the Lakers with a slightly better WC record.

UTA has 5 non-playoff-bound opponents in their last 13, they play 8 home games, 5 road games; if they go 7-6 while Lakers go 5-7, that's good enough to boot the Lakers.

Lakers have 3 non-playoff-bound opponents left, but the first two happen on that tough road trip. Lakers have to go 7-5 in the last 12, that would make it too difficult for DAL and POR; they'd have to go 10-3, not happening, but UTA could very well go 9-4.

Verdict: Lakers have to go 7-5 or better, get to at least 43 wins; 42 or less will likely not be enough. Hope MDA has lit that fire in their bellies.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Finwë on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:57 am

^^ I think we can beat Sacramento, I think we can beat GS, and I think we have a chance at beating San Antonio..
That would make it 8-4
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Forward Three on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:39 pm

It's easy to be upset with how consistently disappointing this Lakers squad has managed to be this season and how even as their fortunes have improved somewhat, they are still losing games they need to win, they are still losing big leads, they are still committing all the same mistakes and bad plays that they've made all season long. Their playoffs hopes are fairly firm right now but it's almost entirely a result of Utah crapping out. So, it could always be worse, the Lakers could be crapping out at exactly the wrong time like Utah is, but still, it's going to come down to the wire and if Utah suddenly wins 3 in a row or whatever the Lakers better be able to respond.
Forward Three

Postby KB24 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:20 pm

If they suck and miss the playoffs, I won't give a rats ***.

I'm certainly NOT going to be sad for an extremely inept bunch of millionaires for embarrassing themselves all year and getting clowned by choice.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby GoldenKnight on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:37 pm

We're gonna make the playoffs there's no doubt in my mind. What we will do there won't be much though. Last night basically put a stamp on the season, Jamison getting injured & losing a huge lead vs the Wizards AT HOME! Playoffs are too close for that to happen, this season is pretty much done no longer than the 1st round most likely.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:44 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:We're gonna make the playoffs there's no doubt in my mind. What we will do there won't be much though. Last night basically put a stamp on the season, Jamison getting injured & losing a huge lead vs the Wizards AT HOME! Playoffs are too close for that to happen, this season is pretty much done no longer than the 1st round most likely.

our house of cards crumbling down. in the off-season, we made huge additions to the roster. on paper, everything seemed great. now we're staring at the realistic possibility that we will exit the playoffs EARLIER than the past two seasons. just mind-boggling.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Washington should have been a sure win. But it looks like we gave away the momentum built in that previous roadtrip. This team is mediocre.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby khmrP on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:03 pm

for the folks who think 6th is realistic, well :man10:
khmrP

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 pm

khmrP wrote:for the folks who think 6th is realistic, well :man10:

surprisingly its still not completely out of reach....we just have to beat some really good teams to make up for those terrible losses to the suns and wizards....and to be honest at this point if we beat the better teams, those will be more meaningful wins. I'm gonna keep the faith...i know things are bad, but im not giving up until this team is OUT of the playoff race or OUT of the playoffs. This team loves to make it interesting and i wish they didnt always do this....but it is what it is...we're a middle of the pack team and had we not dug ourselves a huge hole in the beginning of the season, i have no doubt this team woulda been in Golden State's position right now and not fighting for the 8th spot. Just gotta win on the road now....starting with Golden State game.
FabFourLakers

Postby jimbo327 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:50 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
jimbo327 wrote:John Wall was named Player of the Week. And Washington has improved quite a bit after Wall returned. And he has the speed to expose our lack of speed. There is no way Blake or Nash can keep up with that speed. And we don't have Kobe to counter that because he is still nursing a nasty ankle sprain.

I know most people this Washington is bad, but they are streaky. They are very similar to the Phoenix suns, and we just lost to them by double digit.

So yes, I stick with my projections, we win the last few games because Kobe gets back to healthy and wills the Lakers to victory. Of course, if Washington comes out cold, then its over. They don't play any defense. But if we come out cold again like in Phoenix, and they come out running/gunning...we are in trouble. And if they can make D12 play 10 feet out, and not let him catch too close to the basket...it is very hard for Lakers to score right now. We are depending on Meeks and Jamison, and not sure if they can put up the numbers.

That's reality.

^^ Thanks for the explanation Jimbo. Makes sense now. I won't agree that you're right or say you're wrong because of course we don't know what will happen until it happens. But I do appreciate hearing your opinion as to why you think Washington will beat us at home.

Jimbo - you called it. Props to you, but I'm not happy about it.

I take no pleasure in making my predictions. I just call it as I see it. However, I'm more inclined to revise my previous predictions because I think Kobe is mad after that Washington embarassment. But like I said, we depend heavily in our role players to score...and in the Washington game...Jamison, Meeks, and even MWP was hot...so we looked great...in the 1st half.

Pau Gasol was hot poop, as expected. Soft like a wet noodle.
With Kobe mad, I think the GS game is a toss up now. We might pull it off if one of the Curry and Thompson has an off shooting night. We take it. If they are both hot, we are in trouble. Our advantage is GS has small big men.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:39 am

The Wizards loss wasn't really disastrous in the sense that it destroys our chances to make the playoffs. The reason it was so horrible was because it showed the team hasn't changed at all and is just as bad as they were 60 games ago. Our cute little record since going 17-25 has mostly been a fluke, this is exactly why I was getting so annoyed that we weren't blowing teams out. Winning close games is luck most of the time and that's exactly what we were doing. Eventually, not putting away opponents or playing from behind comes back to bite you in the a**.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby snackdaddy on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:07 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:The Wizards loss wasn't really disastrous in the sense that it destroys our chances to make the playoffs. The reason it was so horrible was because it showed the team hasn't changed at all and is just as bad as they were 60 games ago. Our cute little record since going 17-25 has mostly been a fluke, this is exactly why I was getting so annoyed that we weren't blowing teams out. Winning close games is luck most of the time and that's exactly what we were doing. Eventually, not putting away opponents or playing from behind comes back to bite you in the a**.

I agree. This team has not showed they are ready to turn the corner. Losing home games to bad teams when you're just fighting for the last playoff spot is not progress.

Oh, they'll probably make the playoffs by default. Utah is going in the tank. Dallas and Portland don't have enough to make a major run at it. But getting the number 8 seed because no one else wants it bad enough?

I'm not sure whats worse, missing the playoffs or getting run out of the arena in 4 or 5 games. Because I just don't see how they have a snowball's chance in hell the way they've played all year.
snackdaddy

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:11 am

jimbo327 wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
jimbo327 wrote:John Wall was named Player of the Week. And Washington has improved quite a bit after Wall returned. And he has the speed to expose our lack of speed. There is no way Blake or Nash can keep up with that speed. And we don't have Kobe to counter that because he is still nursing a nasty ankle sprain.

I know most people this Washington is bad, but they are streaky. They are very similar to the Phoenix suns, and we just lost to them by double digit.

So yes, I stick with my projections, we win the last few games because Kobe gets back to healthy and wills the Lakers to victory. Of course, if Washington comes out cold, then its over. They don't play any defense. But if we come out cold again like in Phoenix, and they come out running/gunning...we are in trouble. And if they can make D12 play 10 feet out, and not let him catch too close to the basket...it is very hard for Lakers to score right now. We are depending on Meeks and Jamison, and not sure if they can put up the numbers.

That's reality.

^^ Thanks for the explanation Jimbo. Makes sense now. I won't agree that you're right or say you're wrong because of course we don't know what will happen until it happens. But I do appreciate hearing your opinion as to why you think Washington will beat us at home.

Jimbo - you called it. Props to you, but I'm not happy about it.

I take no pleasure in making my predictions. I just call it as I see it. However, I'm more inclined to revise my previous predictions because I think Kobe is mad after that Washington embarassment. But like I said, we depend heavily in our role players to score...and in the Washington game...Jamison, Meeks, and even MWP was hot...so we looked great...in the 1st half.

Pau Gasol was hot poop, as expected. Soft like a wet noodle.
With Kobe mad, I think the GS game is a toss up now. We might pull it off if one of the Curry and Thompson has an off shooting night. We take it. If they are both hot, we are in trouble. Our advantage is GS has small big men.

Oh, yeah, I get that for sure. Just credit where its due. I thought it was a typo originally but when you clarified I got it. The thing that I'm shocked by is just the complete and utter meltdown on our part. Not scoring is one thing but horrible defense, lazy turnover city on offense, all while defending your home court and more importantly trying (or not trying in this case) to secure a playoff spot is just unconscionable to me.

Anyway, I hope you're right and that Kobe and company are going to take this GS game seriously and are going to go all out. There's not time for that half-a$%ed ball we saw in the second half on Friday night. It was complete garbage. The Wizards straight out wanted that game more. Not sure what the air of complacency is that permeated our locker room at the half. Terrible. And while I think D' Antoni was right in blasting the team afterward, he is still a big part of the problem, IMO.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby snackdaddy on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:20 am

I'm as pessimistic as it comes when they're not playing well. But I wouldn't be surprised if we beat the Warriors. I believe that is a team we match up well with. We beat them in their house back when we weren't playing well. Its not easy to sweep a division opponent, especially when that opponent is a playoff team. But I think the Lakers can sweep the Warriors.
snackdaddy

Postby karacha on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:53 pm

There are some interesting games tonight:

POR-OKC. Portland is losing right now, and hopefully they will indeed lose the game. I don't consider them a huge threat to us, but still...

UTA-DAL. Both of these teams are right behind us, but it's better if Dallas wins. That would mean that both teams will be 2 losses behind us. I'll take that over DAL at -3 and UTA at -1. Give us more room for error, because one never knows with this Lakers team. It is still too early in the 1st to see how this one is going to end. In any case, I don't consider Dallas to be a big threat (same as Portland, really).

SAS-HOU. If we want San Antonio in the first round, they should keep winning, and Houston being pushed closer to us (32 to our 34 losses can't hurt). In any case, this game is probably not super important to us.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby BadCoaching on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:02 pm

bleh.. i tried to stay optimistic but this teams defense is just horrendous.

Another terrible coach afraid to play 8 deep and keep people from being exhausted.

May as well lose the lead earlier in the game and figure out a roster that works. No awards for winning the first three quarters. Afraid just like Brown was and expects Nash and Kobe to play huge minutes.
BadCoaching

Postby karacha on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:12 pm

The team defense is, indeed, bad. But the rotations and the minutes were for the most part, just fine. If our guys are exhausted from playing 34 and 37 minutes after having so many days of rest, something is seriously wrong. There are many things that we should work on; MDA is not the best coach for this team, that much is obvious too. But he is not a terrible coach, not even close. And his rotations were, in fact, pretty solid. Blake played 20, Meeks 24. Clark could have played more, but other then that, MDA did OK. I can give you quite a few examples where he fails, but rotations is probably not one of those examples. He uses a legitimate 8-9 player rotation (9 with Pau back) which is perfectly fine for this team. Who else would play? Ebanks, Morris, Duhon, Sacre? No, thanks.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:34 pm

My only complaint with the rotation is MWP and his 40 minutes last game. He shouldn't be playing more than 30 minutes a night. Clark should have dipped way into his minutes last game. As far as I'm concerned, MWP and Clark should be splitting minutes and whoever is playing better that night gets the nod to play a little longer.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:23 pm

Let's see what's happening right now:

OKC won, as I predicted (not that it was hard to predict :man1: ), which works for us.
DAL has a very nice lead on Utah right now in the 4th, which is also perfect.

SAS-HOU going down to the wire right now.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Rockets win. As I said, we're probably not catching them anyway, so it's not a big deal. The rest is perfect for us. Dallas with a 16-pt lead on Utah in the 4th. Maybe the Jazz are tanking for a pick, or perhaps they are just that bad on the road. They are doing us a huge favor I guess. Portland is definitely out of the picture at this point. They can also get a nice pick instead of making the playoffs. Nothing wrong with that.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:38 pm

Jazz having to play all these tough games to end the season (and losing pretty much all of them) just tells me they were never as good as their record indicated prior to this rough patch.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby trodgers on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Projected wins
San Antonio 62
Oklahoma City 59
Denver 55
Memphis 55
LA Clippers 54
Golden State 45
Houston 44
LA Lakers 44
Utah 40
Dallas 39
Portland 38
Minnesota 29
Sacramento 29
New Orleans 28
Phoenix 27
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Curry is planning on playing tomorrow. This guy's ankle is made of sticks and mud. If they seriously think they have a shot in the first round they should probably make him sit this one out. They only have 5 games over the next two weeks, thats an opportunity to make sure he's at 100% heading into the playoffs. Its nice he wants to play but he hasn't exactly been a durable player who can brush off an injury.

I dont watch alot of their games though, so I dunno if they have a team in mind that they'd prefer to play in the first round.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby karacha on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:56 pm

The Warriors are playing .500 ball in March. So, we definitely have a chance.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion