Reasons we won't get Malone...and other ramblings

Reasons we won't get Malone...and other ramblings

Postby Guest on Fri May 09, 2003 9:57 am

I've been perusing the boards and everyone seems to be going hog wild over the prospect of the Lakers bringing in Karl Malone in 2004. Not only do we not want this to happen, it won't happen. Here's why:

Point #1
Karl Malone is the NBA's second leading scorer, all-time (behind some guy named Alcindor). Judging by Malone's notorious ego, he wants to finish his career ahead of Kareem. To do so, he MUST average 20+ points per game for TWO years. Considering the position he'd assume on the Lakers (third scoring option), attaining 20+ points per game is unrealistic, especially for two consecutive years.

Point #2
Karl Malone has the potential to be a disruptive force. Remember, this is a guy that has been kept in check during the season by Jazz head coach/uber-disciplinarian Jerry Sloan. Granted, Phil Jackson wins the "I-can-deal-with-a-whacko" award after his years with Dennis Rodman, but dealing with Malone is a different animal altogether. Malone won't be skipping practice or showing up late for games. He wants his voice heard during practice, during games, during halftime, and during the offseason. I'm not sure how well that would sit with the current cast of characters (especially Shaq).

Point #3
The Lakers already have some age issues and acquiring a player that will turn 40 before the start of the season isn't the answer. We could use some youth at the forward position to help compliment Devean George. When you consider players like Elton Brand (RFA), Lamar "Puffy" Odom (RFA), Jermaine Oneal (UFA), and Juwan Howard (UFA) will be available, it makes more sense to invest in one of them when looking at the future of this team.

Wrapping things up, I'd rather not see Malone driving his 16-wheeler up to the Staples Arena in 2004. With Fox scheduled to miss the entire 2003-2004 season, that means George and Horry will likely start at forward. I think we can all agree that Big Shot Rob's best days are behind him, although he'd be a suitable bench forward. As such, here's what I'd like to see happen:

Step #1
Sign Juwan Howard (UFA). He's 30 years old, would average 14-16 points with the Lakers, and pull down around 7-9 boards per game. His asking price would be relatively low coming out of Denver and he makes an ideal role-player. Plus, should Shaq go down for any duration, Howard caC during games, during halftime, and during the offseason. I'm not sure how well that would sit with the current cast of characters (especially Shaq).

Point #3
The Lakers already have some age issues and acquiring a player that will turn 40 before the start of the season isn't the answer. We could use some youth at the forward position to help compliment Devean George. When you consider players like Elton Brand (RFA), Lamar "Puffy" Odom (RFA), Jermaine Oneal (UFA), and Juwan Howard (UFA) will be available, it makes more sense to invest in one of them when looking at the future of this team.

Wrapping things up, I'd rather not see Malone driving his 16-wheeler up to the Staples Arena in 2004. With Fox scheduled to miss the entire 2003-2004 season, that means George and Horry will likely start at forward. I think we can all agree that Big Shot Rob's best days are behind him, although he'd be a suitable bench forward. As such, here's what I'd like to see happen:

Step #1
Sign Juwan Howard (UFA). He's 30 years old, would average 14-16 points with the Lakers, and pull down around 7-9 boards per game. His asking price would be relatively low coming out of Denver and he makes an ideal role-player. Plus, should Shaq go down for any duration, Howard caC during games, during halftime, and during the offseason. I'm not sure how well that would sit with the current cast of characters (especially Shaq).

Point #3

Step #1
Sign Juwan Howard (UFA). He's 30 years old, would average 14-16 points with the Lakers, and pull down around 7-9 boards per game. His asking price would be relatively low coming out of Denver and he makes an ideal role-player. Plus, should Shaq go down for any duration, Howard can step in and play cring halftime, and during the offseason. I'm not sure how well that would sit with the current cast of characters (especially Shaq).

Point #3

Step #1
Sign Juwan Howard (UFA). He's 30 years old, would average 14-16 points with the Lakers, and pull down around 7-9 boards per game. His asking price would be relatively low coming out of Denver and he makes an ideal role-player. Plus, should Shaq go down for any duration, Howard can step in and play center.

Step #2
A defensive point guard is an absolute-must for this team in 2004. Arenas is a popular choice, but he's a) an restricted FA and b) will be offered a contract the Lakers could not compete with. As a result, I fully expect Arenas to remain in Golden State next year.

To fill this void, I'd like to see former Trojan, Robert Pack, return to SoCal. When given the legitimate minutes this season (20 or more), he averaged 2+ steals per game, around 8-10 points and 4-6 assists. Not great, but Pack can be fiesty and some of these stats would certainly be augmented by the presence of Shaq & co. The other good thing about Pack: he'd come here cheap. The chance to return to SoCal and the opportunity to get a ring would certainly be enticing.

Step #3
Bring in Scottie Pippen. This one is a virtual no-brainer. He knows the triangle, helps in a number of ways (including defense), and can take a backseat to the other egos on the team. Plus, at his age, the asking price would be low.

Phew! Not bad for my first post. Now its your turn to sound off! I'm anxious to read your comments.

Postby Hughes on Fri May 09, 2003 10:11 am

Not sure why this thing is wrapping statements repeatedly. Looks like a bug in the board. I've tried to correct it, but it gets fowled up each time I re-post it.
Hughes

Postby JSM on Fri May 09, 2003 1:48 pm

Well instead of Howard what about P.J. Brown. I think he could be a more effective rebounder and scorer with the lakers than Howard could. And could also play center if Shaq gets injured. And as far as a point guard, I don't think Arenas is out of the question. I think he would be willing to take less money to play with the Lakers, he already said he would like to play for Phil after Phil expressed interest in him, and also for a chance to play eith Kobe and Shaq and get a championship. I do think Pippen would be a nice addition to the team. And we need to trade for a better draft pick if possible and get someone that can help us in the future. Any ideas on who that cold be?
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Hughes on Fri May 09, 2003 4:49 pm

Since Gilbert Arenas is a restricted FA, another ball club would be forced to pay him an extremely high salary to wedge him away from Golden State. And, even in that circumstance, Golden State can match the offer.

Considering the Lakers will not be in position to pay Arenas a king's ransom, we should be eyeing other potential PGs.

As for PJ Brown, I like him as well. The only problem is his age (mid 30s) and aggressiveness on offense. The Lakers are a much better team whenever a third option is driving to the basket. Howard can post up and has enough athleticism to make the occasional run at the basket. I really can't say the same for Brown. Of course, he's certainly better than another round of Samaki Walker.
Hughes

Postby Hughes on Fri May 09, 2003 4:55 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Well instead of Howard what about P.J. Brown. I think he could be a more effective rebounder and scorer with the lakers than Howard could. And could also play center if Shaq gets injured. And as far as a point guard, I don't think Arenas is out of the question. I think he would be willing to take less money to play with the Lakers, he already said he would like to play for Phil after Phil expressed interest in him, and also for a chance to play eith Kobe and Shaq and get a championship. I do think Pippen would be a nice addition to the team. And we need to trade for a better draft pick if possible and get someone that can help us in the future. Any ideas on who that cold be?
One player to watch is high schooler James Lang (http://nbadraft.net/profiles/jameslang.htm). This kid is 6-11, 305 lbs...basically, a "miniature" version of Shaq. Might be a nice pick-up as I expect Shaq to be on his last leg (or, should I say, "knee") within 4-5 years.
Hughes

Postby Danny Ainge on Sun May 11, 2003 10:40 am

Enough with these fantasy unestablished players. Last year I wanted LA to sign DeAngelo Collins a promising PF with the skills of C-Webb, but did I get my wish...no. Our best bet is to obtain established players namely Pippen, Swift, and Arenas. When we do that I will shut my mouth.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 11, 2003 1:02 pm

I have heard from a lot of sports commentators that Malone could be a problem towards the Lakers locker room team chemistry. That he is too passionate and judgemental.

If that is true, I don't want him with the Lakers.

Team chemistry is important!!!!!!!
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue May 13, 2003 10:38 am

Yeah right. With Shaq, Kobe and Malone...team chemistry would be about as important as what brand of cough medicine Stu and Sundy use when they have a cold...karl can get his record scoring 14ppg for three years with LA. Derek Fisher averages almost 11 for god's sake, you don't think Karl could average 14? And he doesn't even need to average 14 for EVERY game either, only about 70 games a year. He can easily do that and I expect him here (along with PJ Brown and Gilbert Arenas) next season. Pippen is a wash because he does not want to go to the Lakers, he has already said that. We need to listen to him and stop assuming he would come here because like he said, Phil is just a guy that used to coach him...nothing more...
Snakell Beast

Return to Lakers Discussion