Rebuild Rhetoric: Randle = Step #1, Step #2 = Lin, #3?

Re: Tank Talk: what to do, who to sign, where we draft?

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:49 pm

If the plan truly is Love or another target in 2015, would anyone be in favor of keeping our own free agents on frontloaded contracts? We should have roughly 26M in cap space if we stretch Nash, including our rookie & minimum cap holds.. Offer 3 year deals to Pau, Hill, & Young.. Pau 12/8/8, Young & Hill both 7/2/2.. it would completely kill our cap space for next summer but then in 2015 we'd have Pau/Hill/Young on the books for a combined 12M.
LakersN4

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:24 pm

halekulani wrote:
last stand wrote:
halekulani wrote:
last stand wrote:Scouts have already questioned Parker's athleticism due to his struggles against long athletic defenders at the college level. When faced with athletic defenders he has consistently been relegated to jump shooting

That issue will only be exacerbated in the nba

outside of wiggins who shut him down for a half who else has shut down parker one on one?

parker has shown time and time again he can get to the rim and isn't afraid of contact.

Who said he's afraid of contact?

Struggled against wiggins, became a jump shooter anytime Aaron Gordon defended him, struggled against a long athletic Maryland team twice, Struggled against long defenders on Virginia, struggled vs Miami and FSU who both have long athletic forwards

Excelled against Syracuse zone the second time and didn't suffer the first time because he's a jump shooter

uh
because you said he kept deferring to his jumper
my point is that he will attack and take anyone to the rim.

lol
long athletic maryland with a lineup of charles mitchell, jake layman, and smotrycz???
hahaha
last year when they had alex len they were one of the best rebounding teams, but obv this year is a completely different story

miami and FSU? seriously???? his shot wasn't dropping those games but he was outrebounding them the whole game and getting to the line. they also won both those games by like 20 pts each

is your whole assessment of 'struggling' based on fg%?

Based off of him taking tons of contested jumpers

Since when does deferring to jumpers=afraid of contact
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby halekulani on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:29 pm

last stand wrote:
halekulani wrote:
last stand wrote:
halekulani wrote:
last stand wrote:Scouts have already questioned Parker's athleticism due to his struggles against long athletic defenders at the college level. When faced with athletic defenders he has consistently been relegated to jump shooting

That issue will only be exacerbated in the nba

outside of wiggins who shut him down for a half who else has shut down parker one on one?

parker has shown time and time again he can get to the rim and isn't afraid of contact.

Who said he's afraid of contact?

Struggled against wiggins, became a jump shooter anytime Aaron Gordon defended him, struggled against a long athletic Maryland team twice, Struggled against long defenders on Virginia, struggled vs Miami and FSU who both have long athletic forwards

Excelled against Syracuse zone the second time and didn't suffer the first time because he's a jump shooter

uh
because you said he kept deferring to his jumper
my point is that he will attack and take anyone to the rim.

lol
long athletic maryland with a lineup of charles mitchell, jake layman, and smotrycz???
hahaha
last year when they had alex len they were one of the best rebounding teams, but obv this year is a completely different story

miami and FSU? seriously???? his shot wasn't dropping those games but he was outrebounding them the whole game and getting to the line. they also won both those games by like 20 pts each

is your whole assessment of 'struggling' based on fg%?

Based off of him taking tons of contested jumpers

Since when does deferring to jumpers=afraid of contact

i already explained what i meant by that sentence as a whole, but you insist on focusing on the latter half for whatever sperg reason
halekulani

Postby Damian Necronamous on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:04 pm

The team tank best case scenario shakes out like this, IMO...let's just keep on losing!!

Waive Steve Nash (possibly using the stretch provision, or not)
Get a Top 3 pick and select SF Jabari Parker
Pick up Kendall Marshall's team option
Nick Young picks up his player option
Re-sign Jodie Meeks, Xavier Henry and Jordan Farmar for ~$9M total per season
Sign Greg Monroe for 4 yrs/$60M
Sign Emeka Okafor and Jason Smith to one-year deals

Jordan Farmar / Kendall Marshall
Kobe Bryant / Jodie Meeks / Xavier Henry
Jabari Parker / Nick Young
Jason Smith / Lavoy Allen
Greg Monroe / Emeka Okafor / Robert Sacre

We then add Kevin Love the following season, and have Parker, Monroe and Love to attract a big time FA in 2016, like Durant or DeRozan.
Damian Necronamous

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:16 pm

Damian Necronamous wrote:The team tank best case scenario shakes out like this, IMO...let's just keep on losing!!

Waive Steve Nash (possibly using the stretch provision, or not)
Get a Top 3 pick and select SF Jabari Parker
Pick up Kendall Marshall's team option
Nick Young picks up his player option
Re-sign Jodie Meeks, Xavier Henry and Jordan Farmar for ~$9M total per season
Sign Greg Monroe for 4 yrs/$60M
Sign Emeka Okafor and Jason Smith to one-year deals

Jordan Farmar / Kendall Marshall
Kobe Bryant / Jodie Meeks / Xavier Henry
Jabari Parker / Nick Young
Jason Smith / Lavoy Allen
Greg Monroe / Emeka Okafor / Robert Sacre

We then add Kevin Love the following season, and have Parker, Monroe and Love to attract a big time FA in 2016, like Durant or DeRozan.

Big time FA DeRozan? :man3:
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby Center Court on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:06 am

I think people need to drop the idea of Stevenson, Monroe, Derozan, etc. That is absolutely not the way we are going to go.

Stevenson, in particular, is a nice player. But he is not the guy you give up a significant portion of cap for. He is a guy that if you draft and have a championship core in tact, you have no problem re-signing for big money to keep him away from talent hungry bottom feeders. He's a guy that can out you over the top, not build around. A team like Indiana is perfect as there is PG and a collection of guys who can be the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th option on any given night.

I am not sure why people want us to waste cap space on non-superstar players.

This summer should be about drafting a superstar, replacing MDA, and going after LeBron. When/If Bron doesn't happen, bring back the guys you want long term on front loaded deals, get healthy, and get back into the playoffs. 2015, sign Love and see what happens with Kyrie and where things are headed for KD.

No matter what transpires, this draft his huge and will help dictate what the future brings. I think Parker is going to be superstar. I think Wiggins will be special as well. Exum has enormous potential. But Embiid is the guy I think I'd take first.

Love, Parker, Kyrie
Embiid, Love, Kyrie
Emiid, Love, KD
Love, Wiggins, Kyrie
Love, KD, Exum

I pray for one of those scenarios. Scary for the rest of the league.
Center Court

Postby Jordan-esque on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:27 am

If you watched the Duke vs Syracuse game, Jabari Parker was basically regulated as a catch-and-shoot 3 point jump shooter the whole 1st half. Whenever Parker put the ball on the floor, he turned it over.

In the 2nd half he finally was able to get to the rim successfully 2 out of 3 times (1 contact layup, 1 fouled, 1 turnover) and he also had a good put back dunk.

Parker's biggest problem has always been on defense on the other hand.

Here's full breakdown from another forum on his offensive and defensive possessions good & bad:

Offense: First half, he was regulated as a catch-and-shoot jumpshooter in and all were assisted on. When he tried to put the ball on the floor and create a shot, they all ended up in turnovers. When he posted the ball up, they ended up blocked or a turnover. It was a good thing his catch-and-shoot jumpers were falling. Second half, he had another catch-and-shoot 3-pointer, but also a put back dunk, and made 2 one-dribble drive to the paint for the contact (he made 1). If he put up more upper body strength he probably would've finished more of his contact layup.

Defense: Disappointing pick and roll defense. First time Syracuse played PnR against him, Parker rotated late and got burned which resulted in a layup by Fair. Since then when the PnR was played again 5x's against Parker, he tried to over compensate by rotating too soon, the result was 2 dunk attempts by Grant, a layup by Fair, a layup by Ennis, a layup by Christmas. The last PnR transition, Parker didn't even bother fighting against the screen. He was usually the last one back on transition defense. He also couldn't hold Christmas in the post. The good thing is that Parker was still able to get consistent defensive rebounds in this game, think he had a double-double.

Btw Rodney Hood deserves the game ball from last night's game. Duke ran a post high offense around him in the center, and he dissected it well making the right shots and decisions. He also had the game deciding blocking call.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby S.R.05 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:57 am

^i did watch that game, and i still was pretty impressed with parker. he made the majority of his long range shots from what i remember, and got involved on the boards and in the paint when he had the chances. i really think he's the most sure fire all-star level prospect in this draft. embiid, wiggins, and maybe exum could potentially be better but i'd be surprised if parker doesn't end up an all-star
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby last stand on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:29 am

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:^i did watch that game, and i still was pretty impressed with parker. he made the majority of his long range shots from what i remember, and got involved on the boards and in the paint when he had the chances. i really think he's the most sure fire all-star level prospect in this draft. embiid, wiggins, and maybe exum could potentially be better but i'd be surprised if parker doesn't end up an all-star

He easily has the highest floor of anyone.
At worst he's gonna score 18ppg on jump shots

That's not bad

Having said that he has the lowest ceiling of the top 4

So it's give and take
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:23 am

so the last shall be first, and the first last

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby unpossibl1 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:11 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:so the last shall be first, and the first last

NIce, but we are currently 5th in the draft order behind Mil, Phi, Orl, and Bos. Those two wins over the Celtics really hurt us. Realistically it's going to take another bombardment of injuries for us to catch Orlando, but I certainly don't wish that on our guys. The remaining games we have against Orlando, Milwaukee, Sacramento, and Utah will be huge, absolutely have to lose those ones.

At this point there isn't anything left to play for. Wish we could just fast forward to the end of the season. 26 games left...I think if we win more than 3 of them we won't have any shot at catching the Magic. Philly and Milwaukee are long gone, the only way either of them are getting a win is if they play each other.

We have a tough schedule to finish the season but there are some VERY dangerous winnable games in there.

2/28 vs SAC
3/4 vs NO
3/23 vs ORL
3/25 vs NY
3/27 @ MIL
3/28 @ MIN
4/2 @ SAC
4/4 vs DAL
4/14 @ UTAH
4/16 @ SAN (last game, Spurs will be resting everyone)

If we win more than 3 of those (or just beat Orlando) then I think we are going to be outside the top 3, maybe even outside the top 5 depending on whether we beat Sacramento or not.
unpossibl1

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:07 am

Funny how "sky is falling" now means that we're likely to win some games. But our ace in the hole is still Dan.

:man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby kenzo on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:23 am

Getting a top 4 pick would be awesome. If we get a top 7 pick, we can still grab a nice player (although not a star in my opinion). Anything outside top 7 is a WASTED SEASON. We never tank but this is the season to go for it, it's a must :man9:
Last edited by kenzo on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby Savory Griddles on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:41 am

I can't be the only person to notice this. Back when the team was hovering around .500, a lot of people got very passionate any time someone brought up the subject of tanking. "We're the Lakers! We don't Tank!!!" Now that the season has officially fallen apart, we all be like, "Damn! that season sweep against our arch nemesis the Celtics REALLY hurt us." :man10:
Savory Griddles

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:47 am

Well, you never count a team out with Kobe on it. Pau was rounding back in form, Steve Blake was healthy and playing well. We had the best bench in the league with Farmar and Young playing well. Had Kobe gone back to 2013 form, I had no doubt to be a Top-6 team.

Now with our situation, we have a huge opportunity to grab a possible franchise player/all-star type player in the lottery. It's hard to admit, but Kobe doesn't have much time left and if we're lucky enough, we can grab a player who he can pass the torch to.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:06 am

Savory Griddles wrote:I can't be the only person to notice this. Back when the team was hovering around .500, a lot of people got very passionate any time someone brought up the subject of tanking. "We're the Lakers! We don't Tank!!!" Now that the season has officially fallen apart, we all be like, "Damn! that season sweep against our arch nemesis the Celtics REALLY hurt us." :man10:

I would never, ever, ever, ever, never feel badly about beating the Celtics twice in one season. Ever.

I'm not sure any fan of the Lakers should feel that way. Certainly not one that knows the history of the franchises. Heck, all you have to do is go back to 2008 and yet some people still are upset about that? Really? I'll stop there before I get more upset thinking about it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:36 am

hope these Queens pick up a nice little winning streak so we have fortify at least 4th :man10: ...at this point 1-2 worse records in Bucks/Sixers aren't going anywhere, Orl has some fight in them here and there.
khmrP

Postby TheOp on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:16 pm

I have a feeling we will still get lucky and pick up the 1st or 2nd pick somehow. The Bulls went from 9th worst record to 1st overall pick and the Cavs got the number 1 pick for Lebron. Shady things happen in the NBA and im sure they would love to gift us a star.
TheOp

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:48 pm

TheOp wrote:I have a feeling we will still get lucky and pick up the 1st or 2nd pick somehow. The Bulls went from 9th worst record to 1st overall pick and the Cavs got the number 1 pick for Lebron. Shady things happen in the NBA and im sure they would love to gift us a star.

If we're going to get a high pick via rigging, I think the Clips flaming out in the first round works in our favor.. If they start to sense they're going to lose money from the LA market they would have much more incentive to rig things in our favor.
LakersN4

Postby halekulani on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Jordan-esque wrote:If you watched the Duke vs Syracuse game, Jabari Parker was basically regulated as a catch-and-shoot 3 point jump shooter the whole 1st half. Whenever Parker put the ball on the floor, he turned it over.

In the 2nd half he finally was able to get to the rim successfully 2 out of 3 times (1 contact layup, 1 fouled, 1 turnover) and he also had a good put back dunk.

strangely enough i noticed that when parker flashes to the high post, his teammates ice him out and don't pass him the ball. i have no idea why his teammates do this to him all the time.
halekulani

Postby SK8 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:59 am

The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:32 am

Embiid hasn't looked that good in a while. He seems less explosive and slower for some reason. A guy with his supposed talents should impact the game more based on sheer athleticism alone. I'm not seeing that.

I would take Wiggins over Embiid. His game and talents are much better suited for today's NBA. It would not shock me one bit if Embiid busts. I mean the guy has some solid tools but nothing nearing Hakeem type tools. Not even close.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:35 am

^^^
I agree with the Embiid assessment. I know he's getting tired, but if he's wearing out during the short college season, how's he gonna fair in the 82 game grind?

There's a lot of talk about Parker in this thread the last couple pages. You know we're going to draft 7th or 8th and take Doug McDermott, right? :bang:
Savory Griddles

Postby Center Court on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:54 am

Something about Exum screams star to me. I've watched every clip on youtube, follow him on IG, and read everything I can.

The guy seems to have this extreme desire to be a great. He WANTS to play with Kobe. He asked Mayweather at a Laker game for pointers on what it takes to be a great. He's not just some kid who wants to dunk the ball and play well. He wants to understand the nuances of greatness. That will is what made Kobe. His physical gifts are crazy but more intriguing than that is his passion.

From what I've read he's got the motor and open court speed of a Westbrook, the ability to weave his way to the basket in the half-court similar to how D Wade does, great leadership, and good floor instincts. His shot is said to be a little flat but that completely correctable. Once he gets on the Kobe summer "1,000 per day" program all that will correct itself. And strictly based size, he's a PG version of what KD is like. Too big/lanky/long/quick. Will that pan out or will he be Shaun Livingston, who knows.

Still there is not a chance that I would take him in the top 3 but he's my easy choice at 4. If we get Exum, I'd love to see a lineup of Exum/Durant/Love one day. If we get Parker or Wiggins, Kyrie/Parker or Wiggins/Love.

I'm excited as hell for the tourney and us drafting top 5 gives me all the reason in the world to watch as much as possible.
Center Court

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:59 am

It's funny but I never watch college basketball and the only reason why i'm doing it this year is just to scout the talent. I have never been more excited about a draft than this one. Actually, the ping pong selection will really be the moment.
Lets Go Lakers

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion