Rebuild Rhetoric: Randle = Step #1, Step #2 = Lin, #3?

Re: Tank Talk: what to do, who to sign, where we draft?

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:16 am

Center Court wrote:Something about Exum screams star to me. I've watched every clip on youtube, follow him on IG, and read everything I can.

The guy seems to have this extreme desire to be a great. He WANTS to play with Kobe. He asked Mayweather at a Laker game for pointers on what it takes to be a great. He's not just some kid who wants to dunk the ball and play well. He wants to understand the nuances of greatness. That will is what made Kobe. His physical gifts are crazy but more intriguing than that is his passion.

From what I've read he's got the motor and open court speed of a Westbrook, the ability to weave his way to the basket in the half-court similar to how D Wade does, great leadership, and good floor instincts. His shot is said to be a little flat but that completely correctable. Once he gets on the Kobe summer "1,000 per day" program all that will correct itself. And strictly based size, he's a PG version of what KD is like. Too big/lanky/long/quick. Will that pan out or will he be Shaun Livingston, who knows.

Still there is not a chance that I would take him in the top 3 but he's my easy choice at 4. If we get Exum, I'd love to see a lineup of Exum/Durant/Love one day. If we get Parker or Wiggins, Kyrie/Parker or Wiggins/Love.

I'm excited as hell for the tourney and us drafting top 5 gives me all the reason in the world to watch as much as possible.

Tough to make those athletic comparisons, I kind of doubt them.

But Exum is certainly an intriguing prospect.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:47 am

Savory Griddles wrote:^^^
I agree with the Embiid assessment. I know he's getting tired, but if he's wearing out during the short college season, how's he gonna fair in the 82 game grind?

There's a lot of talk about Parker in this thread the last couple pages. You know we're going to draft 7th or 8th and take Doug McDermott, right? :bang:

Embiid impacts the game in other facets than his scoring.

He's legitimately anchoring the Kansas defense making them one of the top defensive teams of recent. His stats may not show how he's impacting the game, but he is. He changes A LOT of shots. He tips out a lot of rebounds, he creates a lot of turnovers with his long arms. And when he does score, he usually does it at a high FG%. Lots of analysts are seeing this. As for his conditioning? The kid has only played 2 years of organized basketball, big guys always get tired easily. Kobe had a very tough time transitioning from the HS level to NBA too, he admitted it.

The same "assessment" can be said for Wiggins. But the opposite. Wiggins has big numbers, yet he's still very passive. A lot of his scoring comes off open jumpshots or free throws, but when it comes down to creating for himself, he's not very adept to that other than his usual driving to the basket. He's a terrific rebounder and his motor is constant, but he's still very raw.

Parker is probably the only consistent player I've watched that can do this. Strangely, he falls into the same pitfalls that Melo does. He'll get into sequences where he starts throwing up shots or turns the ball over, or he'll get really hot.

No one is a sure shot. That's not known until these guys get to the NBA.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:01 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
I agree with the Embiid assessment. I know he's getting tired, but if he's wearing out during the short college season, how's he gonna fair in the 82 game grind?

There's a lot of talk about Parker in this thread the last couple pages. You know we're going to draft 7th or 8th and take Doug McDermott, right? :bang:

He's legitimately anchoring the Kansas defense making them one of the top defensive teams of recent. His stats may not show how he's impacting the game, but he is. He changes A LOT of shots. He tips out a lot of rebounds, he creates a lot of turnovers with his long arms. And when he does score, he usually does it at a high FG%. Lots of analysts are seeing this. As for his conditioning? The kid has only played 2 years of organized basketball, big guys always get tired easily. Kobe had a very tough time transitioning from the HS level to NBA too, he admitted it.

The same "assessment" can be said for Wiggins. But the opposite. Wiggins has big numbers, yet he's still very passive. A lot of his scoring comes off open jumpshots or free throws, but when it comes down to creating for himself, he's not very adept to that other than his usual driving to the basket. He's a terrific rebounder and his motor is constant, but he's still very raw.

Parker is probably the only consistent player I've watched that can do this. Strangely, he falls into the same pitfalls that Melo does. He'll get into sequences where he starts throwing up shots or turns the ball over, or he'll get really hot.

Yeah, but the thing is, i'm not really seeing him impact the game with his presence either. Sure, he's altering some shots and grabbing some boards and getting some blocks but he should do that as he's 7'1" and somewhat athletic. But i'm not seeing him dominate in stretches like he did earlier in the year. I haven't been watching every Kansas game up close i'll admit but from what I've seen of him, he just hasn't stood out of late.

I've been more impressed with Wiggins lately though. He just oozes off the chart athleticism. The stuff you just can't teach. I mean at worst, the guy should be a Gerald Green type player but then again, Gerald Green has been lighting it up this year. With his raw tools, his ceiling is unlimited. I would take my chances with Wiggins and hope for the best if I had the #1 pick. His athleticism is simply on another level.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby LakerFanIam on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:01 am

Bottom 5 & falling...
LakerFanIam

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:19 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:

Yeah, but the thing is, i'm not really seeing him impact the game with his presence either. Sure, he's altering some shots and grabbing some boards and getting some blocks but he should do that as he's 7'1" and somewhat athletic. But i'm not seeing him dominate in stretches like he did earlier in the year. I haven't been watching every Kansas game up close i'll admit but from what I've seen of him, he just hasn't stood out of late.

I've been more impressed with Wiggins lately though. He just oozes off the chart athleticism. The stuff you just can't teach. I mean at worst, the guy should be a Gerald Green type player but then again, Gerald Green has been lighting it up this year. With his raw tools, his ceiling is unlimited. I would take my chances with Wiggins and hope for the best if I had the #1 pick. His athleticism is simply on another level.

i'm not sure it's "on another level". he's not really dunking on anybody or really using it to his advantage. i agree, in combination with his wingspan, it's a rare combination and he has potential. with that type of athleticism and reach, he SHOULD be using it to his advantage. he should be shooting over players with ease the way Durant does. he should be finishing his drives with ease. he has a decent stroke, but only when he's set. what i want to see out of wiggins is skill and aggressiveness. i want to see him drive and pull up over a defender. i want to see him use footwork in the post. i want to see him make decisions. i haven't seen any of that this year, so his name isn't really screaming to me. i know kobe is on another level, but you watch what kobe did in high school and wiggins doesn't even begin to scratch the surface to what Kobe had even back then.

with embiid, his athleticism for his size is what's intriguing. the college game really isn't a post players environment when they can sit in the zone and force you to take outside shots, which is why embiid usually does better in certain games he gets man to man coverage, and why he'll look better in the NBA. guys like rodney hood and perry ellis have been living on this, putting in pretty significant numbers for kansas. but again, no one is really looking at them quite like wiggins and embiid.

either way, i don't think you can go wrong with either guy 1/2/3.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:54 am

Wiggins is still very raw. That's obvious. So you're not going to see some of the things you mentioned. You're drafting him more on potential than skills, just like Embiid. He still needs to develop his game. He's only 19, just like Embiid. He's played the game longer but he is still only 19. Basketball is a game of skills and as you grow older, you naturally start to add more to your game. Right now, he doesn't even really have a go to move to break down a set defender. The structured Kansas offense isn't helping him either. The wide open NBA game is perfectly suited for his talents. I'm just excited to see what he does at the next level. I'm hoping he is wearing purple and gold.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Well, I saw that a couple times with Embiid in the structured Kansas offense. Dream shake. Baseline spin. When he rises for a hook, there aren't many people who can challenge his size and wingspan.

Even if it's a couple times, it was a couple times more than what Dwight Howard has ever showed in his entire career. That's what has got me excited at what Embiid could potentially be. It's hard for me, imo, to pass up on a big man with this type of progression already.

Conditioning is not a problem for me, as that happens to every player transitioning to the NBA.

On the marketability side, I think Wiggins/Parker will have the bigger draw, because people yet to know who Embiid is. But if we get him with the first pick, A LOT of people are going to be surprised.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby OX1947 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Embiid
Love
Irving

Trio in the summer of 2016. That is my hope. If you get Wiggins instead of Embiid, I am still cool with that. Wiggins and Embiid are the only ones I believe can be championship franchise players in this years draft, with several all stars.
OX1947

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:36 pm

A lot of people bring Kyrie into their "dream lineups" when in reality it's going to be damn near impossible.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/1/31/5364376/kyrie-irving-trade-rumors-nba-free-agent-cavaliers-hook

tl;dr - Barring a trade, Kyrie would have to go through 2 years of drama (not signing an extension, teams forgoing RFA in 2015) to finally be free from Cleveland, but he would let go a large chunk of money.

The better option is Durant in 2016 anyway.

Embiid
Love
Durant

:man1:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby OX1947 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:47 pm

Kyrie at this moment is more realistic than Durant. Trust me, Embiid, Love and Durant is the team I want. Beyond the Beyondess.
OX1947

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:27 pm

That article just showed you why. Durant is an Unrestricted Free Agent in 2016, where as Kyrie is only a Restricted Free Agent in 2015 or he's poised to make a LOT of money through his extension. Either way, if Durant does not win by 2016 and Westbrook is not traded, I see him leaving, ESPECIALLY if we have Love and Embiid once Kobe leaves...if Kobe leaves.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby OX1947 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:17 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:That article just showed you why. Durant is an Unrestricted Free Agent in 2016, where as Kyrie is only a Restricted Free Agent in 2015 or he's poised to make a LOT of money through his extension. Either way, if Durant does not win by 2016 and Westbrook is not traded, I see him leaving, ESPECIALLY if we have Love and Embiid once Kobe leaves...if Kobe leaves.

Kyrie, by taking the qualifying offer in 2015 can become unrestricted in 2016. Nice problem to have when we clear 25 million in 2016, do we get Irving or Durant.
OX1947

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:17 pm

My guess is neither.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby last stand on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:Image

Looks pretty good. If he comes here Kobe better get his butt on a treadmill
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Jordan-esque on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:33 pm

ESPN just updated their Top 14 mock lottery today:

1. Joel Embiid

2. Andrew Wiggins

3. Dante Exum

4. Jabari Parker

5. Julius Randle

6. Aaron Gordon

7. Marcus Smart

8. Noah Vonleh

9. Dario Sarci

10. Gary Harris

11. Rodney Hood

12. Tyler Ennis

13. Jeremi Grant

14. Doug McDermott
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby Center Court on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Jordan-esque wrote:ESPN just updated their Top 14 mock lottery today:

1. Joel Embiid

2. Andrew Wiggins

3. Dante Exum

4. Jabari Parker

5. Julius Randle

6. Aaron Gordon

7. Marcus Smart

8. Noah Vonleh

9. Dario Sarci

10. Gary Harris

11. Rodney Hood

12. Tyler Ennis

13. Jeremi Grant

14. Doug McDermott

I just don't see Exum moving ahead of Parker and probably even Randle (unless we are picking 4th). Parker may go #1 overall or maybe he goes 2. No matter what, he is not falling past 3.
Center Court

Postby John3:16 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:01 pm

Center Court wrote:I just don't see Exum moving ahead of Parker and probably even Randle (unless we are picking 4th). Parker may go #1 overall or maybe he goes 2. No matter what, he is not falling past 3.

Agree. Barring an injury, Parker is in the top 3. No doubt about it.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jordan-esque on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:59 pm

last stand wrote:

^ That's one good photoshop, including the muscles. Looks like D-Fish's including the wristband.

Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby bigdog2013 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Just dont draft Randle. PF never work out the last few drafts.
bigdog2013

Postby last stand on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Lol ya Parker looks like Corey maggette in that picture
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby LOSLAKERS on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:37 pm

Officially worst in the West for the first time this season (maybe even in history) and 4th worst overall. We're so bad... and I love it :man9:
LOSLAKERS

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Jordan-esque wrote:
last stand wrote:

^ That's one good photoshop, including the muscles. Looks like D-Fish's including the wristband.

I don't think that's D-Fish, the person in the picture is shooting right handed. DFish has that lefty swag.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby S.R.05 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:49 pm

personally id go embiid, parker, wiggins, exum, randle, smart, in that order. it's seeming more and more likely we'll be in that top 6 and i'd be happy with any of those players
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby unpossibl1 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:53 pm

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:personally id go embiid, parker, wiggins, exum, randle, smart, in that order. it's seeming more and more likely we'll be in that top 6 and i'd be happy with any of those players

Agreed. I don't follow college basketball much but to me it seems like Randle wouldn't be a great fit. If we get Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, or Exum I would be happy. I just want to end up with the best possible pick we can get (ideally top 3) and from there I will trust Mitch and the Buss family (Jeannie more than Jim) to make the right choice.
unpossibl1

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:56 pm

I've just got this bad feeling that Embiid is going to be another big man bust if taken first (and if not a bust just a so so player), while Parker and Wiggins and some others turn into much better players. I guess that's just me though, I feel similar about Randle, undersized and overrated for the NBA. Embiid is just raw, I'm unsure if with him you get another Hibbert, or best case Anthony Davis type, or a Thabeet.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion