Rebuild Rhetoric: Randle = Step #1, Step #2 = Lin, #3?

Re: Tank Talk: what to do, who to sign, where we draft?

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:32 pm

While I really love the testicular fortitude this kid is showing wanting to be here, I'd go with someone who played in college who can be evaluated against the peers of his class. I'll hoping for Parker. That kid is special. We can't mess this draft up. This is a huge, huge pick for us. A stud rookie with cap space? Love it. I really hope we sit on the cash for a bit. I don't want anyone in this free agent class not named LeBron, which won't happen.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby nduri on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:11 pm

halekulani wrote:lol lavine just choked the most wide open jumper

omfg
dbejdkrkkdkskdjjd
whaaattttt
tie game???

Kobe choked 3 times against Utah, not comparing the two as players, but choking has the potential to motivate some players even more.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:46 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
V.V.V.V.V. wrote:^only if he gets a steady diet of PEDs the next couple of years like George did.

:man3:

Yes, I'm probably off the Res again Doc.

It just seems odd to me that George gets to the NBA and then grows another 2-3 inches. That's unheard of IMO.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:02 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
V.V.V.V.V. wrote:^only if he gets a steady diet of PEDs the next couple of years like George did.

Yes, I'm probably off the Res again Doc.

It just seems odd to me that George gets to the NBA and then grows another 2-3 inches. That's unheard of IMO.

Not really, although not very common, a person's growth plates can be delayed in fusion (which stops growth) and a person can grow at a later than normal age. At 20-21 years old, when his growth spurt happened, it's still possible that, that happened and he benefited from it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:33 am

How tall was Paul George when he got drafted? That's some incredible infomercial stuff, right there :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby LAKEROC on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:06 am

I was so pissed at the win last night. We could have been tied for third, with a loss there, and an Orlando win tonight. Just garbage. Stop trying to win games you idiots!!!!! Do you thik the players even understand what the fans want? We want losses and nothing but them til the season is over.
I also really love Exum, but I'm worried he won't even be there with the #4 pick. I just have this weird suspicion, so team(say, the Celtics or the Magic) will grab him, before we get a chance to pick. I really think when all is said and done you're actually looking at a draft order of:

1. Embiid
2. Wiggins
3. Exum
4. Parker

Parker is not who we need, and if that is where we end up with, I hope we ship the pick, for someone like a Kyrie Irving or Kevin Love. If we have the options of Embiid, Wiggins or Exum, then I want us to keep the pick, and take the best available. If we get the #3 pick, I do believe we will take Exum over Parker.
LAKEROC

Postby LAKEROC on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:06 am

I was so pissed at the win last night. We could have been tied for third, with a loss there, and an Orlando win tonight. Just garbage. Stop trying to win games you idiots!!!!! Do you thik the players even understand what the fans want? We want losses and nothing but them til the season is over.
I also really love Exum, but I'm worried he won't even be there with the #4 pick. I just have this weird suspicion, so team(say, the Celtics or the Magic) will grab him, before we get a chance to pick. I really think when all is said and done you're actually looking at a draft order of:

1. Embiid
2. Wiggins
3. Exum
4. Parker

Parker is not who we need, and if that is where we end up with, I hope we ship the pick, for someone like a Kyrie Irving or Kevin Love. If we have the options of Embiid, Wiggins or Exum, then I want us to keep the pick, and take the best available. If we get the #3 pick, I do believe we will take Exum over Parker.
LAKEROC

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:45 am

LAKEROC wrote:Stop trying to win games you idiots!!!!! Do you thik the players even understand what the fans want? We want losses and nothing but them til the season is over.

The players don't care what you have to think about wanting them to lose every game. I'm sure you would have a different opinion if people were rooting for you to do bad at your job, so that someone else can come in and do it for you the following year.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby TIME on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:57 am

Doc Brown wrote:
LAKEROC wrote:Stop trying to win games you idiots!!!!! Do you thik the players even understand what the fans want? We want losses and nothing but them til the season is over.

The players don't care what you have to think about wanting them to lose every game. I'm sure you would have a different opinion if people were rooting for you to do bad at your job, so that someone else can come in and do it for you the following year.

Not true. You must not be an expert lip reader or you would have seen Kaman pull Farmar aside and tell him, "Hey Ears, you need to pull it back. The posters over at Club Lakers are counting on us to tank this game! If you keep hitting threes they are gonna think we are a bunch of idiots!!!!!"
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:14 am

How old are you Roc?

You seem to think the Lakers' world, including the opinions of the players, revolves around you and your hopes and dreams. These are professional athletes with some pride and they don't want to lose. They have absolutely nothing to gain by getting beat over and over again.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LAKEROC on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:35 am

From a pure financial perspective, and thinking macrocosmicall about the situation, it certainly behooves the Lakers to lose now, get someone like the three players I have mentioned above, and continue on the tradition of this great franchise. The lakers will have zero first round picks in 2015, so when Kevin Love becomes a free agent, you won't have that blue chip prospect in 2015, as you will in 2014 to help entice him here. The Lakers need to look as attractive as they can for the future, and that means losing at this point in time. The Lakers serve no purpose to their fans, otr their organization in the long run by winning a few meaningless games. These game are not games that would push the Lakers into a playoff birth. They are completely out of contention. There is no point in trying to win games, and move from say a #3 or #4 pick to a #8 of #9. The long term consequences would be felt if they did this. Just continue to play hard, improve, but lose games. The lakers are in one of the most unique positions they have ever been in before. This is the one time, where losing is extremely beneficial to the team in the long run.
The last time the Lakers had a top 5 pick? James Worthy(#1 overall pick in 1982)!!!
LAKEROC

Postby therealdeal on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:07 am

LAKEROC wrote:From a pure financial perspective, and thinking macrocosmicall about the situation, it certainly behooves the Lakers to lose now, get someone like the three players I have mentioned above, and continue on the tradition of this great franchise.

Reminds me of when I would break out the thesaurus in high school to make my essays sound better.

The Lakers' franchise certainly would love a high draft pick, but the PLAYERS don't. What do the PLAYERS stand to gain by losing? Why would they want that? They're trying to earn their next paycheck. What do they care about the fans for? Are the fans going to give them millions of dollars to play basketball? Are the fans going to take care of their families?

I'm going to stop there before I say something disrespectful.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:39 am

LAKEROC wrote:I was so pissed at the win last night. We could have been tied for third, with a loss there, and an Orlando win tonight. Just garbage. Stop trying to win games you idiots!!!!! Do you thik the players even understand what the fans want? We want losses and nothing but them til the season is over.

1. Embiid
2. Wiggins
3. Exum
4. Parker

Parker is not going past 3rd no matter who selects there. Exum has high potential but so does Parker. Difference is that Parker is going to be ROY and can score right away. Maybe it takes him a couple years to improve on D, but he's a star on the NBA level. His flaws are bad but his good cannot be coached or taught.

I we got the #1 pick I could easily see us take Parker. Got a close friend who works at ESPN (LA Live location) and all the experts think that's who the Lakers would take #1. Primarily because he's the most ready. Though the Mormon thing does come into the picture for every team.

If we are at #4, there is no way to go wrong. I'd be shocked if anyone of Parker/Embiid/Wiggins were there. If they were then great. But I suspect us drafting at #4 would mean Exum is there for the taking.
Center Court

Postby angrypuppy on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:55 pm

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers took Parker if they had the first overall pick. I think Parker will be an immediate impact player and the closest to a sure thing in this draft. He would also take pressure off of a certain member of the Buss family who is looking incompetent. I'd much rather invest in Embiid, Wiggins or Exum and roll the dice, but all three look like risky, multi-year projects.

But perhaps I'm just kvetching about the direction of the front office. I think they bypassed a much better opportunity of winning a top pick when they refused to trade Pau, Hill, and Kaman; as it stands we might end up with too good a record.
angrypuppy

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:12 pm

I wouldn't be mad at us getting Parker at all, especially if Exum has his mind set on forcing his way here regardless.. Parker looks like he's almost guaranteed to be a Melo/Paul Pierce like scorer.. If he has Pierce's overall game we'd be in good shape for a rebuild.
LakersN4

Postby trodgers on Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:07 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby jimbo327 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:15 pm

We need to quickly sign Jimmer Fredette before the Chicago Bulls do. Lakers need to pick up value for nothing, and later flip it for a bigger value. So that how you build a team, it's not all about about these kids in the draft, they will probably not help in the next year...but 2-3 years down the line.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby Weezy on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:33 pm

We'd have to release someone first, we're at 15. Why would he want to come here though, we're awful, the Bulls are a playoff team?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Did you miss the last 2 years where the Kings tried to trade Jimmer and couldn't get squat for him?
Doc Brown

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:11 pm

LMAO of Lakeroc. Fanhood is amazing! :jam2:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby jbiggs on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:06 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:I don't know where to put this but I saw this tweet this morning and thought it was really cool. Today was the start of the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston so I was glued to the computer this morning:

@richarddeitsch

Asked for the top negotiators in the NBA, @dmorey (Daryl Morey) immediately said Mitch Kupchak of @Lakers. #SSAC14

and no he wasn't taking a shot at Mitch, I listened to this part of the interview and it was genuine.

:jam2: mitch is the man!
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby angrypuppy on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:10 am

Morey is right, Mitch is the best at squeezing out the last erg of trade value. Mitch is also outstanding at strategic (cap space planning). I doubt the front office problem is Mitch, its his boss.
angrypuppy

Postby Barnstable on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:37 am

angrypuppy wrote:Morey is right, Mitch is the best at squeezing out the last erg of trade value. Mitch is also outstanding at strategic (cap space planning). I doubt the front office problem is Mitch, its his boss.

I agree. I just wonder if Mitch is a yes man like they say. He's excellent at enacting plans, but I worry if he's following plans that aren't so wise without opposing them. I suppose I wouldn't worry about it if I trusted Jimmy.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:57 am

Mitch you would hope has the cajones to tell Jim going forward if he is being an idiot again like with Mike Brown and Mike (get him the hell out of here) D'antoni.
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby Center Court on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:11 am

And this is the one reason I think Buss doesn't hire Phil to be president of basketball op. Mitch is building his own legacy as a master GM and "too many chef's in the kitchen"... I disagree with that but I see both positions.

Nonetheless, I think Morey has shown to be an elite GM as well. Cool to hear him acknowledge Mitch as the best.
Center Court

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion